• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best NES -> FC adapter? In a moment of weakness I bought an AV Famicom on eBay last week, and I want to be able to play my small collection of US games. I ordered a copy of of Boku Dracula-Kun, not sure what to get next. The Japanese version of Ducktales 2 seems pretty cheap, so that's a contender. Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti looks cool too.

Need a bit of help.

I bought Marble Madness recently off eBay and I can't get it to work. The screen keeps flashing yellow. I cleaned the contacts but it's still flashing yellow. It's not the 72-pin connector because it's pretty much brand new and other games work.

Any advice?

If you use the JUSTIN BAILEY code, you can get the bikini finish. AFAIK it's the only way to do it (and the only way to play as Zero Suit Samus).
The continued misinformation on this password is staggering.

Beating the game in under three hours allows you to replay as Samus without the space suit.

Beating the game in under one hour gives you the bikini ending.

No password is needed for either.

You mean this:

turtles-3-the-manhattan-project-nes-box-artwork.jpg

Konami was the wizard of NES music. I think this is their very best NES soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjj5DATea3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tt7oY-kgLk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqtGqIuP8ZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rXBhDzEfGk

I was never a huge fan of the game (I don't like beat-em-ups) but I sometimes play it for the music alone.

On another note, I think the first Turtles game is underrated and way too vilified. It's such an awesome game.

Hooray, indeed. I'm in heaven.

Edit:
What's the best NES -> FC adapter? In a moment of weakness I bought an AV Famicom on eBay last week, and I want to be able to play my small collection of US games. I ordered a copy of of Boku Dracula-Kun, not sure what to get next. The Japanese version of Ducktales 2 seems pretty cheap, so that's a contender. Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti looks cool too.
Supposedly, this is the best and easiest one to get: http://r.ebay.com/cK0cAC

But if $40 is too expensive for you, there's this: http://r.ebay.com/jxHCEq

The second one isn't perfect. It requires some rewiring if you want a few games (notably US Castlevania III, Rad Racer II, a few others) to work. And if you're interested in getting the extra audio with the PowerPak, there's a mod for that, too. Here's the link to the mods for all that: Linky.

Mark me down as another dude who got BK2 today. Will upload some pics including my haul from the past two weeks... didnt even know GAF had an NES thread.

Need a bit of help.

I bought Marble Madness recently off eBay and I can't get it to work. The screen keeps flashing yellow. I cleaned the contacts but it's still flashing yellow. It's not the 72-pin connector because it's pretty much brand new and other games work.

Any advice?

Forget about this. Got it working. My NES is extremely picky.

Playthrough footage please.
I'll get some uploaded to YouTube tonight, hopefully. I die a lot, but it's so good.

EDIT: Aaaaaand, it's up: Battle Kid 2 Gameplay

The video starts a little bit into the game and plays through the first real boss. I was pretty practiced up on the first section, but then it all goes to hell. No johns, but I was playing while trying to hold a conversation with someone at the same time. I end up dying 105 times in a little over 30 minutes.

RetroUSB get!
Miss Mow Mow experienced NES for the first time and wanted to collect all of Battle Kids bullets.
Craigslist $15, not bad.
Scooped this off of a fine fellow at NA, completing my MacVenture set.
Local retro store haul, only spent about $30, also got a new SNES AC adapter which I've needed for years now.
Some repros I've made. Got a Willem programmer and a ton of eproms, however I don't have any way of making labels yet... Sweet Home, Joy Mech Fight (awesome, awesome game), Earthbound, Moai Kun, Time Diver and Zelda Outlands.

If anyone on GAF is interested in some repros, send me a pm and I'll give you a good deal. I don't normally sell repros, but GAF has been good to me so I'll return the favor if anyone is looking for a repro. Send me a PM and we can discuss the finer details.

Just scooped a working toaster, all the wires, 2 controllers, zapper, and 11 common carts for $40... Sometimes Craigslist is just too awesome.

RetroUSB get!
I would like some impressions on Nomolos, I was eying that for my next purchase.

If anyone on GAF is interested in some repros, send me a pm and I'll give you a good deal. I don't normally sell repros, but GAF has been good to me so I'll return the favor if anyone is looking for a repro. Send me a PM and we can discuss the finer details.
Ooh, incoming PM then.

Is the Namco Ms. Pac Man more scarce than the Tengen one?
Yeah, it is.

Also, it's a pretty basic arcade port where the Tengen version went all out with dozens of new level and multiplayer modes.

Actually I haven't gotten to Nomolos yet, just throwing out support to Gradual Games because their WIP Owlia game looks dope. I haven't even seen any gameplay of Nomolos yet lol. I just couldn't resist throwing it in there when I was getting BK2, which by the way is phenomenal so far.

Just finished up a copy of Extra Mario Bros... this shit is way too intense for me lol.

Teknoman

So I just got Pat the Nes punk vol 1 & 2 dvd with game. He signed the discs and ended up packing To the Earth in with it.

Was kinda hoping i'd get some sort of shoot em up, run n gun, or action platformer, but hey free game.

bh7812

Banned
Krelian: just wanted to say those pics of yours are great quality! Had no trouble telling which games were which! You have a lot of the more common bigger games it seems. Nothing wrong with tat. All the collection pics have been great to see.

If I can get to my family's lake house again anytime soon ill snap off some pics of my NES collection, since that's where 95 percent of it is right now. I have a few loose carts lying here at home ill take with and include those in the pics. I'm just guessing but I'd say I have 4 dozen games easily. Probably more but that's a rough guess.

-KRS-

Krelian: just wanted to say those pics of yours are great quality! Had no trouble telling which games were which! You have a lot of the more common bigger games it seems. Nothing wrong with tat. All the collection pics have been great to see.

If I can get to my family's lake house again anytime soon ill snap off some pics of my NES collection, since that's where 95 percent of it is right now. I have a few loose carts lying here at home ill take with and include those in the pics. I'm just guessing but I'd say I have 4 dozen games easily. Probably more but that's a rough guess.

If there's one thing I've learned over the internet, it's that if you have games at your parents' you should go get them right NOW before they sell them/throw them all away because they thought you didn't need them anymore lol.

More Craigslist goodness today...

$30 haul talked down from $40. Immediately had a great feeling that Gyromite contained a famicom convertor but had to get home to confirm.

Success! Considering the convertors go from $20-25 it alone practically paid for the entire lot. Some shit in there for sure, but a few goodies I didn't already own.

bh7812

Banned
If there's one thing I've learned over the internet, it's that if you have games at your parents' you should go get them right NOW before they sell them/throw them all away because they thought you didn't need them anymore lol.

Lol true Synt4x, I've read so many horror stories online of parents throwing away or selling whole game collections, rare games included. Ill make that trip sooner rather than later I think. Last I know all the games were still there but who knows. Good point though, I'd be pretty upset if they threw it away or sold it.

gryz

Banned
reposting my pic from the pick up post

picked up a Twin Famicom in box as well as some games (and other stuff obviously) in Japan last week. was up til 3am beating rockman 4 in 1 sitting earlier this week and now I have a cold haha.

also grabbed a original famicom with another copy of takeshi no chosenjo for a friend. famicoms are dirt cheap over there. (the twin fami notsomuch)

sorry for pic quality, the famicom games here are rockman 5 (box), rockman 4, Dracula/Castlevania FDS, Mario 2/Lost Levels FDS, Doraemon, Final Fantasy 2, Takeshi No Chosenjo, and Dragon Buster.

gryz

Banned
Neat Duo RX

i had to choose between that and an AES. I think I made the right choice.

best part is most of the loose famicom games were in a junk bin for 100-200 yen each. they'd probably be behind a glass case at my retro game store here. forgot to mention I also got SMB1 for 300 yen for my friend with the famicom and later saw it here for 30 dollars.

Teknoman

Came across a Jaleco game i've never heard of today: Robowarrior. Apparently its actually made by Hudson and called Bomber King in Japan.

250px-Robo_Warrior_NES_box.jpg

bomber%20king.jpg

Its actually not bad. It plays like a faster paced bomberman mixed with a top down shooter. Japanese box art looks tons better.

Havent had the chance to really sit down with it, but from what i've seen and heard so far, it seems like a hidden gem? Especially since i've never heard it mentioned in any lists,reviews,etc.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
was waiting for either a boxed copy or one with a manual but buckled and bought loose cart while i can price seems to be going up on mega man 5
megaman5_zps8d25d5b3.jpg

-KRS-

Robowarrior/Bomber King

Yeah it's a pretty good game. Well I haven't played it a lot yet, but it's one of the games I'm looking to buy as well. It's definitely a well made game. It's featured in Chrontendo episode 21, the second game in that episode. The one thing he complained about IIRC was the health system. You have batteries for health and they're constantly depleting which can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

A friend and I had an impromptu NES night since there wasn't enough time to dive into (and finish) Splosion Man co-op.

Stuff we ran through:

Battle Kid 2 (making me realize I need some powered speakers on the NES).
Jaws (Westone!)
Blade Buster (him: 460k, me: 1,068k).
Godzilla (why is Godzilla 2 $60 now?!).
Rescue Rangers (I ended up wishes cat diabetes upon Fat Cat).
Spiritual Warfare (honestly pretty ambitious for what it is, but the music is vomit).

All fueled by a six pack of Dallas Blonde from Deep Ellum Brewing Co. :)

I actually consider tmnt3 the best tmnt game in the entire franchise. I played it a bunch as a kid. Was the first game I became a pro at. At one point I was able to beat the game on standard setting with a single life. Krang was always the hardest part of the game due to his slight unpredictability

As for why I think the game is the best in the franchise, I think it had the most unique enemies in a beat em up, the most diverse stages( and it had a lot of stages). The music was fantastic, the bosses usually entered in style, and the stage-design of stages weren't just a straight line (it was still linear as all beat em ups are).

Yeah it's a pretty good game. Well I haven't played it a lot yet, but it's one of the games I'm looking to buy as well. It's definitely a well made game. It's featured in Chrontendo episode 21, the second game in that episode. The one thing he complained about IIRC was the health system. You have batteries for health and they're constantly depleting which can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

I love that game to bits, but for some reason I swap my bomb and shot buttons and kill myself instantly. Did you know the stage music has lyrics?

I passed on a $40 Bonk about two years ago because the label wasn't perfect.

I do have two copies of Power Blade 2 though.
You should sell one of your Power Blades right now. Look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Blade...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Bonk has seen such an increase in such a short time (reminiscent of Hagane when it started to take off). I mean, I snatched my mint (cart only) copy on eBay for $75-$80 back in the summer of 2011. That was the going rate at the time. Now? Hovering just over/under $300... I know it's rare and all, but it's not even a very good game.

huh that's pretty funny. is it in the manual like with sunsoft's 53 stations of the tokaido?

Actually from what I remember it was a code you could do and it'd show them in Japanese on the title screen.. of course I could just be remembering it on the FC version only, but it IS on there.. they even did a vocal version on one of the recent Hudson remix soundtracks.

womp

After two years of searching....Found my NES box up in my mother's attic. Everything in it I have owned since the 80's first hand.

I will take some pics later after I unload it. Found some other little bonuses too. My SNES and Genesis stuff is over at my dad's but for whatever reason, but my long lost Link to the Past cart was mixed in with some GB games I had been looking for as well. Since my younger brother and sister were using them at the time I can only assume this is why they weren't in their proper places. I am thrilled that I found my Link's Awakening as well.

13+-+1

13+-+1

Teknoman

So much nostalgia in that second picture.

and its really cheap robowarrior that is

Yeah its bothersome, but I figured out the menu system a little while after dying several times. Also that you have to find an exit ala Bomberman, or the level loops.

By the way, any differences between the NES Kirby Adventure and the one on the Kirby collection? I already have the Kirby Wii disc (which is just cool because its everything in one spot and the challenge rooms + timelines), but not sure if there were any changes made.

Top Bottom