• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

XShagrath

From the unpacking I've seen, only 2 hero cards and the dice
Again, I can be misremembering. I haven't played since the first set (AvX), and have a couple seeled booster boxes of the X-Men set just sitting in the closet since I got burned out.

The first set had Mjolnir and Vibranium Shield in boosters. Those aren't characters, so I am pretty sure they are action cards that are only usable by the player that includes them on their team.

Karkador

Banned
Again, I can be misremembering. I haven't played since the first set (AvX), and have a couple seeled booster boxes of the X-Men set just sitting in the closet since I got burned out.

The first set had Mjolnir and Vibranium Shield in boosters. Those aren't characters, so I am pretty sure they are action cards that are only usable by the player that includes them on their team.

They're not 'characters' in the story sense, but I think they're effectively classified as characters in the game because they have custom dice specific to their cards.

The regular action cards use the white/neutral dice from the starter set, so they can't put them in a booster. It might have been more clear to call them "shared cards" or something, since "action" is a pretty broad term in the context of a game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well Day 1A for Destiny starts today at 13:30.. I have both HanRey and JabbaDooku ready to go and still undecided. I've been practicing on JabbaDooku for 3 weeks straight but probably have 50+ games of HanRey under my belt. I was worried that burst was going to be a problem with lots of HanRey and ReyPoe, so I brought some to the party... now I'm just thinking it won't matter what I play.. and that good rolls and strong play will win no matter what. Hmmm
Let us know how it goes!

Experien

Opened one pack of Spirit of Rebellion; I got R2 and two locations.

• War-torn Streets (Jedha): Claim - Discard a random card from an opponent's hand.
  • Ewok Village (Endor): Claim - Remove all shields from a character.

Ewok Village seems good against shield horders.

This is a very long shot, but I am looking for another player or two for a Twilight Imperium game in the Charlotte/Gastonia area, tomorrow (Saturday May 6) at 11am, at a local gaming shop.

If anyone is interested then please message me. Right now we are sitting at 4 players, which is okay, but I would really like to have a bigger game.

I am using many (most) of the gameplay tweaks recommended by the fan-made Shattered Ascension project. If you're not familiar with them then that's fine (they're easy to pick up); if you've never even played Twilight Imperium then that's still fine, we can show you how to play. Just be prepared for a long game that will take most of the day.

Thanks folks!

sneaky77

This is a very long shot, but I am looking for another player or two for a Twilight Imperium game in the Charlotte/Gastonia area, tomorrow (Saturday May 6) at 11am, at a local gaming shop.

If anyone is interested then please message me. Right now we are sitting at 4 players, which is okay, but I would really like to have a bigger game.

I am using many (most) of the gameplay tweaks recommended by the fan-made Shattered Ascension project. If you're not familiar with them then that's fine (they're easy to pick up); if you've never even played Twilight Imperium then that's still fine, we can show you how to play. Just be prepared for a long game that will take most of the day.

Thanks folks!

Interesting, which store?

Gurrry

Got my first box of SOR yesterday. Got Obiwan, Ig88, Bowcaster, Rocketlauncher, Slave I, and Force Lighnting. Decent box. No palpatine though :(

Im trying to come up with a deck to run tonight. I have some trades lined up to do as well. I really want to run a FN-2199/Aurra Sing deck. Or Ig88/FN-2199.

Anyone have any tips?

Got my first box of SOR yesterday. Got Obiwan, Ig88, Bowcaster, Rocketlauncher, Slave I, and Force Lighnting. Decent box. No palpatine though :(

Im trying to come up with a deck to run tonight. I have some trades lined up to do as well. I really want to run a FN-2199/Aurra Sing deck. Or Ig88/FN-2199.

Anyone have any tips?

I got the same picks but I also got a U-Wing, Handcrafted Light Bow and another Palpatine. Then again I also bought two booster boxes, I had only one on preorder but they had leftover stock available so I couldn't resist.

Gurrry

I got the same picks but I also got a U-Wing, Handcrafted Light Bow and another Palpatine. Then again I also bought two booster boxes, I had only one on preorder but they had leftover stock available so I couldn't resist.

Yeah im waiting for my 2nd box in the mail. I really wanted to wait and see what I pull from that before making trades, but I want to run some new stuff for tonight and need to come up with something.

I always feel so sketched about trades. No matter what, I always feel like im getting screwed over by more savvy players.

Yeah im waiting for my 2nd box in the mail. I really wanted to wait and see what I pull from that before making trades, but I want to run some new stuff for tonight and need to come up with something.

I always feel so sketched about trades. No matter what, I always feel like im getting screwed over by more savvy players.

Yeah I understand, I was luckily enough to trade with a regular at the store that was really friendly especially to newcomers. He traded me Jabba, Han Solo, General Veers and Crime Lord for my U-Wing, Lightbow and Darth Vader, Dark Apprentice (I ended up pulling 3 Darth Vaders). So far the community for Destiny is really friendly, at least in my area anyways. They're always willing to help out new people. The MTG community on the other hand is a bit more unwelcoming from what I've seen, one of the reasons why I sold my collection and just moved over to Destiny instead.

Gurrry

Yeah I understand, I was luckily enough to trade with a regular at the store that was really friendly especially to newcomers. He traded me Jabba, Han Solo, General Veers and Crime Lord for my U-Wing, Lightbow and Darth Vader, Dark Apprentice (I ended up pulling 3 Darth Vaders). So far the community for Destiny is really friendly, at least in my area anyways. They're always willing to help out new people. The MTG community on the other hand is a bit more unwelcoming from what I've seen, one of the reasons why I sold my collection and just moved over to Destiny instead.

Oh yeah our community is actually really awesome too. Its just my dumb brain that tells me "no dont do it youre getting ripped off!" even if its a good deal.

Im going to trade a Rocket Launcher for 2 rares. I have 3 Launchers (2 from pre-release and 1 from my box) and I really want a pair of Aurra Sings and an Fn-2199. Im gonna try and get 3 for 1 but if not, 2 rares for 1 legendary seems like a fair deal too.

I haven't really cracked the game strategy yet, either. Are you narrowly missing the target, or are you like deeply broke?

The first two games I just sucked really bad and was always going to go broke first. Yesterday, I was doing pretty well, but the game went about 2 rounds longer than I expected and left me with a turn I couldn't deal with. I then made a bad gamble. I thought another player was likely to barely survive their debts, and beat my score, while I was in a scenario where I was going to bankrupt if I didn't get money. I made them an offer in hopes of them countering to protect their lead, but I was wrong in my guess as to their cash in hand, and they were already going even more bankrupt than I was, so they just accepted in the hopes that someone else would fund their survival. I should have tried to get money elsewhere I think. I don't know. This game goes against all of my gaming instincts!

Star Wars Rebellion: Rise of the Empire Expansion.
I'm really excited for this, I always thought Rogue One would be a good theme for an expansion but I didn't think they would do it because the game is already meaty enough.
I really need to give the game another try. I played with a friend, I was rebels and he was empire. I lost every battle, lost Leia to the Dark side, only completed like one objective (maybe two) and somehow still won the game. It was a very anti climactic ending, and I didn't really feel like I earned it. I hid on Ryloth to start, but deployed nearly nothing there and everything onto Dac on the other side of the board. By the time his fleet was moving to Ryloth I relocated to Dac and he didn't have enough time to get to me.

EYEL1NER

I just bought the Zenbins.
Ha! I haven't bought my set yet; haven't had an order ready to go from CSI or MM yet. First thing I said when I saw someone post the announcement on FB was "Awww, what does this mean for Zen Bins?" Maybe they'll release two small trays that can fit in the Rogue One box that hold the new Rebel and Imperial stuff?

Thanks folks!
That sounds awesome. I've got a local X-Wing tourney tomorrow or I would think about making the two hour drive up to Charlotte. But then again, two hours to get there, something like an 8 hour game, and then a two hour drive back? Twilight Imperium already fills the day without needing to tack on 4 hours of driving. I do want to try it one of these days though; my copy has sat under my bed since I got it in summer of 2014. I imagine that there are some people in my FB game group who might like to play but I can't imagine the ones who would play could make the drive from Columbia or Florence or Sumter on short-notice. Hope you find a fifth and sixth player.

Give the regional sub-forums on BGG a try though. There are people in the CLT-area who lurk on the SouthEast subforum. You might get some of the people from the Triangle to drive down too.

Man in shitty kickstarter news, Prodos put out the 2nd edition of AvP board game, which has sold out everywhere it looks, and is supposed to be fixed up version of the original release..... course whats shitty is that there is still folks who kickstarted the original edition of the game who have not got their pledges yet of what is going to be obsolete? lol?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
One game a week will take you around a year. 57 plays was our final count. Towards the end I wanted it to be over for a few reasons

1) I wanted to play some of the other new stuff we had got in
2) I wanted to take it down off the table, where it had been for 3 months lol
3) At a certain point, it became much easier and there really wan't anything left to work towards. Getting checkmarks was pointless and I was lvl 9 so xp was pointless as well. My character was so effective I didn't really want anything from the shop either so I didn't really care about money.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the comments. I assume you tried most of the classes (or weren't interested in unlocking the other classes because you wanted to hasten the end then.

I don't get to play that often and I mix in other games so I'm hoping it doesn't get stale.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Thanks for the comments. I assume you tried most of the classes (or weren't interested in unlocking the other classes because you wanted to hasten the end then.

I don't get to play that often and I mix in other games so I'm hoping it doesn't get stale.

It didn't really get stale. You have to understand that I was on my 5th mercenary and we had seen all but 1 of the classes, every enemy and every boss. We had been playing well over 100 hours. It was just tine for it to end. Like I said we all were at the point where money, experience and checkmarks meant nothing to us.

Blizzard

Banned
It didn't really get stale. You have to understand that I was on my 5th mercenary and we had seen all but 1 of the classes, every enemy and every boss. We had been playing well over 100 hours. It was just tine for it to end. Like I said we all were at the point where money, experience and checkmarks meant nothing to us.
I should also point out we only have 2 characters, so it will probably take us longer to see the classes, haha.

I was thinking about Arkham Horror The Card Game since it's highly rated, my only doubt is: Is it replayable with only the base game? I've seen there's some kind of "story", so I don't know if after you've played it once it feels repetetive

XShagrath

I was thinking about Arkham Horror The Card Game since it's highly rated, my only doubt is: Is it replayable with only the base game? I've seen there's some kind of "story", so I don't know if after you've played it once it feels repetetive
LCGs are very much meant to be expanded. Buying just the base came (called a "Core Set") is very much just supposed to be a taste of what the game has to offer. That being said, the story contained within the core set has multiple paths, so you could play through it multiple times and see different things happening within the story and the game. I've played through the first campaign three times already, and would have no problems going back and playing it again.

LCGs are very much meant to be expanded. Buying just the base came (called a "Core Set") is very much just supposed to be a taste of what the game has to offer. That being said, the story contained within the core set has multiple paths, so you could play through it multiple times and see different things happening within the story and the game. I've played through the first campaign three times already, and would have no problems going back and playing it again.

I see, I was asking because the core set isn't exactly cheap (like 40€ here), so I was wondering if it was worth it for that price.
Can you suggest me some deckbuilding/card games? Maybe ones on the cheap side, I was looking for Star Realms that seems a good compromise

Can you suggest me some deckbuilding/card games? Maybe ones on the cheap side, I was looking for Star Realms that seems a good compromise

Star Realms is cool, if you are interested I would certainly recommend it. Kinda on the light side with regards to rules, but it is very accessible and I've got people who don't usually like card games into and enjoying the game. Their is a free version on iOS (and perhaps Steam and Android), you can only play versus bots unless you want to shell out a bit but it gives you an idea what the game is like.

Ha! I haven't bought my set yet; haven't had an order ready to go from CSI or MM yet. First thing I said when I saw someone post the announcement on FB was "Awww, what does this mean for Zen Bins?" Maybe they'll release two small trays that can fit in the Rogue One box that hold the new Rebel and Imperial stuff?

That sounds awesome. I've got a local X-Wing tourney tomorrow or I would think about making the two hour drive up to Charlotte. But then again, two hours to get there, something like an 8 hour game, and then a two hour drive back? Twilight Imperium already fills the day without needing to tack on 4 hours of driving. I do want to try it one of these days though; my copy has sat under my bed since I got it in summer of 2014. I imagine that there are some people in my FB game group who might like to play but I can't imagine the ones who would play could make the drive from Columbia or Florence or Sumter on short-notice. Hope you find a fifth and sixth player.

Give the regional sub-forums on BGG a try though. There are people in the CLT-area who lurk on the SouthEast subforum. You might get some of the people from the Triangle to drive down too.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I organize a game. I might also shoot you a PM, just in case.

Star Realms is cool, if you are interested I would certainly recommend it. Kinda on the light side with regards to rules, but it is very accessible and I've got people who don't usually like card games into and enjoying the game. Their is a free version on iOS (and perhaps Steam and Android), you can only play versus bots unless you want to shell out a bit but it gives you an idea what the game is like.

Yes I like how it plays out. I also seen another interesting deckbuilding game, Dale of Merchants, it's quite cheap too and seems good, anyone with some experience on it?

XShagrath

I see, I was asking because the core set isn't exactly cheap (like 40€ here), so I was wondering if it was worth it for that price.
If you're looking for something with more replayability, then something competitive like Star Realms might be what you're looking for. Dominion is probably also a good choice, as you can get in quite a few plays of the base game before adding in expansions.

Arkham is definitely an experience unlike any other I've had in a board/card game. However, with only the core set (which I paid $35 for), you're going to have that limited experience. Along with trying to get the multiple resolutions, you could also play through with all five of the investigators, which would be akin to running through a video game and picking different characters/classes. You'll see the same content, but you'll need to approach things in different ways, which keeps the gameplay interesting enough to not care too much that you've seen the story already.

Arctic Scavengers is also a super cool deckbuilder. It isn't quite as cheap and accessible as Star Realms but it is a fantastic knife fight of a game were you and your friends are constantly butting heads and stealing resources out from each other. The pack you can buy now also includes the optional expansions in it so it is quite a dense game that can evolve new mechanics if you want it to.

Yes I like how it plays out. I also seen another interesting deckbuilding game, Dale of Merchants, it's quite cheap too and seems good, anyone with some experience on it?

I own both Dale of Merchants and its sequel. It's easy to learn, and there's a fair bit of strategy and interesting decision making since the game's different animal factions play differently, and you can mix and match between the first and second games freely. My wife and I love this game.

Here's a Rahdo video of the first game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPjQBlAUW0c

I own both Dale of Merchants and its sequel. It's easy to learn, and there's a fair bit of strategy and interesting decision making since the game's different animal factions play differently, and you can mix and match between the first and second games freely. My wife and I love this game.

Here's a Rahdo video of the first game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPjQBlAUW0c

Thank you, in the end I've bough Dale Of Merchants (since I can play up to 4 players) and Star Realms (for 1vs1)

Thank you, in the end I've bough Dale Of Merchants (since I can play up to 4 players) and Star Realms (for 1vs1)

You might also want to look into Hero Realms. It's by the makers of Star Realms with similar (and improved) mechanics. It's fantasy based with heroes instead of bases, and supports up to 4 players. There are also character packs that give you a starter decked themed towards a specific class (rogue, wizard, etc), and that alters your playstyle. A single player/co-op campaign expansion is also in the works.

You might also want to look into Hero Realms. It's by the makers of Star Realms with similar (and improved) mechanics. It's fantasy based with heroes instead of bases, and supports up to 4 players. There are also character packs that give you a starter decked themed towards a specific class (rogue, wizard, etc), and that alters your playstyle. A single player/co-op campaign expansion is also in the works.

Yeah it's on my radar but there wasn't at the local store, I should buy it on Amazon, so for now I guess I'll try/play star realms

I totally forgot about this one. I enjoy it quite a bit, as it adds a fairly unique spin to the more standard deckbuilding mechanism.

I haven't picked up any of the expansions yet. Are they worth it?

I never felt the need to get the expansions. Part of what I like about Valley of the Kings is that it's small and compact.

Big One

Banned
Man Arkham Horror LCG is my new obsession...the game has completely engrossed me. I'm not even that good at it but I love it. Great shit all around. I dont even mind playing the same scenarios over and over again due to how different the games feels with the chaos bag and the encounter deck.

Top Bottom