• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Proxy/VPN Discussion |OT| Discuss the use of Proxies and VPNs with Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagamorph

Never heard of Borderless Internet before but if Getflix does fail then I may give them a try.
The general package seems to be pretty good for even other stuff.

Does it work with devices other than PC? Ie PS4, Amazon Fire Stick, Android devices

Moozo

Anyone else surprised how far Netflix have gone with this? Didn't expect it to take this much to appease the studios given they were doing NOTHING until recently.

Anyone else surprised how far Netflix have gone with this? Didn't expect it to take this much to appease the studios given they were doing NOTHING until recently.

Maybe we shouldn't have laughed when they first announced it :(
It's like they're out to prove they can manage a total shutdown.

AxeMan

Yep. I thought no way they'd go this far. I'm about to cancel my NF subscription, that's how good they have done

Lagamorph

Majorly.

I honestly thought they'd make a few token efforts, just enough to say "Well, at least we tried" to the studios.

For Europe though, I think that the dream will be killed soon no matter what unblocking service you use. The EU are supposedly looking at making it a rule that streaming services like SkyGo and iPlayer (Just taking some UK examples) are available to you when you travel outside of your home country to elsewhere in Europe and that your home library is offered to you. Whilst for country specific services like Sky and BBC this could be a good move, it basically means that European Netflix accounts will have to become tied to their country of origin, so even if you do go to another European region, you still get the UK library.

El Topo

Maybe there were actual legal threats? It was not even an open secret. The (at the time) biggest German newssite Spiegel even published a guide on how to use a VPN to access Hulu/Netflix US years ago.

Bleepey

Maybe there were actual legal threats? It was not even an open secret. The (at the time) biggest German newssite Spiegel even published a guide on how to use a VPN to access Hulu/Netflix US years ago.

It got too ubiquitous. When it was a small open secret, it was best.

Ricitor

So Smartflix is officially dead and they refunding users. Will have to go and sort that out on PayPal.

Just started Getflix and is going great through US so far but I have one query. Excuse the ignorance with regards to this as I am not familiar, but Getflix (and Smart DNS in general) doesn't track any movement on my browser? It only kicks in on region blocked sites so no information outside of these streaming services are being sent through the DNS? Just want to make sure everything is clean as I don't like messing with DNS settings out of fear of data privacy.

jts

...hate me...
I know it costs money to fix these issues, but I can't help but feel these companies should charge only for the days the service is up in these struggle times.

I know they are generally cheap. But still it would be an incentive to stick with them, when we have 15 up days out of a month.

holygeesus

Banned
It's a fair point but they also unlock a lot of other content, which is still working. I use HBO Now which I can't access without a proxy, so they are still earning my 4 bux.

Lagamorph

Damn. My Hulu subscription has run out, but searching for "Hulu gift card" on eBay brings back zero results....I'm guessing they've been purged or something. Being in the UK the gift cards are pretty much the only way I can subscribe.

matt360

What's the latest with Getflix? It worked pretty well during my two week free trial, but that was about a month ago. Is it safe to sign up?

nicolajNN

Even if a DNS service is working, it won't work on PS4 right? They patched the PS4 app to use a hard coded DNS like the Chromecast?

Getflix seems to have stopped working for me. I'm not getting any errors from Netflix, but even though I have it properly configured (and get confirmation from their dashboard) I just can't change Netflix regions.

This sucks. :(

Fusebox

Banned
Getflix seems to have stopped working for me. I'm not getting any errors from Netflix, but even though I have it properly configured (and get confirmation from their dashboard) I just can't change Netflix regions.

This sucks. :(

I thought they got rid of all regions except the US.

Yaska

note that the website might work even if the mobile apps don't. I noticed that on android the app uses location services to check your location. Disabled location services and got my bypass working again. Haven't found a trick that works for the iOS. The same bypass works constantly on my laptop though.

jts

...hate me...
But isn't Getflix only browser based? It did not work for me on the Surface app and neither Xbox One.
No, not really.

Getflix is a DNS service. In theory it will work on any device with a customizable DNS field in its connection settings.

Just follow the setup instructions in the website and it should work with those. If the service is operational.

No, not really.

Getflix is a DNS service. In theory it will work on any device with a customizable DNS field in its connection settings.

Just follow the setup instructions in the website and it should work with those. If the service is operational.

Oh damn, that makes it tempting for me again so i can easily watch it either on my TV or Xbox.

Oh nevermind.

Just tried SmartDNS and i used the two USA DNS numbers on my Xbox One, Netflix shows the error about using a proxy/unblocker right away.

People are lucky as hell if it works for them!

So except for browser based i won't be able to use this for my console at all it seems? What a damn shame. USA Netflix has a lot more than Dutch Netflix.

Gorger

I've been subbing to Netflix since it came to Norway, but no more. I canceled my sub recently. The Norwegian Netflix library is a joke and I've finished everything interesting on it years ago. Almost every show I want to watch is incomplete or lacking seasons, and it's full of boring Scandinavian crap while English subtitles is missing for a most of its content. Sacking Smartflix was my last straw. It was a great program I had no problems paying an extra fee for.

Fortunately I just discovered Kodi which is like the best thing ever once you learn how it works.

Getflix doesn't work very well with an Xbox One:
https://getflix.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208591276-Netflix-Update-XBOX

Need to use Xbox 360 or PC or something.

Yeah that's a no go for me then. Xbox One is the only connected console to my tv right now. I googled some of this and i found a site that said only two things really worked so far and one was called Unlocator and Expressvpn or something, but both require changing DNS on Xbox One and that only gives me the Netflix error.

https://thevpn.guru/unblock-us-netflix-proxy-error-fix-vpn-alternative-watch-usa-uk-canada

A damn shame though,because i CAN see all the extra stuff Crunchyroll has on offer. But it's too much of a hassle to constantly change that for when i want to use Netfix.

I could always buy a Chromecast and stream the Netflix (Browser on my Surface Pro) to my TV, right?

I could try using these DNS numbers on the LG TV Netflix app, but i doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom