• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bloodborne (PS4, Miyazaki, From) details from Famitsu's preview and interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
216liap0.gif

Resilient

30fps

Why are you doing this to me. After DS1 and 2 in god awesome 60fps, we have reverted back to 30fps.

30 f p fucking s

Why.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
hopefully with Japan Studios' help they can lock it in at solid 30 fps. the system can handle it, but From has never really focused on keeping the fps solid in their games.

popyea

The fact that you're more often timing your actions than reacting with them makes 30fps/1080p the smarter option imo. The benefits are more tangible, especially if From pack in as much detail as Dark Souls.

duckroll

・1080p/30fpsになる予定 doesn't really mean 'targeting', that's just translation liberties.

It literally says that they are expecting it to be 1080p/30fps. The game is still in development. It's not a liberty, it's what is being said. You can argue about a variety of different possible translations like "They are expecting it to run in 1080p/30fps" but that's really just splitting hairs. Does it say "The game is currently running at 1080p locked at 30fps"? Certainly not.

Resilient

I'm surprised so many people are ok with 60 especially considering the heat some games for targeting 30 these days. Just because it's From I'm not excusing it. Ds2 was optimised well and ran and an excellent 60fps. I can't give this a free pass just because it's FROM.

I'm gonna buy it anyway but what an absolute killer.

Bloodborne is the cover story of this week's Famitsu, and there's an interview with Miyazaki in it as well. Here are some details reported by a Japanese blog who got the magazine early.

- Spring 2015 release window
- They started work on this right after finishing Artorias of the Abyss, targeting Sony's new hardware
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- They're targeting 30fps at 1080p
- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast"
- There will be melee and long range weapons (guns) this time
- Character customization is confirmed
- There will be no map display in the game
- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together

Edit: In case anyone missed it earlier, here's the official game blurb from Sony: http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bloodborne-ps4

shut-up-and-take-my-money-anime-version_o_646840.gif

Dio

Banned
It literally says that they are expecting it to be 1080p/30fps. The game is still in development. It's not a liberty, it's what is being said. You can argue about a variety of different possible translations like "They are expecting it to run in 1080p/30fps" but that's really just splitting hairs. Does it say "The game is currently running at 1080p locked at 30fps"? Certainly not.
No, I know that, but people think 'targeting' is shorthand for 'variable FPS' these days, and they didn't literally say the word targeting, is all. It's not your fault or anything.

The_Poet

Banned
The graphics are so bad on consoles that PC could still run at 1080p30 and still look a 1000x better. I don't care what the resolution or fps is, I'm buying this game day 1, don't even need to see any gameplay.

The first part of your sentence didn't make much sense to me :/

And so sure about buying without seeing game play? I am also excited for this but noone should be free from criticism, not even From Soft.

From Reddit: (Probably fake but who knows, he doesn't seem to be a troll)

I was at a Sony conference a while back where they showed this game, been dying to talk about it! It really is a spiritual successor, with bonfires and fog doors making a comeback. HUD looks exactly like souls.
Main difference is this game is built around co-op, four players. Also this means real co-op, not summoning each other and being unable to play with friends consistently! Can't wait until the full reveal!
EDIT: Ok so they didn't show much at the time. Just a short gameplay trailer, cuts of character exploring the world, fighting some enemies. Movement looked very similar to dark souls, but the character seemed to be dashing instead of rolling. Era seemed vampire hunter ish (trenchcoats and shotguns). Sounds in the trailer sounded identical to dark souls (slashing sounds and other sfx) but I'm thinking they were probably place holders. Bonfires are back, different look but seem to serve the same purpose. Fog doors as we know are back.
Aside from the trailer the rest was screenshots showing the multiplayer elements. You could see multiple characters on screen with gamertags hovering above the characters. Definitely seems like multiplayer is a running in the traditional sense. No ghostly aura on any of the characters and the speaker did specifically talk about playing with friends.
Might be targeting a slightly more casual audience, got the impression the fighting was more forgiving but again it's hard to tell from a short gameplay trailer. Hopefully they will show more today.

duckroll

No, I know that, but people think 'targeting' is shorthand for 'variable FPS' these days, and they didn't literally say the word targeting, is all. It's not your fault or anything.

Is the word "targeting" really getting such a bad rep from previous interviews? I guess I'll change some of the wording then. Although, in the long run it probably doesn't matter since this is From Software we're talking about. If Miyazaki doesn't have an area filled with poison and death traps which runs at 10fps I think it'll feel weird! Lol.

mnannola

Does anyone really think this is hitting in Spring 2015? With no gameplay being shown I am pretty skeptical.

This will be a late summer / fall 2015 release, I can smell it.

Shengar

I'm surprised so many people are ok with 60 especially considering the heat some games for targeting 30 these days. Just because it's From I'm not excusing it. Ds2 was optimised well and ran and an excellent 60fps. I can't give this a free pass just because it's FROM.

Different people, different priorities. I'm bummed out by this too. Now I can only hope that FromSoft and SCEJ PR talk wouldn't dwelve into deep stupid shit like saying they want the game to be more cinematic.

HeelPower

I amnot worried about difficulty in the traditional sense.

Miyazaki doesn't "add" difficulty like they did in DS2.Difficulty is a result of the overall design not necessarily a goal when making these games.

Shengar

Is the word "targeting" really getting such a bad rep from previous interviews? I guess I'll change some of the wording then. Although, in the long run it probably doesn't matter since this is From Software we're talking about. If Miyazaki doesn't have an area filled with poison and death traps which runs at 10fps I think it'll feel weird! Lol.
I actually laughed that one
Mandatory co-op would totally ruin this for me.

Hope that rumor is completely and utterly false.
Look at that last part where he said more casual audience? It's already debunked in this very thread where Miyazaki said the gameplay will revolved around struggle between life and death.
Does anyone really think this is hitting in Spring 2015? With no gameplay being shown I am pretty skeptical.

This will be a late summer / fall 2015 release, I can smell it.
There already leaked gameplay footage albeit looking very early build. The lack of gameplay footage must've been savored for other event, quite possibly TGS.

I prefer 60 fps in every single situation if given the choice. That does not mean I think 30 fps looks like shit like some people tend to say.

And Ds2 was optimized well for PCs. It ran like shit on consoles, specially the PS3.

Were the Souls games 30fps or 60fps? I've never thought about it before. I suppose with the slower combat style, it's not as big of a deal as it might be in, say, Bayonetta. I've been happy with the series so far, so if they're all 30fps, then no big deal.

From Reddit: (Probably fake but who knows, he doesn't seem to be a troll)
That is obviously fake.

Gorillaz

Miyazaki said he wanted to make a more warmer game after demon/dark, im a little interested in what he meant by it?

Also I love the way they redefined MP and coop in souls, and thats what has me the most interested this time around as well

Edit: lmao bonfires ain't coming back

HeelPower

Bonfires is crazy talk, that's not happening.

yeah probably blood puddles this time.

Bonfires are tied to Dark Souls lore.Don't think there is a place for them.

Look at that last part where he said more casual audience? It's already debunked in this very thread where Miyazaki said the gameplay will revolved around struggle between life and death.

yeah this was such a silly remark lol

Dio

Banned
Were the Souls games 30fps or 60fps? I've never thought about it before. I suppose with the slower combat style, it's not as big of a deal as it might be in, say, Bayonetta. I've been happy with the series so far, so if they're all 30fps, then no big deal.

The only time a Souls game was ever released as 60fps was Dark Souls 2 PC.

duckroll

Huh, I don't get it. The 3 souls games didn't have map display either so why do they have to iterate this?

Probably because this doesn't have Souls in the title, and as the first marketing wave for the game they want to make sure core fans understand that it will be the same as the Souls games. Why would they need to specify character customization? It's to clarify stuff and put people at ease.

Ridley327

That is obviously fake.

They've targeted 30 fps previously, with mixed results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom