• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Amazing ZombiU trailer

D-e-f-

Banned
Heh, Dishonored/Virtue's Last Reward/X-Com for me in October, then I'm pretty much moving exclusively to WiiU for the rest of of the holidays (outside of Paper Mario).

@ D-e-f: 16-20 hours sounds great. I just hope the recent added content isn't filler.

1000 fetch quests! :D "I left my warm socks at home. Get them for me. Problem is, we were having a family dinner so the house is full of zombies and my Aunt Sue put on some weight so getting past her is gonna be a bitch! Good luck!" ...sounds awesome, right? :D

Btw: No Hitman: Absolution for you? Sounds like your thing going by Dishonored and XCOM.

Character accounts or bust!

If you have both characters present, you can connect them together and transfer their skills over to the other. The new character can then only use those skills in "old mode", meaning he can't use his own personal skills. The new character also comes in black or white. The black one is bigger, naturally.

in case you didn't notice, I'm being stupid here, ignore this post!!!!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is the kind of preview that screams Day 1 :)

If you’re still not convinced that ZombiU is a ‘hardcore’ game for ‘hardcore’ people, then you should at least check the game out through a friend’s purchase. To all Dark Souls fans, you absolutely need to play this game. It’s that simple.
‘ZombiU is the Dark Souls of zombie games’. You’re going to hear a lot of people say that after the Wii U launches in November. It’s absolutely true, as the game is brutally difficult, and makes no attempt to coddle players as they wade miserably through post apocalyptic London.

One of the magic ingredients that makes a good survival horror game even better is making the player feel dangerously under-resourced, pathetically weak, and continually on the backfoot at all times. If this stresses you out, then ZombiU is not the game for you.

It has been absolutely engineered with hardcore gamers in mind, mixing the continuous dread of games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent with unforgiving trial and error format of Dark Souls. You will die a lot, but with each death you will learn what not to do next time.

Best of all, when you die, it’s entirely your fault and – sorry to put this bluntly readers – down to your own foolish haste and stupidity. It’s not that you’ aren’t smart enough to overcome Ubisoft Montreal’s sadistic challenge, it just takes a lot of practice.

That’s part of the problem. Wii U does have casual players who may take a punt on ZombiU – because, zombies – and that could lead to a lot of copies being traded in shortly after launch.

Our hands-on session starts with a dreary slog through London’s sewer network, and up into the Tower of London’s hidden catacombs. We’ve got a cricket bat – the game’s default, unbreakable melee weapon – and a shotgun with only 30 bullets.

There’s also a flashlight that runs down mercilessly fast, and it takes ages to recharge. Once it’s off, the sewers are seriously pitch black, which is why the Wii U GamePad’s radar screen is helpful for spotting movement in the dark.

Slow movement is the key, as your cricket bat will only down a zombie in about six heavy hits. That’s a lot of attacking needed for just one enemy, so you have to avoid confronting packs of the buggers if you hope to survive long.

You could of course hit them with your firearms – but wouldn’t you know it – gunfire attracts the horde to your location with every single shot, so that’s not a dependable tactic either.

Drawing out zombies one by one using flares does help thin out groups if you have to kill a few of them, or you could lay mines in a tight bottleneck, fire a few shots, and stand back as they rush towards the sound and blow up in meaty, bloody chunks.

There are many ways to play ZombiU, but several truths remain throughout: never ignore your radar and make sure you’re alone before using your inventory. Opening your backpack is activated by simply swiping down on the touch screen, but it renders you immobilised.

You can then drag your favourite items to the hot bar and organise loot gathered from corpses. You only have so many slots, so resource management is yet another problem facing your survivor.

This is where both the respawn and safehouse mechanics come into play. Safehouses do exactly what they suggest – they are respawn zones that play home to crafting benches and lockers that can be used to stash precious loot.

Lockers are crucial, because when you die and respawn as a different survivor, you lose everything – save for your cricket bat, flashlight and a pistol with just six rounds. Back at your point of death, your previous survivor reanimates as a zombie carrying all of your gear.

ZombiU’s gamescom trailer.
They aren’t painted on the map either, so say they’re holding that super-upgraded firearm that you spent ages crafting, chances are you will never find them again and the weapon is lost.

This poses a tough choice when faced with an area swarming with the undead. Do you avoid potentially dying and losing your favourite gun – by trudging all the way back to your last safehouse in order to stash it away – or do you rush in hoping that you’ll make it through alive?

You have to constantly make these difficult decisions every step of the way. You’ll ask yourself, ‘Do I walk blindly through the dark undetected, or use my flashlight to see threats even if it leaves me exposed?’

There are times when you may even think, ‘Do I take the long, dangerous, but silent melee route, or do I risk detection by shooting those zombies to create an easy path?’ Everything must be considered. Even travelling through water is a risk.

When wading through water, your survivor lifts their backpack overhead to keep it dry, leaving you utterly defenceless and unable to attack. Rushing through the ravaged streets of London is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all cost.

Every inch of the game smacks of Dark Souls, and this comparison is highlighted further by ZombiU’s messaging system, which lets you walk up to walls and leave graffiti tag messages for other players online.

These aren’t actual words, but symbols. So you could select the ‘stairs’ icon and a ‘thumbs down’ – to basically say ‘don’t go downstairs’. There are many symbol combinations geared towards highlighting hazards or killer loot, so it will be interesting to see how these are used – or abused – once servers go live.

Finally – and this is a stroke of genius on Ubisoft Montreal’s part – once one of your survivors dies and then reanimates as a zombie, there’s a chance they will also spawn into your friends’ game too.

So you can hop on Miiverse and say, ‘hey I died at this location holding a brilliant weapon. Go find me to claim it’, and vice-versa. It’s a neat way of sharing weapons and collaborating with other players to beat the game.

It’s hard to step back from comparing ZombiU to Dark Souls, but the parallels are blatant. This isn’t a bad thing however, because survival horror games are supposed to make surviving a struggle, and this is one of those rare games that actually delivers that feeling.

If you’re still not convinced that ZombiU is a ‘hardcore’ game for ‘hardcore’ people, then you should at least check the game out through a friend’s purchase. To all Dark Souls fans, you absolutely need to play this game. It’s that simple.

Zarovitch

Finally – and this is a stroke of genius on Ubisoft Montreal’s part – once one of your survivors dies and then reanimates as a zombie, there’s a chance they will also spawn into your friends’ game too.

I wonder, if your friend kill reanimate character, can you kill it too in your game, or your friend steal your stuff?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
1000 fetch quests! :D "I left my warm socks at home. Get them for me. Problem is, we were having a family dinner so the house is full of zombies and my Aunt Sue put on some weight so getting past her is gonna be a bitch! Good luck!" ...sounds awesome, right? :D

Btw: No Hitman: Absolution for you? Sounds like your thing going by Dishonored and XCOM.

:lol, joking aside, my worse nightmare is something like "now that you are done with your regular journey, we need to revisit all the same areas and plant some mystical item to vanquish the Zombies for good!"
*ugh*

I'll wait for reviews on Hitman, and probably pick it up sometime next year when it is cheap, or either rent it through gamefly/blockbuster this fall. Personally I have a major backlog that I'm trying to clear through before WiiU hits, but I can't resist some of my most anticipated games of the year (Dishonored, X-Com, and V:LR).

@ preview: holy shit, that sounds amazing. I remember the sewers with the invisible monsters/flying bugs being the scariest part in RE4, something about the sloshing of water and the faint sound of footsteps/crawling just scares the shit out of me. This particular scene in ZombiU sounds tense as hell, and I can't wait to play.

D-e-f-

Banned

I wonder, if your friend kill reanimate character, can you kill it too in your game, or your friend steal your stuff?

They've talked about this at E3 extensively.

Your zombie character can be killed by your friend in his game if he gets to him first or you can hunt them down yourself. Your friend can indeed steal your loot if you don't take the zombie down yourself!

ironcreed

Banned
This is the kind of preview that screams Day 1 :)

Sounds fantastic and like it could potentially be one of the best first person shooters to come around in awhile. Especially:

"This poses a tough choice when faced with an area swarming with the undead. Do you avoid potentially dying and losing your favourite gun – by trudging all the way back to your last safehouse in order to stash it away – or do you rush in hoping that you’ll make it through alive?

You have to constantly make these difficult decisions every step of the way. You’ll ask yourself, ‘Do I walk blindly through the dark undetected, or use my flashlight to see threats even if it leaves me exposed?’

There are times when you may even think, ‘Do I take the long, dangerous, but silent melee route, or do I risk detection by shooting those zombies to create an easy path?’ Everything must be considered. Even travelling through water is a risk.

When wading through water, your survivor lifts their backpack overhead to keep it dry, leaving you utterly defenceless and unable to attack. Rushing through the ravaged streets of London is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all cost."

Zarovitch

They've talked about this at E3 extensively.

Your zombie character can be killed by your friend in his game if he gets to him first or you can hunt them down yourself. Your friend can indeed steal your loot if you don't take the zombie down yourself!

Thanks. I can't wait to piss off my friend :)

So you can hop on Miiverse and say, ‘hey I died at this location holding a brilliant weapon. Go find me to claim it’, and vice-versa. It’s a neat way of sharing weapons and collaborating with other players to beat the game.

Preview sounds utterly amazing. If this game indeed ends up technically sound, all of the haters are going to end up eating MASSIVE amounts of crow. Wii U's not even out the gate yet and it's already got two of the most hardcore sounding titles: Zombi U and Bayo 2. Hope Nintendo can keep up the pace, it'll go a long way towards changing people's opinion of them.

cacildo

Any news on multiplayer? - and im NOT talking about the minigame where one put dot-zombies on the game pad while the other plays a real game on the tv

D-e-f-

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bogwhFH8Hy0

Dat sound (direct-feed audio)! super tense! especially the sonar beeping ...

The only thing that I hope isn't in the game: that neverending loading screen. I had PSX flashbacks.

Any news on multiplayer? - and im NOT talking about the minigame where one put dot-zombies on the game pad while the other plays a real game on the tv

that's not a minigame. that's so far the only "real" multiplayer mode that has been announced. it's a capture the flag mode. both players have to go for the flag, the zombie director and the FPS player.

edit: more from brand new interview below!

Forgive the stupid question but is this a launch title? Not launch window, but day one Wii U title?

yes. day one.

----

NEW INTERVIEW (via GoN)
http://www.konsolifin.net/nintendo/jutut/181/

+no traditional online multiplayer
+online features not tied to miiverse
+multiple local asymmetric modes!
+confirms Wiimote+Nunchuck for multiplayer!

A portion of a Konsolifin interview with Ubisoft's Gabrielle Shrager...

K: What can you tell about Miiverse features? When you die or become a zombie in the online game, does your zombie character appear in your friend’s games?

GS: Our online app offers a ton of sweeet features for you and your Nintendo friends to feel a little less alone in the merciless world of ZombiU (although it is not directly linked to the Miiverse). When playing online, players will receive alerts onscreen in real-time that tell you when your friends’ survivors have been Infected and where they are likely to be roaming if you want to go and mercy-kill them and loot their gear. Plus you can follow stats about your own former Infected survivor characters, like how many of your friends have encounter, killed or been Infected by them. Also, you’ll find leaderboards to compare your Survivors’ Scores against your friends and see who the most successful survivors are.

K: What kind of multiplayer modes are there in ZombiU?

GS: ZombiU offers a local Asymmetric Multiplayer mode rather than online modes. So you can play with your friends using the Wii U GamePad and the Pro Controller in your couch. What is the multiplayer mode about: The ‘King of Zombies’ has organized his own sadistic London games to entertain his bloodthirsty subjects… Play as King Boris on the WiiU tablet, crazed boss of a violent gang and self-proclaimed ‘King of the Zombies’, and beat all survivors…one by one! Or play as a Survivor and attempt to outwit the King of Zombies and his brain-dead 'gladiators'!

With SURVIVORS VS KING OF ZOMBIES, ZombiU features one-on-one competitive multiplayer modes, which tasks one player with controlling zombie hordes (Infected Units) using the Wii U GamePad, while the other player fights to survive in FPS view with either Wii controllers or the new Pro Controller. The multiplayer features 3 exhilirating game modes including assault, deathmatch and survival modes.

SURVIVORS VS KING OF ZOMBIES, is full-fledged multiplayer experience, with deep gameplay that will provide many hours of fun. The Wii U allowed us to create an exhilarating experience that can be shared by a hardcore gamer and a more casual player-friend or family member, without the latter becoming completely outmatched. Unlike the campaign, which offers a solo Survival Horror FPS experience, the ‘King of Zombies’ player uses the Wii U GamePad at a more relaxed pace. The gameplay is more about overall strategy than any gamer reflexes honed over years…so it’s more immediately accessible. Our multiplayer modes are also a bridge for new players to get into the game before they acquire the courage to face the Infected hordes alone, while offering a more traditional first-person shooter experience using the Wii U Pro Game Controller or Wii Remote and Nunchuck. Even survival-horror fans will love blowing off some steam with a little running and gunning!

Top Bottom