• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, To Arms!

I'm ready, OP

TmnlynW.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The mentality of feeling like you need a gun to defend yourself is so sad. To live in such fear of your fellow citizens. "I must be able to kill someone before they kill me." I'm not saying I don't understand why you might feel that way living in the US, and that is a massive failing of that society. People getting guns because other people have guns, to kill or be killed. A viscous spiral into collective madness.

As a Swede it's utterly foreign, I've never felt anything like that.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
gun go blat, bad guy go splat
Your guns are more lethal though, or did corona lockdown kill them?

I am very happy to live in a country where owning firearms is legally difficult (not difficult enough) and I do not own not want a firearm.

Tesseract

Banned
Your guns are more lethal though, or did corona lockdown kill them?

I am very happy to live in a country where owning firearms is legally difficult (not difficult enough) and I do not own not want a firearm.
lockdown strengthened them

i'm very happy to live in a country where owning them is not difficult

keraj37

Remington Derringer x-ray, showing the operation of the trigger and hammer:

CKt6f0L.jpg

BTW, I really want to buy Derringer - this gun is indestructible and 100% reliable even after you digit up after 100 years in mud, it will still click and fire without any effort.
But I cannot find it - it is sold out.

Droxcy

I own just a standard 9MM for home use and if I ever want to go out to the desert and fire away! Looking to build an AR next year and maybe a sub.

Despite living in the UK, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

It'll be a double barrel shotgun and I'd need training, a license and a secure gun safe, but it's entirely doable.

A lot of people over here assume (and the stereotype abroad is) that it's illegal, but if you're hunting or doing sport shooting, and follow the strict rules, it's actually pretty common, at least in the countryside.

I grew up clay pigeon shooting, and was a pretty good marksma with a .22 back in cadets at school, so I quite want to get back into shooting targets and clays for fun. The added security of having it as a deterent, even if I'd never actually shoot it at someone, would be a bonus.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Damn bro, but why'd you buy a revolver? Something like a glock is more for protection purposes.
Yeah I own a gun and I keep it under my bed in case of a burgulary. I don't got a picture right now cuz it's under my bed and I'm too lazy to get up from my chair right now, but it's CZ gun 9mm.

Revolvers are gorgeous, my favored firearm. Also a .38 bullet fired from a gun is going to ruin someone's day regardless of what type of gun it was fired from :)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
EDC is a p365x, bedside is a Shadow Systems DR920, living room is IWI Zion 15, and an FN15 Guardian hidden somewhere.

With the price of Ammo nowadays, I don’t practice much. Then again, I don’t have time. :(

Romulus

I used to hate on them, but after researching ammo types, I have a taurus judge on my nightstand. The 3 inch barrel version with federal handgun buckshot is nasty. Fires five 9mm diameter buckshot each trigger pull that do 20 inches in ballistics gel. That's essentially a firing squad every trigger pull... in handgun form. The spread is only 6 inches at 25 yards too from the 3 inch barrel. Probably the most impressive ammo I've ever seen for any firearm, because it completely transform the application of the weapon from a meme/gimmick to replacing my other handguns.

I won't carry it in public, but it fills the home role of a compact package that can deliver extreme trauma per one trigger pull. And buckshot loses a ton of energy after an impact and flattens out. And because its not hurling out of an 18 inch barrel means less wall penetration, which I don't want. 9mm shoots through walls much easier, but I deal way more damage on human targets. Win/win.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
The moral of the thread is anyone who buy a revolver as his first gun thinking he's gonna revolver ocelot any evil-doer coming his way is in for a very bad time.

Romulus

The moral of the thread is anyone who buy a revolver as his first gun thinking he's gonna revolver ocelot any evil-doer coming his way is in for a very bad time.

For home defense it's more than adequate. I've watched hundreds of home invasion videos, and intruders scattered like flies at the sound of any gunshot. I've seen 4 intruders with AR15s run off by a pocket revolver.
And they make several 357 magnums with 8 shot capacity. If someone really want to train for carry with that, it's an incredible amount of stopping power. The Boston study showed 357 had a 1 shot stoppage of over 94%, which is insane considering all the cop videos I've seen where a bad guy eats several 9mm to the chest and keeps fighting back.
I carry a glock 19 currently but I've already prepared myself that I'll probably need to shoot someone several times to stop them.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
For home defense it's more than adequate. I've watched hundreds of home invasion videos, and intruders scattered like files at the sound of any gunshot. I've seen 4 intruders with AR15s run off by a pocket revolver.
And they make several 357 magnums with 8 shot capacity. If someone really want to train for carry with that, it's an incredible amount of stopping power. The Boston study showed 357 had a 1 shot stoppage of over 94%, which is insane considering all the cop videos I've seen where a bad guy eats several 9mm to the chest and keeps fighting back.
I carry a glock 19 currently but I've already prepared myself that I'll probably need to shoot someone several times to stop them.
Some of these "stoppage" statistics are misleading. For starters, damn near every police department switched to 9mm, .40, or some other boutique automatic caliber in the 90's, so you are mostly comparing old .357 stats versus newer 9mm ones with larger people on different drugs. The Boston study looked at recent data but it would have been nice if they broke down peripheral/center and individual/multiple hits by caliber as I suspect there is a higher volume of fire in general these days (17 in mag versus 6) so perps are hit multiple times but still bleed out from the center mass hit whether its 9mm or .357. Still, it's pretty common sense that larger the bullet, the more damage it does, as the muzzle velocity of most handgun rounds can't compensate for the lack of mass, unlike rifle calibers.

Romulus

Some of these "stoppage" statistics are misleading. For starters, damn near every police department switched to 9mm, .40, or some other boutique automatic caliber in the 90's, so you are mostly comparing old .357 stats versus newer 9mm ones with larger people on different drugs. The Boston study looked at recent data but it would have been nice if they broke down peripheral/center and individual/multiple hits by caliber as I suspect there is a higher volume of fire in general these days (17 in mag versus 6) so perps are hit multiple times but still bleed out from the center mass hit whether its 9mm or .357. Still, it's pretty common sense that larger the bullet, the more damage it does, as the muzzle velocity of most handgun rounds can't compensate for the lack of mass, unlike rifle calibers.

Yes, that's sort of where I'm going. I'm looking at new police videos with modern hollowpoint 9mm vs the old boston study that used old 357 bullets. The new 357 bullets reach higher velocities. I've seen some 3inch barrel 357 ammo around 125gr that hit over 1400fps, which is absolutely insane. Another thing I notice is there is a colossal difference between civilian and police gunfights. Civilians are much shorter duration and the main difference is both parties are running away from each other. This increases the range of the encounter drastically and within no time targets are obscured by cover. Whereas police are forced to continue to press forward, requiring more capacity and often ending on the scene.

Last edited:
Top Bottom