• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Oare

Thanks, Oare.

I definitely have the grainy version. And I am using an unmodified AV Famicom. I haven't given the drive a shot in a while. Maybe I'll fire it up again to re-test it and do more research.

So is there any way I can try to fix this as a noob at these things? Or is there any rock-solid seller that we know has done the repairs the correct way? You always see listings for drives that have new belts, but it's my understanding that the disk head is also an issue. I've checked out the videos on this on YT ... looks kind of daunting.

I guess I can just do $35 on the FDS Stick and see what happens. Cheap enough to give it a shot.

I did my fair share back in the day, with decent success. I also have the necessary tools to rewrite disks that may have been rendered improperly readable.
But here's the catch: I'm probably a bit rusty. And I live in Japan. And I'm abroad (in Europe) until the end of the month.
The good news is, I just happen to have repaired a unit a few days ago, and it's working flawlessly.
(Edit: forgot to add that I am not a seller. I'd be glad to help because I've done a decent bunch of units - but only if it's convenient and hassle-free for all parties.)

If you want to give it a shot yourself, here's a link to a fairly detailed guide I wrote a while back (when I had way too much free time on my hands).
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10767.msg150064#msg150064

Don't forget to put some new grease on moving parts, and don't hesitate to shoot questions if you have any. Owning a Famicom without a working FDS leaves such a sad hole in its library!

My group's big import order from Japan showed up much earlier than was suggested; figured it would arrive in September around the same time as my retroDC which I need to power the consoles.

hEQYz8d.jpg

Oh well, guess I have a bunch of time to clean everything up and replace the drive belt in the FDS.

Peltz

My group's big import order from Japan showed up much earlier than was suggested; figured it would arrive in September around the same time as my retroDC which I need to power the consoles.

hEQYz8d.jpg

Oh well, guess I have a bunch of time to clean everything up and replace the drive belt in the FDS.
What the heck is inside the FDS?

D.Lo

The disk insert mechanism is at 'rest' with a disk in it.

So it's a way of keeping it un-primed without a disk I guess.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If I were to pick up a AV Famicom is the included AC Adapter safe to us in the US or do I need to get a replacement?

When I bought my HVC-001 Famicom modded for AV out it included a third party AC adapter that I assume is good to go for the US, but most of the listings I see for the AV Famicom includes the original adapter.

klov

Neo Member

hEQYz8d.jpg

Oh that's nice looking. What does the drive use, 3.5" floppies or something?

Proprietary media, actually.

Not the most flexible media in terms of storage, either; part of what killed the FDS off was how the ROM size for standard cartridges actually wound up being larger than what the disks offered, negating one of the initial perks of using said disks (larger storage space).

If I were to pick up a AV Famicom is the included AC Adapter safe to us in the US or do I need to get a replacement?

When I bought my HVC-001 Famicom modded for AV out it included a third party AC adapter that I assume is good to go for the US, but most of the listings I see for the AV Famicom includes the original adapter.

You end up with a little extra heat on the adapter itself but otherwise it will be fine.

OnPoint

Finally sunk some time into Adventure Island yesterday. Got to the first boss before I had to go.

I kind of like that the game makes you replay it over and over to continue. It's not cheap hard so far, it's just a learning experience. The controls work well enough and the mechanics are solid enough. We'll see once I push past level 2.

Didn't someone mention that there's a way to continue?

Yes. Stand just to the right of the last pit on the first level and jump up. An egg appears and you get a Hudson bee from it. After that, you can hold any d-pad direction when you press start at the game over or title screen to continue.

StAidan

AVS preorders are live at retrousb.com, I got mine ordered! Credit cards get charged immediately, not on shipping, just FYI.

OnPoint

I'd love an AVS as a reliable way to play my music from my Powerpak cart, but as it only has HDMI out, I don't know how i'd pipe that out on stage.

I may still get one at some point to play stuff. But not yet.

Mzo

Wow, good luck with Adventure Island. I thought it would take an afternoon of effort or so but it was more like almost the whole night. There was one part in a cave where you had to throw your axe before jumping off the platform as it was falling because the next bat that spawns is too low to hit once you're in the air. It was tough.

BTails

Hey guys, is my Silent Service original? Plastic feels kinda odd compared to my other games. It works perfectly fine on original NES, PAL.

Do you have a gamebit screwdriver? Easiest way to tell a fake, especially if it's already in your possession, is by checking the PCB.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I was watching an eBay auction of the Famicom Ghostbusters 2 cartridge. Unfortunately it ended this morning before I woke up with no bids. I'm bummed I didn't get it simply by being the only bidder and now it's relisted so I have to wait another 4 days to bid on it again.

Chittagong

Gold Member
13962579_1070944852943491_7467945438631523360_n.jpg

Hey guys, is my Silent Service original? Plastic feels kinda odd compared to my other games. It works perfectly fine on original NES, PAL.

Looks legit to me, and I can't see a reason why anyone would counterfeit Silent Service. It's not a rare or desired game. More likely that it's just a weird batch.

Do you have a gamebit screwdriver? Easiest way to tell a fake, especially if it's already in your possession, is by checking the PCB.

Unfortunately, I don't have one. But I looked up a few site, and it seems like my copy is legit. I was afraid because it looks weird on the back, but for comparison I have games released in Germany, and this one is the only one fully in English (Game plus box).

Looks legit to me, and I can't see a reason why anyone would counterfeit Silent Service. It's not a rare or desired game. More likely that it's just a weird batch.

I don't know, world is weird. Plus, I want to be sure because I am trying to exchange it for something else. I have no patience for this game.

If there is someone on the planet dumb enough to counterfeit Silent Service, I would like to meet them ... so I could slap them. There is next to no chance it's a fake.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Oh, hey, nice timing on the Adventure Island theme for this month. I'm currently editing a Wonder Boy/Adventure Island episode of Retronauts, so I've been soaking in this game.

TLZ

Banned
I was watching an eBay auction of the Famicom Ghostbusters 2 cartridge. Unfortunately it ended this morning before I woke up with no bids. I'm bummed I didn't get it simply by being the only bidder and now it's relisted so I have to wait another 4 days to bid on it again.

And now you told the world about it to bid :p

MoxManiac

Why the first adventure island and not the vastly superior sequel?

Adventure Island 2 on the nes is the Mega Man 2 of the franchise.

Oh, hey, nice timing on the Adventure Island theme for this month. I'm currently editing a Wonder Boy/Adventure Island episode of Retronauts, so I've been soaking in this game.

Very cool. I'll be looking forward to this.

Why the first adventure island and not the vastly superior sequel?

Adventure Island 2 on the nes is the Mega Man 2 of the franchise.

With as much fun as I'm having playing the first game, I have moved the sequels up on my "to buy" list. Don't think I've ever played any of them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Cool, really looking forward to this!

With as much fun as I'm having playing the first game, I have moved the sequels up on my "to buy" list. Don't think I've ever played any of them.

I beat the second a few years ago, and in my opinion its much, much better than the first, however, the level design still leaves quite a bit to be desired imo. Havent played the third or fourth game much, but own them both for Famicom.

dcx4610

Anyone have any interest in a Famicom Everdrive N8 before I put it on eBay? They go for $124 direct from Krikkz.

I'd go $100 shipped. 100% genuine, like-new condition and only used a few times.

everdrive-n8-famicom.jpg

Edit: Sold. Thank you.

Teknoman

Synergy!

Is it going to feature the entire series? Or just the Adventure Island style game side of things?

Top Bottom