• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix for the Wii U has got a complete overhaul - It's like a dream come true!

Red Devil

Were people really expecting support for Wii U Controller Pro or Wii Remote? None of the apps like YouTube or the others allow that either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, sounds like it was almost useless before. You couldn't even resume where you left off? Talk about a neglected version. But good that it's finally caught up to where other versions have been for years.

Kyou

man, using it a bit tonight, this basically works exactly like I wanted

I can even let it sit for 20 minutes and it doesnt crap out and lose connection to Netflix and make me restart the app. A brave new world.

Pokemaniac

Wow, sounds like it was almost useless before. You couldn't even resume where you left off? Talk about a neglected version. But good that it's finally caught up to where other versions have been for years.

It's not that you couldn't resume, it's just that the resume feature was so broken that it only worked half the time. It's not a huge distinction, but it made the whole situation far more frustrating.

As odd as that decision is, it's actually pretty neat if you want to watch something on TV at night and have the audio via the GamePad going through a pair of headphones or something.

I don't think you could before. I remember it would only use the gamepad audio if you were watching on the gamepad itself. I wonder if that's fixed, but I'm guessing with dual screens playing, it should.

Kyou

I don't think you could before. I remember it would only use the gamepad audio if you were watching on the gamepad itself. I wonder if that's fixed, but I'm guessing with dual screens playing, it should.

yeah they both output audio at the same time now

yeah they both output audio at the same time now
giphy.gif

qko

It's certainly up there, but the major bummer is that it can't play DVD's/Blu-Ray's.

Luckily I skipped Blu Rays and haven't bought a DVD in about 3 years. Would love an easier way to stream content from a computer DLNA style though.

Luckily I skipped Blu Rays and haven't bought a DVD in about 3 years. Would love an easier way to stream content from a computer DLNA style though.

Usendmii will let you stream MP4 files from a PC to your WiiU.

Also, I just fired up Netflix and it crashed a few minutes in.

Vash63

No surround sound still? Guess I'll keep using my PS4. Shame because the WiiU is more power efficient and the gamepad is awesome for interface.

sfried

No surround sound still? Guess I'll keep using my PS4. Shame because the WiiU is more power efficient and the gamepad is awesome for interface.
I thought Surround Sound was enabled through system settings, and was there provided you had the right setup for it (LPCM over HDMI).

Mael

Not only can you do that now, you also can't not do it.
That suck balls.
Awesome, now we need the ability to use the pro controller.

Are there that many people that broke their gamepad out there?
Seriously if you're thinking of using the pro controller, you're watching on tv already.
Unless you gamepad is a vector for Ebola it shouldn't be a problem to to use the pad before it drain the battery before you need to put it on its dock so that it's getting charged while you watch.
Seriously there's where is the usecase for not using the pad for wiiu's netflix app?

Son Of D

When did Netflix first integrate profiles? I know Wii U isn't doing too well but surprised it took even this long for the update.

RPGCrazied

Awesome news. I don't really need it, every device in my room like other consoles and dvd/bluray players can already do Netflix just fine. I guess now with the gamepad you could watch Netflix on the toilet. lol

JP

• You can now select/create profiles now!
  • Television episodes now auto-play! Huzzah!
  • You can also resume from where you've left off.
There was a version of Netflix that you couldn't do this stuff on? How the hell has it taken them so long to add this stuff. Profiles were introduced a couple of years ago on console and I really can't remember a time when the other two weren't available on console. Crazy stuff!!

They'll be adding "talkies" and stuff to the Wii U version next.

kunonabi

Were people really expecting support for Wii U Controller Pro or Wii Remote? None of the apps like YouTube or the others allow that either.

hulu and amazon can use the wii remote

edit: i'm so happy checking the internet no longer kicks you out of your movie.

Why? This every other console handles surround on Netflix just fine, just Nintendo being cheap as usual.
Wii U uses LPCM (Uncompressed), so is the best quality you can get for games. The problem is that Netflix uses Dolby for the surround sound and Nintendo dont have deals with Dolby or DTS for the Wii U.

Hit the minus button while you are watching any movie on Wii U Netflix and it will bring up small text in the left corner of the screen sadly saying "sound 2.0 channel", not only that but each movie or TV show will only say "HD" next to it, whereas all other devices that use Netflix usually have that 5.1 next to the HD. Other than the sound issue, I love Netflix on Wii U, it's great for everything else at least.

qko

Someone in the know told me that they didn't do this update before because of TVii.

I believe it, initially TVii let you search for a program/movie/episode and then it was able to turn on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and start streaming that episode after you selected it.

A redundant feature for some, but the idea was novel if TVii had not been slower than ice thawing in a freezer.

Cuburt

Finally! It needed this update so bad.

I love using Netflix on the Wii U more than any other device but the features it lacked that others apps had really began to hold it back.

Pokemaniac

Someone in the know told me that they didn't do this update before because of TVii.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just add the ability to add the ability to jump straight into an episode into their main app? Or was it actually due some sort of legal issue?

Though, to be honest, I thought the streaming service integration had actually been dropped from TVii a while ago.

sn0man

Why? This every other console handles surround on Netflix just fine, just Nintendo being cheap as usual.

You make a fair point and I only have a 360 at the moment so I can't speak for everyone but I just dislike the fan noise. A roku/appletv thingie seems much more interesting.

sn0man

Seriously there's where is the usecase for not using the pad for wiiu's netflix app?

Here are a few:

I would prefer not to worry about an expensive component of my game console being laid down or passed between myself and friends/family in a dimly lit room when everyone is focused on watching a flick. The Wiimote practically begs to be the input device.

I dislike wasting juice on a peripheral that I'm not actually using.

I find putting a gamepad on the end table next to me leads to a distracting video source in my peripheral vision.

Would it be terrible to ask for a patch that allowed an infrequently (unused) button to toggle gamepad screen output?

Colombo

I checked it out last night. It looks identical to the PS4 one now. I just wish you could scroll down using the touch screen rather than having to use the arrows that appear in a overlay.

I basically use all my consoles, my ipad and a bedroom TV for Netflixx and to me I don't have a preference. The Wii U and Ipad get used when I specifically don't want to use the TV!

Fisty

Glad for Wii U netflix users. I still think the one killer exclusive feature for netflix that Wii u has is Miiverse.

Now about that Vita update...

Van Owen

Banned
Eh, the old one that was custom for Wii U was better, aside from no profile support. I still wouldn't use Wii U as a Netflix machine though since there's better options out there.

Top Bottom