• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix PS4 app finally has HDR support!

DieH@rd

Banned
Can Pro's netflix app cache 4K HDR movies/TV shows on local hard drive?

[I only have 13mbit downstream internet connection :-/ ]

mcrommert

Banned
Still no 24p support though so it won't get any use from me. Meanwhile my LG OLED and Samsung UHD Blu-Ray both support native 24p on Netflix perfectly with automatic framerate switching - in addition to HDR (and Dolby Vision too using the TV). Catch up Sony.

Oh man... Seriously?

Now I'm sad because I didn't even know they supported this anywhere

Any good shows to test 4K hdr on?

Hibana spark is easy up there for me. It's set in a small japanese town and the visuals are fucking insane. It's so colorful.

There's also an animated short called something dream (can't remember name) it's a visual treat. You can just search hdr in the app to pull up all of the content.

Seems pretty pointless since every HDR capable 4k TV already has built in Netflix, Amazon, etc with 4k + HDR since their inception. And my TV is much quieter than the PS4 Pro ;p. Well I guess long term it is a win for when TV manufacturers stop updating their Netflix apps.

I get a much better signal through my pro than my native tv as far as streaming speed. When you're talking 4k streaming its a big deal.

Kuosi

I mean, good, sure, but... are here any HDR-capable 4K TVs without a 4K/HDR Netflix app...?

Seems kinda pointless to use these apps on consoles (or any additional device you have to turn on for it) at all with the new gen of Smart TVs.

yeh there are older 4k tv's with hdr that dont play hdr on netflix/hbo and even more so youtube, not sure have the samsung 2015 models gotten updates recently, they were unable at the start of the year at least

Orayn

This is as of 1.29 right? That's the most recent update I got.

normal content looks dark as fuuuuuuck

You should be using separate settings for HDR and SDR content if possible. On my KS8000 the biggest differences are backlight level and turning Smart LED on/off.

ItIsOkBro

This is as of 1.29 right? That's the most recent update I got.

You should be using separate settings for HDR and SDR content if possible. On my KS8000 the biggest differences are backlight level and turning Smart LED on/off.
the netflix app should be smarter tbh

WolfRathmA

On my PS4 Pro, when i'm opening Netflix app, it's always enabled the HDR. Either for movies that don't support it. I have to turn off the HDR from the PS4 setting in order to watch non HDR content.

Why this is happening?

Wiped89

On my PS4 Pro, when i'm opening Netflix app, it's always enabled the HDR. Either for movies that don't support it. I have to turn off the HDR from the PS4 setting in order to watch non HDR content.

Why this is happening?

Same here. Just have to disable HDR in your PS4 settings.

Annoying tbh. But I still find the PS4 Netflix image quality superior to my TV's built in app, so I put up with it.

SOLDIER

Annoying tbh. But I still find the PS4 Netflix image quality superior to my TV's built in app, so I put up with it.

Is this seriously the only fix right now? Are there no plans for them to fix this?

Freaking Netflix app even got an update last week, but this HDR problem is still a thing.

Wiped89

Is this seriously the only fix right now? Are there no plans for them to fix this?

Freaking Netflix app even got an update last week, but this HDR problem is still a thing.

It's been the same (broken) way on the Xbox One S Netflix app for a year now, so don't get your hopes up that they'll fix it.

At least enabling and disabling HDR on PS4 is as simple as ticking and unticking one box in the settings.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Is this really true for you other guys?

Top Bottom