• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

carlos

Dont forget warping to different locations in crystalis by using a second controller. Just mash buttons and d pad and it should work eventually. Beware, since it can take you to really strong enemies and the poison area as well.
Loved this game back in the day, but never did finish it since i lost my save near the end. I did however hate how the bosses are invulnerable if you didnt grind, and there is no way to tell if you are strong enough until you get to the boss.

IrishNinja

i loved MG1 in the day, and had fun at a friend's place with Snake's Revenge. it sounds like i may've been the only person to claim this

Got to the bug boss in the forest/swamp. Pretty tough to nail his weak spot between his blasts - it's a small target and you have a very short window of opportunity to hit it between his shots at you.

Something weird happened to me. I got poisoned and didn't have an antidote. I was flush with money from grinding and decided I would use my only pair of warp boots to go back to the first town and stock up on cheap stuff. I got there and the place was deserted! Used telepathy on the rabbit in the barn to learn that the place had been attacked. No boots left and no one to buy them from ... so I slowly died of poisoning in a ghost town.

...this is awesome

Olly88

YES!

hr6tfwJl.jpg

Damn, I must have thought I'd beaten it on after about five different bosses. Love completin these kind of games 8)

OnPoint

Yo Olly nice work! It's a great feeling in't it?

Sorry I've been slackin on the Crystalis guys!

Monday I'm going to open voting for February's game (January is Battletoads) so let's start making our nominations now!

hey nes GAF,
i brought some nes games last week over ebay but i still don't have a system yet =)

first one came in is mike tyson's punch out complete with letter for 80 bucks shipped. it's pretty good condition. the other two i'll post up when i get them in the mail in a few days.

emb

Crystalis is the best. Might go for another play through soon.

HLTB lists Crystalis at 9 hours. Is this accurate? I wonder if I can play through it by January.
Probably pretty close, depending on how lost you get.
Anyone here got Pat Contri's Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library book? Worth getting?
Was looking through my friend's copy. It definitely feels like a nice book. It's huge, a lot thicker than I thought it was going to be. Every page I skimmed through looks good, and the articles at the end sounded interesting enough. I could see myself flipping to a page and reading the review whenever I wondered about a game. I can't vouch for the textual content of it though.

SKINNER!

Banned
Was looking through my friend's copy. It definitely feels like a nice book. It's huge, a lot thicker than I thought it was going to be. Every page I skimmed through looks good, and the articles at the end sounded interesting enough. I could see myself flipping to a page and reading the review whenever I wondered about a game. I can't vouch for the textual content of it though.

Cheers buddy :) I have found an e-book with the same content and format (not a copy of Pat's book but a different book where the creator just grabbed the info and game descriptions from Wikipedia and formatted it to look like a guide book) but it would probably be a pain in the butt to print and bind. Plus, I really like Pat's stuff so I have no problems with buying it.

Shame it doesn't include famicom titles though :(

Only close one I've come across is this Japanese book but it's out of print and ridiculously expensive. Looks great though! Any Japanese Neogaffers know if there's cheaper/reprinted versions of the book? Would love to own a copy

Source: https://lostinrehearsal.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/fami-complete.html

OnPoint

Hey guys,

We need to pick the game for February 2017.
We need five picks. Please, no games we've played before.
I'll kick us off.

February 2017 nomination list
  1. Jackal
  2. ???
  3. ???
  4. ???
  5. ???

Let's get these all in before Friday yeah? I'd like to vote and know before the end of the month so y'all have time to get your game :)

Nice pick-up David! Having the letter from Tyson is very desirable for CIB copies of Punch-Out!!

I still haven't been able to devote enough time to Crystalis. I'm definitely not playing Battletoads in January though, so maybe I'll just stretch it into two months.

What? Why not?

Because I'm not a masochist! I simply will never be able to find enough time time right now to play the game enough to memorize all those balls-hard tunnels and what not. I mean, I'm sure I'll play the first couple of levels with everyone (I do own the game) but I would rather play a game where a scrub like me has a glimmer of hope of progressing (i.e. an RPG like Crystalis).

Lothar

Banned
Because I'm not a masochist! I simply will never be able to find enough time time right now to play the game enough to memorize all those balls-hard tunnels and what not. I mean, I'm sure I'll play the first couple of levels with everyone (I do own the game) but I would rather play a game where a scrub like me has a glimmer of hope of progressing (i.e. an RPG like Crystalis).

The main reason I'm looking forward to it is I want to show everyone it's more doable than people think. :) There's some tips to make it easier. Hit the rat, don't move the control pad when making jumps in the Turbo Tunnel, you can build up extra lives in Surf City if you need it, most obstacles are the same pattern (either up-down or left-right over and over), whether it's Turbo Tunnel walls or running from gears, take warps if you want to bypass troublesome areas.

I haven't had a chance to get to Crystalis yet. 9 hours is a bigger investment than usual for NES and I've already beaten it.

The main reason I'm looking forward to it is I want to show everyone it's more doable than people think. :) There's some tips to make it easier. Hit the rat, don't move the control pad when making jumps in the Turbo Tunnel, you can build up extra lives in Surf City if you need it, most obstacles are the same pattern (either up-down or left-right over and over), whether it's Turbo Tunnel walls or running from gears, take warps if you want to bypass troublesome areas.

I haven't had a chance to get to Crystalis yet. 9 hours is a bigger investment than usual for NES and I've already beaten it.

OK, well I'll take your word for it. I'm sure I'll give it a try. But I couldn't beat Shatterhand or Blaster Master and lots of folks here said they were on the easy side. My skillz just aren't what they used to be...

OnPoint

OK, well I'll take your word for it. I'm sure I'll give it a try. But I couldn't beat Shatterhand or Blaster Master and lots of folks here said they were on the easy side. My skillz just aren't what they used to be...
Shatterhand is easy.
Blaster Master is easier when you know what you're doing.
Battletoads is not easy.

Lothar

Banned
I haven't been able to beat Blaster Master. The fact that you could be playing far into it and can't get extra lives makes it more brutal I think. It's more unforgiving. In one of the later stages of Battletoads, Terra Tubes, you could get up to 10 lives if wanted. (1-ups reappear every time you die plus you get extra lives from points. So you could keep purposely dying, grabbing the 1-up, and building up points/lives.). Just by accident I usually end up getting a lot of extra lives from that part because they put the 1-up in the hardest section.

Nice pick-up David! Having the letter from Tyson is very desirable for CIB copies of Punch-Out!!

thanks man! i've been hunting around for that Mike Tyson letter!

Top Gunners (jackal) is awesome. what's so cool about Jackal's power ups: Konami paid homage to Jackal by making a Super Contra(arcade) weapon match Jackal's power up system.
Jackal's upgrade splash damage pattern = Super Contra(arcade) upgrade splash damage pattern of the shell weapon

bc limited resources i'll give an example using youtube clips:
Super Contra Arcade
Jackal Arcade
Jackal NES

just some random info as i love both Jackal and Contra.

OnPoint

I haven't been able to beat Blaster Master. The fact that you could be playing far into it and can't get extra lives makes it more brutal I think. It's more unforgiving. In one of the later stages of Battletoads, Terra Tubes, you could get up to 10 lives if wanted. (1-ups reappear every time you die plus you get extra lives from points. So you could keep purposely dying, grabbing the 1-up, and building up points/lives.). Just by accident I usually end up getting a lot of extra lives from that part because they put the 1-up in the hardest section.

Yeah, just the pressure of knowing each death matters sucks in that game.

Battletoads' problem is that it's incredibly unfair in so many spots, though. You understate it so drastically. Most people can't handle the Turbo Tunnel, I can't imagine how they're going to handle the pre-final battle tower climb, Clinger Wingers or Rat Race. I get you can punch the rat, but the levels really aren't that fair and subsequently not a lot of fun. We'll see, I'll be looking to you for tips and tricks next month for sure.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Have been playing Shining in the Darkness for the Mega Drive-club, so still hasnt started Crystalis properly. Which is embarrasing since i nominated it. But then i also nominated Shining, so guess both my games eon this month. At least there is still christmas break.

For february, i would like to nominate the original Double Dragon.

Timu

Yeah, just the pressure of knowing each death matters sucks in that game.

Battletoads' problem is that it's incredibly unfair in so many spots, though. You understate it so drastically. Most people can't handle the Turbo Tunnel, I can't imagine how they're going to handle the pre-final battle tower climb, Clinger Wingers or Rat Race. I get you can punch the rat, but the levels really aren't that fair and subsequently not a lot of fun. We'll see, I'll be looking to you for tips and tricks next month for sure.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Clinger Wingers requires perfection, Rat Race requires you to master hitting the 3rd rat perfectly(miss once and the chances to come back are very, very slim) though thankfully you never need to punch the 1st 2 at all, Terra Tubes requires perfection to know when to avoid cogs, Volkmire's Inferno requires you to know when to move back and forward between the electrically, and the last stage is a nightmare because it's the longest stage in the game and you need to be perfect with jumping up and avoiding being killed by those enemies that blow you off the stage. I personally I hate the last stage and want to beat it next month to finally beat this hardass game.

Even with all those extra lives, there's skill required to beat the game regardless.

Lothar

Banned
*whispers* I'm just trying to give them confidence. I'm going "It'll be ok guys. You can do it!" to people who are trying to back out.

For february, i would like to nominate the original Double Dragon.

Good one. I'll sign off on this too.

Battletoads and then Double Dragon is a perfect fit.

Timu

*whispers* I'm just trying to give them confidence. I'm going "It'll be ok guys. You can do it!" to people who are trying to back out.
I'm all for that, it's just not the easiest game to get through as we prepare them for what to expect. It's cool to have that kind of support for a demanding game like that as the point is to tough through it and beat it.

I can even beat Clinger Winger without the pause trick, though that ball tends to get close almost every time.

dubc35

I'd vote for Double Dragon too! My brother, nephew, and I were playing it a bunch over thanksgiving. One of my all time favorites. Of course my 7 year old nephew was about as good as I am after like 3 hours, lol!

I'd vote for Double Dragon too! My brother, nephew, and I were playing it a bunch over thanksgiving. One of my all time favorites. Of course my 7 year old nephew was about as good as I am after like 3 hours, lol!

i loved double dragon but the only issue was if you didn't have 3 hearts by the time you reach william with the bat you're so screwed w/o the jump kick. that ticked me off so much as a kid. Why you do that to me Technos?

OnPoint

~!~!~!~!~!~!~ VOTE FOR FEB 2017 NOW CLICK HERE ~!~!~!~!~!~!~

Dreamworld Pogie is having a kickstarter to get a physical release. What do you guys think of it? There is no mention of further work on the game to make it more playable or remove bugs, and frankly on top of boring gameplay and very peculiar graphics I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth it for the object itself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...a-new-old-game-by-the-oliver-twin/description

Meh. Looks not so great to me.

Khaz

I don't really understand this. Nothing about a dpad or face buttons are a hand specific thing, right?

Given each hand has a separate action, they must be. Early controllers like on the 2600 had the button on the left side, with the intend to use the main hand to control the character on screen (the action button was often unused, or used without critical timing). Plenty of third party controllers had the button on the stick itself, so that the main hand was the only hand used, or had a button on both sides of the switch with the same function to accommodate for handedness. It was switched around by Nintendo when controls got more complex with several buttons, to allow the main hand to control the action while the off hand controls the movements. A point to be made is that the dpad thumb is always on the dpad and only need to be pushed around, requiring less fine control than the button finger which is hovering over the buttons and needs to hit the correct button with precise timing. Some early controllers from that era still had buttons on the left side, like the notorious Master System Control Stick. Early console shooters, like Halo, had a lefty control option that switched the sticks so that fine aiming control could be given to the dominant hand, until lazy designers gave up giving options to the player.

As a lefty I don't feel left out by digital controllers like the NES one, controls are simple enough that even the off hand can do a good job with it. And I'm too old to relearn everything mirrored. However I'm shit at console FPS, I just can't aim for the life of me, and that may be why. Same for twin stick shooters like Geometry Wars, I can dodge just fine but shooting isn't my strong point. Maybe I'm just shit at these games and my handedness has nothing to do with it though. Shmups are controlled with the left hand mainly, and I'm not a top player in those either.

The problem with the Goofy Foot controller is that it isn't a mirror image, B and A aren't in the same position relatively to the thumb and that's a big problem for games where you need to hit both or hold one.

Given each hand has a separate action, they must be. Early controllers like on the 2600 had the button on the left side, with the intend to use the main hand to control the character on screen (the action button was often unused, or used without critical timing). Plenty of third party controllers had the button on the stick itself, so that the main hand was the only hand used, or had a button on both sides of the switch with the same function to accommodate for handedness. It was switched around by Nintendo when controls got more complex with several buttons, to allow the main hand to control the action while the off hand controls the movements. A point to be made is that the dpad thumb is always on the dpad and only need to be pushed around, requiring less fine control than the button finger which is hovering over the buttons and needs to hit the correct button with precise timing. Some early controllers from that era still had buttons on the left side, like the notorious Master System Control Stick. Early console shooters, like Halo, had a lefty control option that switched the sticks so that fine aiming control could be given to the dominant hand, until lazy designers gave up giving options to the player.

As a lefty I don't feel left out by digital controllers like the NES one, controls are simple enough that even the off hand can do a good job with it. And I'm too old to relearn everything mirrored. However I'm shit at console FPS, I just can't aim for the life of me, and that may be why. Same for twin stick shooters like Geometry Wars, I can dodge just fine but shooting isn't my strong point. Maybe I'm just shit at these games and my handedness has nothing to do with it though. Shmups are controlled with the left hand mainly, and I'm not a top player in those either.

The problem with the Goofy Foot controller is that it isn't a mirror image, B and A aren't in the same position relatively to the thumb and that's a big problem for games where you need to hit both or hold one.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. And yes that last thing is an odd oversight.

Huggers

In less than a week we will be playing Battletoads for January Game of the Month...can't wait!!!

*Getting our arses kicked by Battletoads!

Out of the February games, I've only played Double Dragon so I'm keen for any of the others.

Mr. Virus

Any OG Famicom owners in PAL land? Got given one for Christmas but unable to tune it into via RF so far. Wondering if there are any solutions that don't involve modding the thing to make it work okay.

D.Lo

Any OG Famicom owners in PAL land? Got given one for Christmas but unable to tune it into via RF so far. Wondering if there are any solutions that don't involve modding the thing to make it work okay.
No, unless you have an NTSC tuner you're out of luck.

Your only options are a mod (probably best) or a box like this. There are RF to composite ones as well.

Top Bottom