• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Most Anticipated Games of 2017

jimboton

1. Bard's Tale IV
2. Yooka Laylee
3. Divinity: Original Sin 2
4. Heart Forth, Alicia
5. Hollow Knight
6. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
7. A Hat in Time
8. Ni Oh
9. Wipeout Omega
10. Prey

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
1. Divinity Original Sin 2 ; The original OS is one of my absolute favorite RPG's of all time (and anyone who knows me, knows how significant that is given the ridiculous amount of RPG's I play), so a sequel that's looking to retain everything that made the original incredible and improve everything else is a shoe in.
2. Battletech ; Half-Brained Schemes resurrection of the Battletech franchise as a classic turn based tactical game is right up my alley, all the early footage so far has looked amazing to boot.
3. Torment: Tides of Numenara ; I'm trying very hard to judge this game on it's own merits as trying to fill the shoes of Planescape Torment is nigh impossible. That being said, this looks very very promising as a solid, imaginative, intelligent RPG.
4. Absolver ; This indie Dark Souls em up with a martial arts bent and far more seamless and interesting multiplayer interactions then Dark Souls is looking like something very very special.
5. Dawn of War III ; I've loved every single game Relic has released going all the way back to their debut with homeworld. But of everything they've released, it's the Dawn of War games I like the best, so I'm super pumped for this which looks to combine the best aspects of DOW1 & 2.
6. Battle Brothers ; A tactical RPG game where you manage a company of mercenaries in procedurally generated worlds has been in early access for some time now is set to come out next year. What's there is already genuinely great, so the final polished product should be something special.
7. Tekken 7 ; This will be my first Tekken game, but I've watched quite a bit of it in various tournaments over the past year and it's looking like a lot of fun.
8. Resident Evil 7 ; This looks to be a wonderful return to form for a series that has lost it's way.
9. Underworld Ascendant ; A spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld by many of the key minds behind those games? Yes please.
10. Scalebound ; Honestly, what they've shown hasn't exactly blown my skirt up, but I have immense faith in Hideki Kamiya so I hold out hope.

I would have put Bard's Tale 4 on the list, probably in the #6 spot but I put the odds of that actually releasing in 2017 at about 0%.

Nightwing449

Neo Member
1. Persona 5
2. NieR: Automata
3. Read Dead Redemption 2
4. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
5. Mass Effect: Andromeda
6. Gran Turismo Sport
7. Ace Combat 7
8. Halo Wars 2
9. Horizon Zero Dawn
10. Outlast 2

Thores

hU77vAM.jpg

1. Persona 5 : My Most Anticipated Game for the fourth year in a row, it seems like, at long last, this will be the final year I put this title on the list. At this point I've run out of things to say about it, other than that I remain as excited about Persona 5 as I was in 2014. The amount of positive import impressions I've briefly glanced at is really reassuring, the US voice cast seems solid from what I've heard, and my trust in Atlus USA to deliver on their localization is significant. I've managed to not get spoiled on any aspects of the game thus far besides the first trailer and a couple of playable characters; fingers crossed that luck lasts for another four months. I am so ready for April.

CsbH7kM.png

2. New Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony : It's funny that around this time 2 years ago, Danganronpa was barely a blip on my radar. I gave the first game a chance on an impulse, and now it's one of my favorite franchises of all time. The new cast looks like a lot of fun, and I appreciate the implication that this entry is a soft reboot; certain recurring characters are starting to wear thin for me, and I'm totally down for an addition to the series that feels new and fresh. This is another game I've been trying very hard to do a media blackout on, so I really hope that NIS America gets this out as early in 2017 as possible.

zUXDePB.png

3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild : Hey, we know what it's called now! I feel a bit of anxiety about Breath of the Wild, now that we finally know more about it. The massive scale of the world, the implication of "hundreds" of quests.... I just hope it all feels like substance, instead of padding, or an experience that wears out its welcome far before I reach the end credits. That dread is outmatched, however, by my faith in the development team, and my excitement to finally experience a brand new Zelda that shakes up the formula so much.

zrE0489.jpg

4. Injustice 2 : It's really amazing how good NetherRealm has gotten at making competent competitive fighting games. The first Injustice, and MKX, have hit the scene not only with interesting and creative character movesets, but a lot of the best balance I've seen in fighting games. I'm not really great at the combo-oriented play required to play NRS games at a high level, but I know that there'll be a lot for me to enjoy even on a casual level. I just hope the Gear system isn't as laden with intrusive microtransactions as it has the potential to be.

kYSl6Y3.jpg

5. Sonic Mania : I loved Sonic in the Genesis days. He was my favorite. Sonic 3 & Knuckles still holds up as an undisputed classic. Sonic 4 was a huge disappointment, but now we're finally getting a new old Sonic game, and it's a project that's being led by a guy that really gets how old Sonic games work. I'm also interested in and intrigued by Project Sonic 2017, but how good that's going to be is really anyone's guess. Sonic Mania, at least, seems like a pretty safe bet.

6nI6ymi.jpg

6. Phantom Dust : I still know barely anything about the original Phantom Dust, other than it offers a unique multiplayer experience that has yet to be replicated, and it's considered a cult classic for people that actually had an OG Xbox. I missed that boat, and now Microsoft is actually giving me the opportunity to sail in it. I've been curious about it for over a decade now, so I'm excited to finally dip my toes in.

Ii5L3fp.png

7. Battle Chef Brigade : I got the opporunity to play a demo of Battle Chef Brigade at a video game convention in Chicago. I hadn't heard of it before. I'm so glad that has changed because I can't believe how much my absolute fucking jam this concept is. A cooking competition game, in an anime fantasy setting, where getting ingredients is a beat-em-up game and the actual cooking is a Puyo Puyo-style puzzle game? Are you kidding me? That is FUCKING GENIUS. And there's different playable cooks, all with different special abilities that change the ingredient-gathering part of the gameplay. The demo was already surprisingly polished, and I seriously can't wait to try the full story later this year.

daPlF2L.jpg

8. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite : After so much silence from Disney and Capcom, it's finally happening again, and that feels great. What feels even greater is the apparent return to mechanics from Marvel Super Heroes and the first Marvel vs Capcom, both games I ended up enjoying significantly more than UMvC3. I'm a little tentative right now because the game currently looks pretty.... low budget, to say the least. Fingers crossed that that's just an early-in-development thing.

AThafR8.png

9. Sea of Thieves : Rare hasn't gotten to make a new IP that wasn't a collection of Kinect minigames since the beginning of the last generation. The announcement of a pirate-themed quasi-MMO wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but every time I see new gameplay my interest grows. Guns of Icarus at sea, with an actual budget behind it. Sign me up, matey.

VmXPPVi.jpg

10. Digimon World: Next Order : I had an unexpected amount of fun with Cyber Sleuth. The monster battling aspect was accessible, but still had enough nuance to not get stale, and Digivolving got super addictive. I had to explore each branching Digivolution path to find new favorites. The story was also pretty stupid, but in a really fun way, with a lot of cool worldbuilding I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I did. All this makes me glad that Namco Bandai is giving me another chance to spend my US dollars on a brand new Digimon game. Especially since Cyber Sleuth had a bit too many teenagers with cleavage for my taste, and Next Order's cover art already has 100% less of that.

I'm sure my list would look radically different if we knew the Switch games coming out this year, but I'm still pumped for 2017 either way.

TriGen

1. The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild

2. Persona 5

3. Horizon Zero Dawn

4. Mass Effect Andromeda

5. Yooka-Laylee

6. South Park: The Fractured But Whole

7. Nier: Automata

8. Red Dead Redemption 2

9. Kingdom Hearts 2.8

10. Sea of Thieves

d_escudero

Neo Member
1. TLOZ: BotW, so many years waiting
2. DQ XI: but I don't believe this game will be localizated this year... Until now I like the footage of both versions.
3. DQ VIII : Never played on PS2
4. A Hat In time: I'm nostalgic for collectathon platforms.
5. Yokaa- Laylee: Same as above

And thats it, I expect in two weeks fill all the list with switch announcements.

1. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age : Favourite FF remastered?! I'm in!
2. Destiny 2 : A proper sequel I hope with sensible continuation from the first.
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 : Here's hoping all of the single-player development we didn't get in GTAV went here.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild : As no-brainer a purchase as I can think of.
5. Persona 5 : Guess I should finish up Golden.
6. Prey : Colour me intrigued.
7. South Park: The Fractured But Whole : The world needs this.
8. Mass Effect Andromeda : I hope it's good.

1. Persona 5: It's been my most anticipated the game for years. The same major directors who brought the captivating Persona 4, a game with a coherent style and swagger right through from its battles, music, script, setting and into its magnificent menus. Not much gets me hyped nowadays, but Hashino, Soejima and Meguro do. They take me back to the days of the PS2 - what might be lacked in production value is more than made up for with a singular vision and a scrupulous attention to detail.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Looks like Nintendo are taking the considerable strengths of Skyward Sword - gorgeous art, music and compelling dungeons - and removing the weaknesses - too much handholding, laughably limited overworld. Could be breathtaking.

3. Horizon Zero Dawn: Wasn't overly impressed with the gameplay demo, insofar as the constant voice-overs were a little too knowing and earnest - doing what Naughty Dog do/did with Joel/Ellie/Nate is not easy - but the crux of the game remains appealing. Looks pleasingly intense and rough in combat, with hopefully some depth to its surrounding systems to keep things going. Has the seeds of something special, but not sure it'll get there.

4. FFXII: The Zodiac Age: I'm not as huge on FFXII as some - my thoughts are nearer "flawed but gloriously ambitious" than "masterwork" - but a refined version of it will definitely see me go back for another go around.

5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy: I had the sense that ND were holding back at times in UC4, trying to keep things both too directed and too safe. Maybe they'll swing more freely in this DLC.

Muzy72

Banned
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild : I can't believe this damn game is my most anticipated game for the THIRD time in a row. The E3 2016 reveal was just magnificent, in fact it was so great that Nintendo was able to get away with having it and only it and their booth this year! Cannot wait to get my hands on this bad boy, and dear lord do I hope this is the last time the game appears on this list.

2. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy : It's weird to have a remake collection so high on the list, but god damn am I excited for Crash's return. It's been too long since this franchise has gotten some proper care, and Vicarious Visions seems to have completely nailed the look and feel of the trilogy. Hope this leads to a bright future for the orange marsupial!

3. NieR Automata : Yet another game that was on my list last year! I was already super stoked for this game, but the recently released demo increased my hype about 1000 times. I just know this game is going to be something special.

4. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony : Upupupupupu. After falling in love with the first two games last year, I am very ready for the next one! Danganronpa 3 (the anime) was a pretty terrible conclusion to the Hope's Peak arc, so I'm quite happy we're getting a fresh start with this one.

5. Halo Wars 2 : Halo Wars, literally the one game that made me want an Xbox 360. I used to go to my local GameStop constantly just to play Halo Wars on the demo kiosk. Getting the Definitive Edition of the original game as a bonus for pre-ordering was pretty sweet, should make the wait go by quickly!

6. Horizon: Zero Dawn : Robot dinosaurs? Female protagonist? Beautiful open world? What’s not to love!

7. Yakuza 0 : I’ve always wanted to get into the Yakuza franchise, and this looks like the perfect time to jump in.

8. Sonic Mania : Sonic is finally good again.

9. Persona 5 : Need to finally finish P4 Golden, but man does 5 just look so damn good.

10. Uncharted: Lost Legacy : Uncharted set in my country of origin starring the best character in the franchise? Sign me the fuck up!

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Gran Turismo Sport
4. Sea of Thieves
5. Mass Effect Andromeda
6. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
7. Yooka-Laylee
8. Ray's The Dead
9. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
10. Matterfall

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild : Everything I've seen of it looks fantastic and I'm ready for a new Zelda.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 : Return of the king. Rockstar has never let me down.

3. Nier: Automata : I wasn't completely sold on this until I played the demo. Seems like a return to form for Platinum and the story will be balls to the wall crazy.

4. Tekken 7 : Looks so incredibly hype.

5. Scalebound : Kamiya doesn't make bad games and this seems incredibly ambitious.

6. Divinity: Original Sin 2 : First was amazing and came out of nowhere for me. Ready for that glorious combat.

1. Thimbleweed Park
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Blackwood Crossing
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda
5. Vampyr
6. Tacoma
7. Persona 5
8. Syberia 3
9. >observer_
10. Crackdown 3

Wollan

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Resident Evil 7 : I really don't know much about this game. Will keep it like that.
4. Persona 5 : I really don't know much about this game. Will keep it like that.

I'm betting God of War makes it though (would have been my number one). The whole campaign is playable already. Final Fantasy 7 Remake would push God of War to a second spot.

Havoc2049

1. Sea of Thieves
2. Shenmue III
3. Scalebound
4. Bard's Tale IV
5. Vampyr
6. Halo Wars 2
7. Mass Effect Andromeda
8. Battletech

Alright, that officially wraps up this year's poll. Thanks for voting everyone! Look for the results in about 1-2 weeks.
So...can I close this tab now? I'm assuming this thread was a waste of time and the results aren't getting tallied?

Hey Newman, you awake? Finished your holidays yet?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom