• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES sprites outta PixelBlocks - pics

bolak said:
If you zoom in enough, it's not really a problem to do them by eye. Alternatively, you can turn a grid on, which can help a lot for the more complicated sprites.

---

Here are mine: CLICKY

Hmm, I guess.

99400504_8686a1531c.jpg

BTW: Your Gunstar Pixelblock is awesome.

tnw said:
What I think is interesting is that 10 years ago people would probably have shunned these 8-bit designs as being ugly and 'last gen'.

I wonder if people will have nostalgia for Final Fantasy VII-ish early 3D stuff. I do actually.

cloud.jpg

Dude, PS1 graphics have some amazing charm to me. I can't explain why either. I am more impressed with great PS1 graphics than I am with great PS2 or PS3 (next-gen) style graphics.
And FF7 is a perfect example. It's so frustrating to hear the "it's so outdated" line again and again.

Powerslave said:
Dude, PS1 graphics have some amazing charm to me. I can't explain why either. I am more impressed with great PS1 graphics than I am with great PS2 or PS3 (next-gen) style graphics.
And FF7 is a perfect example. It's so frustrating to hear the "it's so outdated" line again and again.

It's not the graphics that are the problem, it's the framerate :(

Brelston

Damn, that Triclyde knocked me out of my chair. The running Mega Man was pretty sweet too. Well done all!

How to make them:
Search google for sprites or use the NES Sprite Database (again, google it), save the images and then blow them up 500% in some kind of image program (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro etc). Slap a grid on there (CTRL+G or something like that...) and you should have a one-for-one representation. If you choose well and have the required colors, it shouldn't take more than an hour to put one together. Smaller ones like Kirby take even less time.

As for Alucard not being that big... I dunno, he kinda has to be, right? I mean, all these NES ones are one-for-one, pixel-for-block big. Someone like Alucard or maybe Ryu would have to be much larger. Or am I just not getting it? Either way, that's a ton of blocks and yeah, a lot of colors. Most of which probably don't exist in PixelBlocks.

Shaneus

Just came across this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34152900@N00/sets/1686827/

So these Perler beads... you put them together on some kind of board, put paper over the top then iron them so they shrink and stick together? Seems like they'd be the way to go, given how cheap they are (6000 beads for $10AU!) and easy to make more than one thing.

Kinda makes me feel like I'm in art class again, looking at all this stuff!

LaneDS

This is some very cool stuff. Wouldn't have the patience for it but I commend everyone's efforts in this thread.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
JDSN said:
Crushed is gonna have a nerdasm when he sees that. :lol
Why? Magnet Man is a piece of crap.

Metal Man bends him over and violates him, violently.

tnw said:
What I think is interesting is that 10 years ago people would probably have shunned these 8-bit designs as being ugly and 'last gen'.

I wonder if people will have nostalgia for Final Fantasy VII-ish early 3D stuff. I do actually.

cloud.jpg

No, because that's not FFVII-ish early 3D.

This is:
e7frbr.png

tnw

Banned
?rushed said:
Why? Magnet Man is a piece of crap.

Metal Man bends him over and violates him, violently.

No, because that's not FFVII-ish early 3D.

This is:
e7frbrg

okay, I still like the way that looks.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
tnw said:
okay, I still like the way that looks.
Yeesh, different strokes for different folks I guess.

It just surprises me how many people think think that FF7 looked like:
cloud.jpg

When it actually looked like:
16krjwg.jpg

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
AdmiralViscen said:
What are PixelBlocks? Are these the things you put in the oven?
You could, but you'd probably end up with a useless lump of melted plastic.

Check out this "about" page on the official website to learn all you need to about these awesome toys.

BlueTsunami said:
The Megaman one = :O
Thanks! I've noticed that PixelBlock sprites look a lot nicer when they have black outlines in them. And they do look awesome with light shining through them.

On a related note, I just picked up some Perler Beads today to try my hand at those.

To those who have used Perler Beads: Are they only available in multi-color buckets? I'm not looking forward to sorting through this bucket of 6000 beads to find the ones that I need. I also wish that I could get specific colors because I know that there are plenty of colors in this bucket that I will never use.

AdmiralViscen said:
Shut the boards down folks, they're not needed.

I didn't know what they were upon entering the thread, and I simply looked at the thread and then googled pixelblocks. Asking what they are when you've seen a bunch of pics of them and have google at your disposal is kind of ridiculous.

Yeesh, different strokes for different folks I guess.

It just surprises me how many people think think that FF7 looked like:
cloud.jpg

When it actually looked like:
16krjwg.jpg
It actually looks like both. The top image is from a battle, the bottom from when you're walking around the world -- different models were used for the different modes.

Slavik81

keiichi said:
So there's roughly... what? 400 blocks in there? in 6 colours? Assuming you're making a couple of these things these must cost something like... $15-20 each? Probably a lot less if you actually make a half-dozen and manage to mostly use up all your blocks. (As the bulk of the expense seems to be paying for blocks you don't use.)

Any suggestions on the best place that ships to Canada?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Slavik81 said:
So there's roughly... what? 400 blocks in there? in 6 colours? Assuming you're making a couple of these things these must cost something like... $15-20 each? Probably a lot less if you actually make a half-dozen and manage to mostly use up all your blocks. (As the bulk of the expense seems to be paying for blocks you don't use.)

Any suggestions on the best place that ships to Canada?
I got mine from thinkgeek.com, i'm sure they ship to canada.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
tnw said:

cloud.jpg

I do!

OP: I love the Mega Man one give it to me now or face my Mega Buster

Slavik81

Shadowmancer said:
Any suggestions for good ones for a beginner to build?
I'm taking the easy-way out and just copying ones posted in this thread. My favourites have all been covered here...
because I skipped everything but Mario in the 8-bit era. ^_^;

I actually like the look of the beads a lot better than the pixel blocks. Any craft store, eh? Perhaps I'll check it out later.

After reading this thread, I had to represent the Turbografx. My first PixelBlocks creation:
bonk_smiley.jpg

Going to make the ship from Soldier Blade next and I've done the color conversion in the graphic below (I loose about 6 colors from the original). Big downside: the Soldier Blade ship will cost me about $80 :(

soldier_blade_pbconvert_compare.jpg

Pcenginefx said:
Going to make the ship from Soldier Blade next and I've done the color conversion in the graphic below (I loose about 6 colors from the original). Big downside: the Soldier Blade ship will cost me about $80 :(

soldier_blade_pbconvert_compare.jpg

so these blocks don't come in that purple color?

Because the blocks don't offer more than one shade of purple (sob), I had to change the colors used for the exhaust flame to a black/orange/yellow selection. It will be hard to do many later TurboGrafx sprites 1-for-1 due to the total system color pallet available (512).

Hero

So my 1200 piece set came in today. I decided to go with standing Mega Man since he was a big part of my early gaming childhood.

Ran out of blue/light blue/black. Need to go pick up some more of those tomorrow.

But yeah, they look crazy-awesome in person. The way the light shines through really adds an awesome effect. And the pegs facing you give it a nice retro feel too.

I can probably get three or four more figures from my kit. I'll probably use Mario for red.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Slavik81 said:
Which side should be the 'front'? The side with the peg sticking out or the hole?

If you want it to lie down, the pegs should face up, but it really doesn't matter.

HAOHMARU

Somebody should try making sprites from Metal Slug! (whoops, missed that pic above. What about the Metal Slug itself?)

Any SNK love out there? How about some Samurai Shodown characters???

Slavik81 said:
Which side should be the 'front'? The side with the peg sticking out or the hole?

The exhaust is to the bottom side in that image. I really don't like it as to make diagonal block designs they have to be connected to something so I'll probably reduce the exhaust by 1/2 to just the white/yellow/orange areas.

Top Bottom