• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Ryuukan

How old are the kids? King of Tokyo is a great family Dice chucker.

How old are the kids? My girls have bern playing Machi Koro since 7&8 yrs old. There's a lot of math involved, just fyi. Also, it can get pretty cut throat. Some kids are better with that playstyle than others. Great game though. Easily a family top 3 for us!

8 and 6

I see Hero Realms has a co-op set coming too, thats a definite buy

Chorazin

hi boardgame gaf
I played some of the more popular boardgames back in college and enjoyed them (catan, munchkin, some eagle ones that I forget the name of) and now I'm trying to get back into some since my older son is old enough to play. I played hero realms with him and he really enjoyed it, still wanting to play after 3 games even. Also bought Clank and the expansion but haven't opened it yet.

The FFG LCGs look interesting (I love the non-random card game thing). Arkham Horror sounds great but I don't care for Americana settings and was never a Lovecraft fan. Is that the only co-op one they offer?

This Machi Koro game looks like a good pick for family fun, the bright lights & city version is the one to buy?

Gloomhaven looks great but I fear its too intense of a game.

Yeah, that one is the best version of Machi Koro to get!

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn might be up your alley if you're looking for a fantasy LCG. :)

chifanpoe

How old are the kids? My girls have bern playing Machi Koro since 7&8 yrs old. There's a lot of math involved, just fyi. Also, it can get pretty cut throat. Some kids are better with that playstyle than others. Great game though. Easily a family top 3 for us!

Yes it is a great game for kids.

Mine are 6 and 11 and we have been playing it over a year now. We have the base game with both expansions and have logged over 60 games of it. The cut-throat part is what they like the best (red/purple cards). Because of Machi Koro, and the player interaction it brings, my kids now play Chicago Express and The Great Zimbabwe. Once my copy of Glory to Rome shows up I will introduce them to it and then work our way up to Food Chain Magnate.

Kaladin

Decided to do something fun with part of my tax return and I backed Gloomhaven. I'm only just now hearing about this game but from everything I have seen in the past day or so I am in love with it. I've never seen a game with so much content in the base box. It also helps that it is a Legacy game and I've had my eye on those but haven't seen one that appealed to me before now. Looking forward to this.

Decided to do something fun with part of my tax return and I backed Gloomhaven. I'm only just now hearing about this game but from everything I have seen in the past day or so I am in love with it. I've never seen a game with so much content in the base box. It also helps that it is a Legacy game and I've had my eye on those but haven't seen one that appealed to me before now. Looking forward to this.

It's a great game especially if you have someone you can play with consistently. I played a mission or two every few days with my daughter and we had a great time unlocking maps and upgrading our characters. (though mine seem to go up slowly compare to her). She loves it because no dice and each scenario can be played in an hour or two.

Kaladin

It's a great game especially if you have someone you can play with consistently. I played a mission or two every few days with my daughter and we had a great time unlocking maps and upgrading our characters. (though mine seem to go up slowly compare to her). She loves it because no dice and each scenario can be played in an hour or two.

It is perfect for me there because I always game with my wife and it's difficult sometimes to find 2 player games.

Blizzard

Banned
Ouch, speaking of Gloomhaven -- we played today after not playing in forever. It took a bit of extra time to review the rules, but I thought we overall did fine besides me continuously forgetting to remove my summon and having to do it later. Fortunately that made basically no difference.

BUT, the huge thing I didn't realize is that you're supposed to look up treasure tiles as soon as you loot them. Since you can't gain items immediately I figured all treasure is looked up at the end of the scenario. But no, some treasure instantly gives you really bad effects. :(
One of us would have taken 3 damage + poison.

So instead of finishing the scenario with one of us exhausted and the balance being decent, I'm not sure if we could have successfully finished it and looted the treasure that was actually good. But since 2+ hours is so long and we don't want to replay a basic kill all enemies mission, I suppose I have to be content with "well, that cheating was out of ignorance."

Ouch, speaking of Gloomhaven -- we played today after not playing in forever. It took a bit of extra time to review the rules, but I thought we overall did fine besides me continuously forgetting to remove my summon and having to do it later. Fortunately that made basically no difference.

BUT, the huge thing I didn't realize is that you're supposed to look up treasure tiles as soon as you loot them. Since you can't gain items immediately I figured all treasure is looked up at the end of the scenario. But no, some treasure instantly gives you really bad effects. :(
One of us would have taken 3 damage + poison.

So instead of finishing the scenario with one of us exhausted and the balance being decent, I'm not sure if we could have successfully finished it and looted the treasure that was actually good. But since 2+ hours is so long and we don't want to replay a basic kill all enemies mission, I suppose I have to be content with "well, that cheating was out of ignorance."

Apply that to your next adventure, say the player got food poisoning on the meal in the morning :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually finally had a month worth posting after basically a few months with only occasional board gaming. :p Destiny wins mostly because I went to a couple tournaments at pre-release events, but Arkham LCG will continue to be in the top 3 for the foreseeable future since we play it almost every week, sometimes twice. Pandemic Iberia was surprisingly challenging even for Pandemic vets, so we had to play it a couple times to eventually beat it. :D I really like what they did with the game, but the theme is so painfully dry that I'll probably continue to play Pandemic Dice instead in most cases. Clank! was my favorite new game of the month.

Ad0rKRy.jpg

XShagrath

I started logging my plays again this year using BG Stats as well. I love going back and looking at my stats for the month/year. Really nice little app.

I'm at 99 plays this year in 44 different games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I started logging my plays again this year using BG Stats as well. I love going back and looking at my stats for the month/year. Really nice little app.

I'm at 99 plays this year in 44 different games.

Ooh you've got me beat on game variety but I win on plays! :p 147/38 w/ 49 different players.

XShagrath

Ooh you've got me beat on game variety but I win on plays! :p 147/38 w/ 49 different players.

Only 8 different players (including me) here. 5 locations. Not playing competitive games means I end up playing with the same people pretty much all the time.

Winning games so far are AH:LCG (21 plays) and Gloomhaven (9 plays).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Only 8 different players (including me) here. 5 locations. Not playing competitive games means I end up playing with the same people pretty much all the time.

Winning games so far are AH:LCG (21 plays) and Gloomhaven (9 plays).
Yeah Destiny gave me +10 to different players though I still have a pretty high number regardless because like a virus I try to get games to infiltrate everywhere -- work, family, friends.... :p

I'm really interested in getting into LOTR LCG

It's good, just buy in order and you really don't feel like you need to buy it all to be completed or such. Each expansion pack is stand alone material, just buy it in release order to have the cards you are "expected" to have access to. I stopped buying when I couldn't fit anymore in the single box, and it's tons of content to last forever, and they kept pumping out cards for years after that still.

Ohnonono

It's good, just buy in order and you really don't feel like you need to buy it all to be completed or such. Each expansion pack is stand alone material, just buy it in release order to have the cards you are "expected" to have access to. I stopped buying when I couldn't fit anymore in the single box, and it's tons of content to last forever, and they kept pumping out cards for years after that still.

This is good advice. Once you have that first cycle of packs you can really just start to jump around a bit more with 1 Deluxe set + the packs for that set. If Arkham LCG isn't peoples thing, it is a close second as far as solo card games.

Karkador

Banned

I'm mainly interested in going for the fellowship/two towers/return of the king sets. Is it okay to skip to those from the core set?

Ohnonono

I'm mainly interested in going for the fellowship/two towers/return of the king sets. Is it okay to skip to those from the core set?

I think that is meant to work pretty well. Just know that if it feels TOO hard there are more card packs available that would help.

Karkador

Banned
Right, I mean of the earlier sets.

I'm not opposed to exploring non-trilogy stuff in the game, I am just trying to minimize it becoming an insane money sink (especially since there's already quite a lot to buy for the trilogy sets)

Ohnonono

Right, I mean of the earlier sets.

I'm not opposed to exploring non-trilogy stuff in the game, I am just trying to minimize it becoming an insane money sink (especially since there's already quite a lot to buy for the trilogy sets)

An LCG with that much stuff out that is good is a money sink. LOL

I kid... as long as you have the core set everything else should be fine plugging in. That cycle of packs after the core I remember having some good cards though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need some kind of LCG sale event :p

Core set + 6 deluxe expansions...

Depends on how much you want to spend. I mean, someone on BGG has everything currently available (minus some NM decks) for $500. Check on the Facebook groups and reddit and you may find someone looking to unload a big collection.

Karkador

Banned
Depends on how much you want to spend. I mean, someone on BGG has everything currently available (minus some NM decks) for $500. Check on the Facebook groups and reddit and you may find someone looking to unload a big collection.

Yeah $500 is way more than I'm willing to spend.

On MM the Core + 5 expansions (final one has yet to release) is $161, which is still a bit crazy to jump into, but a lot less than what a lot of people ask for with their sets. I just don't think many people are looking to unload what I want (especially not right now).

It'd be nice if I had decided to do this before the Asmodee consortium kicked the online prices up

Is there a reason you are focusing on the deluxe sets only? They are just larger sets. Individual expansion packs are nice as they are cheap and usually contained a new hero in each pack along with the scenario.

The Saga expansions are also made to be kinda self contained with the core set, many times including unique mechanics and rules for just those packaged scenarios. The non saga material I enjoyed cause it was all made to mesh together without having special mechanics just for select scenarios.

Karkador

Banned
Is there a reason you are focusing on the deluxe sets only? They are just larger sets. Individual expansion packs are nice as they are cheap and usually contained a new hero in each pack along with the scenario.

The Saga expansions are also made to be kinda self contained with the core set, many times including unique mechanics and rules for just those packaged scenarios. The non saga material I enjoyed cause it was all made to mesh together without having special mechanics just for select scenarios.

Because I want to play through the LOTR story (Fellowship/Two Towers/Return of the King). Is that not the way to do it?

Ohnonono

Because I want to play through the LOTR story (Fellowship/Two Towers/Return of the King). Is that not the way to do it?

You can play it however you want. When the game was first released the Saga Expansions were not a thing. "Normal" LOTR LCG is Core+first round of expansion packs, then a deluxe starts off a new story and you continue through the small releases for that deluxe. Sagas do not have a set of small packs that come after them. I personally like the non-saga stuff the most, but to each their own.

Karkador

Banned
You can play it however you want. When the game was first released the Saga Expansions were not a thing. "Normal" LOTR LCG is Core+first round of expansion packs, then a deluxe starts off a new story and you continue through the small releases for that deluxe. Sagas do not have a set of small packs that come after them. I personally like the non-saga stuff the most, but to each their own.

Tell me more. What do you like about the non-saga stuff?

Ohnonono

Tell me more. What do you like about the non-saga stuff?

Less special rules, thematically I think they did better with the setting by exploring stuff on their own. I am also just a fan of the deluxe+pack thing. You end up with nice sized quest chains and stuff. That stuff is less important in LOTR than Arkham horror though. It is mostly down to personal taste. Most of the player cards are compatible between Saga and normal stuff.

Either are cool, but I like the idea of "new" stories better than playing through the trilogy stuff.

If you want to, then yea just the saga sets is fine. I just prefer the non saga stuff, as it felt more customizable and varied in content. Saga sets typically included special characters/rules for specific scenario content that couldn't be carried over, plus often new rules for just that saga set. The regular non saga stuff was made to be all compatible and lot more customization mixing. It just feels more dynamic in how varied you can get with the game. Saga stuff was more packaged scenarios to replicate the movie story lines. Some of the stuff in the saga sets can not be used outside of the box set it came in. While most other sets are interchangeable.

Might be best to just get a core set and play the game with that, and see how you like it. Cause it's more of whats in the core set with regular sets.

I guess what I was asking is did FFG officially announce they're ending content for LOTR? I must have missed that if so...

The final Saga set is being released, and since the Saga sets are running the story through the books, it's the end of those. They didn't state anywhere that they are not releasing anymore for the game though in regular expansions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What are other good places to do board games besides a library?

Coffee shops if they have the right table size. Some supermarkets like Whole Foods even have open areas though you may want to check with the manager first if you're hosting a big group. Some people do sandwich shops like Panera especially if they have a little secluded space (again check w/ manager). We have Game Kastle down here which is amazing so that's where we go, but then again I don't really do open gaming that's more just for my wife and I on an occasional date night.

zulux21

Pandemic: Iberia is $25 at funagain games.

if you sign up for their email list you can get a $5 off $25 code.

end result was it was $27 shipped for me after the code made the $7 shipping only $2.

I figure the new rules in it could be interesting, and since it's a limited run it will likely eventually become a very expensive game so why not get it lol.

Did anyone here ever play the Harry Potter deck builder?

Yeah. I don't think it's very good. It's not horrible but there are many many better deck building games out there now including cooperative ones.

Two major gripes: There is no way to cull cards from your deck during the game so you just stop buying stuff because your deck gets shitty.

Every game just adds more bosses that you have to beat including all of the previous ones so each game gets longer and longer.

zulux21

What are other good places to do board games besides a library?

Personally I like playing games at my wife's work.
but I doubt most work places have tons of conference rooms and unlimited juice/tea/popcorn and allow you to play games after work at work >.>

Top Bottom