• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Guzim

I have the NES classic, but I figured this would be the more appropriate thread to post in.

I finally beat Ninja Gaiden today! It was decades in the making, but my childhood self was so happy.

Bog

Junior Ace
I picked up a CIB Crystalis a few weeks ago and have been playing it recently. Had no idea it was the game of the month in here.

dubc35

Get prepared by watching Bootsy's Battletoads tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vME1aQrGGQ
Guy is so chill, great video! Thanks for sharing! Twitter feed says he's a Mets fan but wearing a Blue Jays hat in video, wat?

Voted! I need to give Willy
and Jimmy
a beatdown! (Double Dragon).

alf717

Guy is so chill, great video! Thanks for sharing! Twitter feed says he's a Mets fan but wearing a Blue Jays hat in video, wat?

Voted! I need to give Willy
and Jimmy
a beatdown! (Double Dragon).

I voted for Double Dragon as well. Actually decided to just start play it now. I love the way it looks via component on the Virtual Console. I never beat this game but I keep getting closer and closer. I'm wondering if the enemies get stronger as you level up in this game because they are kicking my butt especially Abobo. Got handed a new one fighting Willy on my third go of it today.

dubc35

I voted for Double Dragon as well. Actually decided to just start play it now. I love the way it looks via component on the Virtual Console. I never beat this game but I keep getting closer and closer. I'm wondering if the enemies get stronger as you level up in this game because they are kicking my butt especially Abobo. Got handed a new one fighting Willy on my third go of it today.
I think I have only made it to Willy once although that was back in the day. I hope it wins so it will give me some proper time to devote to it.

Huggers

I have the NES classic, but I figured this would be the more appropriate thread to post in.

I finally beat Ninja Gaiden today! It was decades in the making, but my childhood self was so happy.

Nice. One of the toughest games I've ever beaten. Only did it a few months back for the first time myself.

I plan to beat it. I made it to the last stage earlier this year as well. And I hated it.

Don't think I can commit to that but I'll give it my best shot!

Timu

Ninja Gaiden 3 is far worse than 1 when it comes to difficulty.
Don't think I can commit to that but I'll give it my best shot!
Yeah, do your best, it'll be fun! Most stages rely on memorization but some require you to be perfect or else you're dead. Still worth a shot though!

Lothar

Banned

Tell us when you beat Startropics, Castlevania, and Ghosts N Goblins. Those are even harder. What a shame NES Classic doesn't have Battletoads.

Pejo

Aw man, just saw this thread. Apparently I'm a little behind on the Crystalis discussion.

It's one of my all time favorite NES games. Does anyone else remember the Controller 2 cheat stuff that lets you warp around the game and collect stuff all out of order?

Anyways, I'm inspired to fire this up tonight when i get home. I still can hum most of the themes inside my head.

Is the main character a guy or a girl by the way? I always pictured a guy with a weird techno-hairband thing, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to look like.

Huggers

Ninja Gaiden 3 is far worse than 1 when it comes to difficulty.Yeah, do your best, it'll be fun! Most stages rely on memorization but some require you to be perfect or else you're dead. Still worth a shot though!

Yeah limited continues kills it. Famicom version the only way to go

Last time I played Battletoads I got past the turbo tunnel but not much further. Must practice!

Tell us when you beat Startropics, Castlevania, and Ghosts N Goblins. Those are even harder. What a shame NES Classic doesn't have Battletoads.

Castlevania is way easier than Ninja Gaiden to me. I can no death run CV. I'd have no chance of doing that on NG

Bog

Junior Ace
Why are you guys voting for things not on the NES Classic for Nov, Dec, Jan? This is likely the time with the biggest influx of NES players. Seems silly to purposely leave them out.

OnPoint

Why are you guys voting for things not on the NES Classic for Nov, Dec, Jan? This is likely the time with the biggest influx of NES players. Seems silly to purposely leave them out.

Mostly because nobody had the forethought to plan the months around that. Also, I like how we do the nomination process, as people get excited about their nominated games being picked.

But honestly, upon thinking about it, if people came in with an interest in this thread and were participating in the monthly club and their only means for playing NES games is the Classic, they'd run out of games eventually and they'd drop back off. I'd have to imagine the conversion rate from NES Classic owner to actual hardware enthusiast would be incredibly low. I'd imagine that eventually a game is going to cross over. It just hasn't happened yet.

There's nothing stopping folks who own a Classic from coming in here and talking about Punch-Out!! or Ninja Gaiden. We talk about non-Club picked games often. The truth is those with a Classic are in the Classic thread. And I think it kind of works out OK that way.

Timu

Castlevania is way easier than Ninja Gaiden to me. I can no death run CV. I'd have no chance of doing that on NG
Ninja Gaiden isn't that bad to no death. I did it and only took a few months. Most bosses are extremely easy and stages require more memorization than anything. I made 6-2 look easy even.

Castlevania requires sub weapons to no death. Shame that enemies do like 4 damage or so plus stiff controls, though it's shorter so that helps.

Aw man, just saw this thread. Apparently I'm a little behind on the Crystalis discussion.

It's one of my all time favorite NES games. Does anyone else remember the Controller 2 cheat stuff that lets you warp around the game and collect stuff all out of order?

Anyways, I'm inspired to fire this up tonight when i get home. I still can hum most of the themes inside my head.

Is the main character a guy or a girl by the way? I always pictured a guy with a weird techno-hairband thing, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to look like.

The main character's a guy, because
there's also iirc Meisa, the girl who you run into who was sealed away when you were sealed away back before the world was destroyed

Also, with the controller trick,
ever try using it once you get the Crystalis sword? *lol* It breaks the game. You can't get back to the tower but everything you kill gets destroyed instantly and the monsters explode into crystals.

Huggers

Ninja Gaiden isn't that bad to no death. I did it and only took a few months. Most bosses are extremely easy and stages require more memorization than anything. I made 6-2 look easy even.

Castlevania requires sub weapons to no death. Shame that enemies do like 4 damage or so plus stiff controls, though it's shorter so that helps.

'Only a few months' lol. It's partly because I've played CV that much more I guess. And there's no shame in user sub weapons!

dubc35

I've been playing OG Castlevania in my 20 or so free minutes a night lately. I've only made it to the level where all the frog type things keep getting dropped from the flying things (super technical descriptions lol). Fuck that level.

Huggers

I've been playing OG Castlevania in my 20 or so free minutes a night lately. I've only made it to the level where all the frog type things keep getting dropped from the flying things (super technical descriptions lol). Fuck that level.

Make sure you whip them before they hit the floor, shouldn't be too bad

lol

Sounds like you're talking about mean the fleamen. Just pace yourself so only one spawns at a time then whip them as they fall of the birds but before they hit the ground so you don't have to deal with their erratic movement.

dubc35

Make sure you whip them before they hit the floor, shouldn't be too bad

lol

Sounds like you're talking about mean the fleamen. Just pace yourself so only one spawns at a time then whip them as they fall of the birds but before they hit the ground so you don't have to deal with their erratic movement.

Oh, my pace may be the issue. I usually try to keep moving forward as fast as I can. I have been whipping them as they fall but get in trouble when they come from the front and back. I'll try to temper my pace next time. Thanks!

D.Lo

There's nothing stopping folks who own a Classic from coming in here and talking about Punch-Out!! or Ninja Gaiden. We talk about non-Club picked games often. The truth is those with a Classic are in the Classic thread. And I think it kind of works out OK that way.
The classic thread isn't really a game discussion thread, it's a whining about stock and arguing about if the lag is better/worse than other stuff thread.

OnPoint

The classic thread isn't really a game discussion thread, it's a whining about stock and arguing about if the lag is better/worse than other stuff thread.

That sounds awful. I mean people are welcome to come in here and chat about the games. I would welcome it for sure. I just don't think I'd want to tailor our selection process to an audience that will more than likely be temporary.

bodine1231

I'm ready to break at LEAST one controller for next months game!

zFEyEezl.jpg

OnPoint

No problem with sub weapons, just sucks that the game is harder without them.

Shouldn't a game be harder if you choose not to use one of its mechanics?

I know that things like the Death fight are a crapshoot at best without the proper subweapon

Timu

Shouldn't a game be harder if you choose not to use one of its mechanics?

I know that things like the Death fight are a crapshoot at best without the proper subweapon
Yes, that is true. Though it's possible to beat them without them for various games.

D.Lo

To me it's the same as trying to mega buster only your way through Mega Man, it should be tough
Yeah exactly, the game is literally built with the subweapons in mind. It wouldn't be broken even if it was not completable without sub weapons.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Was just able to beat Shining in the Darkness a few days ago, so never got around to start Crystallis I guess. Oh well, might have to play it into january since im probably going to be quickly fed up with Battletoads.

Also, i very much agree with OnPoint in the fine points he made about the Game Club. However, everybody with a NES Classic is free to come in here and nominate and vote, so in that way maybe a game on the Classic will eventually win.

Lothar

Banned
Oh yeah, it's time. Everyone let Bootsy's voice soothe you. You can do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1U66-iiPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1BT5h6j6IU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8iZWZLF1T8

Some of the most daunting stages can be skipped by warps. Like the snake area and Vokmire's Inferno. If you can beat Turbo Tunnel, you'll likely meet your end on those unless you're very familiar with them. Volkmire's Inferno requires the most memorization in the game I feel. But they can be skipped.

The Ice Level (Stage 4) can also be skipped with warps.

Warp to skip Ice Level and go to easy Surf City. - At the final part of the Turbo Tunnel when the walls are moving fast, count the walls and hit the 10th one. It'll be flashing.

Warp to skip most of the snake area and Volkmire's Inferno - In the 2nd snake room, climb the first snake and at the top jump blindly all the way to the right. There will be a warp there.

Timu

Oh yeah, it's time. Everyone let Bootsy's voice soothe you. You can do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1U66-iiPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1BT5h6j6IU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8iZWZLF1T8

Some of the most daunting stages can be skipped by warps. Like the snake area and Vokmire's Inferno. If you can beat Turbo Tunnel, you'll likely meet your end on those unless you're very familiar with them. Volkmire's Inferno requires the most memorization in the game I feel. But they can be skipped.

The Ice Level (Stage 4) can also be skipped with warps.

Warp to skip Ice Level and go to easy Surf City. - At the final part of the Turbo Tunnel when the walls are moving fast, count the walls and hit the 10th one. It'll be flashing.

Warp to skip most of the snake area and Volkmire's Inferno - In the 2nd snake room, climb the first snake and at the top jump blindly all the way to the right. There will be a warp there.
I can definitely do it, I mean I got to the last level multiple times but I hate that stage a lot, more so than most due to the platforming of this level and instant kill enemies. I hate how it's the longest stage in the game as well and the checkpoints are brutal. Later on I should be able to do it.

Also I don't rely on warps, in fact the only time I went into one was an accident on Turbo Tunnel recently because I didn't want to go in it and yet it skipped me to stage 5.

Volkmire's Inferno definitely needs the most memorization but so do Terra Tubes when it comes to avoiding the cogs since spikes are instant death. Both stages always gives me trouble.

I mastered one half of the game and need to master the other half.

Also Bootsy is awesome. He should do more vids.

OnPoint

Hey y'all, sorry for the delay in everything. Our image has yet to be created for Battletoads and I'm out of town and can't wrangle it for the moment. So the update is really behind. If anyone else feels up to putting it together please do, otherwise I can do it on Monday at the earliest.

That said, I'm at MAGFest and we're showing our game, so feel free to stop by and say hi in the MIVS area if you're here and so inclined! Our game is Bruisin Cruisers :)

bearbytes

So over the holidays I received a Twin Famicom! I got the 2nd model in red, this thing is so sweet. I'm impressed by how high quality it feels, the cart/disk selector switch, the eject button... I just really like using it. My only complaint is how short the controller cords are... Has anyone tried one of those adapters that lets you use NES controllers through the accessory port?

I got the FDS version of zelda 1, it's been fun playing through and picking out the different sound effects and I love when you enter a new area and you can hear the click and whir of the disk system loading. Of course I initially had to google why my controller wouldn't do anything on the title screen...

Does anyone have any recommendations for FDS games that make good use of the expansion audio? (preferably nothing too pricey or anything that requires reading japanese to play) I dig these little disks and want to pick up some more games.

Hey y'all, sorry for the delay in everything. Our image has yet to be created for Battletoads and I'm out of town and can't wrangle it for the moment. So the update is really behind. If anyone else feels up to putting it together please do, otherwise I can do it on Monday at the earliest.

That said, I'm at MAGFest and we're showing our game, so feel free to stop by and say hi in the MIVS area if you're here and so inclined! Our game is Bruisin Cruisers :)

Just checked out the trailer for your game, looks cool! I always like seeing what other indie devs are working on.

Lothar

Banned
Battletoads, y'all. Am I gonna have to drag people kicking and screaming to their NESes?

I'm rusty. I had to use a continue for the Arctic Caverns. Shameful. Clinger Winger did a number on me.

And nooooooo, I made it all the final boss and she killed me. She couldn't have had more than a few hits left. I thought I was going for the kill hit but I missed and she kicked me to death.

10WgOyP.png

ZBuBHOt.png

Timu

Battletoads, y'all. Am I gonna have to drag people kicking and screaming to their NESes?

I'm rusty. I had to use a continue for the Arctic Caverns. Shameful. Clinger Winger did a number on me.

And nooooooo, I made it all the final boss and she killed me. She couldn't have had more than a few hits left. I thought I was going for the kill hit but I missed and she kicked me to death.

10WgOyP.png

ZBuBHOt.png
Oh man, that is nuts. It's best to use 1 continue more than half way through the game at least. I had to use continues as well and got close to the end but blew it. I still hate the last few stages. Oh well there's always next time.

Voliko

I think I'm gonna try this weekend. I haven't played it in a long while. I think I used to be able to consistently get to that water stage and die during the swimming parts with the electric eels and spikes every time.

D.Lo

Does anyone have any recommendations for FDS games that make good use of the expansion audio? (preferably nothing too pricey or anything that requires reading japanese to play) I dig these little disks and want to pick up some more games.
Search my username and Famicom Disk, I've written lists many times in this thread.

Generally all 1987 onward Konami games make the best use of it.

Lothar

Banned
Oh man, that is nuts. It's best to use 1 continue more than half way through the game at least. I had to use continues as well and got close to the end but blew it. I still hate the last few stages. Oh well there's always next time.

I hate the Arctic Caverns more than the final stage. I actually enjoy the final stage. It's not too bad as long as you understand that there are parts where you have to go fast and there's parts where you have to take your time. For the last part when something is trying to blow you off the stage, you just can't stop. I didn't die once on the final stage until the boss.

But this part is a fucker.
PSNgE4X.png

A ball is rolling behind you so you can't take your time. Yet if you go too fast, you'll run right into the spike. If you jump too early, you'll hit the ceiling. You're also sliding because you're on ice.

Thankfully this stage can be skipped with warps, so those of you that don't want to do it don't have to. I recommend doing it for those new to the game and struggling with it.

Voliko

I hate the Arctic Caverns more than the final stage. I actually enjoy the final stage. It's not too bad as long as you understand that there are parts where you have to go fast and there's parts where you have to take your time. For the last part when something is trying to blow you off the stage, you just can't stop. I didn't die once on the final stage until the boss.

But this part is a fucker.
PSNgE4X.png

A ball is rolling behind you so you can't take your time. Yet if you go too fast, you'll run right into the spike. If you jump too early, you'll hit the ceiling. You're also sliding because you're on ice.

Thankfully this stage can be skipped with warps, so those of you that don't want to do it don't have to. I recommend doing it for those new to the game and struggling with it.
Moments like that are why I really like the game. It felt like a lot of care was put into designing the game and for me it's like a precursor to DKC2 and 3 with all the clever gameplay ideas introduced all the time

And I can't help but grin when I screw up and my toad gets wrecked in such an absurd but well crafted scenario

TeaJay

Well, I'm going to kick this thing off: just finished Battletoads for the first time since I was a kid. However:

- I did use warps (albeit I'm confident that I could do the skipped stages too)
- I did use the Japanese version, which is slightly easier (5 lives instead of 3, and Turbo Tunnel doesn't have those ! parts)
- I did use the pause cheat in Clinger Winger, because, you know, f*ck Clinger Winger

But other than that I'm happy that I was able to finally beat it. IMO Terra Tubes (level 9) is where it gets really tough. I was able to beat Rat Race running part on my first try, although I died a few times at the boss.

Also, if you want to farm extra lives at the last stage, just keep destroying the bubbles the pink cloud drops.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow congrats! I havent really started it yet, playing Wonderboy in the Mega Drive-club instead for something more relaxing :)

Top Bottom