• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NetherRealm producer quits twitter after threats to family

ArjanN

Gah, what the fuck. Just... why do people use Twitter? Seriously. Especially famous people. The abuse sounds like a nightmare.

Plus, fuck trying to communicate interesting/worthwhile concepts in <140 characters.

It's very useful to advertise stuff.

You do need thick skin though, honestly I wouldn't take something like this:
CBErWrjWAAAqJ4N.jpg:large

any more seriously than a 4 year old making fart noises, but ymmv.

alstein

Gesh, that's some sad shit. What the hell is this world coming to man.

This stuff has always happened. I've heard stories from some devs about actionable threats back in the 90s.

Twitter just makes it easier to send threats.

Ultimately, Twitter's not going to do anything that would be effective, because the only effective things would degrade the service for legitimate new users too much, or require too many resources for it to be profitable.

There's also a legit concern that organized harassment campaigns can use harassment tools for nefarious purposes.

I hope Twitter is around for a long time. I love using it and I love just reading everything from people I follow. I just wish they would do something about people like this. It's such bullshit how they let people do this type of crap.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
For real though, there is a legitimate market opportunity for a Twitter clone that does have the type of filters that have been proposed to Twitter time and time again.

Gah, what the fuck. Just... why do people use Twitter? Seriously. Especially famous people. The abuse sounds like a nightmare.

Plus, fuck trying to communicate interesting/worthwhile concepts in <140 characters.
Happens all the time. One of the best sources on the entire internet to learn about games before any site, before GAF, is Twitter.

Take a look:
http://www.screenshotsaturday.com
Devs share their progress and new interesting concepts every week

Nyoro SF

For real though, there is a legitimate market opportunity for a Twitter clone that does have the type of filters that have been proposed to Twitter time and time again.

In the year 2015, people still believe "filters" will stop abuse...
There are multiple ways to threaten people without overtly doing so in any way that can be caught by a filter.
All you can do is purge the offending account and move on.

alstein

It would fail. Most people would not put up with the hoops. It's only a tiny minority that would care, and it's not enough to make a service reach the critical mass required to succeed.

Swarna

More power to him but I don't think he had as much thick skin as he thought he did. Internet harassment is very common and if stuff like that black guy's tweet upsets him I guess he isn't cut out for a twitter account. I would lol at tweets like that.

DryvBy

More power to him but I don't think he had as much thick skin as he thought he did. Internet harassment is very common and if stuff like that black guy's tweet upsets him I guess he isn't cut out for a twitter account. I would lol at tweets like that.

Hideki Kamiya handles everything the best. RT and then write "Blocked.". I think it's pretty effective.

At least the Twitter CEO seems aware and ashamed of what is allowed.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/twit...-sucks-at-dealing-with-abusive-trolls/0144769

“We suck at dealing with abuse and trolls on the platform and we've sucked at it for years,” Dick Costolo said, as reported by The Verge. “It's no secret and the rest of the world talks about it every day. We lose core user after core user by not addressing simple trolling issues that they face every day.

“I'm frankly ashamed of how poorly we've dealt with this issue during my tenure as CEO. It's absurd. There's no excuse for it. I take full responsibility for not being more aggressive on this front. It's nobody else's fault but mine, and it's embarrassing.

“We're going to start kicking these people off right and left and making sure that when they issue their ridiculous attacks, nobody hears them. Everybody on the leadership team knows this is vital.

“So now we're going to fix it, and I'm going to take full responsibility for making sure that the people working night and day on this have the resources they need to address the issue, that there are clear lines of responsibility and accountability, and that we don't equivocate in our decisions and choices.”

Allow me to tabloidise that for you;

"We suck"
-Dick

BPoole

Twitter is out of control. People that do this need to be cracked down on and made an example of to hopefully deter people from doing it to the extent it is at now

Mesoian

There are multiple ways to threaten people without overtly doing so in any way that can be caught by a filter.

Right. What needs to happen is making new accounts more difficult to simply create out of thin air, so trolling becomes 100x more difficult. Tie an account to a phone number, have a 72 waiting period before you can post, have a ghost banned status where repeat offenders stop broadcasting out to other people but aren't told that they're banned.

There are 101 things that twitter could do TODAY to curb 75% of abuse on their service, but they simply don't want to.

Is there a report function on Twitter?

Crazy..
There is. Currently there are two possible outcomes.

1. Twitter will find the tweet to not have violated any rules, in which case the abusive individual continues being abusive.
2. Twitter temporarily or permanently suspends the account. The abusive individual returns after X hours or creates a new account and continues being abusive.

In recent months Twitter has finally started looking for ways to be less garbage.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/23/twitter-quality-filter/

alstein

Twitter is out of control. People that do this need to be cracked down on and made an example of to hopefully deter people from doing it to the extent it is at now

Ok, how do you do this without taking away the ability of folks in other countries on Twitter to report corruption?
Gotta remember that if you start attaching tweets to names, countries like China, Turkey, Egypt and Iran will get that info as well and use it on their own citizens.

Why not what neogaf does with paid service email accounts?

Worked around if needbe, and would piss off too many legitimate users.

drotahorror

I don't understand why Twitter uses aren't sought after for making threats and whatnot but if you say something on facebook you're facing prison time, ie League of Legends kid talking about children in schools.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

The filters I've heard people propose wouldn't stop all abuse but it would be better than your scenario where the same person just makes another account and continues the onslaught. I can't remember the exact proposals, but they were aimed at stopping completely new accounts or accounts below a certain threshold of Tweets or followers from communicating with the person being harassed.

I wish I had the exact list, because I'm not properly conveying it here, but basically the added effort people would have to go through to get a new account vetted would probably dissuade a lot of the high volume low effort abuse. Sure there would still be people dedicated enough to keep up the abuse but that could also signal which of the threats should be taken more seriously.

RiZ III

I recall Peter Moore being sent similar tweets and when he complained to twitter they just said, we see nothing wrong here. Ridiculous.

NZOO

Banned
I just have to laugh at the comments because Ed Boon gets heat all the time on twitter but and good rebuttals to shut people up.

BiggNife

You do need thick skin though, honestly I wouldn't take something like this:
CBErWrjWAAAqJ4N.jpg:large

any more seriously than a 4 year old making fart noises, but ymmv.
Sorry, but I've never agreed with this argument.

A rape threat is a rape threat. How do you know which ones are just "jokes" and which ones are serious? You don't. I don't think you can just dismiss these things, because what if someone actually acts on it? There are stories of gamergaters attempting to drive to developers' houses and/or stalking their place of work. It's a serious thing.

PtM

Banned
I recall Peter Moore being sent similar tweets and when he complained to twitter they just said, we see nothing wrong here. Ridiculous.
Moore got the third-person "I wish someone would do things to you" treatment. So no threats there…

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Looking further into it, they have made some sort of quality filter that launched just six days ago, but I don't know what it entails.

I don't understand why Twitter uses aren't sought after for making threats and whatnot but if you say something on facebook you're facing prison time, ie League of Legends kid talking about children in schools.
In the UK, they are. Plenty of cases of people being arrested or losing their jobs because of their Twitter.

At least the Twitter CEO seems aware and ashamed of what is allowed.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/twit...-sucks-at-dealing-with-abusive-trolls/0144769

“We suck at dealing with abuse and trolls on the platform and we've sucked at it for years,” Dick Costolo said, as reported by The Verge. “It's no secret and the rest of the world talks about it every day. We lose core user after core user by not addressing simple trolling issues that they face every day.

“I'm frankly ashamed of how poorly we've dealt with this issue during my tenure as CEO. It's absurd. There's no excuse for it. I take full responsibility for not being more aggressive on this front. It's nobody else's fault but mine, and it's embarrassing.

“We're going to start kicking these people off right and left and making sure that when they issue their ridiculous attacks, nobody hears them. Everybody on the leadership team knows this is vital.

“So now we're going to fix it, and I'm going to take full responsibility for making sure that the people working night and day on this have the resources they need to address the issue, that there are clear lines of responsibility and accountability, and that we don't equivocate in our decisions and choices.”
Dick Costolo said:
We’ve always taken it seriously. We’ve drawn a line on what constitutes harassment and abuse.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/01/magazine/dick-costolo-thinks-its-ok-to-never-tweet.html
Popped up in my timeline right after this tweet.

Their sloppy enforcement is half the problem. The other half would be abusive individuals creating new accounts ad nauseam. They need to be introduced to consequences. If not legal, then the kind of things Mesoian mentioned. That's what makes the moderation here on GAF work.

Grief.exe

Not surprised. This is the gaming community after all.

It's the worst among the rest.

It's just the internet in general.

Video games are just the newest, and fastest growing, medium so the media chose the low hanging fruit.

Go peruse the comments on a random YouTube video or 4chan thread and you will see what I'm referring to.

faridmon

Ugh I hate when people say this. Are you really trying to tell me other communities don't deal with this. Ps they do just look at any person from The Young Turks or any film director.

I have been using facebook and Twitter to interact with 100s bands and artist and I have never came across this level of harassment videogame personnel suffer through.

If you don't think the Videogame community is a poisonous well and is worse than other communities out there, then you should get your head out of the sand.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
And here comes the Get a Thicker Skin Brigade to look down on someone who is getting threats to themselves and their family. Like clockwork.

Right. What needs to happen is making new accounts more difficult to simply create out of thin air, so trolling becomes 100x more difficult. Tie an account to a phone number, have a 72 waiting period before you can post, have a ghost banned status where repeat offenders stop broadcasting out to other people but aren't told that they're banned.

There are 101 things that twitter could do TODAY to curb 75% of abuse on their service, but they simply don't want to.

Yes, which is why the CEO or whoever it was saying he was "ashamed" of their efforts to stop trolls was complete hollow bullshit.

BiggNife

I have been using facebook and Twitter to interact with 100s bands and artist and I have never came across this level of harassment videogame personnel suffer through.

If you don't think the Videogame community is a poisonous well and is worse than other communities out there, then you should get your head out of the sand.

I've seen shit from the tech and comics/anime communities that are just as bad if not worse than the shit I see from the gaming community.

I agree with what Grief said.

fedexpeon

Banned
There is no way in hell requiring SSN for registration would fly. People aren't going to trust a microblogging site with something that important. They would destroy their userbase if they did so. And another site would just come into being that's essentially Twitter but doesn't require that info and a vast portion of users would migrate to it. Especially from gaming or other more niche communities I would expect.

They can use cellphone number, receive a code, and boom, you got yourself an account.
Your cellphone is tied to your SSN anyway, so in the end, everyone will be tracked and be responsible for their action.

Just out of curiosity, did randos on Twitter actually have specific information about this guy's wife and family?

Or do people just say things like "I'll kill your daughter" on the chance that the guy actually does have a daughter?

Sorry, but I've never agreed with this argument.

A rape threat is a rape threat. How do you know which ones are just "jokes" and which ones are serious? You don't. I don't think you can just dismiss these things, because what if someone actually acts on it? There are stories of gamergaters attempting to drive to developers' houses and/or stalking their place of work. It's a serious thing.

A gamergater once tweeted himself by the workplace of the developer of this twitter GG autoblock tool. Then there was that one guy who attempt to drive cross country to challenge vocal GG critic and game developer Brianna Wu to a street race but crashes his car on the way.

Like facebook, twitter is useless. No idea why its so popular, but it does tend to attract weirdos and crazy people, not to mention people saying dumb stuff only to get fired from their job. Its pretty sad.

You know, except for all the people who find use in them.

Life is gong to be rough for you if you're just going to keep stating untrue things as if they had meaning.

BiggNife

A gamergater once tweeted himself by the workplace of the developer of this twitter GG autoblock tool. Then there was that one guy who attempt to drive cross country to challenge vocal GG critic and game developer Brianna Wu to a street race but crashes his car on the way.

Yes. Those two events were exactly what I was talking about.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or claiming that I'm exaggerating, but I found both of those events unsettling.

Also the addendum to the first event is that the guy was planning to go back, possibly with a weapon on him "for safety," and didn't back off until Randi Harper got a restraining order. That's pretty fucking serious.

alstein

Crazy folks are of all stripes- it goes beyond any one particular group. One dev I know had his 8-yr old daughter doxxed in december, and has received so many death threats in his career he wrote an article on his site about differentiating the types of death threats.

This craziness is common among any level of celebrity, and game devs are celebrities. Outspoken devs get even more craziness.

They can use cellphone number, receive a code, and boom, you got yourself an account.
Your cellphone is tied to your SSN anyway, so in the end, everyone will be tracked and be responsible for their action.

burner phones aren't.

Top Bottom