• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

uguu~

https://twitter.com/Pureneemomo/status/753701933785882624/photo/1

CnWvXwZUsAA-aYn.jpg
CnWvqL0VIAA_psC.jpg

Teknoman

Someone change the thread title please.

EDIT: I'm fine with Adventure Island. I've been meaning to beat it for awhile now (always get to stage 3 and then die).

I tried to get some of the first ones that went up for sale but where I was at the time had a barely there internet connection, and with his site crashing it didn't help. That said though as soon as pre-orders went up yesterday I pre-ordered a kit.

Mega

Banned
I guess really Really long stages has always been a compile thing.

Zanac? Yeah.

I'm not as good as I used to be, I was like 9 and could finish with dozens of lives stocked up! Game Over at stage 9. At one point I grabbed a warp and it sent me BACK 1 or 2 stages... weirdly cruel.

I'm playing on a GPD XD out of convenience (daily work commute). Pretty good input lag, not as great as a CRT, but it's very playable. I use the emulator's simple scanline filter. The 5" screen makes it so that using a more sophisticated CRT shader is not entirely necessary.

D.Lo

Finished another set that has taken years after finally getting a decently priced copy of Rockman 1. Still $100 but that's unfortunately a bargain for it these days.

The set:

Heavy Barrel featured on the recent video from the Cinemassacre-channel/AVGN, get the game while you can before the prizes explode, pretty sure there aint that many copies out there of this one.
I'd never heard of it but checked it out and it's great!

Congrats D.Lo. Looks great. Gotta love that box art.

RE: Heavy Barrel. The game shouldn't be all that rare but so few copies are up on eBay. You've gotta wonder what's going on with re-sellers when stuff like this happens. My tin foil hat fits snugly today.... Game looks really solid though. One of my lesser collecting goals is to get all the Data East arcade ports (just carts). Most are good or at least interesting, and I like the uniform cart label artwork.

It takes place literally across the street from my apartment, yes. I am going.

I asked in previous page somewhere. Didn't notice any replies yet.

Yep, I did see your reply a few pages back. That is pretty cool you live right across the street *lol* I'm still not expecting too much out of the convention this year even though it is going to be double the size. There's going to be more vendors but it seems like a lot of them aren't going to be selling more games, they are going to be selling game-related items.

Timu

Heavy Barrel featured on the recent video from the Cinemassacre-channel/AVGN, get the game while you can before the prizes explode, pretty sure there aint that many copies out there of this one.
It's going up...you can't get it for under 20 bucks anymore even though I saw it under that not too long ago.

b3b0p

Yep, I did see your reply a few pages back. That is pretty cool you live right across the street *lol* I'm still not expecting too much out of the convention this year even though it is going to be double the size. There's going to be more vendors but it seems like a lot of them aren't going to be selling more games, they are going to be selling game-related items.

Yes, I live across the street in the high-rise apartment building. My view overlooks the venue actually.

Well, not to plug myself, but I am trying to get rid of most of my collection. It's a pain in the ass. I'm unpacking, taking pictures right now. Then I have to get a list together and any notes. Not much old retro stuff. Mostly GBA, Gamecube, Wii, and some Playstation 1/2/3. About 200 lbs of guides (mostly Nintendo Power branded). So, if anyone wants this stuff and in Austin I can hook you up with smoking hot deal because I sure as hell am getting tired of moving with it and I'd rather get something then nothing.

Was at a local flea market with a nice game selection today and realized I'd never asked this guy about manuals. He busts out a large tub of them. Bought manuals for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Ninja Gaiden, Adventure Island, Super C and Renegade - all in nice condition for $20. PO and NG go for about $15 each so, not bad.

I have NO desire to have CIB versions of all my games but I would love to have the manuals for each at some point. Some are damn expensive, though.

OnPoint

Played a bunch of Zanac today. You can see the Compile formula all over it, from the way you get numbered powerups, the speed at which the game scrolls, even the bullet patterns feel similar, and it has the same sort of extra life jingles. Made playing feel super familiar, despite my never having played it before.

However, the game's missing something that makes it fun, though I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what it is. There's no real give to make the player feel like they're having a good time. It's just constant action, and at times, overwhelmingly so. I thought someone in here said, or maybe I read it on Wikipedia, that it has some kind of dynamic difficulty system? I have a feeling that's what's throwing me off. I dunno, something about it feels off regardless.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just got Rockman 4, but I'm bummed at how pricey a loose copy of 6 can be. It's down to 1 and 6 for me now.

Timu

Played a bunch of Zanac today. You can see the Compile formula all over it, from the way you get numbered powerups, the speed at which the game scrolls, even the bullet patterns feel similar, and it has the same sort of extra life jingles. Made playing feel super familiar, despite my never having played it before.

However, the game's missing something that makes it fun, though I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what it is. There's no real give to make the player feel like they're having a good time. It's just constant action, and at times, overwhelmingly so. I thought someone in here said, or maybe I read it on Wikipedia, that it has some kind of dynamic difficulty system? I have a feeling that's what's throwing me off. I dunno, something about it feels off regardless.
I've been playing it as well, and hmm, never thought about that.

Yep, and i got mine for 10 only a week ago.
Oh man, can't believe it happened already!!!

Teknoman

I think its just the lack of diverse environments / the fact that all the bosses are some sort of multi-tiered cyber base.

Mega

Banned
Zanac does have dynamic difficulty. I think it works by upping the difficulty if you fire your main gun a lot or if you let the scouts fly away. Those are the ships that come straight down on the left or right side of the screen then fly away a couple of seconds later. Sometimes there will be nothing at all coming at you, just your ship rolling by in tranquility. Or on another playthrough you're getting hammered from all sides on the exact same part of that very stage. This actually fits in with the story of a single ship being sent to destroy The System, which would otherwise counter with an unstoppable defense if a large force were sent after it.

I change my mind over which power-up is my favorite, but my overall likes are 3 and 7. A fully powered 3 (spinning barrier) is a big help in defending you from all the crap on-screen in the later stages and it's better than 2, the actual shield power-up. 7 has the best traditional offensive power, essentially a big beam wave at max power, but it can get you killed from side attacking enemies if you're not careful. A fully powered 0 (default) is very versatile with its all direction attack and ability to destroy all incoming projectiles. Some power ups are similar but one tends to be more practical.
3 > 2
1 > 5

The bosses aren't very exciting but I still love the game after all these years. There's strategy to the fights depending on which turrets you decide to take out first. The few final ones shoot a powerful nonstop barrage that can overwhelm your ship's firepower, leading to your death or the timer running out, at which point the stage moves on with the boss undefeated.

A few things to note. There are face tiles that release a pulsating energy ball that wipes the screen when touched. On a static screen (mini boss), shooting these tiles a lot will destroy it and give a 1-up. Sometimes these tiles release a warp energy ball, which sends you forward one stage... but it can send you backwards Some destroyed scouts release a blue penguin thing that tries to leave the top of the screen.. it turns red when shot and moves down and gives an extra life when touched. There's a rare face tile (appears like 3 times through the game) that when shot at repeatedly maxes out both your guns. Anyone should look up a FAQ because this game has its share of secrets and oddities on how the difficulty works.

And with that said, I've beaten the game again, after some 20 plus years since my last complete playthrough. Playing on a CRT with absolutely zero input lag was a major factor. I was catching too many silly deaths and game overs playing on a handheld emulator with the small amount of lag throwing me off.

dik0Tekh.jpg

3Wwjnwuh.jpg

BTails

For those of you with Famicom AVs, what do you use for a power supply? I should be getting my RGB modded system back in a few weeks, and should find a nice PSU for it.

Currently, my plan is to test it using my Model 1 Genesis power brick, which I believe should work. Anyone have any other suggestions? Would be interested in ordering something pretty soon.

For those of you with Famicom AVs, what do you use for a power supply? I should be getting my RGB modded system back in a few weeks, and should find a nice PSU for it.

Currently, my plan is to test it using my Model 1 Genesis power brick, which I believe should work. Anyone have any other suggestions? Would be interested in ordering something pretty soon.
May not be the most widely applicable option but I opened it, tore out the inefficient 7805, and rewired it to run on 5v direct. Then I use a (high quality) USB power supply with a USB to barrel-jack wire. Future proof and now my Fami doesn't generate any heat!

Played Zanac last night. Was surprised how fast the screen was moving and how much shit was flying around, just on stage 1 haha. I'll put more into it tonight. Gotta get that title changed for the thread. I didn't know what game you guys were playing.

Still waiting on the system to arrive but I am planning on using my RetroDC with it.

And with that said, I've beaten the game again, after some 20 plus years since my last complete playthrough. Playing on a CRT with absolutely zero input lag was a major factor. I was catching too many silly deaths and game overs playing on a handheld emulator with the small amount of lag throwing me off.

3Wwjnwuh.jpg

I love so much about this post, including the passing on of information discovered by a great player, like the school yard days. But mostly I love the affirmation of the magic and superiority of CRT play, and the lovely scan lines in this pic!

Thanks, Mega.

BTails

Replacing the AC adapter on my NES stopped the buzzing when connected displaying RGB. Crisis averted.

Nice. I just ordered some new PSUs for my Genesis (3-in-1 including Sega CD and 32x), as well as AV Famicom. Don't have the Famicom yet, but I'm hoping the new one for Sega will get rid of the last little remains of buzzing there.

Nice. I just ordered some new PSUs for my Genesis (3-in-1 including Sega CD and 32x), as well as AV Famicom. Don't have the Famicom yet, but I'm hoping the new one for Sega will get rid of the last little remains of buzzing there.

Did you get the Trio from Retro Game Cave? That's the one I have for my Genesis, 32X, Sega CD combo, and it works so damn well.

BTails

Did you get the Trio from Retro Game Cave? That's the one I have for my Genesis, 32X, Sega CD combo, and it works so damn well.

Actually, I bought the one from these guys based out of France: http://en.retrogamesupply.com

Looks kinda like a laptop cable, so you have to provide your own wall plug, but who doesn't have a million of those? This version has a few recommendations in the Genesis/Sega CD thread as well.

I would've bought the Sega Trio from Retro Game Cave, but it's always sold out!

Anth0ny

Pretty amazing that two years ago Nintendo released and sold new Gamecube controllers, and now this holiday will be selling new NES controllers. For cheap!

Only catch is if we want to use them for original hardware we'd have to track down a classic controller -> NES adapter, which probably exists or will soon exist.

just gotta re-release the SNES and N64 now. nintendo pls.

Mega

Banned
I love so much about this post, including the passing on of information discovered by a great player, like the school yard days. But mostly I love the affirmation of the magic and superiority of CRT play, and the lovely scan lines in this pic!

Thanks, Mega.

Thanks for the nice words. I'm not that good myself tbh. I still cannot beat 1943. Last attempt I gave up when I looked up that it was two dozen stages long... I was only on like 12 or 13 and my hand was killing me. I also don't get very far in Gradius and Parodius. I have beaten some of the PC Engine shooters but always have this unshakeable feeling it was one of the "easier" ones or I got lucky.

Pretty amazing that two years ago Nintendo released and sold new Gamecube controllers, and now this holiday will be selling new NES controllers. For cheap!

Only catch is if we want to use them for original hardware we'd have to track down a classic controller -> NES adapter, which probably exists or will soon exist.

just gotta re-release the SNES and N64 now. nintendo pls.

You could also just rewire them internally.

Actually, I bought the one from these guys based out of France: http://en.retrogamesupply.com

Looks kinda like a laptop cable, so you have to provide your own wall plug, but who doesn't have a million of those? This version has a few recommendations in the Genesis/Sega CD thread as well.

I've heard good things about those ones too, haven't used them myself though. Yeah like most of this fan homebrew stuff you need to be a hawk on social media for when pre-orders or other things go up.

I was looking into them recently for some power cable needs as well and planed to ask in one of the retro threads about it. Are there even any other people making power cables for older systems?

Top Bottom