• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

hey guys i found this neat book today. i remember having this as a kid:

sOPLbZih.jpg

8sylScmh.jpg

and i brought a game!

ixk48c6h.jpg

Question for the CIB collectors here.

How do you feel about using something like tape on the inside of ripped boxes for cosmetic repair? I'd never put tape on the outside because it looks tacky as hell. But what about a small strip or two on, say, the underside of a flap that's been ripped? Not terribly worried about value here, just wondering if others think it's poor form...?

b3b0p

How do you feel about using something like tape on the inside of ripped boxes for cosmetic repair? I'd never put tape on the outside because it looks tacky as hell. But what about a small strip or two on, say, the underside of a flap that's been ripped? Not terribly worried about value here, just wondering if others think it's poor form...?

I always preferred OG, untouched and unmodified. That rip is part of the history of it's existence. Would you tape up the Mona Lisa if it had a tear? Maybe that's a bad example. I would prefer a crushed, beat up, torn box than something where someone tried to do some sort of surgery to resurrect it like Frankenstein or something.

OnPoint

Was in Syracuse for a Magic tournament and didn't make day two (but still played OK), so we went to the mall because they had some weird edutainment-style indoor amusement park which was so-so but sometimes cool.

Anyway, my point, is that I was able to hit up a used game store in that mall and found Heavy Barrel for like 12.99. Score one for the good guys!

Was in Syracuse for a Magic tournament and didn't make day two (but still played OK), so we went to the mall because they had some weird edutainment-style indoor amusement park which was so-so but sometimes cool.

Anyway, my point, is that I was able to hit up a used game store in that mall and found Heavy Barrel for like 12.99. Score one for the good guys!

Nice. Likely priced some time ago before the recent jump. I found one in a local store for about the same price but it has a very faded label and I'm too picky for that.

Glad you found a slip, but Jay Street is generally really high. If you are ever in the area again, there are a couple shops in the city that are excellent.

Also, i got a complete copy of Quest Of Ki at an event in Pittsburgh recently, and i love the game, but man its tough after the first 60 levels.

StAidan

Just picked up ice climber, never played it and only know if it from Smash Bros.

Is it any good or fun?

It's really hard, but I enjoy it a lot. The controls are stiff and the hit detection is unforgiving, so it takes some getting used to. One of my favorite black box games, though.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man I'm bad at eBaying. Lost an auction for a complete AV Famicom.

I guess it's for the best...I should probably be putting that cash towards a AVS instead.

Anth0ny

Man I'm bad at eBaying. Lost an auction for a complete AV Famicom.

I guess it's for the best...I should probably be putting that cash towards a AVS instead.

I got a complete AV Famicom about 2 years ago now, and it was tough then winning an auction for a reasonable price. thing's in high demand.

keep at it and you'll get one for a good price eventually!

OnPoint

Glad you found a slip, but Jay Street is generally really high. If you are ever in the area again, there are a couple shops in the city that are excellent.

Also, i got a complete copy of Quest Of Ki at an event in Pittsburgh recently, and i love the game, but man its tough after the first 60 levels.

Their prices didn't seem great overall but that one jumped out at me as "buy me now!" for sure.

cantona222

I would tape it

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I wrote this the day they released the video:

Heavy Barrel featured on the recent video from the Cinemassacre-channel/AVGN, get the game while you can before the prizes explode, pretty sure there aint that many copies out there of this one.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I got a complete AV Famicom about 2 years ago now, and it was tough then winning an auction for a reasonable price. thing's in high demand.

keep at it and you'll get one for a good price eventually!

I put a decent bid on it but someone else out of me with like 2 seconds left so I didn't even have a chance to retaliate.

On my "man that expensive" note, I was looking into getting Darkwing Duck because I somehow missed out on it as a child even though I was a massive fan of the show...it too is more expensive than I thought it would be.

-KRS-

Wow that's rough

Ha!

Just played through it. A no-death run! It's pretty much my favorite game on the system so I know it inside out. I think it's the only game other than SMB1 that I can do a no-death run in. I already had the PAL version but I wanted a 60hz version, and the Japanese boxart is so sexy. Plus it has the superior player sprite as well. ;)

I've done that before, maybe not on NES games, but on some game boxes I think, can't remember which ones.. Gameboy maybe? Anyway, the cardboard has these cuts in the sides in the top of the lid. It's meant to make the lid hold, but the result is that you can't open it without bending the cardboard. I've put tape on the inside over those cuts, so the lid simply tucks in without 'locking'. Can easily open it without damaging it then.

I've never taped up a box to strengthen it though.. What about tossing that box into a box protector?

I'm moving away from CIB now though. Can't get over those fragile cardboard boxes. Would rather just have a drawer of carts in sleeves, or possibly some day, carts in custom cases.

Top Bottom