• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

xevis

Banned
DS GAF - Recommend me a great RPG that isn't Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem. I'm looking for some classic Turn-Based Goodness.

Also - what's so cool about 999? It looks interesting, but I want to make sure it has great gameplay as well as a great story.

999 is garbage. It gets mad props for this "amazing" story and like "zomg teh end twist" but I really didn't get any of that. It's a digital Choose Your Own Adventure book, albeit with a horror setting (think Saw). The escape-the-room puzzles are kind of cool but the main part of the game is the story -- which is bad. Teen fiction bad. If you've ever read any literature and you know what good writing looks like, you will likely want to avoid this. Even if you happen to like the story, you will need to play the game multiple times to get all the story paths and you cannot skip any text you've seen before. You must play through the game at least twice.

It's just... ugh. It's bad. I wish I could unplay it.

wanders

got home today to find the outer top lid replacement that I ordered (£2.99) for my DSi XL had arrived.

This is the top lid that was previously on it - it's hard to see due to the gloss, but it's scratched to hell. absolutely wrecked, which is why the console was only £30 despite the inside and underside being immaculate, including screens:

ib1g7bW5Y4ZcOU.JPG

after ten minutes with a screwdriver (easy as hell, remove the four rubber covers around the screen, unscrew and then slide the plate off), this is what I ended up with:

ibzggmD8oblWtC.JPG

and here's a photo of the inside:

damn good

and this technique will work with the N3DS XL too - gonna be changing the theme of mine as soon as spares become available on ebay.

Where did you find the outer lid?

I can only find full shell replacements and they go for way more

Thanks in advance Rich

Rich!

Where did you find the outer lid?

I can only find full shell replacements and they go for way more

Thanks in advance Rich

Ebay uk, 2.99 from seller total console repair

Arrived within two days, not a scratch on the thing. Very good.

leroidys

Is Mario and Luigi Partners in time any good? I really enjoyed Bowsers Inside Story and wonder if its worth buying.

The world and characters are a huge step down from SSS. The battle system is the best in series though, IMO, and the enemies are more interesting and better designed than the latter entries.

Rhythm Heaven worth it?

What about Wario: Master of Disguise?

YES!!!!!!

NO!!!!!! (Actually Wario isn't as bad as it's reputation, but there's definitely at least 100 DS games worth playing before it.)

Mzo

Has anyone here played Lux Pain? I hadn't even heard of it before.

There are so many friggin' DS games.

mollipen

Has anyone here played Lux Pain? I hadn't even heard of it before.

Yup! It's not got the best translation in the world, but I enjoyed it. Of course, that was back when we were barely getting visual novels here in the States, so my opinion of it might always be different now.

leroidys

Just got a notice that Contra 4 shipped from amazon.

Let's see if it lives up to the hype.

I think with Contra 4, the thing is that it's for people who really, really loved Contra 1-3. It doesn't really offer anything for players who don't count those games as classics.

Chopper

I think with Contra 4, the thing is that it's for people who really, really loved Contra 1-3. It doesn't really offer anything for players who don't count those games as classics.
I completely disagree. It was my first Contra game, and I absolutely destroyed it. I played it multiplayer with my equally naive buddies regularly, and it stands up as one of my favourite DS games to date. An absolute classic.

leroidys

I completely disagree. It was my first Contra game, and I absolutely destroyed it. I played it multiplayer with my equally naive buddies regularly, and it stands up as one of my favourite DS games to date. An absolute classic.

I didn't say that nobody who hasn't played the games before will like them. Have you gone back and played Contra 3? I assume that you'd love that one as well.

daydream

Banned
Ordered a used (but obviously complete) copy of Rocket Slime. Hope it's in good condition. I still remember the countless times I saw it for 15 bucks in a local games store. Just ridiculous how pricy it is now.

alf717

Ordered a used (but obviously complete) copy of Rocket Slime. Hope it's in good condition. I still remember the countless times I saw it for 15 bucks in a local games store. Just ridiculous how pricy it is now.

I picked up a DSi XL last summer and Rocket Slime was the game I decided to play on it. I really enjoyed the game a lot. Just has a lot of charm to it and can be really fun to play. Hope you have a blast playing it.

When did DS games get eco cases? My copy of Mega Man Zero Collection use this type of case. I take it all copies were like this? Any day one Zero Collection buyer can you chime in and LMK if you case is the eco one?

leroidys

I picked up a DSi XL last summer and Rocket Slime was the game I decided to play on it. I really enjoyed the game a lot. Just has a lot of charm to it and can be really fun to play. Hope you have a blast playing it.

When did DS games get eco cases? My copy of Mega Man Zero Collection use this type of case. I take it all copies were like this? Any day one Zero Collection buyer can you chime in and LMK if you case is the eco one?

I got it day 1 and don't remember it being an eco case. There was a reprint AFAIK. I'll check next time I go to my parents house.

Regiruler

Is it (now defunctional) online or local? If it's single cart play I'll be ecstatic.

It's going to be late as I accidentally had it shipped home <_<

daydream

Banned

Thanks, it arrived today and it's in very good condition, thankfully.

Other new additions to my collection: Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Dragon Ball Origins, Irozuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip (this one will be interesting to figure out, hopefully there'll be a fan translation some day)

Bar81

This is just an amazing system. I had overlooked it for years and finally "discovered" it over Christmas. I also love the fact that you can still find all the games new. I'm now up to 60 games and finally done (I think). Can't wait to go through the games. I thought I wasn't going to buy any more systems after passing on the current console gen but the DS and the 3DS proved me wrong.

Seik

Banned
The DS, while it had a rough start with me, ended up having a great library, love the thing.

Here my collection. :)

1Rm52nL.jpg

Still need Spirit Track and Kirby Mass Attack, after this I'm not sure what other game I could buy...maybe Pokemon B/W/HG/SS.

Xhorder

I recently picked up 'Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past', which is an improved re-release of a previous Jake Hunter game on the DS. It's a visual novel with a bunch of episodes/stores about a detective called Jake Hunter. Seems this re-release has a lot of bonus content and improved localization. Which makes this version the one to get!

I never heard about this game series (in Japan it started on the Famicom) until some guy I follow on Twitter posted it. I was intrigued and tried to find the game on Ebay. With only two available at that time it seemed a genuine hidden gem (or just bad timing). I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I will at some point.

TheMoon

The DS, while it had a rough start with me, ended up having a great library, love the thing.

1Rm52nL.jpg

Still need Spirit Track and Kirby Mass Attack, after this I'm not sure what other game I could buy...maybe Pokemon B/W/HG/SS.

Those colored spines look so nice. Can't get over how disappointing it is that NOE only ever does the ultra simple white with plain text for 99% of the games.

daydream

Banned
Those colored spines look so nice. Can't get over how disappointing it is that NOE only ever does the ultra simple white with plain text for 99% of the games.

Agree completely. The NA boxes also take up less space since they're significantly thinner.

Impotaku

Thanks, it arrived today and it's in very good condition, thankfully.

Other new additions to my collection: Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Dragon Ball Origins, Irozuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip (this one will be interesting to figure out, hopefully there'll be a fan translation some day)

Tingles balloon trip is hillarious, expect many hours of fun point & click gaming with that one, a true gem.

I recently picked up 'Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past', which is an improved re-release of a previous Jake Hunter game on the DS. It's a visual novel with a bunch of episodes/stores about a detective called Jake Hunter. Seems this re-release has a lot of bonus content and improved localization. Which makes this version the one to get!

I never heard about this game series (in Japan it started on the Famicom) until some guy I follow on Twitter posted it. I was intrigued and tried to find the game on Ebay. With only two available at that time it seemed a genuine hidden gem (or just bad timing). I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but I will at some point.
Sounds interesting. Please do be sure to post some impressions on here when you've played it.

1Rm52nL.jpg

Dem US DS boxes look amazing. Wish the UK ones looked as nice, plain white is kinda white.

daydream

Banned
Actually, looking at that picture again, Square-Enix really didn't even pretend to bother, did they, lol.

At least the games were great.

Top Bottom