• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Crossposting this question from the retro thread.

Don't know if they are all equal quality but I bought one that claimed to be OEM refurbished and it works great. Keep in mind, I also clipped the 10NES chip, too, so that is an additional help to mitigate blinking issues. Both are quite easy to do yourself. I am certainly not a modder or tinkerer.

Peltz

Don't know if they are all equal quality but I bought one that claimed to be OEM refurbished and it works great. Keep in mind, I also clipped the 10NES chip, too, so that is an additional help to mitigate blinking issues. Both are quite easy to do yourself. I am certainly not a modder or tinkerer.

My chip has been clipped. Thanks for the feedback. I ordered an OEM refurbished one.

Mr. Virus

Crossposting this question from the retro thread.

They can grip games a bit tight and be difficult to get carts out of*, but once they loosen up a bit they're fine.

*I had to disassemble a NES to get one out after using it with the new pins for the first time. Gets the fear up you a bit.

Timu

So, after many attempts I finally beat Battletoads. This game was hell!!! I swear I spent many attempts just to beat the Dark Queen. I'm so glad I managed to mostly master more than half of the game to finally beat it. This game is no joke! Thank goodness for all those lives and continues I had saved up to the end.

What a game man!

Oh man, doing a youtube playthrough on this game would take forever!!!=O

Lothar

Banned
So, after many attempts I finally beat Battletoads. This game was hell!!! I swear I spent many attempts just to beat the Dark Queen. I'm so glad I managed to mostly master more than half of the game to finally beat it. This game is no joke! Thank goodness for all those lives and continues I had saved up to the end.

What a game man!

Congrats! Would you say it's the hardest NES game?

Lothar

Banned
Did you ever beat Battletoads/Double Dragon? I'm trying to beat that now. This one is harder for me. Maybe I just don't know the tricks yet.

Timu

Did you ever beat Battletoads/Double Dragon? I'm trying to beat that now. This one is harder for me. Maybe I just don't know the tricks yet.
I got into that years ago and did make good progress, but I kept getting distracted by other games, lol. I need to beat that one as well. It'll happen sometime though...after spending months on it.

Huggers

What a game man!

Oh man, doing a youtube playthrough on this game would take forever!!!=O

Congrats Timu, I knew you'd make it through it, never in doubt!

OnPoint

Timu, you're insane! Congrats!

My hot take: Despite its difficulty and my bitching about its poor design, I enjoy playing Battletoads more than Bionic Commando.

MizzouRah

I've been playing a lot of Paperboy recently, and for the first time in my life it dawned on me: People are angrily painting their houses red, just because they're dissatisfied with my paper services. That's a lot of effort to go through just because I missed your fucking door with my toss while your demonic lawn jockey was trying to push me into the street.

Alternate theory: the houses are all white and the red that we see is an early version of Eagle/ Detective vision.

Lothar

Banned

My hot take: Despite its difficulty and my bitching about its poor design, I enjoy playing Battletoads more than Bionic Commando.

Don't give up. You made it to the Terra Tubes. You're in the home stretch. Terra Tubes is called the hardest stage by some. Conquer that and you just about made it. All that's left is Rat Race (keep knocking the rat into the walls and it's easy), Clingerwinger (Pause a lot to easily demolish), and the final stage.

Timu

Congrats Timu, I knew you'd make it through it, never in doubt!

Thank you guys, it was hell to get through. I am so glad I had years of experience playing it so I was able to get through most of the game so it when came to the end I had enough lives and continues to survive. I was on my last continue I believe so that made it even more intense, lol, but I finally figured out how to beat the final boss on my own without help or looking it up.

Lothar

Banned
Thank you very much.

I knew it was going to happen someday, definitely when I got to the 12th stage last year...which took me a long time to get through, lol.

Well, that hell is over with!

And now... the more challenging Battletoads/Double Dragon.

Congrats, its a hard game. When I first got into emulating games as a kid this game broke me and changed my ways of using save states in general for games. The sheer timing required to do the hoverbike stage forced me to stop using save states and rely on learning timing better. I wish I owned the NES version to replay through. I only own the SNES Battletoads game unfortunately and in a weird way I find the NES visuals hold up better considering the hardware of it.

What's the title for next month going to be?

Timu

Congrats, its a hard game. When I first got into emulating games as a kid this game broke me and changed my ways of using save states in general for games. The sheer timing required to do the hoverbike stage forced me to stop using save states and rely on learning timing better. I wish I owned the NES version to replay through. I only own the SNES Battletoads game unfortunately and in a weird way I find the NES visuals hold up better considering the hardware of it.

What's the title for next month going to be?
Thanks, and Double Dragon 1.

OnPoint

====================================
NOMINATIONS FOR MARCH 2017 ARE OPEN

As always, here are the rules:
.​
  • Game value can not exceed $40 as per PriceCharting
  • Must not have been played by the Club before
  • Must not have been nominated last round
  • One submission per NeoGAF member, per month
  • Official US/NTSC available games only
  • No RPG/grind-heavy games
  • Once 5 acceptable nominations are made, voting will open

And the list as it stands:
.​
  1. ?????
  2. ?????
  3. ?????
  4. ?????
  5. ?????

Thanks, and Double Dragon 1.

Thanks for letting Barrel know.

dubc35

I had solid plans to play Battletoads over holiday break...and then my son was born on Christmas day, ha! So...yeah...not much gaming going on lately outside of mobile since I can play with one hand while he sleeps in the other arm.

I'm going to have to start waking up early for work or something to get some time to play Double Dragon. I still remember playing it at my friends house in the 80's. It was the first NES game I ever played. sogood.gif

Lothar

Banned
Yay, Battletoads/Double Dragon is in the books.

I do think it's harder than Battletoads. You don't get as many lives. There's the stupid Solar Jetman stage. The Dark Queen is way tougher. She took an insane amount of hits, she's really fast, and she juggles you.

That feeling when you beat the last boss on your last block of life is awesome.

38R4juzm.png

lPyxa2Pm.png

CdnJT89m.png

MpSD3FGm.png

qfPMb8Om.png

OE9hNXNm.png

Timu

Yay, Battletoads/Double Dragon is in the books.

I do think it's harder than Battletoads. You don't get as many lives. There's the stupid Solar Jetman stage. The Dark Queen is way tougher. She took an insane amount of hits, she's really fast, and she juggles you.

That feeling when you beat the last boss on your last block of life is awesome.

38R4juzm.png

lPyxa2Pm.png

CdnJT89m.png

MpSD3FGm.png

qfPMb8Om.png

OE9hNXNm.png
Congrats dude, you are insane! I'll keep at this one in the future!

Lothar

Banned
I still can't beat Castlevania 1 though. I tried it again this week. That damn room with the axe knights and Medusa Heads. I can't do that without getting hit a few times, leaving me with little health for the boss. I tried it a few times, got frustrated, and quit.

OnPoint

I still can't beat Castlevania 1 though. I tried it again this week. That damn room with the axe knights and Medusa Heads. I can't do that without getting hit a few times, leaving me with little health for the boss. I tried it a few times, got frustrated, and quit.

Get through that room with the Holy Water and Death is a piece of cake. Literally he can't attack you.

Lothar

Banned
Get through that room with the Holy Water and Death is a piece of cake. Literally he can't attack you.

I got to him with the Holy Water and it stopped him from moving, yeah, but then the flying things killed me quickly. I didn't come close. You only get one chance with the holy water too since it's at the entrance of the level.

Nominating Metal Gear again, hopefully it can win this time.

I'll vote for it if you beat Battletoads. :)

OnPoint

I got to him with the Holy Water and it stopped him from moving, yeah, but then the flying things killed me quickly. I didn't come close. You only get one chance with the holy water too since it's at the entrance of the level.
If you hit him with it before they spawn and lock him, they never spawn. It helps to have a II or a III.

OnPoint

We need just one more! Lots of Konami in this month's selections so far lol

As always, here are the rules:
.​
  • Game value can not exceed $40 as per PriceCharting
  • Must not have been played by the Club before
  • Must not have been nominated last round
  • One submission per NeoGAF member, per month
  • Official US/NTSC available games only
  • No RPG/grind-heavy games
  • Once 5 acceptable nominations are made, voting will open

And the list as it stands:
.​
  1. Metal Gear
  2. Jackal
  3. Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy
  4. Laser Invasion
  5. ?????

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is there a list of what games were picked so far?

I nominate Ghosts N Goblins if It hasn't been picked.
- January 2017 Battletoads
- December 2016 - Crystalis
- November 2016 - Bionic Commando
- October 2016 - Castlevania
- September 2016 - Blaster Master
- August 2016 - Adventure Island
- July 2016 - Zanac
- June 2016 - Conquest of the Crystal Palace
- May 2016 - Wrecking Crew
- April 2016 - Street Fighter 2010
- March 2016 -The Guardian Legend
- February 2016 - Shatterhand