• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf's Game of the Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are probably the ten games i had the most fun with. If i had to choose one i would go with Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Ghost Trick
GTA V
The World Ends With You
Excitebots Trick Racing
Mario Strikers Charged
Batman Arkham City

I
00oAFi1.gif

game is what that?

Surgeon Simulator 2013.

Demon's or Dark souls. I think playing Demon Souls has it for me but since I played it first maybe I'm biased. Going through the prison level with the mind flayer guys that 1 shot me is probably my most fun and scary moment in gaming.
That level is probably the reason I enjoy Demon's Souls above Dark Souls. The atmosphere was intense! And the first time I heard the singing through the walls... banderas.gif

RK9039

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

...And also MGS4.

I don't care if you didn't like Johnny's diarrhea, that's your problem not mine. It was one of the most innovative features in this gaming generation -- the ability to stun players in MGO with Johnny's farts.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
My TOP 10

10. Bayonetta
9. Ninja Gaiden 2
8. FTL: Faster Than Light
7. Halo 3: ODST
6. Demon's Souls
5. Portal 2
4. Bioshock
3. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
1. Fallout: New Vegas

One of the things I enjoyed about the game's characters is that Demon's Souls NPCs are not guaranteed to help you along your journey. Many have their own agendas, and some may lie, steal, or kill to get what they want. You have to tread carefully. You can't just talk to everybody and expect to receive free loot like in other RPGs. It reminds me of older RPGs like the first two Fallout games.

God damn shotel wielders, Yurt and Lautrec are just dicks. If there's a creepy sounding dude with a shotel in Dark Souls 2 I'm going to punt him off a cliff as soon as I can.

LTWheels

This generation has been so long, it's really hard to pick.

Off the top of my head here is 10 of my favourite.

Red Dead Redemption
Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Portal 2
Bayonetta
Sonic All Stars Transformed
Street Fighter IV
COD4
Witcher 2

RK9039

God damn shotel wielders, Yurt and Lautrec are just dicks. If there's a creepy sounding dude with a shotel in Dark Souls 2 I'm going to punt him off a cliff as soon as I can.

And the bald guy as well, Patches the Hyena. If there's a bald guy in DkS2 he'll probably kick you off a ledge.

Dezzy

My choice is Xenoblade. The Wii was by far my least played/liked console, yet it had my favorite game of the generation on it.

Servbot24

Banned
If I think about it last gen was pretty shitty. Especially considering how long it was.*

*that said I haven't played many GOTG contenders thanks to my backlog.

Fantastic generation imo. More games than I could ever hope to play, including a few all time classics.

Moosehole

Batman Arkham Asylum
Skyrim
Grand Theft Auto V
Uncharted 2
Super Mario Galaxy
The Last of Us
Fallout 3
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption

I would be ok with any of these.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Warhawk
The Last of Us
Deus Ex- Human Revolution
Uncharted 2
Ratchet and Clank- A Crack in Time
Dishonored
Mark of the Ninja
Sly Cooper- Thieves in Time
Motorstorm- Pacific Rift

Dead

well not really...yet
Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed II
Alan Wake
The Last of Us
Bayonetta
Metal Gear Solid 4
Xenoblade
Bioshock

After reflection, Red Dead might be number one. Just amazing in all aspects. Incredible single player, incredible multiplayer. The most i've been immersed in any single game this gen.

2San

Demon's Souls

It came before Dark Souls and it's the one that started it all ^^
More people played Dark Souls though and you can play Dark souls at 1080p+@60fps. The artists did amazing work on the textures which you can't see because of the sub 720p resolution. :/ We need to be united on this.

The Boat

I won't order them, but if I have to keep it to 10, my favorite home console games this gen were:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Xenoblade
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls

Ten isn't enough though, there tons of other fantastic games like:

Bayonetta
Portal
Journey
Excite Truck

And loads of others. Great generation and I still have plenty of games in my backlog.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
The original Bioshock is by far the most gratifying experience i had in this generation. It not only has THE best intro in the history of gaming, it had by far one of the deepest and most thought provoking stories in recent gaming history and in the age of dumb and racist military shooters, dudebro third person shooters and cinematic gaming, that's saying a lot. Andrew Ryan is still one of the deepest and most well developed villains in gaming history and very few can actually top him in terms of character, charisma, motivation and intelligence.He is not a guy who simply wants to take over the world simply because he is evil, he has a lot of ideological reasons for creating rapture. It also presented one of the best plot twists in gaming history and the kind only a video game can pull off! It wouldn't have nearly the same impact if it were a movie or a book. All the other character like Atlas and Fink are very memorable with a lot of quotable lines.

The city if Rapture is one of the most realized cities in recent gaming history. A lot of the rooms have small intricate details that reveals a lot of secrets about the city and, from it's prime to it's downfall. and the city is alive where you could see big daddies roaming around in areas you can't reach, splicers attacking each other, that doctor who will stand behind you and do nothing when you reach the clinic and search for items and how despite not being an open world game,everything is connected to each other and feels like a real city underwater instead of a video game level

Gameplay wise is a bit on the clunky side but it's still quite fantastic, having great variety of weapons, variety of different ammunition for each weapon, all the different amounts of plasmids which adds a lot of variety to the gameplay. You can deal damage, crowd control and even lay traps which adds a lot of strategy to it. Especially when you fight the natural enemy which is the big daddy, whom he won't fight you until you attack him to either take Adam (which you'll need to buy upgrades) from his little sister and killer her in the process or saving her to get a reward from a woman who tries to save them later on. This all involves into a sort of moral choice system which determines that ending of the game.

Bioshock is one of the gems of this generation and one of my all time favorite games. I just wished it stopped there and didn't have sequels.

Runner up games :

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.
Demon's Souls.
Red Dead Redemption.
Portal.
Bayonetta.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm sure I already answered this, but whatever, here is my list:

10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
9. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
8. Mega Man 9
7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
6. Demon's Souls
5. VVVVVV
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3. Street Fighter 4
2. Super Mario Galaxy
1. Europa Universalis 4

waypoetic

Banned
Here's my top 5 list:

1. Grand Theft Auto 5
2. The Last Of Us
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves
5. Warhawk

Huh, I do love third person shooters huh.

Leatherface

SMG2
Uncharted 2
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age Origins
Guild Wars 2
Mass Effect 3
Tomb Raider
Batman: Arkham Asylum
God Of War 3
The Last of Us

ghibli99

This feels like deja vu, but...

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2
PS3: Uncharted 2
360: Pac-Man CE DX
DS: Dragon Quest IX
PSP: DJ Max Portable 1
PC: Portal 2
Mobile: Super Hexagon

If I had to pick just one, it'd be SMG2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom