• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix pulls episode of kid's TV show after parent discovers NSFW content

Zee-Row

Banned
My takeaway from this thread is surprise that there's a new Maya the Bee. I don't remember that being a particularly popular or nostalgic show.

We used to make fun of it by changing the lyrics. "See her flying through the grass, with a stinger on her ass, MAYA, Maya the bee!"

I remember that more than any characters or anything that actually happened on the show.

Lol gotta love those Saban lyrics

Acorn

And from a cultural shock point of view, this would be equivalent to...probably having a person hanging in the background of a kids show. And I don't think anybody in America would find that acceptable either.

Then what was the point of the post? It was like you were mocking somebody who hasn't even said anything.
Mocking the general outcry that follows nonsense about kids maybe seeing anything remotely sexual.

I'll make sure to run it by you next time though.

Dishwalla

Banned
I don't even know what the hell Maya the Bee is, I feel old seeing some others saying they watched it as kids.

I was all about David the Gnome when I was a kid.

And from a cultural shock point of view, this would be equivalent to...probably having a person hanging in the background of a kids show. And I don't think anybody in America would find that acceptable either.

Then what was the point of the post? It was like you were mocking somebody who hasn't even said anything.
Did you just compare a hanging, a disturbing act that ends a life, to a penis... which a lot of people on this planet have and is perfectly natural?

VanWinkle

Mocking the general outcry that follows nonsense about kids maybe seeing anything remotely sexual.

I'll make sure to run it by you next time though.

That's all I ask. Thank you.

Did you just compare a hanging, a disturbing act that ends a life, to a penis... which a lot of people on this planet have and is perfectly natural?

I said cultural shock. It would be just as shocking to see THIS in an American kids show as it would be to see a person hanging in the background of an [animated] European kids show. Although I should have thought of a better analogy, since hanging is not really a "violent" thing necessarily, and the main point I was trying to make to him is that realistic violence is not seen as acceptable in an American kids show, just as this drawing is certainly not acceptable (and I wouldn't think it would be acceptable in a European kids show either).

Reversed

I only see an homage to peppa pig.

3c62ac1f75dd70e11a51433412692832--peppa-pig-birthday-cake-peppa-pig-cakes.jpg

I don't even know what the hell Maya the Bee is, I feel old seeing some others saying they watched it as kids.

Maya the Bee was originally a show from the 80's I think. Aired around the same time as David. The license was acquired a few years back by a Belgian company, and they've remade it along with several other old school cartoons like Wickie the viking and Heidi.

I guess they just don't care to deny this, but then I don't think it's a huge problem anyway.

Zee-Row

Banned

I was watching Maya the Bee along with David the Gnome , Littl' Bits , Noozles , Grimms fairy tale classics and Eurekas Castle during the early days of Nick Jr when I was in Kindergarten.

Monocle

Oh nooooooooo, think of the zero children who would have identified phallic imagery in the background of their show.

Penises are bad because sex is bad and dirty and the human body is disgusting. I am aghast.

hollomat

Banned
Of course they're gonna know what intercourse is by the time they reach 4th grade.

They got the discovery channel don't they?

eso76

Holy crap, most European countries would be okay with that? That just seems bizarre to me.

No one would approve, of course, but there wouldn't be outraged moms crusading on social networks to protect their kids, maybe.

But then it's a quite a crude, vulgar representation, the kind of graffiti dick you find in dirty public toilets..
For me it's not the penis itself as much as the fact someone thought of sneaking one in a cartoon for kids; that's weird and twisted.

v0yce

You guys could maybe direct at least a little criticism toward the looser artists who thought it be super cool to put a penis in the background of a kids show.

Maybe instead of tripping over each other to make another clever "think of the children" remark, try to have a tiny bit of perspective?

eso76

We used to make fun of it by changing the lyrics. "See her flying through the grass, with a stinger on her ass, MAYA, Maya the bee!"

I remember that more than any characters or anything that actually happened on the show.

Weird, in my country we also changed the lyrics to something that roughly translates to "flies, flies, flies the bee Maya. Puts a finger in her ass and goes 'Ahia!' (equivalent of English 'ouch!' and pronounced Aya).

Apparently kids were much worse than whoever drew the penis.

snap

Banned
You guys could maybe direct at least a little criticism toward the looser artists who thought it be super cool to put a penis in the background of a kids show.

Maybe instead of tripping over each other to make another clever "think of the children" remark, try to have a tiny bit of perspective?

it's far more likely that someone drew it as a joke to be passed around the office (there are tons of stories of these happening for every kid's cartoon, one of the rugrats ones leaked out and is quite vulgar) and it accidentally ended up used as an art asset for an object in this 3D-rendered cartoon without anyone noticing.

v0yce

it's far more likely that someone drew it as a joke to be passed around the office (there are tons of stories of these happening for every kid's cartoon, one of the rugrats ones leaked out and is quite vulgar) and it accidentally ended up used as an art asset for an object in this 3D-rendered cartoon without anyone noticing.

A. That's not what the studio apparently thinks

B. Why would putting a hard to see penis sketch on a random background object be a joke to pass around the office?

C. Why would a professional artists who thinks middle school penis jokes are still funny, accidentally putting this in there change anything?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Imagine if someone took their perfectly natural cock out at a playground. Do you see how that might be a problem?

VanWinkle

Like, for all of the threads for someone to wax on about the prudish nature of American culture, this is a VERY weird thread to be making that point.

Cuburt

People are seriously trying to equate lines in a trunk that vague look like a penis (or would only look like that to adults) to someone whipping out their dick at in a playground??

We need some serious perspective in this thread.

oh man

do I have to think this is irresponsible and disgusting?

because I'll do it if I gotta but I'm really trying not to think it's great and hilarious

KDR_11k

At first I was thinking this was about the original hand drawn one, if that went unnoticed all those decades it would be even stranger.

Of course they're gonna know what intercourse is by the time they reach 4th grade.

They got the discovery channel don't they?

Maya The Bee is more of a Kindergarten to at most 2nd grade thing.

Ruflux

Neo Member
Those are pretty strong for tv.

I've seen scenes of that show and I'd say those are still pretty tame considering all the other stuff the show has done.

In fact I too was actually kind of expecting this to be about Wakfu because it'd sure fit the bill, kind of.

Ehm... what? No, this is not the same as someone hanging in the background. It's a crude drawing of a penis that none of the kids have probably even noticed. It shouldn't be there, but it is also nothing to be very concerned by.

Top Bottom