• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman: Arkham Asylum Screens (End of Summer delay confirmed)

Wag

Gully State said:
That's because your processor is a dual core. 2.4 GHz dual core>> 3.0 GHz Single Core. Those reqs are still fairly low.
Got it, and I meant to say 3.27Ghz, not 2.4.:D

Pre-ordered the Collectors Edition Today along with inFamous.
Something bothers me. What material is the batarang made of? Is is steel, aluminum or plastic? I would love to kill someone with that.
j/k

Drum roll please....

Minimum:
• CPU: Intel single core 3 Ghz or AMD equivalent
• Memory: XP = 1 GB, Vista = 2GB
• GPU: Shader Model 3 NVidia 6600 or ATI 1300 or higher

Recommended:
• CPU: Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Dual core)
• Memory: XP = 2GB, Vista = 3GB
• GPU: NVidia 7900 GT or higher

Enhanced for multi-core

• Online features:
o Friends
o Achievements

Wow, the recommended requirements are pretty darn low and reasonable!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
the CE is $5 dollar cheaper at Amazon.com ( $94.99 ) plus they will give you Batman: Arkham Asylum comic book as an Exclusive Amazon pre order gift .

Amazon.com-Exclusive Pre-order
Pre-order "Batman: Arkham Asylum" and receive the Amazon-exclusive "Batman: Arkham Asylum" comic book. The comic will be bundled with the game. Offer good while supplies last. Must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to be eligible.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TOTST0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

DrBo42

New trailer posted over at IGN. "No Bane, this time I break YOU." Fuck yes.

Also a nifty write-up about the combat here.

IGN: How is it different from your typical button-mashing system?

Sefton Hill: Button mashing will only get you so far because you will quickly lose your combo and attacks will become much less effective. Against the weakest enemies in the game this will mean you will get hit if you do not counter the incoming attacks and just try to strike through these. Against the tougher enemies armed with knives and stun sticks, you will get punished even more if you make the wrong decision at the wrong time.

To take down enemies successfully you need to constantly assess multiple variables within the game: who is my next target, what is the most effective move to use on that target and then get the timing right for that attack. In order to master the FreeFlow system you need to make split second decisions on all three of these areas constantly which takes a very quick assessment of the situation and a lot of skill!

There is also a critical strike bonus which doubles the power of each strike. However, in order to use this power you need to get the timing of each strike perfect. If you mash the buttons you will never get the critical strike bonus.

In the main story mode you start off fighting a few of The Joker's henchman and things quickly ratchet up as they scavenge new weapons from around the asylum and attack in much greater numbers. This forces players to use more advanced tactics including the evade and cape stun to subdue these henchmen. On top of this, there are more advanced enemies, such as the deformed henchmen (you get a sneak peak of in the combat trailer) that requires its own unique tactics to takedown and changes the overall fight dynamic completely as players figure out how to use the enemies against each other. In Batman: Arkham Asylum the player's constant need to select the best move, the direction of the move and get the timing right keeps the gameplay fresh throughout the entire story. And, of course, players are rewarded after each fight with extra XP for achieving a high combo and also for the amount of variety in move selection.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
comedy bomb said:
Combat looks exceptional. It's just how he should fight, one fluid continuous move.

It is fun, and the animations flow really well together. It always looks fluid and natural.

Mechanics wise, this is the batman game I've always wanted minus an open world Gotham. I hope this game doesn't turn out to be subpar like Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

Malfunky

Damn, this game is just so Batman.

Is that big mutant dude before Bane some character I'm not remembering or is he just some big mutant dude?

TheFallen

DrBo42 said:
No, it's not. They're just mutated Joker henchmen. You can see that one of them has clown makeup on in the trailer.
Yea, I see what you're saying. Odd. I wonder what Amygdala will look like then, as they have said he's in the game.

Zeliard

Wtf? The game's good to go! It's received nothing but positive previews and the word of mouth is excellent. If they delay it until the holidays, it'll only kill the hype that's been built up.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Gully State said:
If that's true, it's pretty ballsy of them to think they can compete with the AAA titles coming this holiday season.

Yeah, but the game looks really solid. And it's Batman.

I can understand them pushing it back out of June. That month is looking more and more ridiculous by the day. But pushing it all the way back to the forth quarter is asking for trouble.

DrBo42

raYne said:
Dumbest move ever (if true). It'll just get lost in the shuffle like other "solid" games do when thrown into the Fall lineup to compete against the big guns for sales.

It's not like it needed more polish..
There's 90% of the game we haven't even seen yet. I'm just saying if the delay is needed to make an ultimately better game, I'm all for it.

bathala

Banned
I wonder if the publisher is getting arrogant because the game is getting a good buzz, and they want to dip their fingers on Fall Rush.

I like the game, but I hope its get buried on the holiday rush.

SolidSnakex said:
I can understand them pushing it back out of June. That month is looking more and more ridiculous by the day. But pushing it all the way back to the forth quarter is asking for trouble.

I agree with this. June is waaay too packed right now for me gaming-wise. July or August I think would be best if they needed to delay it a bit. It would make for a great late-summer game.

raYne

DrBo42 said:
There's 90% of the game we haven't even seen yet. I'm just saying if the delay is needed to make an ultimately better game, I'm all for it.
Yeah, but that's "if" anything needs polish in the first place. As you've said, we haven't seen the rest of the game, but polish wouldn't conveniently move release all the way back to Fall. This screams sales posturing.

Stormwatch said:
I agree with this. June is waaay too packed right now for me gaming-wise. July or August I think would be best if they needed to delay it a bit. It would make for a great late-summer game.
I've never understood this line of thinking. If time/money is an issue, just buy the game a month or two after release. Problem solved.

butsomuch

http://www.vg247.com/2009/05/01/eidos-uk-no-change-to-batman-date/
Eidos UK: No change to Batman date

Eidos has told VG247 this morning that Batman: Arkham Asylum is still on track for its summer release, despite a now widely-reported Game Informer rumour of a slip to Q4.

“Batman: Arkham Asylum is currently scheduled for a summer 2009 release date,” a rep said today.

Put it this way: the game’s scheduled for a June 23 release in the US and UK journos have been into Rocksteady to see it this week. We’re still waiting on an official Euro date, but everything we know about this game suggests you probably want to take all this with a pinch of salt. Just saying.

Thanks, Blerk.

Game official delayed until the end of summer 09.

This is off their official forums:

Hi everyone. There's been a lot of speculation about the Batman: Arkham Asylum release date. Eidos has just announced this statement (wanted you folk to get the official word first)....

"Eidos Interactive and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment can today confirm that Batman: Arkham Asylum will be released at the end of summer 2009. This additional time will allow us to ensure Batman: Arkham Asylum is of the highest quality for gamers."

Ponn

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Thats a lot of two's.

Wait till next year with the 3's.

Bioshock 3
Gears of War 3
Uncharted 3
Modern Warfare 3
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3
Final Fantasy 13!!!

wRATH2x

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Wait till next year with the 3's.

Bioshock 3
Gears of War 3
Uncharted 3
Modern Warfare 3
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3
Final Fantasy 13!!!

Thats a lot of three's.

Spoo

Well, I played the demo for this game at my local GameStop today and really enjoyed it. Besides the fact that it's fun to be Batman and kick the shit out of thugs, they've developed a very simple-yet-versatile combat system that is reminiscent of Assassin's Creed's counter-attack system. It works really well, and looks extremely, extremely fine-tuned; the animation blending is ridiculous.

Top Bottom