• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

torontoml

Alright watch gaf I have a TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph Calibre 16, it has a leather strap which has indented to a thicker wrist I had. I bought the watch off of Amazon and therefore it doesn't have an authenticity certificate as they were not a registered seller.

I'd like to get the strap replaced/changed, but I have no idea how to do it myself. How could I go about doing this.

Also I've wanted a Nomos since I saw the metro but 5k, although I have the money in the bank for it, just doesn't seem fiscally responsible in my current situation. Is there another quality watch for 2.5k in that range that's similar?

Alright watch gaf I have a TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph Calibre 16, it has a leather strap which has indented to a thicker wrist I had. I bought the watch off of Amazon and therefore it doesn't have an authenticity certificate as they were not a registered seller.

I'd like to get the strap replaced/changed, but I have no idea how to do it myself. How could I go about doing this.

Also I've wanted a Nomos since I saw the metro but 5k, although I have the money in the bank for it, just doesn't seem fiscally responsible in my current situation. Is there another quality watch for 2.5k in that range that's similar?

1 - Amazon is not AD so it means the certificate of authenticity is NOT STAMPED, it does not mean it's not there at all. Check again.

2 - Changing a strap will cost you $10 or can be done alone if you are not too bad with your hands (not my case). Make sure to measure the lug to lug length before buying one :)

3 - $5k is as fiscally irresponsible as $2.5k when a watch can be bought for $10. If you want to keep 2.5k as 'savings' just wait more to save the 7.5k and buy the Nomos :)

pwack

3 - $5k is as fiscally irresponsible as $2.5k when a watch can be bought for $10. If you want to keep 2.5k as 'savings' just wait more to save the 7.5k and buy the Nomos :)

Ignore this man. he is no fun.

How about Stowa -- the Antea, Antea Bauhaus, or the Partito? All of them are $1Kish. At that price you are practically losing money by not buying them.

https://www.stowa.de

Or the Jungians Max Bill line. They have hand-winding, quartz, or autos ranging from $500 to $1200, plus chronos above that.

3056c5d99c52254b73fd8cb0fc38af63.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got the seagull m308s from the massdrop. Really liking it, though it's a bit thick. I'm just glad to have something less to charge in my life now that I've ditched my glitchy pebble watch.

Anything I should know about automatic mechanicals? First time owning one.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Has anyone bought from hqmilton.com before? They were mentioned and recommended in GQ magazine and their prices on used Rolex's seem to be the lowest I've seen so far. The other day I saw a 1991 black Rolex Submariner on a green nato strap for $3800, and then after asking about it via email they said they would do $3700 shipped, which is the cheapest I've ever seen a Submariner. (although it's now no longer available)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I went ahead and got one of those Turtle reissues from Seiko. I went with the black and gold SRP775.
Feels very nice on the wrist, and I like the color combo which is classic Seiko. Unfortunately chapter ring is sliiiiiiiiiightly off much like with the SKX series. I'm keeping it on a repro Waffle strap rather than the included bracelet.

Phone pics, click to enlarge:

And here he is next to his older cousin a 6105-8119 which is all original save for the glass. I got that one a few months ago.

Anything I should know about automatic mechanicals? First time owning one.

Just wear and enjoy, it's mainspring is wound from your arms movement throughout the day. :)

I went ahead and got one of those Turtle reissues from Seiko. I went with the black and gold SRP775.
Feels very nice on the wrist, and I like the color combo which is classic Seiko. Unfortunately chapter ring is sliiiiiiiiiightly off much like with the SKX series. I'm keeping it on a repro Waffle strap rather than the included bracelet.

And here he is next to his older cousin a 6105-8119 which is all original save for the glass. I got that one a few months ago.

Just wear and enjoy, it's mainspring is wound from your arms movement throughout the day. :)

Classic in the making!

Where do you guys buy your NATO straps?

http://natostrapsco.com/

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've noticed that some Rolex submariners say "ROLEX" repeated around the inside of the case and some don't... is there any reason for this, or is this a sign of authenticity?

With the Rolex writing inside:

http://davidsw.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/16/IMG_5403.jpg
http://cdn.fratellowatches.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/RolexSubmariner14060M-10.jpg

Without it:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...TJuiZcKGzkFyXqNrOXW16urqGUCUJxIGkIe8vqBXmyL_Q
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c3/f6/94/c3f694e7fd9ca311795439ab52907fda.jpg

edit: I found my answer. Just in case anyone else wanted to know, that piece is called the rahaut. "For the Subs approx 2006/7 ( Z Serial) onwards had the Rolex engraving on the rehaut, earlier models didn't."

pwack

Here's mine. Very happy but soon switching to a NATO I think.

a2eda9a1b659f450311d21931e7d5f68.jpg

Ashhong

My GF recently bought me a Movado Bold watch, which is nice but not 100% my style. She says I am allowed to exchange it for another but it can't cost less (I felt guilty of the high price). It's 800$ at Nordstrom. Any suggestions for watches that can be found at Nordstrom or Macys around that price? If not those, then a watch brand that have retail stores in malls.

I currently own these watches, maybe you can judge my style

I like simple watches. Would love to get a real Nomos..that's the dream.

maeh2k

My GF recently bought me a Movado Bold watch, which is nice but not 100% my style. She says I am allowed to exchange it for another but it can't cost less (I felt guilty of the high price). It's 800$ at Nordstrom. Any suggestions for watches that can be found at Nordstrom or Macys around that price? If not those, then a watch brand that have retail stores in malls.

Going by the Nordstrom website it looks like they have some Mondaine watches in that price range.

pwack

There is no way in the world you should buy a watch at a retail store in a mall in the US where you are stuck paying full price and sales tax. You can get a $1000-$1100 watch at an AD where you can negotiate down to $800ish, or buy grey market Amazon well below MSRP for most watches. (Amazon in yor range I'd suggest Frederique Constant or Alpina)

I'm a former NOMOS owner and a firm believer that they are way over priced. I say if that's the style you like, you could return the watch and get a Junghans Max Bill. Auto MSRP is $890 from Watchbuys, who may not negotiate price but will save you sales tax. Sure, that's more than $800, but return the watch and sell the Rodina on the watch forums and you are there. There are also Quartz and hand wind Max Bills that are cheaper.

JU-008.jpg

http://wornandwound.com/2014/03/14/hands-on-with-max-bill-watches-by-junghans/

If you had to do Nordstroms or Macy's, I'd say Hamilton. Either small seconds auto or the Intra-Matic.

DSC_8768.jpg

HAMILTON_INTRA-MATIC_CASE3.jpg

Edit -- this guy is $700ish on Amazon.
img61388772.jpg

pwack

Hi guys/gals,

My wife bought me a watch for Xmas, does anyone know what the strap type is called? I'd like to get a leather version.

No real name for it. A notched strap, essentially. What is the specific watch and/or what are the dimensions of the strap (overal width and width of the notch, both in millimeters). Let us know and we can find you something.

Edit: tell us the name of the watch, actually. It may have proprietary lugs from the looks of it.

Ashhong

There is no way in the world you should buy a watch at a retail store in a mall in the US where you are stuck paying full price and sales tax. You can get a $1000-$1100 watch at an AD where you can negotiate down to $800ish, or buy grey market Amazon well below MSRP for most watches. (Amazon in yor range I'd suggest Frederique Constant or Alpina)

I'm a former NOMOS owner and a firm believer that they are way over priced. I say if that's the style you like, you could return the watch and get a Junghans Max Bill. Auto MSRP is $890 from Watchbuys, who may not negotiate price but will save you sales tax. Sure, that's more than $800, but return the watch and sell the Rodina on the watch forums and you are there. There are also Quartz and hand wind Max Bills that are cheaper.

JU-008.jpg

http://wornandwound.com/2014/03/14/hands-on-with-max-bill-watches-by-junghans/

If you had to do Nordstroms or Macy's, I'd say Hamilton. Either small seconds auto or the Intra-Matic.

DSC_8768.jpg

HAMILTON_INTRA-MATIC_CASE3.jpg

Edit -- this guy is $700ish on Amazon.
img61388772.jpg

She at first said retail stores because she is weary of fakes online. But I've convinced her to do online as well. I really like that Hamilton Small Seconds, but just how small is the face? I'm used to 42-45mm, even though I have a fairly small wrist. Worried that 40mm is too small.

Is Ashford.com a reputable site? They have the Hamilton for 750

Oh also the fact that it's an automatic kind of makes me weary...I find it a hassle because I don't wear them all the time. My current daily driver is my Citizen eco drive and it's amazing since it just needs light.

No real name for it. A notched strap, essentially. What is the specific watch and/or what are the dimensions of the strap (overal width and width of the notch, both in millimeters). Let us know and we can find you something.

Edit: tell us the name of the watch, actually. It may have proprietary lugs from the looks of it.

It's this one:

MK

Looked online and found no similar lug design.

Ashhong

Ok, I've narrowed it down to three Hamiltons.

The third watch is an updated version of the second, the only difference being the addition of a seconds dial. I think the original is cleaner however it seems to be out of production and I can't find it at a decent price.

I also like the first one, especially because it's smaller and might make for a better daily driver for me, but look at the seconds hand..it's off center! That might bother me.

Thoughts?

npm0925

Can any of you offer recommendations for a watch similar to the Tissot Visodate? I want something of the same or a lesser price, gold housing, automatic with a hand wind option, sapphire crystal, and preferably a leather band. Just trying to see what else is out there.

Aske

Ok, I've narrowed it down to three Hamiltons.

The third watch is an updated version of the second, the only difference being the addition of a seconds dial. I think the original is cleaner however it seems to be out of production and I can't find it at a decent price.

I also like the first one, especially because it's smaller and might make for a better daily driver for me, but look at the seconds hand..it's off center! That might bother me.

Thoughts?

I do like Hamilton watches.

Without looking it up, I'd imagine the movement hacks (second hand stops when crown is pulled out to adjust the minute and hour hands), so the second hand should be fixable on the first one.

For my tastes, the third watch is the best looking of the three; but I'm chronograph biased.

Ashhong

I do like Hamilton watches.

Without looking it up, I'd imagine the movement hacks (second hand stops when crown is pulled out to adjust the minute and hour hands), so the second hand should be fixable on the first one.

For my tastes, the third watch is the best looking of the three; but I'm chronograph biased.

How would the second hand be fixable?

I think the middle is my favorite right now, as I found out the third one is 45mm and the middle is 41mm. I am also weary after reading about the maintenance cost for autos.

However the second one is 200$ out of budget so I've decided to pass for now. I found the first one in a Quartz with a centered second hand and also one with a date instead of seconds, so might pick one of those if it has the same sunburst effect on the face as the auto in the picture. Bought them both as well as the third watch (the chrono) from Amazon and will return what I don't like..

pwack

I've been changing up the collection recently. Sold off a bunch, bought the SRP775, just purchased this:

Thoughts?

Off-center meaning its not a center seconds hand? I like that style. Off-center meaning it looks like it is closer to 7 than 5? I think that's just bad perspective on the pic.

Anyone have a recommendation on a where to get a good link/band removal tool?

Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJ4RYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7G45I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ashhong

Off-center meaning its not a center seconds hand? I like that style. Off-center meaning it looks like it is closer to 7 than 5? I think that's just bad perspective on the pic.

Off center meaning the center seconds hand itself. I've never seen it before. But regardless, that option is off the table since I don't want to deal with automatic maintenance. I found the same watch in Quartz and a centered hand. The chrono was also way too big for my wrist so that's out. These are my two options, as well as a different Movado I saw

I wish the first one had a date instead of the dial. Or both. I think that one wears a bit better. It's 40 vs 42

ultra7k

I've long wanted a diver watch, but c the one I really want (hello, Seamaster 300) is out of my price range for a while.

I've considered the following:
Casio's cheapo diver
Orient Mako/Ray
Seiko Fifty Fathoms/007

And a whole host of others. I almost pulled the trigger on the Casio a couple times, but it was lacking a little something, and I did not want a quartz.

Seriously considered the Orient, but did not want to buy a second one due to my daily driver being an Orient.

Thought seriously about a Seiko, but in the end decided against it.

Then, I remembered coming across Vostok a while back, a Russian watch maker. After reading up a bit on the Amphibian (also known as the scuba dude) and it's cold war design I figured why not! They are cheap, durable and unique. The Water Resist goes up to 200m with a screw in crown, but the genius is in how the domed crystal provides pressure at greater depths to give a greater seal inside against water. Lume is a bit lacking but whatever.

I've ordered the parts needed to swap out the bezel from the red/black dots, and am going to replace the default strap with a black/gray nylon Bond-esque strap.

The only downside is this is coming from Russia, so now I have to play the waiting game. All in all, can't complain about a easily moddable diver with 200m water resist, tons of history and super durability for about $160 CAD all said and done (The modifications cost almost as much as the watch itself...)

Will post pics when I've got it all.

pwack

Off center meaning the center seconds hand itself. I've never seen it before. But regardless, that option is off the table since I don't want to deal with automatic maintenance. I found the same watch in Quartz and a centered hand. The chrono was also way too big for my wrist so that's out. These are my two options, as well as a different Movado I saw

I wish the first one had a date instead of the dial. Or both. I think that one wears a bit better. It's 40 vs 42

Sorry for the delay. I vote for no. 1.

Took the turtle on vacation:

d05315a4895ebd7f339e6b6f87762425.jpg

25bd98821df1b728c530717d02e526f9.jpg

35fea79b2e2be130091a9847aeaaebe1.jpg

ef2adad5d02ad0f522ed8fac8193620d.jpg

Macnair

M72x6Oo.jpg

My only watch since 2009. Built like a tank and I only changed the battery once.

I want to get another F1 but their prices are way too much now. I'm eyeing the automatic ones.

RBH

Hey guys, this is my first time in this thread and I was hoping to get some advice.

I've never purchased a watch before, and lately, I've been itching to finally get one. I just don't know how to go about conducting my search.

I plan on wearing this watch in the hospital for the majority of my time.

I've looked at a few watches online over the past few days, and I fell in love with the look of the Stowa Antea. Based on looks alone, that would be my ideal pick, but I'm kinda iffy about spending ~$1000 on my very first watch. Maybe something more in the price range of $200-$400 right now. I do want something that's similar in looks though (white face, leather strap preferred) if I can't get the Stowa.

I've looked at a couple of different brands over the past few days that have some watches that are kinda similar looks-wise when compared to the Stowa:

-Skagen
-Daniel Wellington
-Rodina

I was just wondering if any of these brands are worth looking into, or if there are other options that are better.

I also don't know about what to look for as far as researching the "movement" of watches in general.

I'm honestly pretty clueless about all of this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated. :)

nib95

Banned
So whilst I was on holiday in Copenhagen, I complimented some random guys watch whilst on a train, which led to an hour long conversation with him about it, and how it was a prototype he was wearing for a product line soon to be launched on Kickstarter. We got off the train, he pulled out this shoebox full of samples, test units and everything else. It was amazing. I even shared details on some products I was working on myself for KS. Unfortunately he wouldn't sell me one of the newer prototypes he had, despite my efforts to persuade him, as he only had two of them. After some further persuasion, he did however agree to sell me some of the older one's he had for next to nothing, now worn by my wife. In any case, he emailed me when the KS went live and I immediately backed it. I should receive it in the next month or two according to Janus.

VEJRHØJ NAUTIC 58° NORTH

12224230_1694953720743003_417642250_n.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hey guys, this is my first time in this thread and I was hoping to get some advice.

I've never purchased a watch before, and lately, I've been itching to finally get one. I just don't know how to go about conducting my search.

I plan on wearing this watch in the hospital for the majority of my time.

I've looked at a few watches online over the past few days, and I fell in love with the look of the Stowa Antea. Based on looks alone, that would be my ideal pick, but I'm kinda iffy about spending ~$1000 on my very first watch. Maybe something more in the price range of $200-$400 right now. I do want something that's similar in looks though (white face, leather strap preferred) if I can't get the Stowa.

I've looked at a couple of different brands over the past few days that have some watches that are kinda similar looks-wise when compared to the Stowa:

-Skagen
-Daniel Wellington
-Rodina

I was just wondering if any of these brands are worth looking into, or if there are other options that are better.

I also don't know about what to look for as far as researching the "movement" of watches in general.

I'm honestly pretty clueless about all of this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated. :)
Welcome to the addiction :)
The Antea would be a great choice for your first collectible watch.
Great resouces for infos about watches in general, pros and cons of the different movement types (Quartz, automatic, handwound etc.) and the hobby in general can be found on the watchuseek forums: http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php
please keep us posted about your decision making process.

I need help with my skx007 bracelet. I removed my rubber band to put the bracelet back on, but I'm having a problem: the ends that attaches to the case won't secure tightly. They keep sliding around or they're loose hanging. Here's what I'm talking about:

IMG_2136_zpsd3c2ff74.jpg

Not my pic. But see the last piece that attaches to the case in between the lugs, and covers the case where the pins go in? That's what I'm talking about. This has never happened before, and I really don't want to take my watch to a shop.

Edit-I've tried everything. I got some pliers and tighten those little annoying flaps on the bottoms. I just don't know why all of a sudden they would be so loose.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that sounds like there is something wrong with the spring bars, maybe replace them or have them replaced.

RoKKeR

New pickup, Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 40mm, really love the look and feel.

I have pretty thin wrists but thankfully the tightest setting is just fine, if not a bit loose. The strap is an interesting one, do you guys see any way you could potentially shorten it? Other than punching a hole in the lighter material I don't see one.

pwack

I need help with my skx007 bracelet. I removed my rubber band to put the bracelet back on, but I'm having a problem: the ends that attaches to the case won't secure tightly. They keep sliding around or they're loose hanging. Here's what I'm talking about:

IMG_2136_zpsd3c2ff74.jpg

Not my pic. But see the last piece that attaches to the case in between the lugs, and covers the case where the pins go in? That's what I'm talking about. This has never happened before, and I really don't want to take my watch to a shop.

Edit-I've tried everything. I got some pliers and tighten those little annoying flaps on the bottoms. I just don't know why all of a sudden they would be so loose.

Can u take a photo of the back of your watch case/end links?

UFO

Banned
Hey fellas. I got a nasty nick right in the center of my g-shock 5610. Been looking online to see how much it would cost to replace the mineral glass, but can't find anything helpful. The watch only cost about $180 so I don't want to spend a lot to get it fixed. Any idea what it might cost? or if there's some DIY fix I can do just to make the nick less noticeable?

Top Bottom