• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 360 revision with 1TB of storage coming soon to a Hut near you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brofist

McHuj said:
I wonder if there is a slim version of the xbox if they would change the form factor of the hard drive to accommodate 3.5 inch drives and perhaps make it plugin and internal. Then a 1 TB drive could be a lot cheaper. New Egg the other day had some for around $80.

I don't see how they can make the xbox thinner and keep the current hard drives. I guess they could shorten the length of the box and maybe even the depth so it's more like a brick.

3.5" HDDs are too large, they'd have to use a 2.5" for any kind of slimmed down 360.

Mamesj

Banned
What the hell would you do with a TB of space on the 360? I guess video is an option, but I can't think of any other reason.

I'm sure there is a bigger hard drive on the way, or a new revision of the Elite. The 120gb hdd seems to be in sketchy supply, and Elites are being bundled with all sorts of games to add value to it here (and the US has that GOTY pack).

If MS are serious about a downloadable games service and want support of the third parties then they are going to have to do someting about the amount of space available on their console, as well as the price of their HDDs.

Kibbles

Allegedly because of the new Xbox 360 Games on Demand. It'll also release standard in a new Xbox 360 SKU w/ Project Natal next year.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/20041/Rumor-Microsoft-to-Release-1TB-Hard-Drive-for-Xbox-360/
The rumor is out there and every where. Several publications, analysts and forum users claim Microsoft plans to release a 1 terabyte (1,000 GB) hard disk drive for the Xbox 360. The reason? The new Games on Demand service, which will offer both Xbox Originals and classic Xbox 360 titles as digital downloads. Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter is one the analysts who think Microsoft needs such big hard drive on the Xbox 360 so the Games on Demand service is not held back by current storage options.

"I don't see the timing between new release and digital download being a function of anything other than hard drive sizes," offered Pachter, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz. "I think as soon as we have large hard drives - think the rumoured Project Natal 'new' Xbox 360 with a terabyte of storage in 2010 - we'll have day-and-date downloads."

Would you pay for a 1TB hard drive in order to start buying downloadable Xbox 360 games that are also available at retail stores?

Willeth

Any new 360 rumourmonger worth his salt should make sure to include details of multiple accessories as an optional extra to the initial purchase, sold to squeeze more cash out of the buyer under the veil of user customisation. Anything less and it's specious.

WiCkEd_Co

I just pre order mine at Gamestop Just ask for the Xbox 1000

1tb.gif

xbhaskarx

Mamesj said:
What the hell would you do with a TB of space on the 360? I guess video is an option, but I can't think of any other reason.

Download full 360 games in a few months? Install games on the hard drive? Buy tons of XBLA and Community games? Rock Band songs? Movies?

Maybe 1 TB is a lot even with the ability to download full games, but they should release at least a 4-500 GB model.

Raistlin

Blue Geezer said:
wait wat?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145233
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106225

and thats at end user prices! (although one is OEM)

you can guarantee it would be at 50% or less of those values to mass produce.

however yes with Msoft I wouldnt be surprised if they charged far more for the HDD >.< £100 for a 120 gig HDD is just plain disgraceful.

You should probably cite 2.5" HDD's when trying to make this point :\

itxaka

Defeatist
IPTV + Pushing digital distribution makes the 1Tb number pausible.

MS wanting to own the living room makes it more credible. Tivo functions on the console, netflix, gaming, etc..

But MS HDD drives prices make this impossible.

I don't know. I sort of want it.

I'm holding out on my 4th 360 till this is 100% confirmed or denied. Same with my 3rd PS3 and IT'S slim

2nd Wii will be the black one.

I think we'll need the 1TB personally

Raistlin

itxaka said:
MS wanting to own the living room makes it more credible. Tivo functions on the console, netflix, gaming, etc..

Regular use for Tivo functionality and Netflix?

MS, call me when your HW is reliable, and doesn't use hundreds of watts of power.

Also, until the 360 supports OTA tuners and cable cards, calling if Tivo functionality is pretty silly.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
And the best part, this new 360 revision will be powered by a new engine, the X-engine ;)

(btw, was this posted?)

So that's Microsoft's first initiative. Something else might have surprised developers when they received their new Xbox 360 development kit; a new set of tools, or more accurately a new engine. According to our insider source, Microsoft has been on working a new internal Xbox 360 engine, which has been nick-named the X-Engine.

The rest is here:
http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/xbox360/xbox-secrets-the-truth-about-xbox-360-relaunch--$1305320.htm

itxaka

Defeatist
Onix said:
Regular use for Tivo functionality and Netflix?

MS, call me when your HW is reliable, and doesn't use hundreds of watts of power.

Also, until the 360 supports OTA tuners and cable cards, calling if Tivo functionality is pretty silly.

I still have to see one Tivo, I don't know the functionality of those so I was just blind-talking.

Isn't it just cable TV with record functions and instant replays and such? No idea seriously. I just thougth that is the way MS should take if they want to be the only ones on the living room.

Raistlin

itxaka said:
I still have to see one Tivo, I don't know the functionality of those so I was just blind-talking.

Isn't it just cable TV with record functions and instant replays and such? No idea seriously. I just thougth that is the way MS should take if they want to be the only ones on the living room.

Well, current Tivo's have TONS of features ...

... but its core functionality is to be able to pause live TV, record shows while watching other ones (either live or recorded), etc. How exactly could a 360 do this? How would you input a signal, and what is decoding it?

Even the most basic DVR features can't occur unless they are adding in new HW.

Willeth

Onix said:

... but its core functionality is to be able to pause live TV, record shows while watching other ones (either live or recorded), etc. How exactly could a 360 do this? How would you input a signal, and what is decoding it?

They are adding Sky functionality for the UK without additional hardware - it's not a big leap at all to imagine the ability to record onto it - although admittedly a neutered version of it.

Maximilian E. said:
And the best part, this new 360 revision will be powered by a new engine, the X-engine ;)

(btw, was this posted?)

The rest is here:
http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/xbox360/xbox-secrets-the-truth-about-xbox-360-relaunch--$1305320.htm

Wow. this deserves it's own thread.

itxaka

Defeatist
Onix said:

Via internet?

We can see normal TV in Spain via internet (available as a product, digital TV and such) so I guess it's possible to do it on a 360 with some software and a Ethernet cable no?

Of course, they can always go with the PlayTV route for the old ones and have the new ones include it out of the box.

Mamesj said:
Install 10 games ~ 75 gb
Download 20 demos ~ 20 gb
Download 30 pieces of DLC ~ 10gb
Download 40 trailers ~ 6gb
+ 4gb cache
= 115gb
A little excessive (although I didn't mention XBLA at all), but remember that we're going to have multi disc games with installs very soon starting with Forza 3 (so if you install both discs thats 15gb right there). Also it doesn't seem like they cache the Xbox Dashboard or Marketplace at all which is one of the reasons why its slow, it always has to pull everything off the server. Avatars are also pretty slow when you have 70+ friends. If there was a TB drive available they could reserve more space for the Dashboard and speed things up.

infinityBCRT said:
Install 10 games ~ 75 gb
Download 20 demos ~ 20 gb
Download 30 pieces of DLC ~ 10gb
Download 40 trailers ~ 6gb
+ 4gb cache
= 115gb
A little excessive (although I didn't mention XBLA at all), but remember that we're going to have multi disc games with installs very soon starting with Forza 3 (so if you install both discs thats 15gb right there). Also it doesn't seem like they cache the Xbox Dashboard or Marketplace at all which is one of the reasons why its slow, it always has to pull everything off the server. Avatars are also pretty slow when you have 70+ friends. If there was a TB drive available they could reserve more space for the Dashboard and speed things up.
They could automatically download all new arcade game trials and demos. You can try them whenever you like, no need to waste time downloading.

Raistlin

Willeth said:
They are adding Sky functionality for the UK without additional hardware - it's not a big leap at all to imagine the ability to record onto it - although admittedly a neutered version of it.

Please point me to info on this.

I think you're misinterpreting the implications

this been posted?

Xbox Secrets: The truth about the Xbox 360 "relaunch"
Wednesday, 24 Jun 2009 14:36

Microsoft is bringing more to the Xbox 360 than simply a new way to play games; you might be seeing a significant upgrade to the console's graphics thanks to a couple of new initiatives.

Project Natal, which will launch at some point next year, is set to bring a new way to play video games. Microsoft's Shane Kim has already stated that the controller-less peripheral will receive a launch as big as the Xbox 360, but Gamezine understands that the company will be providing even more momentum.

You may not know it, but Microsoft shipped a new Xbox 360 development kit to studios earlier in the year. One striking difference was the inclusion of one-gigabytes of RAM. No, this does not mean that Microsoft will be releasing a new Xbox 360 with more memory; the new kit instead makes development a little easier.

Like the PlayStation 3 1GB development kits, the extra memory can be used to properly test your game. This was a problem for Xbox 360 developers before now, since extra memory from the 512MB pool would have to be put aside to test their game engine. Developers could of course disable these test features in order to use this spare memory, but that would mean that they wouldn't easily be able to test their game.

Therefore, a certain amount of memory would be sacrificed for their retail Xbox 360 game; this could amount to anything from 20MB's to as much as 100MB's. However, with the new Xbox 360 kit, this is no longer problem, giving that memory back to developers for the first time since the Xbox 360's launch in 2005.

So that's Microsoft's first initiative. Something else might have surprised developers when they received their new Xbox 360 development kit; a new set of tools, and supposedly a new engine. According to our insider source, Microsoft has been working on a new internal Xbox 360 engine, which has been nick-named the X-Engine.

You see, the most common engine used for Xbox 360 development was Epic's Unreal Engine 3. It might look great in Gears of War, but the engine does not shine in every developer's hands and it also doesn't have key features to take true advantage of the Xbox 360 quirks.

Our source explains that Sony's PlayStation 3 tools (named Edge) have been picking up steam, and are now taking true advantage of the platform's make-up, especially the consoles CPU, Kutaragi-san's infamous Cell. As for the Xbox 360, it was lacking an engine that took advantage of it in the same way; a hole Microsoft hopes to plug with their new X-Engine. We're told that the engine isn't just a new set of special effects; it's actually a whole new way to develop for the system: a new first party engine design.

We'll bring you more on Microsoft's X-Engine by the end of the week, but hopefully you can see the significance. Microsoft is hoping to give a boost to its games with extra memory, a new first party engine that takes direct advantage of the console's quirks, and a new way to play with Project Natal. So no there won't be a new Xbox 360 in 2010. Instead the current Xbox 360 will be getting a re-birth that'll hopefully fuel the platform to survive until 2015.

Xabora

Xabora said:
Update: NeoGaf -> Internet -> NeoGaf

Today I ran across some information.
However I do live in an area with a good deal of employees/contractors from a rather large corporation and have worked with some of them in my past.

So lets start off with some of the info I was given starting with the 360 in general.
From what I was told during a conversation;
Microsoft seems to be slimming the system down to a 'Wii-like' size. (A Fat overweight Wii )
This model should have the CPU+GPU Combo Dye with the E-DRAM off to the side.
Thats all the information I have on that.

Now I'm not 100% sure on this so do not get hyped up, but speculated release is Late Winter 2008ish?
Side note, ATI/AMD has been working on a CPU/GPU Combo dye for sometime. LINK

Ehh, 2 years off.
Not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom