• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Avril Lavigne video. 'Heres To Never Growing Up'

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like Radiohead is an obscure band with a cult following.

Fucking this. Can't stand people getting all up in arms when people mention Radiohead like they're come unknown indie band.

On the video, god damn I like it, all those outfits are just so good ._.

Also the vid had to pause while buffering and this was staring at me.
iEotXnIYDqwjJ.jpg

Trigger

I could be very wrong but, I'm just adding things about her up in my mind. Looking at the songs she sings, her fake high school punk/pop "tough" image, who she's married to, and how old she is, name dropping Radiohead isn't just some "this will be a nice lyric". No, It was a calculated commercial strike by her and her team. It all screams fake "my act in legitimate. i'm a pop rebel who listens out side the box". Basically, she's using Radiohead to propel her bullshit image.

Fuck this bitch (and her writing team).

A calculated commercial strike at who? lol, I doubt Top 40 listeners are a big part of Radiohead's demographic. It might shake you to your very core, but artists who put out one style of music aren't limited to liking only their genre. Maybe Avril really is a fan of Radiohead, but writes pop?

Dishwalla

Banned
BTW shes basically 30 and singing in a high school prom.

Think about it, Mark Hoppus was 30 and Tom Delonge was like 27 a decade ago when blink-182 were at the height of their success singing "teenage" anthems(stuff like "kids can't vote adults elect them"). Nothing new at all.

pxleyes

Banned
Fuck this fucking bitch for name dropping a good band to try and gain some credibility. Seriously, if you like Radiohead, you would LAUGH at the fact at marrying that fucking tool from Nickleback. Such a fake and shallow piece of shit peddling this fucking poison top 40 bullshit.

Gah...if you're going to make shit music, keep good bands out of your fucking mouth/lyrics. Oh, and FUCK Cello or whatever his name is for fucking changing the lyrics to "Imagine" by Lennon to "Imagine if all religions were real". Fuck you!

...welp, maybe this shouldn't have been the first thread to click on this morning.

I promise you this. She did not reference any 'good' band.

Dilly

Banned
Her "I'm alternative and edgy" schtick while making a boring popsong is getting so tiresome.

And since when is her voice so autotuned? Shit sounds so digital I can almost hear the '1' and '0'.

I promise you this. She did not reference any 'good' band.

Congratulations on that opinion.

Her "I'm alternative and edgy" schtick while making a boring popsong is getting so tiresome.

And since when is her voice so autotuned? Shit sounds so digital I can almost hear the '1' and '0'.

I hear the autotune at the very start, but the main song sounds kinda legit. I mean, it's probably adjusted like any pop music would be, but her voice is hardly a whole lot different to what it has been before, at least to my ears.

Amory

I'm convinced that everyone who says they're still enjoying the music Radiohead puts out are lying. Like when I took a sip of my dad's beer when I was 9 and said it was good but secretly wanted to go vomit.

Bob White

A calculated commercial strike at who? lol, I doubt Top 40 listeners are a big part of Radiohead's demographic. It might shake you to your very core, but artists who put out one style of music aren't limited to liking only their genre. Maybe Avril really is a fan of Radiohead, but writes pop?

Teens and young adults who only listen to top 40 that have an ipod library of not the discography of any band, but just singles. People that live purely off of what the super bowl and tv tells them are good. Singles like Creep and Rebel Rebel. Nothing any deeper. These people will hear the new Avril song and go "oh, radiohead! I know them. They did that one song on my ipod. Avril is keeping it real~!"

Bah! I say fucking BAH to that.

Trigger

Teens and young adults who only listen to top 40 that have an ipod library of not the discography of any band, but just singles. People that live purely off of what the super bowl and tv tells them are good. Singles like Creep and Rebel Rebel. Nothing any deeper. These people will hear the new Avril song and go "oh, radiohead! I know them. They did that one song on my ipod. Avril is keeping it real~!"

lol, I don't even know how to respond to that. It's like some caricature you've built in your head.

Amory

but like, so what? It literally doesn't matter that some people are like that. At all.

And there are a ton of people with very deep, diverse music tastes that can still enjoy throwaway top 40 songs like this one. They're fun.

Plus I don't think she's just name dropping Radiohead for the hell of it. I'm sure she did listen to them in high school

Bob White

but like, so what? It literally doesn't matter that some people are like that. At all.

And there are a ton of people with very deep, diverse music tastes that can still enjoy throwaway top 40 songs like this one. They're fun.

Plus I don't think she's just name dropping Radiohead for the hell of it. I'm sure she did listen to them in high school

I don't know, I just find that someone with an obviously crafted image like Avril's "punk/pop I'm a real musician" bullshit name dropping a famous alt rock rock band AFTER another pop chick did it is fucking bullshit. It's outright lying to people and building her image more so than a heartfelt lyric.

And that's not music to me, it's trash.

Why are people so close-minded like this at times?

I'm a huge fan of punk rock, ska etc, but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate a decent pop song. I don't deny that it's manufactured and 'what the record companies want me to hear' but that doesn't in itself make it instantly devoid of any musical value.

SaintZ

I don't know, I just find that someone with an obviously crafted image like Avril's "punk/pop I'm a real musician"
The fuck? Avril writes, plays the piano, guitar and drums and sometimes produces her songs and she's not a real musician? Goodbye.

And both Katy and Avril are the same age. The were like 16/17 when Radiohead was smashing so I don't know why it's like inconceivable they'd enjoy their music or reference them in a song when they talk about being young.

pxleyes

Banned
I don't know, I just find that someone with an obviously crafted image like Avril's "punk/pop I'm a real musician" bullshit name dropping a famous alt rock rock band AFTER another pop chick did it is fucking bullshit. It's outright lying to people and building her image more so than a heartfelt lyric.

The irony is dripping.

Avril's Complicated came out when I was in high school, about 10 years ago. Radiohead was huge with kids when I was in high school. That South Park episode about the kid who loved Radiohead came out when I was in high school. This song being a big callback to the Complicated days, the Radiohead reference makes sense.

Rykestrasse 68

Neo Member
The video wasn't terrible. The song... is what it is. Fluff, for those that want fluff. I think, the sad affair that is pop music is that it isn't popular because an artist made a song that people relate to, has a catchy fun beat and is accessible and therefore is popular- but rather that most popular music is designed to, and tailored for capturing and catering to demographics and being "relatable" at the sacrifice of it being something that has a more organic and personal feel. To that end, I think performers like Avril and Katy Perry- are more like actors, playing the role and character that has been crafted for them by the Business. As far as I can tell, from some videos of avril before she was famous, she seems to have a passion for singing and there is some musicianship there- but in order to "make it" she has to play her role. I'd like to see the music that Avril Lavigne would make on her own, even if she just kept with choice covers of country music and songs she chose to suit her vocal style and her musical tastes. I don't hate her for it or anything, in a way I kind of feel bad for her because she's stuck singing to high school kids at nearly 30 years of age. She's been type-cast and that must be stifling, to be jammed into a definition of who you are and what you're about. On the other hand, she's rich- so good for her I guess. I'd rather listen to meaningless fluff that is meaningless because the artist is topical and superficial, than listen to meaningless fluff because the business of making money from music says that this exact combination of sounds and themes is all I want and will bring in X amount of dollars per their projections for the album/quarter/whatever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I agree with an earlier post, if you are trying to invoke actual nostalgia (however short term) starting with "singing Radiohead at the top of your voice" completely destroys the concept. It's like "blasting Sade on a rollercoaster"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom