• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
new renders

Irish_01DAM.jpg

Pac_01DAM.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Character driven and emotional? That's exactly what it shouldn't do and one of the reasons BF3's campaign fell flat.

Let them fail.

Maybe next game we'll get the type of campaign that actually fits the BF gameplay.

Azriell

Have they said if BF4 MP will support the same number of players as PC (32v32, etc)? Even scaled down some of the BF3 maps felt super empty on consoles.

Edit: I also liked Metro Rush a lot, or at least the 3rd MCOMs where the attackers can come up the two sets of stairs or the side hall, and the defenders spawn behind the ticket booth/metal detectors. That area made a really good line to push.

Have they said if BF4 MP will support the same number of players as PC (32v32, etc)? Even scaled down some of the BF3 maps felt super empty on consoles.

Edit: I also liked Metro Rush a lot, or at least the 3rd MCOMs where the attackers can come up the two sets of stairs or the side hall, and the defenders spawn behind the ticket booth/metal detectors. That area made a really good line to push.

On the X1 and PS4, yes. The 360 and PS3 will still be 24 players though.

daevv

I have a few questions about BF4 that I'm not sure of. If anyone can answer or link to answers (or a better place to ask) that would be great.

Will we be able to pre-order the PS4 version on the PS3 store? With no actual date on the PS4 launch I was wondering about this. After playing BF3 digitally through PS+ I know want to go digital on PS4 but would like to pre-order it for the free DLC.

Will console digital pre-orders have access to the free DLC? This goes with with the above question and if not then I will not get it digitally on PS4.

Will there be MP cross play between PS3 and PS4? I have a few friends not getting a PS4 right away but are getting BF4. I would like to play with them but would like to do it without owning 2 copies of the game.

Thanks!

rafaelr

not sure on first 2 questions, but there definitely won´t be cross-play between PS3 and PS4.
PS3 will be limited to 24 players for example, whereas PS4 will get 64 players.

not sure on first 2 questions, but there definitely won´t be cross-play between PS3 and PS4.
PS3 will be limited to 24 players for example, whereas PS4 will get 64 players.

Thats probably the reason why.
Though impossible.., I really wish next gen we could see some X1 - PS4 multiplayer action. Like Dice saying a certain set of servers for cross platform multiplayer :p.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
haha...operation metro is a nightmare map. lots of fun until you hit the end of the train stairs.

Raven77

I don't have a huge problem with maps like Metro, its just that they don't belong in THIS game. Calling a game "Battlefield" and having a super small underground tunnel map simply makes no sense.

I don't understand why they can't just release a spinoff franchise that caters to people who want more close quarters action.

I'm not saying every map has to be massive, but Op Metro simply doesn't fit when compared to how BF 2 and BF 1942 maps were structured (BF 3 is a sequel to those games, not the Bad Company series).

haha...operation metro is a nightmare map. lots of fun until you hit the end of the train stairs.

Lol Operation Metro isnt exactly a fair map at the moment. It needs to be tweaked a bit.
Still hoping to see some Bad Company 2 maps make the DLC for 4 ... :(

I don't have a huge problem with maps like Metro, its just that they don't belong in THIS game. Calling a game "Battlefield" and having a super small underground tunnel map simply makes no sense.

I don't understand why they can't just release a spinoff franchise that caters to people who want more close quarters action.

I'm not saying every map has to be massive, but Op Metro simply doesn't fit when compared to how BF 2 and BF 1942 maps were structured (BF 3 is a sequel to those games, not the Bad Company series).

Alas, sir. Under EA they will always try luring fans of the other popular FPS... I would expect more smaller maps like Metro in BF4.

Raven77

Lol Operation Metro isnt exactly a fair map at the moment. It needs to be tweaked a bit.
Still hoping to see some Bad Company 2 maps make the DLC for 4 ... :(

Alas, sir. Under EA they will always try luring fans of the other popular FPS... I would expect more smaller maps like Metro in BF4.

You are correct, its just that, like I mentioned, I DON"T understand why they can't just release a spin off series. They did it with Bad Company, why not just do an "every other year" thing where one year its the somewhat-cod-like version of BF and the other year is a proper BF game.

BF 2 is one of my top 5 games of all time, to see what they did to it with BF 3 just made me physically ill.

Is the Commander mode like in BF2 where you can command squads and do supply drops and stuff?

Not sure about actual supply drops, but yes on all the rest, including vehicle drops.

Battlefield-4-Commander-Mode.jpg

Some new options as well like "High value target" and deploy gun ship.

*edit* Oh wait, just noticed supply drop is there too.

otapnam

Metro only works if the server isnt full of noobs. The map has multiple routes at each choke point that allow you to counter defenses. All too often teams get stuck at one area instead of flanking or overpowering weaker points

You are correct, its just that, like I mentioned, I DON"T understand why they can't just release a spin off series. They did it with Bad Company, why not just do an "every other year" thing where one year its the somewhat-cod-like version of BF and the other year is a proper BF game.

BF 2 is one of my top 5 games of all time, to see what they did to it with BF 3 just made me physically ill.

Exactly... The Battlefield expierence is being hampered by the CQ mentality theyre trying to throw at us. I bought BF Premium but I can honestly say Ive played CQ modes maybe 2 or 3 times...
I agree, they should release it as a spinoff series (not a full on COD clone like the MOH reboot..) but as a legitamate CQ game. With Killstreaks.. or whatever else floats COD fans boats. For me, Bad Company 2 remains my favorite BF game. The maps were amazing. (although, a bit limited in comparison to the series maps before it.).

JJD

Exactly... The Battlefield expierence is being hampered by the CQ mentality theyre trying to throw at us. I bought BF Premium but I can honestly say Ive played CQ modes maybe 2 or 3 times...
I agree, they should release it as a spinoff series (not a full on COD clone like the MOH reboot..) but as a legitamate CQ game. With Killstreaks.. or whatever else floats COD fans boats. For me, Bad Company 2 remains my favorite BF game. The maps were amazing. (although, a bit limited in comparison to the series maps before it.).

No, just no.

I've been playing BF for a while and small, infantry based maps can be fun if well designed. (Close Quarters DLC was fun, but frankly I prefer smaller maps to be the size of Metro if infantry only, or Bazaar if you throw in a vehicle).

It's a good change of pace from big vehicle intensive maps.

Ideally all maps would be as good as Karkand, with enough variety for all tastes. Karkand is good enough for infantry and vehicle oriented players.

Gigantic maps have not been favorites on BF3 even on PC with more players. Armored Kill was the least played DLC by far.

The Battlefield series is flexible enough to cater to most FPS players needs.

If anything I wish Dice would design rush better for the smaller maps. Rush is the only mode I think the smaller maps on BF3 suffer. Rush metro and Bazaar sucks, but Conquest is really fun on then).

The Flash

Banned
Best thing about Battlefield 4 is going to be all new episodes of Battlefield Friends. There's definitely going to be an episode where the Noob is the Commander.

Mit-

Have they said whether or not the PC version will have in-game voice chat? If you aren't a part of a clan or have tons of friends on Origin that you somehow made without being able to anonymously communicate with them in-game, Battlefield 3 is a boring shitstorm of zero teamwork.

Raven77

No, just no.

I've been playing BF for a while and small, infantry based maps can be fun if well designed. (Close Quarters DLC was fun, but frankly I prefer smaller maps to be the size of Metro if infantry only, or Bazaar if you throw in a vehicle).

It's a good change of pace from big vehicle intensive maps.

Ideally all maps would be as good as Karkand, with enough variety for all tastes. Karkand is good enough for infantry and vehicle oriented players.

Gigantic maps have not been favorites on BF3 even on PC with more players. Armored Kill was the least played DLC by far.

The Battlefield series is flexible enough to cater to most FPS players needs.

If anything I wish Dice would design rush better for the smaller maps. Rush is the only mode I think the smaller maps on BF3 suffer. Rush metro and Bazaar sucks, but Conquest is really fun on then).

Armored Kill was a victim of poor flag choice placement as well as a game who's gameplay is just not as fun as it should be.

Also, and probably the biggest factor, is that the core audience (like myself and many others i've spoken with) had already moved on to other games by the time it launched. They catered to the COD crowd and the COD crowd stuck around.

BF 2 offered plenty of diversity in its maps without sacrificing what it is. BF 3 failed at that.

Have they said whether or not the PC version will have in-game voice chat? If you aren't a part of a clan or have tons of friends on Origin that you somehow made without being able to anonymously communicate with them in-game, Battlefield 3 is a boring shitstorm of zero teamwork.

They confirmed in-game VOIP, and I believe they weren't referring to Battlelog.

Mit-

They confirmed in-game VOIP, and I believe they weren't referring to Battlelog.
Thank god. I'll actually give this a shot if true.

Have they confirmed squad sizes as well as if there will be squad leaders with direct communication to commanders?

Won't be buying bf4 unless maybe the price drops significantly from £55. Did not enjoy bf3 at all. People were doing as they felt like. Like its cod. I enjoyed bc2. One of my fav online shooter. If bc comes back I will buy

Thank god. I'll actually give this a shot if true.

Have they confirmed squad sizes as well as if there will be squad leaders with direct communication to commanders?

5 person squads. Commanders can issue orders to squad leaders, who can accept/deny. Not sure if there is a specific VOIP channel.

Mit-

5 person squads. Commanders can issue orders to squad leaders, who can accept/deny. Not sure if there is a specific VOIP channel.
6 would be best, but okay. Do we know if you can only spawn on squad leader, and only VOIP within squads? (Sorry for the dumb specific questions. I liked Battlefield 2. A lot)

6 would be best, but okay. Do we know if you can only spawn on squad leader, and only VOIP within squads? (Sorry for the dumb specific questions. I liked Battlefield 2. A lot)

By default, you can squad spawn on anyone, unfortunately. It is server configurable, though.

I don't think they've given specifics on VOIP yet.

JJD

Armored Kill was a victim of poor flag choice placement as well as a game who's gameplay is just not as fun as it should be.

Also, and probably the biggest factor, is that the core audience (like myself and many others i've spoken with) had already moved on to other games by the time it launched. They catered to the COD crowd and the COD crowd stuck around.

BF 2 offered plenty of diversity in its maps without sacrificing what it is. BF 3 failed at that.

Lol, seems to me you just didn't like BF3 and not that the game failed. If anything, BF3 was a big, big success.

BF3 offered me as much diversity as I could possibly want. It's was never Dice intention to make it bigger than BF2 in scope. They just wanted to modernize the formula and attract new players. That's fine by me and they succeeded at that. Making it more accessible is not necessarily a bad thing. And while it isn't as big as BF2 gunplay is infinitely superior. That's a worthy trade off IMO considering there's still a lot of big maps to play.

I don't think flag placement was an issue on AK, and I don't agree that the core had moved on.

It was the most anticipated DLC by far. Specially after people realized how small CQ maps were (smaller than metro). A lot of players here on GAF that had already stopped playing the game came back to check it but it never clicked with then.

The COD crowd never really left COD for BF3, just look at the numbers. People that you see playing Metro and CQ 24/7 are just stat whores doing their thing, and not necessarily COD players.

You sound so sure. What we saw of naval combat on Shanghai is not the full extent of BF4's naval offerings.

I am sure considering the recent Q & A with DICE.

Q.What kind of water vehicles will there be?
A.Amphibious Assault will play a big role in Battlefield 4 as we've added attack boats like the RCB-90 (U.S.) and jet-skis. Controlling the sea in addition to the land and air will play a crucial role in victory.

And, if you need to bail out of your jet-ski or attack boat, now you’ll be able to dive underwater or sprint-swim away to escape pursuers. If the situation gets desperate, you’ll also be able to use one-handed weapons and one-handed gadgets while in water for the first time.

no mention of vehicles under water.

sorry but this naval stuff is a bit overhyped. It's just going to be boats and no subs.

This doesn't mean anything, necessarily, but when someone told the official BF twitter that they should add subs, they responded, "Funny you mention that..." or something similar.

I also doubt they'd choose to reveal submarines in a Q&A session.

RoKKeR

I am sure considering the recent Q & A with DICE.

no mention of vehicles under water.

They aren't going to confirm anything about their yet-to-be-revealed naval warfare gamemode in a random, throwaway interview on the Battlefield Blog. Come on now, this is standard operating procedure for pre-release information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom