• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF will always respect women/racial minorities/lgbt

jviggy43

I said it rapes my ears.

So you got banned for shitposting? Whats even remotely confusing about that? I find if anything the people complaining about bans here are often just mad that they weren't allowed to say something stupid and try to pass it off as a "dissenting" opinion.

I dont have any context, but yeah mods are always power tripping.

I was banned for saying that nintendo had the right to fire a girl if they found out she was a prositute. Not that she was one, just if they had found out.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Your dissenting opinion is actually just misogyny. Gtfo with the dissenting opinion.

SuoGrey

Yeah, but the problem isnt respecting minorities/lgbt

You have to be blind or deaf to not acknowledge Neogaf has a clear problem when it comes to being an echo chamber, over-empowered mods, and what can only be described as a toxic environment for dissenting opinions. Even ones with good intentions. Homophobic and racist individuals should be banned outright, but neo gaf had an environment where I could have been banned for defending Evilore. (not that I am, just an example).

This is why I have been a junior member for 4 years.

Someone mentioned Don't ask, don't tell and that's exactly what GAF ended being. Humans are social beings, and discussing other important topic witht he community is very important. Now it's all gone.

my thing about dog piles is, if you say something stupid that lots of people want to respond to, how many are allowed before it's too much?

Link

The Autumn Wind
It is clear that the ones requesting bans are the ones we want to stay. It will be interesting to see what comes of this place.
Going by the language a lot of those posters used, I wouldn't be so sure.

I thought those people were going to the gaf-lite boards.

It's funny that GAF is supposed to be a little liberal oasis in a sea of gamergate, AltRight sickness taking over the internet, but all of those garbage posters were just lying in wait.

Then you have the other half committing account suicide as way to earn legit street cred for their friends.

To all those people: nobody knew who you were before, nobody will miss you when you're gone.
Well said, man. Good to have you still around.

What did you say about it. If you repeated the usual stereotypical complaints to derail a thread & reiterated a not so subtle dog whistle about the genre, I could see it.

You deserved it
^
Sorry if this is joke post

Did you say it wasn't music?

The accusations, assumptions and pile on in just matter of seconds...

Congratulations, this is the very reasons this forums went to shits...

No matter what the dude's opinion of rap music, it shouldn't be a bannable fucking offense.

No one should fucking feel slighted enough from a stranger online that doesn't like rap music, to shit on them...let alone get them silenced (banned)

That's the point he's trying to make.

I suppose? It's obviously better than almost every other alternative on the Internet but there is still room for plenty of growth. Like, I've said some pretty dubious shit that I'm sure should have got me perma-banned. I'm still here. Maybe it wasn't entirely offensive to the mod team at the time but I'm sure it was rude to the people who felt a deeper connection to those words. I'm sure there are areas for improvement and you could tell by repeated arguments in social issue threads about women or minorities that progress was slow. Like, Angelus had to repeat the same sarcastic argument over and over in threads with new and additional excuses tacked on 'cause the list, well, just kept growing. Toxicity still exists and the site shouldn't rest just because it's better than Twitter or Reddit when it comes to accountability.

GAF has been overmoderated to an absurd degree.

For example, the following post got me insta-banned for a month.

UE9OKkF.png

I'm not a sexist, I'm not a gamergater, I'm not even a conservative. I was just asking a fucking question. I'm not afraid to say that shit needs to stop. It's a discussion forum for god's sake.

You were trying to deride her position. You didn't even care to counter what she said you just assumed she was ill-equipped to handle herself in a 1 on 1 manner. Your post makes people believe her arguments were bad and you weren't explaining why. It's shit posting.

Dirca

I also miss wrestlegaf. Watching TLC on the WWE network Sunday night was weird not having a group to discuss things with

^

No matter what the dude's opinion of rap music, it shouldn't be a bannable fucking offense.

No one should fucking feel slighted enough from a stranger online that doesn't like rap music, to shit on them...let alone get them silenced (banned)

If you think your username is funny, it really isn't.

Usobuko

Banned
I recognize the people who account suicide.

These are prominent members and some responsible for many great threads on GAF, especially fostering a game community.

This forum will definitely missed them.

Most people respect women and minorities, it isn't this rare trait in a person. This is a disingenuous deflection of legitimate criticism towards a lot of former posters here.

65 million people thought Donald Trump was a fit man for the White House. We are not in era (have we ever been?) where morality and fundamentally good intentions can be automatically assumed of people. President Obama and Hillary Clinton made this calculation and it cost them dearly.

^

He didnt say he didnt like rap music

He said it rapes his ears.

Neece

^

I asked him a question. Aren't people, in this very thread, complaing that "we can't ask questions?" And now me questioning if he said a specific thing is the problem?

And according to him and others, he didn't get banned for his opinion on rap music. He got banned for shit posting and using rape casually.

ckaneo

So you got banned for shitposting? Whats even remotely confusing about that? I find if anything the people complaining about bans here are often just mad that they weren't allowed to say something stupid and try to pass it off as a "dissenting" opinion.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Your dissenting opinion is actually just misogyny. Gtfo with the dissenting opinion.

Apologies, but I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Are you saying I was being misogynistic, if so why?

65 million people thought Donald Trump was a fit man for the White House. We are not in era (have we ever been?) where morality and fundamentally good intentions can be automatically assumed of people. President Obama and Hillary Clinton made this calculation and it cost them dearly.

I think the point is that these concerns are no longer a relevant discussion here. Neogaf is no longer a place to talk about this, please feel free to enjoy other communities.

If you think your username is funny, it really isn't.

Hahaha! I think you're hilarious!

I just asked Evilore to change my name to this just yesterday, how did you know? neat huh?

Over sensitive, sheltered, narrow minded, ignorant people like you are EVERYTHING that is wrong with these forums. And I don;t give the fucking shit what country, or culture are you posting form right now, have some tact, being a 'minority; is no excuse for you to be a dumbass!

Raonak

Banned
I'll do my part and shitting on people who are being racist/sexist/ignorant.

At the very least i'll imply that they lack certain human qualities.

^

You can understand there's a difference between "I don't like rap music and here's why" and "this trash rapes my ears." Right?

Like you can understand there's a fundamental level of discourse that isn't being reached? And hence it's not expressing a thoughtful opinion it's just shitposting?

You can grasp that, right?

see5harp

I strongly disagree with his opinion but I'm not sure I'd ban him for it. There's plenty of hip hop and rap heads here that would easily refute anything he said.

Neece

You can understand there's a difference between "I don't like rap music and here's why" and "this trash rapes my ears." Right?

Like you can understand there's a fundamental level of discourse that isn't being reached? And hence it's not expressing a thoughtful opinion it's just shitposting?

Yeah I just had a conversation last week on gaf about someone that hates rap music. She posted her reasons and we moved on.

Clockwork5

Isn't this great? You guys can just slug it out without fear of moderation.

Jeels

I thought those people were going to the gaf-lite boards.

It's funny that GAF is supposed to be a little liberal oasis in a sea of gamergate, AltRight sickness taking over the internet, but all of those garbage posters were just lying in wait.

Then you have the other half committing account suicide as way to earn legit street cred for their friends.

To all those people: nobody knew who you were before, nobody will miss you when you're gone.

Ya it's like in Zelda when the blood moon appears on BotW. The land is now theirs...

^

No one gives a shit if that poster hate rap or not, it was a worthless post so he got banned period.

No discussion was going to come from that post.

ckaneo

I strongly disagree with his opinion but I'm not sure I'd ban him for it. There's plenty of hip hop and rap heads here that would easily refute anything he said.

I think he was banned for trolling as opposed to just not liking it.

Like I said though, it's hard to tell without full context. But yeah, a 6 month ban is ridiculous.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
These are very true...

I guess everyone has their own perspective when it comes to this site.
Are they true?

There's always missing context when people complain about being banned. That's a constant you can depend on throughout the entire internet.

Trey

I'll do my part and shitting on people who are being racist/sexist/ignorant.

At the very least i'll imply that they lack certain human qualities.

Friend, if you would be so kind as to look at the stickied post, you will clearly see that political discussion is strictly forbidden. The age of holding people accountable for objectionable views is over, let's just get back to talking about games (obviously excluding the political components they may or may not have)!

Blyr

Banned
I've been very outspoken about how I will always believe the victims over the accused in situations like this, (you can check my post history if you don't believe me) and the situation with NeoGAF is no different.

I enjoyed the community, but I refuse to support this website with the things that have come to light.

To the community: You guys have been wonderful and the last few years were some of the best, this was a wonderful forum and place to discuss games without being assaulted with racist/homophobic/transphobic slurs.

To EviLore: Fuck off. I hope karma bites you in the ass.

Ban me, thanks.

^

I dont know what the thread was. But if it was a specific thread about rap, then that poster only came to shitpost and derail the discussion.
How are you supposed to respond to someone who claims something "rapes his ears"?
Thats a comment that not meant to generate any type of discussion.

He didnt say he didnt like rap music

He said it rapes his ears.

No one gives a shit if that poster hate rap or not, it was a worthless post so he got banned period.

No discussion was going to come from that post.

I dont know what the thread was. But if it was a specific thread about rap, then that poster only came to shitpost and derail the discussion.
How are you supposed to respond to someone who claims something "rapes his ears"?
Thats a comment that not meant to generate any type of discussion.

The rape comment was said after my post.

no need to get preachy please, the poster was not genuine about the real reasons why he got banned...

All he had to say is "I got banned for using the word rape out of context and casually"

He didn't get banned for not liking rap music like he initially gave the impression that he did. He was simply being insincere with his argument, still does not change the fact that being bad for not liking a genre of music and people piling on him for not liking it, is an okay thing to do around here... (My original argument, 'hive mind' 'echo chamber' etc.)

You were trying to deride her position. You didn't even care to counter what she said you just assumed she was ill-equipped to handle herself in a 1 on 1 manner. Your post makes people believe her arguments were bad and you weren't explaining why. It's shit posting.

Honestly, I was just looking for an example of her defending her views in public. Literally I was just looking for a single example. I wasn't assuming anything -- not assuming something is why one poses a question. I was asking because I believe individuals who style themselves as public intellectuals should have the courage of their convictions and defend their views in public. Call that deriding her position if you want. So what? It's a discussion board, I should be able to respectfully deride her position.

Lady Gaia

The reason I stuck around NeoGAF was the aggressive moderation. Without it the forum would be just like every other gaming community: actively hostile to women, LGBT individuals, and other minorities. I have no special insight into the accusations, I only know that I found a home here where I’ve been respected and treated with dignity.

I’m not eager to burn that down so quickly, though I completely understand why some who felt that insisting on decency and civil discourse was a form of oppression would be eager to pour fuel on the fire.

Wamb0wneD

The writing is on the wall, you can see in only the few hours the site has been up where this is headed...

You mean the direction where those people are banned? Because the person you are both talking about already did get banned. Stop going all doom over this for crying out loud.

Top Bottom