• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New BIOSHOCK 2 Teaser Site Launches

Dax01 said:
I don't think Tenebaum will be in this game, or, at least, on the bad side. She worked so hard in the first game to get all the girls out of Rapture. Why would she be trying to bring them back seven years later, unless she somehow saved Rapture and made it a safe place?

If she stayed back and became "insane" from the isolation. Or maybe she needed to suit up as a "Big Daddy" to fight off the splicers while she stayed back and saved more Little Sisters. Then became permanently attached/insane.

All speculation of course.

Suavo

Is it just me or the girl in the photographs resembles Ken Levine as a kid photoshopped? :lol

I can't wait for this game.

EatChildren said:
Ugghhhhh. I swear to fuck, if this game goes down the
mutated adult females holding on to primal motherly instincts by kidnapping young girls
cliché bullshit path I'm going to be severely disappointed.

I have a wild feeling that this might be the path we're going down.
Transcript of one of the Diaries from the first Bioshock.

Transcript: What makes something like me? I look at genes all day long, and never do I see the blueprint of sin. I could blame the Germans, but in truth, I did not find tormentors in the Prison Camp, but kindred spirits. These children I brutalized have awoken something inside that for most is beautiful and natural, but in me, is an abomination... my maternal instinct.

Kilroy

Speaking of Little Sisters, if Bioshock 2 wants to let the player make moral choices, make the choices interesting.
Harvesting Little Sisters was about as traumatic as changing my socks. The consequence of harvesting the slightly creepy looking girls? A green cloud and a sluglike creature. Yeah, I'm soo feeling guily now.

Bernbaum

Kilroy said:
Speaking of Little Sisters, if Bioshock 2 wants to let the player make moral choices, make the choices interesting.
Harvesting Little Sisters was about as traumatic as changing my socks. The consequence of harvesting the slightly creepy looking girls? A green cloud and a sluglike creature. Yeah, I'm soo feeling guily now.
Two of the major themes in Bioshock were those of corruption and innocence. Ryan and his ideals were inherently corrupt, thus Rapture was doomed to spiral out of control. The advent of plasmid technology resulted in citizens willingly corrupting their bodies and sacrificing their humanity. As a counterpoint, I interpreted the little sisters as representing an image of true innocence: young naive girls corrupted by others for their own selfish purposes. Also, the player is assumed to be completely innocent upon his arrival
return
to Rapture, but ultimately corrupts himself against his free will and surrenders his innocence.

There was some complex symbolism there with those two themes that didn't really carry over to the gameplay. Also, no character in Rapture was truly morally good and evil- there was always a grey area of ambiguity when it came to each characters moral substance. It would be an improvement if the player actually felt some guilt or unease when it came to moral decisions, hopefully something that transcends the Mass Effect system of 'Upper Right for Good, Lower Right for Evil' moral responses.

Plasmids or abilities like them will appear in the sequel. I don't think we will play as Jack again, but I think there is more to Jack than what we saw in the first game. If there are detective puzzle-solving aspects to this game, that would allow for a multitude of creative gameplay possibilities. This game is from the people that made Thief, so they will certainly be able to handle those aspects well.

Bernbaum said:
Plasmids or abilities like them will appear in the sequel. I don't think we will play as Jack again, but I think there is more to Jack than what we saw in the first game. If there are detective puzzle-solving aspects to this game, that would allow for a multitude of creative gameplay possibilities. This game is from the people that made Thief, so they will certainly be able to handle those aspects well.
Speaking of puzzles, BioShock's gameplay would be perfect for puzzles in the next game. The way you can manipulate your environment (which I assuming will be of a greater degree in the sequel) would be perfect for puzzles.

Bernbaum

Site has been updated.

Just more of the same: Red lights, skinny monster, girls kidnapped.

The notes on the clippings indicate the ages of the girls are between 5 and 7 years old. The most important facts for me here are that the girls are no older than 7- the time that has passed since Rapture, and the that the girls look physically similar.

I think the Slim Daddy is after something quite specific in the girls it is targeting. It broke into an orphanage full of children yet only took one girl. We know that at least one girl was an orphan and nothing is mentioned about whether the other kidnappees were adopted.

I'm hoping for more information in subsequent updates that elaborates on the current clippings, hopefully not just more of the same.

Very intriguing, the most recent newspaper clipping describing the "monster" that attacked the orphanage sounds a lot like the Slowpro big daddy that was cut from Bioshock 1 shortly before release.

I have to wonder what could be causing the underwater lights? One report describes it as travelling at a speed of 30 knots which is pretty much unheard of for submarines (nuclear subs usually have a top speed of around 20 knots).

-Edit here is an image of the Slowpro for the curious
bioshock2lead.jpg

Odrion

Banned
One way a Bioshock sequel could be awesome:

Tannenbaum, nearing death and seeing that Rapture needs to be administered, constructs an A.I. version of herself to take control. The A.I. goes insane and calls itself Shodan.

Rapture turns into a Space Station for some reason. I don't know how, don't ask.

hobbitx

Wasn't there an original concept design of a thinner looking Big Daddy? I could almost swear I remember a drawing of a thinner one, but I can't find it anywhere.

I love the art deco stuff too, but I hope the
submarine has at least one far out psychedelic wing. I'd love to see some 60's style splicers, think Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Petrae

I'm pretty sure that a few others have done this too, but since this new site opened... I began replaying Bioshock as my interest has been rekindled.

The wait for Bioshock 2 is gonna suck.

FPS games are certainly not my forte, but the storyline and the atmosphere in Bioshock really held my interest. I'm hoping that the sequel will do the same.

Spoo

Petrae said:
I'm pretty sure that a few others have done this too, but since this new site opened... I began replaying Bioshock as my interest has been rekindled.

The wait for Bioshock 2 is gonna suck.

FPS games are certainly not my forte, but the storyline and the atmosphere in Bioshock really held my interest. I'm hoping that the sequel will do the same.

Yeah, I'm thinking about replaying BioShock myself. I could dig up my 360 copy (it's...somewhere), or maybe picking up the PS3 version for the extra shit.

Anyone know if the PS3 version is worth it (or does it have problems, etc?)

On Topic: So, there's some talk about GDC and this -- any chance of seeing BioShock 2 there -- like, gameplay videos, or some sort of unveiling?

Raziel

Spoo said:
Yeah, I'm thinking about replaying BioShock myself. I could dig up my 360 copy (it's...somewhere), or maybe picking up the PS3 version for the extra shit.

On Topic: So, there's some talk about GDC and this -- any chance of seeing BioShock 2 there -- like, gameplay videos, or some sort of unveiling?
the ps3 version had some graphical issues that were ultimately patched. the extra DLC included "challenge rooms" that were mostly frivolous. it did add new game+ though which was nice.

Bernbaum

Spoo said:

Well it looks like there are going to be 10 updates in total on the teaser site. We've had four so far, so that leaves six more days until the site is complete.

Whether this culminates in a reveal or trailer at the end of the somethinginthesea.com website campaign, we'll just have to wait and see. Otherwise, GDC is on from the 23rd of this month, and 2K have just started gearing up their PR campaign, so I would be surprised if we don't at least have some gameplay footage or shots by the end of the month.

Just looked at the website. I guess now we know that -- whatever this thing is -- it only has ONE red light coming from its head.

Never seen those Slowpro Big Daddies; I wish we could've had them in game.

Endless said:
The 'next month' page of PC Gamer issue 199:

http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_212329.jpg[/QUOTE]
Nice. When is this coming out?

Also, has it been said what consoles this is coming out for?

Puck

Banned
Dax01 said:
Also, has it been said what consoles this is coming out for?
PCPS360.

Definitely PS3 as the 'sea of dreams' trailer was on the ps3 bioshock demo (i am the guy who beat the game and posted the first trailer with my shitty camera phone on n4g)

Puck said:
PCPS360.

Definitely PS3 as the 'sea of dreams' trailer was on the ps3 bioshock demo (i am the guy who beat the game and posted the first trailer with my shitty camera phone on n4g)
360 definitely, but I am not as sure with the PS3. Hopefully, though.

ThatGuy

In the next Pc Games (Germany) will be as well a cover story about Bioshock 2 which will hit subscribers at the 23th March, so it is even sooner than Pc Gamer.

There was some Swedish Game Reactor site that said that the embargo was up in April so hopefully we will be seeing a lot more information soon.

MNC

Odrion said:
One way a Bioshock sequel could be awesome:

Tannenbaum, nearing death and seeing that Rapture needs to be administered, constructs an A.I. version of herself to take control. The A.I. goes insane and calls itself Shodan.

Rapture turns into a Space Station for some reason. I don't know how, don't ask.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF O__O

It has been said it all talkes place in the same universe, right?

Also rapture doesn't have to be the von braun.

I do remember Shodan talking about her children... The many, she created, but turned against her.

Really starting to get hyped already.

2K are doing a good job of managing the franchise so far - the teaser site is excellent, intriguing tidbits without giving too much away - bear in mind that we shouldn't take teasers/args etc without a wee bit salt, as the game can come along and have NOTHING to do with it (I'm looking at YOU Halo2 and ILoveBees :lol )

So what info do we have so far in summary:-

Girls between 5-7 being abducted by something fast, thin and tall that emits a red light from it's head.
The abuctors footprints are significant.
Something with a red light being spotted in the sea in different geographical locales.
An old man J Lynch who seems to know something.
Authorities that have dismissed Lynch as a nut.
The girls look similar.
Apparently no connections (see my earlier thoughts regarding Liscannor and the inventor of the submarine; this must have been a coincedence! :lol )

Anything else?

In terms of how this manifests into the actual game, it could be anything yet!

Spoo said:

The PS3 version is arguably the definitive version. It has slightly better graphics in some stages, includes some balance tweaks that the 360 version doesn't have (plasmid/tonic costs), and includes the amazing Survivor mode which is the most incredible way to experience Bioshock.

Also the DLC Challenge Rooms are pretty nifty and are probably worth the ten bucks.

FrankT

Puck said:
PCPS360.

And hit Live that same week. Pretty safe to assume PCPS360.

Bernbaum

Jtyettis said:
And hit Live that same week. Pretty safe to assume PCPS360.

Yup, never thought for a second it would be any other way. 2K have a solid new IP in Bioshock, and now is time to make teh monies.

I'll be getting BS2 for PC, having played the original on consoles and PC.

Kotaku has something up about a rumor regarding something new called
Big Sisters
. Pretty interesting, and could take things in some odd new directions. I hope the now leaderless and wholly isolated Rapture has become something of a self-perpetuating ecosystem by now, with spontaneous changes made that nobody really planned.

badcrumble said:
Kotaku has something up about a rumor regarding something new called
Big Sisters
. Pretty interesting, and could take things in some odd new directions. I hope the now leaderless and wholly isolated Rapture has become something of a self-perpetuating ecosystem by now, with spontaneous changes made that nobody really planned.

It will definitely be interesting to see how Rapture has fared over the last seven years given that it was already starting to leak in some areas and a lot of it's basic infrastructure was in shambles.

Swimming is tough to do well, especially in first person, but I hope they include some of that in Bioshock 2. I'm also looking forward to seeing how badly things have gone for the Splicers when they've been denied ADAM for so much longer.

But yeah, as far as we know, Tenenbaum is really the only sane scientific mind left alive in Rapture, and we don't know what happened to her. I doubt that she suddenly turned evil - my guess is that she's dead. But I wouldn't be too surprised to see something about a 'second site' or something of the sort - they'll want some new locations and new personalities. Granted, there's clearly more of Rapture than what we saw in the first game, but we've pretty much already covered the most important areas (Hephaestus, just about everything relating to smuggling and the Sisters/Daddies research).

Oni Jazar

I hope that's not the official logo. The original Bioshock logo is too cool and well thought out to have the sequel just slap a "2" in front of it.

Oni Jazar said:
I hope that's not the official logo. The original Bioshock logo is too cool and well thought out to have the sequel just slap a "2" in front of it.
The metal is now corroded pretty badly (though I really like the barnacles from the teaser and hope those make it onto the final logo as well).

It will definitely be interesting to see how Rapture has fared over the last seven years given that it was already starting to leak in some areas and a lot of it's basic infrastructure was in shambles.

One angle I thought that would be interesting to pursue is the CIA allusion that Ryan mentioned - he thought that the protagonist was a CIA spook set on infiltrating Rapture.

I was always quite interested in how fully Ryan could have realistically severed his government ties - what if Rapture was in reality a government experiment (even if Ryan was not aware).

This is possibly the most exciting thing about Bioshock 2 - there are so many ways they could take the story and mythology.

gollumsluvslave said:
One angle I thought that would be interesting to pursue is the CIA allusion that Ryan mentioned - he thought that the protagonist was a CIA spook set on infiltrating Rapture.

I was always quite interested in how fully Ryan could have realistically severed his government ties - what if Rapture was in reality a government experiment (even if Ryan was not aware).

This is possibly the most exciting thing about Bioshock 2 - there are so many ways they could take the story and mythology.
It's also the most worriesome. I am most concerned that the story in BioShock 2 will be bad/decent, or won't be as good as the story in BioShock.

Kilroy

N4G has another piece up, which judging by the description is ridiculous.
"
We had Big Daddys and Little Sisters in BioShock 1. Now we have confirmed Big Sisters, so surely it makes sense that we also have… Little Daddys?

The image to the left is called LittleOne.jpg and can be found (if you look hard enough) on the new BioShock 2 teaser site, SomethingInTheSea.com. If you trace a line with your mouse from the X marked on southern Ireland all the way to New York, approximately half way across a small dot appears (very hard to see unless zoomed). Click on it then trace from here south (towards South America) until another dot appears. This is the weird bit. Apparently you have to have a microphone plugged in and make the noise of a Little Sister. If you do it right you then get a link to this picture.
"
N4G.com

Kilroy said:
"
We had Big Daddys and Little Sisters in BioShock 1. Now we have confirmed Big Sisters, so surely it makes sense that we also have… Little Daddys?

The image to the left is called LittleOne.jpg and can be found (if you look hard enough) on the new BioShock 2 teaser site, SomethingInTheSea.com. If you trace a line with your mouse from the X marked on southern Ireland all the way to New York, approximately half way across a small dot appears (very hard to see unless zoomed). Click on it then trace from here south (towards South America) until another dot appears. This is the weird bit. Apparently you have to have a microphone plugged in and make the noise of a Little Sister. If you do it right you then get a link to this picture.
"
N4G.com
I really hope this is true!!!!!!!!

Spoo

Kilroy said:
Me too. Gaming really needs more midgets with power drills and diving suits.

Yeah, er,
a little daddy is pretty fucking stupid sounding, honestly. Hope it's fake or at least N4G is ill-informed...

It's also the most worriesome. I am most concerned that the story in BioShock 2 will be bad/decent, or won't be as good as the story in BioShock.

Well yes, there is that - but I think having the person responsible for Fort Frolic as a lead on the game is a good start no?

To be honest, I don't think we can disregard how much the original tails off in terms of story after 'Would you kindly?'

Of course, it's hard to quantify how much of that was the story, and how much of that was the gameplay, but it's undenaible to even the biggest Bioshock fans that the final 3rd suffers in many areas.

I prefer to see the glass half-full and concentrate on how much can they improve - and there is plenty IMO.

gollumsluvslave said:
Well yes, there is that - but I think having the person responsible for Fort Frolic as a lead on the game is a good start no?

I prefer to see the glass half-full and concentrate on how much can they improve - and there is plenty IMO.
I prefer to be on the optimistic side of things too, but the guy who was in charge of Fort Frolic didn't have anything to do with the writing, did he? Hopefully whatever Levine is doing to help out, it is with the story.

deepbrown

Kilroy said:
"

"
N4G.com
N4G is a news aggregate, with news from around the web. N4G does not write its own stories. This story is from NegativeGamer, and the way to get the image has been confirmed.

Kilroy

Disregarding that rumor and thinking about the first one, about the
female
Big Daddies.
Did Bioshock ever describe the gender of Big Daddies. Yes, humans in steam sealed diving suits but other than that?
Big Sisters sounds equally retarded, if you ask me.

MNC

I'm still not getting the toe thing... It's rounded and doesn't have a sole... But the rest of the foot does. Shitty shoes with 1 toe out? :lol I dunno :(

Also tenen is dutch for toe. Conspiracy <_< >_>

deepbrown said:
N4G is a news aggregate, with news from around the web. N4G does not write its own stories. This story is from NegativeGamer, and the way to get the image has been confirmed.

Wut?

That rumor is clearly bogus. I am surprised so many people have been taken in by it. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Big Sister" rumor is fake too.

deepbrown

deepbrown said:
I was had lol. Bastard Negative Gamer. :lol

I personally don't see how these scrawny big daddies are going to even the slightest bit intimida--

Little is known of the kidnapper except that the individual may be unusually thin, over two meters in height and should be considered armed and dangerous.

ssssshhhhiiiit

One bad thing about this coming out this holiday season is it means that whatever Levine and Shawn Elliott are working on in 2K Boston probably isn't coming out this year :(

Top Bottom