• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf's first NeoCosplay Thread. Muahahaha

DtKGO.jpg

Human-decomposed-broccolli-Hulk is DA Best HULK.

XD

Salaadin

lol these cosplay things have really good looking girls probably a good place to pick up a chick who shares things in common with any guys nerdy side.

Its nuts that there are so many. A lot of the girls I saw at NYCC this year had dudes with them though I dont know if they were boyfriends or just protection, lol.

I dont mind the cross dressing much. Some of it is funny (hairy Batgirl, man Wonder Woman) and others put a lot of work into making it work.

Mesoian

Its nuts that there are so many. A lot of the girls I saw at NYCC this year had dudes with them though I dont know if they were boyfriends or just protection, lol.

I dont mind the cross dressing much. Some of it is funny (hairy Batgirl, man Wonder Woman) and others put a lot of work into making it work.

Most are boyfriends. There aren't a lot of single girls cosplaying these days, or if there are, they're VERY young. The best female cosplayers you see are the ones who have functioning lives, jobs, other hobbies, and significant others.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but cosplay events are bad places to try and pick up women.

Salaadin

Most are boyfriends. There aren't a lot of single girls cosplaying these days, or if there are, they're VERY young. The best female cosplayers you see are the ones who have functioning lives, jobs, other hobbies, and significant others.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but cosplay events are bad places to try and pick up women.

Figured as much.

Some of them do themed costumes too. Black Cat/Spiderman and Juliet/Nick were two that I particularly liked.
I also saw a gender swapped Harley Quinn/Joker couple that looked cool.

jaxword

I hate that stupid "guns need a red toy tip JUST IN CASE YOU THOUGHT IT WAS REAL" rule.

I mean, obviously it's because some idiot would eventually start bringing real weapons, but still...the fact it needs to exist at all is very sad.

beat

I hate that stupid "guns need a red toy tip JUST IN CASE YOU THOUGHT IT WAS REAL" rule.

I mean, obviously it's because some idiot would eventually start bringing real weapons, but still...the fact it needs to exist at all is very sad.

Pretty sure that's not a cosplay rule, that's a general American toy law.

Mesoian

I've been to a LOT of anime cons. It's because stupid kids bring real weapons.

Stupid kids with access to real weapons have made cosplaying complex stuff progressively more difficult.

Pretty sure that's not a cosplay rule, that's a general American toy law.

For selling toys, yes. But something you can do to make really nice looking weapons is to, for example, buy toy guns, paint them, weather them and gloss them to make them look like weapons from whatever you're cosplaying from. That generally means removing that red tip as well because the prop can look really crappy with that thing sticking off it.

But...yeah. Dumb kids. Bringing Airsoft weapons was the big thing a few years ago because you could have the actual safety plug in and have it look like the weapon it's supposed to resemble. But then kids would just keep CO2 canisters in their pockets or bags and would pop them in after getting piece bonded and have a loaded weapon in the middle of an EXTREMELY crowded area.

It's hard to even compromise with stuff these days.

Paranerd

Neo Member

There was an anime convention I attended where I overheard a Mike Haggar say that he brought a steel pipe with him, but they wouldn't let him bring it in. That image made me laugh.

Platy

At least they allow a toy gun .... if you look at japanese convention pics (it has in this same thread a few pages back) you will see an awesome snake cosplay ... with a banana as a gun =P

Depends on why he hates it. If he hates it because he dislikes seeing guys in skimpy women's clothing, then he's not really a hypocrite.

This has NOTHING to do with crossplay

That Quisits dude didn't had "skimpy women's clothing" =P

My friend Justin Reich did good work with this. I'm gonna ask him how in world they did that first shot of the camera falling through, simply awesome.

....elevator with glass wall ?

Nickiepoo

Screw the haters, crossdress cosplay is best cosplay.

Particually when they get the genderswap to look 'right' rather than just being for laughs.

Mad shenanigans happen at the hotels after the day ends. :)
I hear there are plenty of underage girls (and boys if you prefer) to plow. Maybe that only applies to anime conventions.
Screw the haters, crossdress cosplay is best cosplay.

Particually when they get the genderswap to look 'right' rather than just being for laughs.
Define "right." If your answer involves desexualizing (if the cosplayer is a man) or sexualizing (if the cosplayer is a woman) a character's outfit, I am going to give you a nasty look.

Mesoian

I hear there are plenty of underage girls (and boys if you prefer) to plow. Maybe that only applies to anime conventions.

Define "right." If your answer involves desexualizing (if the cosplayer is a man) or sexualizing (if the cosplayer is a woman) a character's outfit, I am going to give you a nasty look.

:-T

Hero

Sorry but what kind of shit advice is this? Do you have any statistical information or have studies that you can cite to back your claim that "not a lot of single girls cosplay these days." because frankly this is rubbish. I also would like to know how having a significant other increases one's ability to cosplay, could you go into more detail how that works?

If you're even somewhat nerdy, conventions are a great way to meet people of either gender depending on your preference. Sure, there are going to be people that aren't single but that is a fact of life you can't escape and applies to any other place you'd think of meeting someone single including but not limited to class, work, bars, etc. Fact of the matter is you don't know until you talk to someone and ask.

Bottom line here is there are so many people that go to conventions that there are going to be plenty of single, eligible men and women for you to meet and talk to that it's absolutely ridiculous to try and discourage people from trying because "all the good ones are taken." Most conventions actually have single meet-ups and a lot of them incorporate events like dating games and such, one GAFer even posted his own impressions in the OT NYCC 2012 thread. There are tons of lonely nerds out there and if you're a lonely nerd you're probably not going to get a better opportunity to meet someone with similar interests than at a con.

Mesoian

Sorry but what kind of shit advice is this? Do you have any statistical information or have studies that you can cite to back your claim that "not a lot of single girls cosplay these days." because frankly this is rubbish. I also would like to know how having a significant other increases one's ability to cosplay, could you go into more detail how that works?

If you're even somewhat nerdy, conventions are a great way to meet people of either gender depending on your preference. Sure, there are going to be people that aren't single but that is a fact of life you can't escape and applies to any other place you'd think of meeting someone single including but not limited to class, work, bars, etc. Fact of the matter is you don't know until you talk to someone and ask.

Bottom line here is there are so many people that go to conventions that there are going to be plenty of single, eligible men and women for you to meet and talk to that it's absolutely ridiculous to try and discourage people from trying because "all the good ones are taken." Most conventions actually have single meet-ups and a lot of them incorporate events like dating games and such, one GAFer even posted his own impressions in the OT NYCC 2012 thread. There are tons of lonely nerds out there and if you're a lonely nerd you're probably not going to get a better opportunity to meet someone with similar interests than at a con.

When I first read this response, I got really upset wrote up a giant thing. I read that thing and realized it wasn't helping anyone. So let me put this as succinctly as I can.

Go to conventions or gatherings or get-togethers because you think it will be fun. If you do that, you will meet like minded people who's company you can enjoy. I've met some of my best friends at conventions and have a lot of long lasting relationships that mean a lot to me that stem from my involvement in these events.

Do not go to these things to troll for pussy. There are a lot of men and women who took a lot of time and spent a lot of money to be there dressed as they are, they do not want someone constantly going after their asses. It's rude and shitty.

Mesoian just wants all the anime waifus and pillows for himself.

I do want the waifus, I want all of them.

Cons are tremendous fun. I hate it when my female friends come up to me pissed off because some asshat thought she was looking for a piece because she was a revealing outfit. It happens too often and it needs to stop.

Nickiepoo

Naw, just that the costume is recognisable while also being creatively adapted to the swap.
It's not hard to put on a Link outfit whatever gender you are, but things like a female Squall or male catwoman that are instantly identifiable without overt props or being played for laughs can be a real acomplishment. It requires both vision and skill with a view to thinking outside of the box and that's something I hugely respect.

I've had a strong appreciation for costume making ever since my job required me to learn cloth and clothing simulation so this isn't about putting skimpy costumes on hot chicks, it's about making something work visually within a strict set of guidelines while also somehow being functional on a body it was never designed for.

I love it because it's one of the hardest cosplay challange to pull off well.

Hero

When I first read this response, I got really upset wrote up a giant thing. I read that thing and realized it wasn't helping anyone. So let me put this as succinctly as I can.

Go to conventions or gatherings or get-togethers because you think it will be fun. If you do that, you will meet like minded people who's company you can enjoy. I've met some of my best friends at conventions and have a lot of long lasting relationships that mean a lot to me that stem from my involvement in these events.

Do not go to these things to troll for pussy. There are a lot of men and women who took a lot of time and spent a lot of money to be there dressed as they are, they do not want someone constantly going after their asses. It's rude and shitty.

I do want the waifus, I want all of them.

Cons are tremendous fun. I hate it when my female friends come up to me pissed off because some asshat thought she was looking for a piece because she was a revealing outfit. It happens too often and it needs to stop.

Okay, I can agree with this more than I did your other post. If you go to a convention with the mindset of getting laid it's definitely the wrong way to go about things, though there are sadly people who do this anyway. If you go to meet people and have fun over common interests you will naturally form circles and groups just like anybody else and not everybody will always be taken. I disagreed with what you said mainly because I know a lot of people who have met their significant other through conventions. In fact I would say of my con-going friends the majority of them either met a significant other at them or bonded with their s/o at a convention. It sounded like you were discouraging people from being interested in conventions just because they were somewhat interested in meeting potential mates which I think isn't correct, while at the same time only going to conventions to get laid is being a scumbag, a good way of spending money and time without enjoying what it's about and a really easy way of getting diseases if you're just trolling around for pussy/cock/whatever.

And definitely agree with asshats bringing people down. Kind of creepy when there are people who are taking pictures of girls just for wank material instead of appreciating the costume. And just because a girl is dressed in a revealing manner doesn't mean she's looking for sex nor inappropriate attention, which is something people are beginning to address which is a good thing. The more we discourage scumbags the better everyone else will be so it's in our best interest to stomp that crap out. Hell even here on GAF there are some posters who were getting borderline creepy and perverted with some of the cosplayers, I guess the Killer Orchid one was the most recent example.

Overall it seems we agree on a lot of things, I apologize if I upset you for what you originally said but it seemed you just misspoke about what you meant. Cheers. :)

Zing

Banned
Does this apply to the women too? Because if it doesn't you're a hypocrite.
The photos we see here have very few women who actually cross-dress. A woman dressing as "Thor", but still wearing a bikini top is not cross-dressing.

But, yes, for me it does apply to women. I see no attraction in a female completely dressed in traditional male clothing. Male clothing covers all the good bits.

I'm not sure why the "white knights" always feel the need to come out in situations like this. Many good threads are ruined by people championing their alternative-lifestyle agenda.

Hell even here on GAF there are some posters who were getting borderline creepy and perverted with some of the cosplayers, I guess the Killer Orchid one was the most recent example.
I don't think anyone should feel creepy about enjoying a video where a sexy woman is knowingly being recorded on video while intentionally bouncing her tits and ass.

Do not go to these things to troll for pussy.
I don't see anywhere in his post where he stated this. He said, "There are tons of lonely nerds out there and if you're a lonely nerd you're probably not going to get a better opportunity to meet someone with similar interests than at a con."

Jackano

From what I've seen so far, many are for protection but want to be boyfriends, but can only hope and access to that by becoming cosplayers themselves.

Platy

The photos we see here have very few women who actually cross-dress. A woman dressing as "Thor", but still wearing a bikini top is not cross-dressing.

But, yes, for me it does apply to women. I see no attraction in a female completely dressed in traditional male clothing. Male clothing covers all the good bits.

4RJei.jpg

QZ5jb.jpg

Also, Things like these
8093555986_aee13259d8_c.jpg

and
Are TOTALY crossplay, you like it or not =P

Also, if you think those people are doing to make you feel hot, you are doing it WRONG

And just for you:
gUFx8.jpg

Olorin

Are TOTALY crossplay, you like it or not =P
Eh, there is obviously no strict definition of crossplay, but those are female cosplayers dressing up as female versions of characters, so I wouldn't consider it crossplay. A good crossplay is one where it's hard to tell the gender of the cosplayer, and usually involves chestbinding and different makeup.

Ledsen

DqVNV.jpg

This is the best picture in the universe.

Let's count all the ways in which it is awesome:

1. It's Spiderman

2. There are two of them

3. The one on the right looks more Peter Parker than Toby McGuire

4. The one on the left is Black Spiderman...

5. ...with an awesome suit

6. They're doing a broshake

7. The two guys in the background look like they're having an intense, erotic staring contest and are just about to embrace in tears

Salaadin

Let's count all the ways in which it is awesome:

1. It's Spiderman

2. There are two of them

3. The one on the right looks more Peter Parker than Toby McGuire

4. The one on the left is Black Spiderman...

5. ...with an awesome suit

6. They're doing a broshake

7. The two guys in the background look like they're having an intense, erotic staring contest and are just about to embrace in tears

Pretty much :lol

But yeah, thats a great shot. I love how cheery white Spidey looks.

That was pretty well edited as well. D*Con was amazing this year. If there are other ATL Gaffers we should have a meetup next con.

Definitely! Last con I went to was AWA as a pink ninjetti ranger from the MMPR movie. Glad to have come across this thread. Looks like there's a ton of amazing cosplays!

Top Bottom