• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NetherRealm producer quits twitter after threats to family

bomblord1

Banned
Privacy?
I hate when people use this as an excuse.
For the greater good, you have to sacrifice some information about yourself.

And let's be honest, majority of the people open their social media account to public anyway.
They don't care about privacy.
I can find a random person, and pretend to be them
I can go to FB right now, and 'steal' random pictures and create a life that mirrors the real person and send friend request to their real friend.
Privacy is dead in the social media world.

Everyone has a right to privacy regardless of it someone considers it dead. If it's dead it means we need to fix it not abandon it.

Fury451

Banned
Everybody should quit using something because 0.00001% of its users are bad.

How progressive!
Or maybe Twitter should finally do something about this so people wouldn't have to quit using it due to harassment and threats.

That would be progressive.

cormack12

Gold Member
Thing is, if you close an account, another one will pop up. The real debate is how to properly criminalise certain online behaviour and what form of punishment is suitable.

LiK

Thing is, if you close an account, another one will pop up. The real debate is how to properly criminalise certain online behaviour and what form of punishment is suitable.

yep, Schilling did it best by going after the guys IRL.

I say call out all of the cowards and losers who post garbage like this about people or their families. Make sure everybody knows what these cowards are about. They'll post this garbage but as soon as they get pointed out they close their accounts and run for the hills.

Tigress

Everybody should quit using something because 0.00001% of its users are bad.

How progressive!

No, they should quit using it because Twitter refuses to do anything to moderate its users. If twitter wants to keep users, it should make sure it doesn't have a hostile space to use. If they don't do that, yes, stop using them.

Twitter is a company out to make money and the users are how it makes money. It's quite fair to say stop using their service (and providing them the stuff they need to make money) if they refuse to keep the atmosphere from being hostile.

Twitter is behind the game.
I believe China, Korea, and JP require you to use their country SSN or cellphone # to create a fricken social/online account.

I don't know why Twitter isn't doing this as well to stop the harassment.
The CEO and CTO are acting like outdated adults.

This is not the answer. And hell no I would not be giving twitter or any online service my SSN for hackers to go get. Do you realize how much a hacker can do if they get your SSN?! Neither do I want them to have my cellphone for hackers to get to be able to just call me and harass me directly through the phone (I make it a point to try to keep my number off the internet). On top of that, there are good reasons for people to want to be anonymous on the internet as well. (abusive spouses/exes that they are trying to avoid letting know where they are, governments they have to worry about finding out who just said something bad about the government...).

Nor do I think making people use their real name is the answer too. People are going to be jerks not because you know their real name (after all, it's still just a name to a random stranger) but because they feel disconnected and aren't dealing with you directly/face to face.

The answer is twitter should have better tools for users to report/block people and take reports of harassment seriously.

I don't understand what is there to debate. Intimidation is a crime anywhere, saying it yourself or through virtual text shouldn't change a thing.

fedexpeon

Banned
Everyone has a right to privacy regardless of it someone considers it dead. If it's dead it just means we need stronger protection.

If you cater to everyone, you will not get anything done.
But alright, Twitter/FB can cater to insane people and reject their target audience and money stream.

This is a business, personal privacy doesn't apply when you sign up for a service.
And what is privacy anyway? These information are internally stored for Twitter account system....you aren't sharing anything with anyone.

Do you share your SSN or account number when you signed up for a bank account?

dab0ne

CBErWrjWAAAqJ4N.jpg:large

Wow.
People are so fucking crazy. How in the hell would you explain this to your mom or grandma. How would you explain this to your child when they're 14 and a friend stumbles over it? Shit like this is why I stay away from social media.

bomblord1

Banned
But alright, Twitter/FB can cater to insane people and reject their target audience and money stream.

This is a business, personal privacy doesn't apply when you sign up for a service.

Didn't say they need to cater to insane people but violating personal privacy is not a solution. Also, yes personal privacy should be expected to be upheld when you sign up for a service within reason. There's a debate to be had on whether social media should be considered "public" or if your FB post should be considered the same as publicly displaying the same info but that's a different problem.

Not surprised. This is the gaming community after all.

It's the worst among the rest.
Ugh I hate when people say this. Are you really trying to tell me other communities don't deal with this. Ps they do just look at any person from The Young Turks or any film director.

Twitter is garbage.

Nobody should waste their time on it.

Same with the comment sections under every news article and blog piece on the internet.

All discussions should be on web forums like this one - so the mods can IP ban anyone who makes threats, in addition to sending their IP addresses to the FBI.

Deft Beck

Shame smh.

What gaming companies/studios need to do is use social media purely as a news feed (one way communication) and if fans want to interact with staff, direct them towards the companies/developers own moderated forums where they don't have to take that kind of nonsense. Also, take a page from NeoGAF's book and make it hard as shit to get an account so they'll weed out some of the trolls and the rest that do get through will be on their best behavior.

That would be a reductive plan of action. Making it difficult to say something to a developer or publisher would make it harder for the two sides to communicate. A dev/publisher moderated forum could ban a topic for discussion altogether (I know NeoGAF does this with certain games already).

cormack12

Gold Member
Why not what neogaf does with paid service email accounts?

I once thought that using people's ISP accounts would act as a deterrent. It certainly ties a 'real life' person to a user account, but other people made the point that youtube comments are some of the vilest, and facebook - and these have 'real people' attached to them. It was a fair point.

Also, I think some of these people like the infamity rather than actually being 'racists', 'bigots' or 'anti-Semitics'. Inflammatory or 'taboo' language acts as some sort of boundary for millions of people wanting to be heard. The easiest way is to cross those boundaries - idiotically I might add - so you get noticed, albeit for the vile/wrong thing.

It's a very difficult area to police and legislate. I do believe we need something more than 'frontier law', but I am also against censorship and believe in free specch. Honestly, it will take quite intelligent and measured people to come up with a fair solution.

fedexpeon

Banned
Didn't say they need to cater to insane people but violating personal privacy is not a solution. Also, yes personal privacy should be expected to be upheld when you sign up for a service within reason. There's a debate to be had on whether social media should be considered "public" or if your FB post should be considered the same as publicly displaying the same info but that's another debate.

I think we are disconnected on the term personal privacy here.
You aren't sharing this information to anyone but the company.
Your cellphone, bank, medical...you are sharing your personal history/information yet no one cares because it is protected for your privacy.

You sign up for a service, you better provide your information.
The more the better to create a unique profile for each user so the state/government can act faster if there is a cyber crime or homeland terrorism threat.

If we criminalized empty threats like that frequently posted twitter comment then over half of the gaming population would be spending time in jail.

Problem is people have casualized harrasment/vulgarity down to the point where it is essentially small talk to them and forget that other people don't see it the same way.

Some Nobody

Murder threats? All I see is a tweet of one asshole who probably thinks he's being funny. But the guy felt threatened so he quit twitter over this and that's a shame. Hate it when fans shut down an avenue for people to talk to creative.

Like facebook, twitter is useless. No idea why its so popular, but it does tend to attract weirdos and crazy people, not to mention people saying dumb stuff only to get fired from their job. Its pretty sad.
Nah, Twitter is great. Chat with devs, follow game development. If you have a blog or site, great way to build an audience

Honestly until the whole #GG nonense last year, I had no idea about the bad sides of Twitter and Reddit. I had never encountered them during my time on social media

danmaku

If we criminalized empty threats like that frequently posted twitter comment then over half of the gaming population would be spending time in jail.

Problem is people have casualized harrasment/vulgarity down to the point where it is essentially small talk to them and forget that other people don't see it the same way.

Yup. If the same threat would've been sent through XBL or PSN we would be laughing at it. Gamers think sending death and rape threats is totally normal, so they go to Twitter and do the same.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why not what neogaf does with paid service email accounts?

a) Doesn't really work, especially not at that scale (increasingly doesn't work here, at this scale)

b) Poses an extreme threat to the ability of people in developing countries to be able to communicate--one of the things that made Twitter popular was its wonderful protest qualities.

bomblord1

Banned
I think we are disconnected on the term personal privacy here.
You aren't sharing this information to anyone but the company.
Your cellphone, bank, medical...you are sharing your personal history/information yet no one cares because it is protected for your privacy.

You sign up for a service, you better provide your information.
The more the better to create a unique profile for each user so the state/government can act faster if there is a cyber crime or homeland terrorism threat.

It seems we are I apologize. I was under the impression you were referring to making personal info public to try to mitigate negative comments

Mugatu

As a normal person, i see no need to use Twitter and if I was a somebody I would stay the hell away from it - no idea why anyone other than trolls would use it.

As a normal person, i see no need to use Twitter and if I was a somebody I would stay the hell away from it - no idea why anyone other than trolls would use it.
If you're into indie games, it's a great way to talk with devs, learn about games in development, etc.

Mugatu

If you're into indie games, it's a great way to talk with devs, learn about games in development, etc.

Hmm, never thought much about that - I sut think it invites too many nutjobs but I guess you could say that about the entire Internet. Still, Twitter does seem to be really bad for this.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It's an incredibly useful service. You get news the instant it happens. I'm sure TONS of people don't ever tweet and just follow a bunch of journos or celebs.

Some people suck.

Basically what I can sum this up with.

Twitter isn't inherently a shitty platform, like some have said in this thread. There will always be crappy individuals that abuse something the wrong way. That said this shit is pretty dumb.

ArjanN

Yup. If the same threat would've been sent through XBL or PSN we would be laughing at it. Gamers think sending death and rape threats is totally normal, so they go to Twitter and do the same.

Nah, that's not specific to gamers at all.

The discussion about every single other subject online has just as many trolls and people shittalking as gaming.

Basically what I can sum this up with.

Twitter isn't inherently a shitty platform, like some have said in this thread. There will always be crappy individuals that abuse something the wrong way. That said this shit is pretty dumb.

Pretty much.

stuminus3

Here's an example - if I'm on a train and it runs into delays, I can quite easily open Twitter and get a ton of information from other people traveling on the same line about what's going on, what caused the delay and what kind of impact it's having.

ShinMaruku

Who ever thinks fixing this issue on twitter would be easy has no idea how hard ti would be to fix a complex social problem. The real issue is some people are shitty people and they get their jollies off getting people mad on twitter. However some of those people have some issues in their life and they use this to 'self medicate' if you will.

Now of course that's a terrible course of action but it is what it is. I think if some of the social issues were not swept under the rung and things got addressed a huge chuck of this abuse would be gone. THEN when you have the real sickos, that's when you legally deal with them. Because there will be much less of them and it will be easier to get to them.

Some people just see it as trolls, I see it as some people finally see society has been fucking them and are lashing out in self destructive ways.

Kiru

Kinda offtopic, but recently I can't see embedded tweets on sites like the mcv article in firefox. In chrome it works fine, has nothing to do with adblock. Anyone else experiencing this ? I just see the blue borders like this:
wlgafz.PNG

Hmm, never thought much about that - I sut think it invites too many nutjobs but I guess you could say that about the entire Internet. Still, Twitter does seem to be really bad for this.
Yeah, there is a ton of awesome game dev related stuff on Twitter. Indie Dev Hour, Screenshot Saturday. Spreading the word on Kickstarters and game jams. New devs building an audience and networking with other devs and sites

I have a game blog so it's extremely useful. I can instantly reach out to devs, follow them, etc

bomblord1

Banned
Kinda offtopic, but recently I can't see embedded tweets on sites like the mcv article in firefox. In chrome it works fine, has nothing to do with adblock. Anyone else experiencing this ? I just see the blue borders like this:
wlgafz.PNG

Works for me Windows: Firefox version 36.0.4

Try clearing your cache.

Ponn

Banned
People are so fucking crazy. How in the hell would you explain this to your mom or grandma. How would you explain this to your child when they're 14 and a friend stumbles over it? Shit like this is why I stay away from social media.

I think we have the answer here. Anyone with a social media account is required to have it linked to their Mom/Grandma/Auntie Em's accounts and everything retweeted/posted to their walls.

ShinMaruku

I will also use this to point to the fact that developers need to make the propaganda people
That's what PR is, it's just renamed
allow them to better ways to speak to the fans, the old press release and these horribly telegraphed announcements of announcements need to burn in hell.

Gah, what the fuck. Just... why do people use Twitter? Seriously. Especially famous people. The abuse sounds like a nightmare.

Plus, fuck trying to communicate interesting/worthwhile concepts in <140 characters.

Hip Hop

Like facebook, twitter is useless. No idea why its so popular, but it does tend to attract weirdos and crazy people, not to mention people saying dumb stuff only to get fired from their job. Its pretty sad.

It really isn't. Aside from the asshats that are there (like any online place that offers to be anynomous), it's actually one of the greatest tools of our time. You saying Twitter saying is useless lets me know you haven't really used it.

Still, I hope they do something about this but I can imagine how hard it would be to monitor millions of accounts. Not saying this is a great alternative, but there are things like "blocking" people from your account.

Hexa

And what is privacy anyway? These information are internally stored for Twitter account system....you aren't sharing anything with anyone.

Do you share your SSN or account number when you signed up for a bank account?

There is no way in hell requiring SSN for registration would fly. People aren't going to trust a microblogging site with something that important. They would destroy their userbase if they did so. And another site would just come into being that's essentially Twitter but doesn't require that info and a vast portion of users would migrate to it. Especially from gaming or other more niche communities I would expect.

ShinMaruku

It's a tool and like all tools humans will abuse it. So I won't call it useless but you need a specific objective to use it properly.

DryvBy

I wish Twitter would do something about all the abusers. I'd love to see a story where someone gets arrested for threat on Twitter.

I guess it would depend on states or countries. I've lived in 4 states and all of them don't really arrest for threats unless it's a domestic dispute or something else. For example in this current state I'm living, my old neighbor got drunk and said he was going to come over and slash my tires and beat my brother up. Nothing was done because he didn't attempt anything. Really weird idea but I guess it's always a their word versus yours.

Twitter is different since there's actual paper trail but I dunno. I bet a lot of people doing this are hidden via proxies, VPNs, and whatever else.

Top Bottom