• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix for the Wii U has got a complete overhaul - It's like a dream come true!

Pokemaniac

You couldn't resume playback before? Crazy.

It's not that you couldn't, per se. It was just that whether or not the app brought you back to the part where you left off or the beginning of the video depended on what kind of mood the server was in that day.

SalvaPot

Profile Updates are the hero we deserve.

Watching Gotham on Netflix right now, its surprisingly good! My favorite version of Penguin so far.

Kolma

Still no Wii Remote/Pro Controller support
*throws update in garbage*
I will continue to use chromecast for Netflix.

Kolma

I don't get it, where do I go to get the update? My Netflix is still shit and I see nothing to update it.

you just start it up. It will pop up that there's an update for you before the app starts.
If it doesn't there's nothing you can do but wait.

Sayter

If it's as good as the Netflix app on the 360 or PS4 then, combined with the gamepad, this makes it the best Netflix app of all 3 consoles IMO.

GRW810

Basically, here's the spiel of what's been changed in the overhaul:

• You can now select/create profiles now!
  • User interface has been completely overhauled, and is much more responsive.
  • Television episodes now auto-play! Huzzah!
  • You can also resume from where you've left off.

I'm still looking to see what other changes have been made, but this is a great start!
I swear this was possible when the Wii U was first released. I seem to remember returning to the Netflix app after time away and resuming from where I stopped previously. Then suddenly the option was gone and everything started from the beginning each time.

Or maybe I'm insane.

Boooo, you used to be able to add items to your queue and rate things directly from the regular menu, but now you have to click on a movie/show and rate/add things in a separate menu. What's with this obsession in programs and on the internet with requiring more clicks to do things you used to be able to do effortlessly before?

There also doesn't seem to be any way to access the search feature with the stylus. This update is basically "remember how we designed Netflix to take advantage of the features of the touchscreen? Hahah, screw you! But no Pro Controller support, SUCKERS!!!"

Kolma

Honestly if you aren't using it on the GamePad I don't know why you'd care. That's the whole appeal for me.

I would enjoy the one handed nature of it all. Same reason I don't use Netflix on other consoles.
Besides I wouldn't mind falling asleep on the couch watching Netflix and letting the Wii Remote fall on the floor. I have enough of those that if a cat got to it it wouldn't be the end of the world (Nintendo gives them away like candy)

corn_fest

Thank god there's finally profile support. I'm not even sure what it was doing before, just showing all profiles on the account added together? However it worked, it was terrible.

TI82

Banned
I don´t have a smartphone anymore, lol.

Uh oh, diggeh said hes gonna come in here and smack some sense into you!!!

200.gif

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It's nice to see some actual effort being put into the Wii U Netflix app. I'll have to check it out again.

Salva pls, return to the line group and tell us all about it
I can´t go back there, Diggeh will hit me.

Also my computer freezes every time someone shares an image...

I told diggeh to not touch you like that ever again Salva, and just use your phone!
I don´t have a smartphone anymore, lol.
Uh oh, diggeh said hes gonna come in here and smack some sense into you!!!

What are you goofs doing? This isn't AmiiboGAF. :p

Blues1990

I swear this was possible when the Wii U was first released. I seem to remember returning to the Netflix app after time away and resuming from where I stopped previously. Then suddenly the option was gone and everything started from the beginning each time.

Or maybe I'm insane.

From my experience, the feature had barely worked, and I'm glad that I can resume from the last time card.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh wow finally. I love being able to use Netflix on the Wii U but boy it was a bit of a chore.

Between that and Amazon probably is my primary use for the console now.

vanty

I would assume 5.1 surround sound is in, but I honestly don't know, since I don't have a sound system.
Wii U only does uncompressed surround sound and Netflix sure as hell isn't streaming that so it's stereo only. So no matter what the UI is it still has the worst version of Netflix unless you're watching something that doesn't have 5.1 to begin with.

sn0man

Can you use a Wii remote? Can you turn off the gamepad..

Good news. What about 5.1 ?

Boooo, you used to be able to add items to your queue and rate things directly from the regular menu, but now you have to click on a movie/show and rate/add things in a separate menu. What's with this obsession in programs and on the internet with requiring more clicks to do things you used to be able to do effortlessly before?

There also doesn't seem to be any way to access the search feature with the stylus. This update is basically "remember how we designed Netflix to take advantage of the features of the touchscreen? Hahah, screw you! But no Pro Controller support, SUCKERS!!!"

I suspect these oddities you are seeing is a doubling down on a common code base/UI repository. The proliferation of separating UI screens into multiple little sub-UI screens is to support smartphones and small form factor devices (at least I presume that is it over an affinity for more clicks). I also presume the removal of basically all the wiiU specific features is a return to the common single screen codepath.

tl;dr Good: we get feature parity with the other Netflix clients. Bad: we lose wiiU specific features we originally had. Ugly: we can't turn off the gamepad and use just a Wiimote or Protroller

jholmes

Looks like you can't decide whether or not it plays on the TV or gamepad anymore, it just plays on both.

Sort of surprising but I'm OK with that. It means some people will need to mute the sound on the pad so it doesn't interfere with the proper sound hooked up to the TV.

sn0man

Wii U only does uncompressed surround sound and Netflix sure as hell isn't streaming that so it's stereo only. So no matter what the UI is it still has the worst version of Netflix unless you're watching something that doesn't have 5.1 to begin with.

This makes sense from a licensing perspective as well as processing perspective but the following is conjecture:

1.) Nintendo didn't want to pay for Dolby/DTS (I understand it to be one reason there is no CD/DVD/Blu-ray support) (I don't think this is always true of Nintendo because IIRC at least some Wii games have Dolby-based simulated surround-encoded audio.)
2.) the WiiU’s processor is incapable (without a vested effort in writing a WiiU specific decoder) of decoding the Dolby/DTS 5.1 codecs

Regardless of reason I think for the 5.1 streaming fan a dedicated device (that is not a game console) might be better.

Looks like you can't decide whether or not it plays on the TV or gamepad anymore, it just plays on both.

As odd as that decision is, it's actually pretty neat if you want to watch something on TV at night and have the audio via the GamePad going through a pair of headphones or something.

Can you mirror the stream on both the TV and the GamePad simultaneously? So that if I have the GamePad in the kitchen, my girlfriend can see the show on the TV at the same time.

Pokemaniac

This makes sense from a licensing perspective as well as processing perspective but the following is conjecture:

1.) Nintendo didn't want to pay for Dolby/DTS (I understand it to be the reason there is no CD/DVD/Blu-ray support) (I don't think this is always true of Nintendo because IIRC at least some Wii games have Dolby-based simulated surround-encoded audio.)
2.) the WiiU’s processor is incapable (without a vested effort in writing a WiiU specific decoder) of decoding the Dolby/DTS 5.1 codecs

Regardless of reason I think for the 5.1 streaming fan a dedicated device (that is not a game console) might be better.

It's almost definitely number 1. I'd be really surprised if number 2 was at all a blocking issue.

Can you mirror the stream on both the TV and the GamePad simultaneously? So that if I have the GamePad in the kitchen, my girlfriend can see the show on the TV at the same time.

Yes you can

Edit: hmm it seems that's the only way to use it unless I'm missing something. It used to have the video info on the bottom screen...I can't recall if you could toggle it.

Pokemaniac

Not only can you do that now, you also can't not do it.

Even the original Wii had profiles.

I wonder why it took this long.

Low install base + custom UI = very low priority

Now that they're using the standard version of the app, the Wii U version will probably actually keep up with the others feature-wise.

DJ_Lae

You can now select/create profiles now!

It's about fucking time.

Now I can get rid of all the kids' shit that clutters up my profile from my kids watching Netflix on the WiiU.

I'd say maybe it'll lose connection less, but that's probably just the wonderful wifi chip in the console.

Top Bottom