• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs (2012 edition) - Results Posted

theDeeDubs

Looking back at my list, I had a decent mix of j & w rpgs. I think it's because I grew up mainly a PC gamer who bought consoles solely for japanese games until this gen. This is the first generation that I've been primarily a console gamer.

Durante

I just had a look at last year's version of this thread again (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416224), and I like that list a bit more than the new one. I wonder why Planescape dropped so much. Have many gentlemen of taste and refinement left neogaf this year? It's disconcerting.

Anyway, I went through the list to see which games on it I played and completed.

For the top 20 it's:
completed / played / total
13 / 19 / 20
The one that I haven't played is Dark Souls, but it's on my list.

For the top 50:
26/38/50
Here I'm missing more, but the only ones I really want to try are Tactics Ogre and Grandia.

kswiston

excluding games I played for less than an hour, here are my stats.

- I own 45 of the Top 50 (missing the Mother games, Xenoblade, PSO and Dark Souls)
- I have played 35 of the Top 50
- I have completed 20 of the Top 50

A number of the games that I have played but not finished are pretty close to completion. With Jrpgs, I have a tendancy to the end where you are about to enter the no-return lead-up to the end boss, feel as though I should do the side quests, get bored of the side quests, and then never finish.

Durante

With Jrpgs, I have a tendancy to the end where you are about to enter the no-return lead-up to the end boss, feel as though I should do the side quests, get bored of the side quests, and then never finish.
Ha, do I ever recognize that pattern. It even happens with WRPGs sometimes when they have a clear point of no return, for example I had a 5 month break before I did the final sidequests and last mission in ME2.

Whether the break I often take before finishing the games ever ends is a great indicator of game quality for me. I'd say that on average I only complete about 40% or so of the RPGs I start, but it's almost 70% for the top 50 of this poll.

batbeg

A number of the games that I have played but not finished are pretty close to completion. With Jrpgs, I have a tendancy to the end where you are about to enter the no-return lead-up to the end boss, feel as though I should do the side quests, get bored of the side quests, and then never finish.

Also guilty of this.

I don't generally agree with a number of titles on this list or the missing unrepresented games, but given that I didn't bother voting, eh.

I have a question, how is Final Fantasy VII in 9th place, if it's the best game ever?

Ok, you be trolling us now.

Those results are disgusting. Xenogears number 22? Suikoden 2 not #1 (I wouldn't have actually expected this but too bad) A game like Xenoblade and Skyrim being ahead of a holy grail game like Final Fantasy VII? Lufia II getting no love?

What is up with RPG fans? It's like this is the generation they have forsaken their heritage. Skyrim ahead of a game like Planescape for Western RPG fans? Xenoblade ahead of a game like Xenogears for Japanese RPG fans? Is that a Nintendo fans not having played RPGs for 2 generations kind of thing and PC gamers not having Planescape on Steam thing?

None of this makes sense. If it really were about Nintendo loyalists, Pokemon might be a LOT higher. And shock over Final Fantasy VII getting outranked? You must have missed out on the backlash, even among people who like the game. They just don't feel it's THAT great.

A little bummed out FFV missed the chart by a hair.

BTW, what was the minimum vote count for a game to be listed? I saw no fewer than 4.

Yuterald

Trails in the Sky didn't even make the Top 50? Ugh...really? Such a shame. People should change their priorities a bit. Oh well.

kswiston

Trails in the Sky didn't even make the Top 50? Ugh...really? Such a shame. People should change their priorities a bit. Oh well.

1) On PSP
2) Released this year
3) Still full price on PSN I believe

I have been hearing a ton of good things about the game, but I am holding out for $20 or less at this point. Backlog is full enough as it is.

zoku88

Well, I mean, the plot wasn't THAT great and it takes a while to get going.

The music is excellent, however.

Results were pretty much what I expected. Personally I'm inclined to agree with the idea of separate east/west lists, if only because the voting breakdown indicates that there are a lot of people who exclusively play one side or the other, meaning that split lists are more useful from a recommendation perspective.

kswiston

I don't see the point of splitting the list between WRPGs and JRPGs.

16 wrpgs made the top 50. Of the 70 other games that received 4+ points but missed out on the top 50, only another 16 were WRPGs. It's not like there were a ton of WRPGs that got crowded out by JRPGs. Most people weren't really voting for Wrpgs besides the big titles.

What I might do next year though is allow people to pick more titles as some posters suggested. A lot of people listed 20-30 titles with their HMs included, and it would help for reduce the number of ties.

Looking through the list I own and I've played 66 games out those, although not the same 66. Only 48 was played to completion. It's mostly RPGs on Nintendo systems like Fire Emblem, Baten Kaitos, Pokémon and the various Mario RPGs that I haven't played. Nice work putting everything together kswiston!

What I might do next year though is allow people to pick more titles as some posters suggested. A lot of people listed 20-30 titles with their HMs included, and it would help for reduce the number of ties.

I would definitely be in favor of this. It's just too hard to get down to 10 titles without leaving out a lot of stuff, and I think lists would be a lot more varied with more spots to choose from.

kswiston

Looking through the list I own and I've played 66 games out those, although not the same 66. Only 48 was played to completion. It's mostly RPGs on Nintendo systems like Fire Emblem, Baten Kaitos, Pokémon and the various Mario RPGs that I haven't played. Nice work putting everything together kswiston!

Looking at all 102 games in that top 100 (ties), I currently own 92 of the titles, have played 61 titles, and have finished 39 titles. I REALLY need to clear out my rpg backlog...

Nice list, pretty accurate IMO... I would of ranked Diablo II higher but it's just my personal preference.

Also, since it seems you're listing all platforms, Final Fantasy VII was on PC as well as PS1 and PSN - came not around the same time as the PS1 version. I have the game and jewel case in my drawer right now and it's how I played it originally.

Soma

i forgot to vote but i'm glad to see my favorite RPG (FF IX) made the top 20

also the format for the results is very well done! great job on that, OP.

Neifirst

1) On PSP
2) Released this year
3) Still full price on PSN I believe

I have been hearing a ton of good things about the game, but I am holding out for $20 or less at this point. Backlog is full enough as it is.

I had been holding out for a PSN sale on Trails in the Sky too, but finally broke down when Amazon had the UMD for $12 a couple of weeks ago. I'm 21 hours in now and it gives such a feel-good Lunar vibe that I can hardly stand it! The Y's games eventually got to $14.99 on PSN, so hopefully this one joins them soon so more people will give it a shot.

This thread delivers.

So...looking only at the top 50.

I own 40 of the top 50.
I have played 40 of the top 50.
I have completed 27 of the top 50.

I need to stop buying games and finish some shit. : /

edited for more stats...

So...I own 80% of the top 50 games and completed 54% of the top 50.

Shit goes sideways when I looked at the top 102.

There are games I own that I haven't played and games I no longer own but HAVE played...so...

I own 74 of the top 102 so rounding up, I own 73% of the top 102 games. (It's a bit scary as I have more RPGs...they just didn't make the top 102.)

I have completed 43% of the top 102 games. I seriously need to stop buying more games.

squidyj

I can agree with the first 2 and their positions, everything after that is kind of ehhhhhhhh. Skyrim at 4? It's good but it's not THAT good. I might have considered disbarring 2011 and even 2010 titles from entry.

Not to say skyrim doesn't deserve a position or a lot of these games, just the actual order is all kinds of wonky.

Hmmm I've played 25 of the games, not sure how many I own (would require going through my storage and screw that) but at least a dozen and I've completed every one of them that isn't an MMO

So many shit turn based JRPGs. Embarrassing.

The sooner they die out and Demon's/Dark Souls, Witcher, Deus Ex, etc etc start to rise to the top of this list is the day when good taste has won.

Because I like RPGs but not turn based ones?

Not that the turn based aspect is the only element I don't like. Most of the JRPGs on this list are about annoying anime kids saving the world, with lots of grinding, repetition, bad writing, etc etc. I just kinda lumped all of that in as "turn based" because I didn't want to do a blanket JRPG statement now that the Souls series exists!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Not that the turn based aspect is the only element I don't like. Most of the JRPGs on this list are about annoying anime kids saving the world, with lots of grinding, repetition, bad writing, etc etc. I just kinda lumped all of that in as "turn based" because I didn't want to do a blanket JRPG statement now that the Souls series exists!

Aren't you a big Nintendo fanboy?

probably had something to do with only being able to vote for one game in a series and more voted for deus ex than human revolution.

You could only vote for one game per series?

That's stupid.

Mother 3's average completion time is about 22 hours! It also has one of the best-told stories in a game as far as I'm concerned.

Yes Mother 3 is fantastic. Weak on the gameplay side but incredible everything else.

Vagrant Story :)

Has not aged well at all. Played it for the first time a few years ago and it was fun for two hours or so then got WAAAYYYY to repetitive and redundant.

Alright,

vFaB4.jpg

Done

BOOOOOM!

kswiston, future slayer of demons, breaker of Japanese schoolgirls' hearts, and overall ultimate badass :)

Too clever or not clever enough is a thin line marked by one being in the right.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
BLASPHEMY!

I have many fond memories of turn based RPGs. Especially the Dragon Quest games.

I wish the turn based mechanic was more prevalent in modern RPGs than the button mashers they have turned into.

Agreed, it's such a shame they've fallen out of favor in recent times.

Buttons

Agreed, it's such a shame they've fallen out of favor in recent times.

I enjoyed some of the newer action oriented RPGs such as Xenoblade but sometimes I miss turn-based games a lot. I want a real turn based system like FFX or Romancing Saga Minstrel Song had. Where you really need to plan and think about what you want to use.

I always enjoyed both turn-based as well as fast action based games, but nowadays they all seem to be about action and a lot of the old charm I love has gone missing.

There are a lot of rpg without those clichés that made the cut in this list..
There are plenty of jrpgs this year WITHOUT those clichés too..

Demon & dark souls are just one way to see the Jrpgs , to associate them with "good taste" like you've wrote is silly at best considering the pedigree of some of the titles that are in the TOP 50 of this list..

Turn based is something that exist in both genres (Jrpgs & wrpgs ).. they birthed the genre . to forgot about them is a disgrace to a rpg lover.

the voting and outcome is good as it is. if wrpg fans are fed up with the results, they should start voting properly.

this reminds me of the best VGM list we had recently. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447847

i think jrpg are just more memorable compared against most wrpg. the emotional attachments are higher in jrpg with their character focus and diverse musical directions. wrpg stayed dead number games for a very long time, with less graphical charm and poor induction of lore. i know some games were different and some things have changed since then, but i think that's the main reason why classic wrpg get replaced by the flavor of the month games very quick. there is nothing to go back to when the newer games have better mechanics.

Phreaker

Excellent work kswiston, thank you!

There are plenty on the list I intend to checkout. I only had 1 JRPG on my list (PSO, which is really on PC too), but I had 3 "Eastern-block" RPGs (Sacred 2, Two Worlds II, and Dead Island). The rest were WRPGs. The only other JRPGs I played were Demon's Souls, Skies of Arcadia and a few of the FF ones and I just didn't enjoy them as the ones I listed. I'm not really a fan of turn-based RPGs, child characters, and/or random encounters. :/ Different strokes and all that.

dralla

is there any chance the SNES games hold up in terms of writing and/or story? I'm thinking of getting FFIII off the VC.

and is FF Tactics good for someone who doesn't play SRPG. The only SRPG game I like is Valkyria Chronicles, I''ve tried Disgaea but I was completely overwhelmed, I'd like to try something that's easier to get in to

Top Bottom