• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman: Arkham Asylum Screens (End of Summer delay confirmed)

raYne

esbern said:
you know how i know this game is going to be fucking awesome? the only thing you kids can find to complain about is fucking Harley Quinn.
From what I remember seeing in the thread, you missed:

-you can see his eyes through his mask.
-combat's too easy.
-game looks button mashy.
-counters = win button.
-overall art style.

..and there's probably bitching about "exclusive content" to come and whatever problems with the SP when it's finally revealed and/or people get their hands on the game. :lol

54-46!

I was pleasantly surprised with the hand-to-hand combat videos, the game looks great.. I just hope that it is as open ended/free roam as they say it is.

I will definitely get this and Prototype in June.

I am potentially angry at this announcement. Angry if the PS3 version isn't too hot technically, which is a stretch considering UE3 on PS3 history, but not bothered if the PS3 version is consistent. I actually pre-ordered the batarang 360 version yesterday, probably going to go switch it next time.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Relaxed Muscle said:
Just buy the 360 version and wait for the 108Kb and overpriced key.

Yeah. Sony don't pay for exclusives so this is inevitably coming to the 360 eventually.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Burai said:
Yeah. Sony don't pay for exclusives so this is inevitably coming to the 360 eventually.
Like Mirrors Edge and Bioshock!

...oh, right.

We don't know any specifics of the DLC at all anyways; it wouldn't surprise me if both systems got different exclusive DLC.

DrBo42

Play.com has an "exclusive" armored (armoured in UK :lol ) batsuit if you pre-order.

6362923l.jpg

Fucking hot.

Edit: Also, PSM3 has a review in their next magazine. On sale May 7th.

DrBo42

AI and Stealth developer blog for Arkham Asylum just went up over at IGN

We wanted our AI to feel different every time you played, and if we did different things then enemies would react accordingly and you wouldn’t be able to predict exactly what they would do. But the player would be able to control them on a higher level in terms of how scared they were. We really wanted our AI to be dynamic. I wouldn’t say that this was something that couldn’t have been done on previous generation technology, more that is was a specific design decision that seemingly no one had made before. That said, more power always helps, of course!

In terms of backdrop, Arkham Island provides such a good fit for really feeling like Batman when you’re manipulating these enemies and creating fear. If it was set in a bouncy castle for example, it certainly wouldn’t have the same atmosphere. There are so many varying areas and styles throughout the Asylum and it really feels like a genuinely scary place to be. If you were one of those thugs walking around with Batman about, you would definitely be afraid, and that’s something we’ve really tried to capture.

In all games you’ve got to design your levels around how your mechanics work and Batman: Arkham Asylum is no different. Fail to do this and you’re not going to make a very good game. I don’t think the environment styles have limited what we’ve been able to do with AI or vice versa. We’ve come up with some good combinations of rooms that look both impressive and realistic and that also work well from the point of view of the AI and how you as a player interact with that.

Wag

I'm still hoping the PC port is the best as it is cheaper and I have a GTX 295/365 controller setup, otherwise I'll just go with the PS3 version.

jrricky

Banned
Played this on the PS3. It looks absolutely incredible and the fighting system is SO GOOD...unlimited multiple target combos baby (except if your are interrupted by an enemy). The one thing that still worries me is the splinter cell 'detective stuff'. If its just a choice thing to sneak, I would just go out and fight all throughout the game. If I'm forced to sneak, meh...

Pojo

Banned
This game looks incredible. It looks brutal, which is an art style that I really like for Batman.

Variety is great.

EDIT: problem is, that gameplay video made me physically ill.

McLovin

They had a demo for this game at my local K-mart and the graphics didn't look very good. The combat was really simple but I have to admit when you mix counters, stun, and attack Batman looks freaking awesome.

I thought it was fun, and also had a nice animation system in place that is much more suited to 3d, multi man brawls than the other main action games out right now. The flow from one enemy to the next is great, and something that I've wished for since mark of kri was released. I knew nothing about this other than its existence until today, so it was a nice surprise. Its not as engaging, or challenging, as DMC...but it does "flow" better. No, the animation, framerate, gameplay, graphics, etc arent better, but the transitions from one enemy to the next are really nice. I wish more action games would do this, as i havent really felt it since mark of kri.

McLovin said:
They had a demo for this game at my local K-mart and the graphics didn't look very good. The combat was really simple but I have to admit when you mix counters, stun, and attack Batman looks freaking awesome.
Wal-Mart in Arkansas City Kansas has the demo up too. Purely brawling. I like it.

Could be pretty damn cool.

RobbieNick

My Wal-Mart has the demo too. Just a brawling challenge. I don't think it's anyway a good representation of the final game. They needed more in that demo.

Zeliard

Wow, the PS3 version actually gets something exclusive that's worthwhile? :lol

Game's already shattering expectations and it's two months from release.

Taurus

Joker looks great! I'm huge fan of Batman but I was very disappointed how he looked like in Dark Knight. Jack Nicholson's Joker >>> Heath Ledger's Joker. But on the other hand, Tim Burton is next to god. Above.

Arkham Asylum's Joker reminds me of those great comic style Jokers. :D

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Taurus said:
Joker looks great! I'm huge fan of Batman but I was very disappointed how he looked like in Dark Knight. Jack Nicholson's Joker >>> Heath Ledger's Joker. But on the other hand, Tim Burton is next to god. Above.
Does. Not. Compute.

Top Bottom