• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Most Anticipated Games of 2017

silva1991

Damn, Scalebound not even making it on the top 20... literally nobody here is hyped for the game. Kamiya is going to be so mad on twitter.

It barley made it to my top 10 and it's only because I have faith in Kamiya.

They showed nothing but boring boss battle footage last year that seemed like part 2 of the 2015 video and that's it.

It's hard even for Xbox fans to get excited for it.

Rob2K19

If we remove all the games without a release window, KH 2.8 gets into the top 15...and then if we shuffle the games in terms of brand power, KH 2.8 gets into the top 5 or 10(whatever you fancy)...and that makes me happy because seeing Scalebound higher than KH 2.8(before I get to the other games) is some bizarro world type thing.

Continuing...go Japanese games! Awesome top 10.

Lusankya

Pokémon > Final Fantasy > Dark Souls > All the Mario RPG > Monster Hunter > probably a lot of other franchises bigger than Persona.

Okay I forgot Pokemon, lol.
I disagree on Dark Souls as I don't think it's the same genre.
P4G had way better sales than the last Mario RPG, so I also disagree there.
Last Monster Hunter also had worse sales than P4G in the West.

If I'm not mistaken, Cosmic Star Heroine (#39) is the 2nd highest Vita game on the list (Danganronpa 3 being the 1st at #15) since the Vita version of Trails 3rd isn't getting localized.

Fire Emblem has sold more then Persona 4G recently as well I believe in the west.

LordKano

Dark Souls is still a JRPG. Also, Persona 4 golden shipped 700k copies as of december 2013, with at least 350k of them being japanese ones. I doubt the game sold more than 500k in the west, or 700k if we really stretch it. Monster Hunter 4U definitely had bigger sales, as it broke the million, and Generations was likely not too far behind (it was the best selling game of its months, NPD said), so still more than P4G.
We never had any sales figure for Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, but Dream Team Bros definitely sold way more than a million unit, thus more than P4G.

I think you're way overestimating the appeal of Persona. It's far from being a major JRPG franchise in the west.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Looking at the top ten I'd say two (RDR2 and NNK2) might not make 2017. Compared to the 4 that missed 2016 I'd say that's a big improvement. :p

2017 is weird to me because it still feels like there's alot we don't know about it. I'm mainly thinking about the holiday releases, smaller games, and especially Nintendo's lineup. That made voting hard for me.

But hey, I'm glad to see Zelda on top, and Gravity Rush and Nier not far behind! Far and away the most anticipated for me. Glad Sonic Mania cracked top 20 too.

Damn, Scalebound not even making it on the top 20... literally nobody here is hyped for the game. Kamiya is going to be so mad on twitter.

Scalebound is a tough cookie. Kamiya is by far one of my favourite game developers but we haven't seen a ton of it, and the parts they have shown aren't things that really seemed to demo well. I really want the game to be great and I hope it is, but it's hard to say at this point in time.

Lusankya

Fire Emblem has sold more then Persona 4G recently as well I believe in the west.

That's a strategy game, though.

Dark Souls is still a JRPG. Also, Persona 4 golden shipped 700k copies as of december 2013, with at least 350k of them being japanese ones. I doubt the game sold more than 500k in the west, or 700k if we really stretch it. Monster Hunter 4U definitely had bigger sales, as it broke the million, and Generations was likely not too far behind (it was the best selling game of its months, NPD said), so still more than P4G.
We never had any sales figure for Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, but Dream Team Bros definitely sold way more than a million unit, thus more than P4G.

I think you're way overestimating the appeal of Persona. It's far from being a major JRPG franchise in the west.

Dark Souls is still a totally different game, not comparable to Persona at all.
I used ******** for the sales and there P4G was higher, but I don't know how reliable they are.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Comparing my list to GAF

1. Mass Effect Andromeda - #5
2. Resident Evil 7 - #8
3. Nioh - #7
4. NieR Automata - #6
5. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - #18
6. Horizon Zero Dawn - #3
7. Star Wars Battlefront 2 - N/A
8. Prey - #13
9. Final Fantasy XII HD - #17
10. Call of Cthulhu - #95

Battlefront 2 didn't count? i guess because it hasn't been officially announced yet. GAF sleeping on CoC tho, shame.
Excuse-Me-Do-You-Have-A-Min-To-Talk-About-Our-Dark-Lord-And-Savior-Cthulhu-Image.jpg

Neoxon

I'm kinda sad that MvCI didn't make the Top 10, but oh well. At least Zelda & Persona 5 were the Top 2.

LordKano

That's a strategy game, though.

Dark Souls is still a totally different game, not comparable to Persona at all.
I used ******** for the sales and there P4G was higher, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Well, as you can see they're banned here, so that should give you an idea about how reliable they are.

UberTag

OléGunner;227662993 said:
Nice to see Gravity Rush 2 in the top 10.
You did good Gaf!
If only our enthusiasm would translate into sales. I have serious doubts.
The late January release window for so many Japanese enthusiast-driven games is just brutal.

1,2 and 5th rank were my picks so good to know gaf shows similar anticipation. There's enough announced games for 2017 to be an exceptional year if we have no delays and games deliver on expectations.

CCIE

Banned
Wow, Xbox am cry - surprised at the lack of titles in top 20 ...

PS4 just going to have an utterly amazing year... and I won't be able to get any of those until almost a year from now. Black Friday and beyond

My top 10 were as follows

Zelda
Persona 5
Horizon
NNK2
DQ11 (won't make it)
FFXII-remake
Gravity Rush 2
Mass Effect
South Park
Tales of Bersaria

I like my RPG's.....

Fuck P5 as so close to 1 ;_____;

Platform Breakdown

PS4 - 19 (8 exclusives)
XB1 - 8 (0 exclusive)
PC - 8 (0 exclusive)
SWN - 1 (1 exclusive)
WiiU - 1 (1 exclusive)
PS3 - 1 (0 exclusive)
Vita - 1 (0 exclusive)

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. Mass Effect Andromeda
3. Assassin's Creed Egypt
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. South Park: Fractured But Whole
6. Destiny 2
7. Resident Evil 7
8. Outlast 2
9. Prey
10. Ghost Recon Wildlands

Absolutely incredible year. Wow.

Matsukaze

So, to cross-reference my own votes:
1. Persona 5 - Placed #2
2. Resident Evil 7 - Placed #8
3. Danganronpa V3 - Placed #15
4. Nioh - Placed #7
5. Nier Automata - Placed #6
6. Horizon: Zero Dawn - Placed #3
7. Gravity Rush 2 - Placed #9
8. MvC Infinite - Placed #18
9. Yakuza 0 - Placed #16
10. Mass Effect Andromeda - Placed #5

Not too shabby. And with P5 only losing to Zelda by 7, I can't be mad at that lol.

Fuck P5 as so close to 1 ;_____;

Platform Breakdown

PS4 - 19 (8 exclusives)
XB1 - 8 (0 exclusive)
PC - 8 (0 exclusive)
SWN - 1 (1 exclusive)
WiiU - 1 (1 exclusive)
PS3 - 1 (0 exclusive)
Vita - 1 (0 exclusive)

PS4 putting in work, good grief.

Granted alot of those are niche titles that xbox isnt losing any sleep over.

KraytarJ

My vote:
1. Persona 5 (2)
2. Zelda (1)
3. Danganronpa V3 (15)
4. Nier Automata (6)
5. Uncharted The Lost Legacy (14)
6. Red Dead Redemption 2 (4)
7. Horizon (3)
8. Prey (13)
9. Tacoma (49)
10. Yakuza 0 (16)

Pretty mainstream, as my most anticipated usually are. Though if I were to make this list again today I'd probably put Gravity Rush 2 in there somewhere since I played the remaster after I made my list.

So my list was:

1. Persona 5 (#2)
2. Nioh (#7)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (#1)
4. Red Dead Redemption 2 (#4)
5. Gravity Rush 2 (#9)
6. Gran Turismo Sport (#28)
7. Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite (#18)
8. Mass Effect: Andromeda (#5)
9. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (#10)
10. Horizon: Zero Dawn (#3)

That makes 8 of my 10 in the GAF Top 10, and 9 of 10 in the Top 20. Guess I have pretty GAF-centric tastes actually. I'd actually probably vault Nier in here somewhere in place of MvC or GTS right now after the demo, so that'd actually only make it even more similar.

If only our enthusiasm would translate into sales. I have serious doubts.
The late January release window for so many Japanese enthusiast-driven games is just brutal.

Yeah it's disheartening.
But if expectations are chill like TLG then I'm not too worried.

PS4 putting in work, good grief.

Granted alot of those are niche titles that xbox isnt losing any sleep over.

Those titles do little to affect XB1 yeah but they lose out imo on the diversity front.

Top Bottom