• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
Did anyone here ever play the Harry Potter deck builder?
Yeah. I don't think it's very good. It's not horrible but there are many many better deck building games out there now including cooperative ones.

Two major gripes: There is no way to cull cards from your deck during the game so you just stop buying stuff because your deck gets shitty.

Every game just adds more bosses that you have to beat including all of the previous ones so each game gets longer and longer.
I think I posted some detailed thoughts in this thread quite a while back, and search might dig them up, but mostly I agree with Affeinvasion after beating the whole game.

The one thing I somewhat disagree on is game length. Although more bosses do get added every time, the heroes also gain extra powers to an extent, plus the possibility of better cards. Essentially you can end up with higher dps which balances the length. However for the rest, basically yeah.

The good:
  • Production values are quite nice. The heavy metal skulls are neat, cards are solid, dice are unique, and graphic design is good.
  • Having heroes that improve after going through school is a nice idea, complete with changing art. Likewise, seeing what new bosses and characters show up in each year is neat.
  • There are some really powerful cards and/or powers. Saving your teammate or finding yourself with a massively overpowered deck feels like a breath of fresh air when contrasted with the BS you get hit with sometimes.

The bad:
  • As mentioned, you can't trim your deck so it ends up padded with junk, kind of the opposite of what you want from a deckbuilder.
  • Likewise, you can't trim what's in the 6-card store. Every game you have a bigger store deck, but only 6 cards in the store! If you can't afford anything in the store, tough luck! It always stays the same. If you don't WANT to buy what's in the store because it's junk and you want the latest year cards, tough luck! You have to. I know at least one group who houseruled that the store cards are wiped if it's impossible to buy for a whole round, which should help a bit.
  • New bosses getting added is nice thematically. Having to defeat the same OLD bosses every single year is really weird thematically, and it does extend the game to an extent.
  • More importantly for game balance, boss order is random! You could start with a useless boss and a strong boss, and cruise to victory by letting the useless boss survive. Or, you could start with a nasty endgame boss combination while you have no cards, and everyone dies horribly.
  • As with bosses, store order is random. As mentioned above, this can mean you have great store opportunities and get to see cool new cards, or you end up with the same old junk year 1 cards in a year 6 game while dementors eat your face or something.
  • There's an odd difficulty scaling issue where 4-player games can be way harder than 2-player games. In a 2-player game, let's say it takes 3 rounds to cycle your deck and get the new card you bought. That's 6 boss attacks and 6+ evil event cards. With 4 players, that's 12 boss attacks and 12+ evil event cards. Some of those can affect all players! Many of those can also make you lose cards, and if you get exhausted you lose even more cards, so you have the lovely experience of starting your turn with 1-2 cards. Good luck buying anything!
  • The previous item ties into another balance problem. Games tend to go one way or the other. Either you have nice store/boss scaling and you cruise to victory while staying on the first location card, or you have bad luck initially and can never come back because of the escalating location penalties combined with starting your turn with only 1-2 cards.

In conclusion: This may sound odd given all my negatives, but I think it's still probably worth it if you or a loved one are BIG Harry Potter fans. There's some strategy and nice production. Mechanically, it's just not very good unless someone comes up with some solid houserules, and it can be really frustrating.

Lyng

Less special rules, thematically I think they did better with the setting by exploring stuff on their own. I am also just a fan of the deluxe+pack thing. You end up with nice sized quest chains and stuff. That stuff is less important in LOTR than Arkham horror though. It is mostly down to personal taste. Most of the player cards are compatible between Saga and normal stuff.

Either are cool, but I like the idea of "new" stories better than playing through the trilogy stuff.

How important is it to get multiple core sets?

What are other good places to do board games besides a library?

Here in our country there's a recent influx of boardgame cafes. Basically it is a restaurant with overpriced food but you can borrow any boardgames they have in the house. The selection of games is huge. Check if you have something like that near you.

Lyng

I finally got around to trying Destiny.

Shockingly.... that is not for me.

My wife got me the two starter decks recently, and we enjoyed it well enough. Not going to buy any boosters though. We are going to use it as something to bring along on travels to play in our hotel room etc.

For a more deep and engaging star wars head to head experience I still vastly prefer the LCG.

Does anybody play Marvel Dice Masters? I was interested in playing it, but not at a competitive level. I was planning on taking a base set and maybe some time some boosters to play with a friend. It should be viable since if I'm not wrong decks are based only on heroes and boosters contain only heroes

Karkador

Banned
Does anybody play Marvel Dice Masters? I was interested in playing it, but not at a competitive level. I was planning on taking a base set and maybe some time some boosters to play with a friend. It should be viable since if I'm not wrong decks are based only on heroes and boosters contain only heroes

Yeah it should work. I enjoy the game casually, too.

One base set has the neutral dice, action cards, and enough heroes for two people to play. The boosters get you two additional heroes and their matching dice.

XShagrath

is this dungeon dice game any good?

looks interesting on kickstarter but kinda expensive I guess

I haven't played it and never heard of it. It looks like it's originally from 2014, so there's quite a few reviews out there.

Dice Tower Review - Says the game is fairly simple and extremely random. Doesn't seem like it would have lasting power (in my opinion).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of conventions, are any of you folks going to Origins Game Fair next month in Colombus, OH?

One day I'll branch out but for now next Con for me is BGG, which I've actually missed the past few years so going to give it an earnest effort to go this year. Plus I can play Switch on the plane ride over from NorCal now!

ultron87

Speaking of conventions, are any of you folks going to Origins Game Fair next month in Colombus, OH?

Yeah! I've been the last two years, and will be going this year as well. It's a good time. We definitely spend a large portion of the show just in the game library area trying new stuff.

(Event reg is in 4 minutes!)

Taborcarn

I've been a little disappointed with the lack of available info on PAX Unplugged, but I'm planning on getting a ticket. I already booked a room. It'll be my first Con.

Yeah! I've been the last two years, and will be going this year as well. It's a good time. We definitely spend a large portion of the show just in the game library area trying new stuff.

(Event reg is in 4 minutes!)
I hope you enjoy slammed up websites and 503 errors like I am! ;(

ultron87

I hope you enjoy slammed up websites and 503 errors like I am! ;(

I am! Their website is very bad. If I remember correctly from last year, you can't even buy multiple tickets for events with it, so playing a scheduled demo with my group requires all three of us to successfully brave this crud.

Karkador

Banned
I've been a little disappointed with the lack of available info on PAX Unplugged, but I'm planning on getting a ticket. I already booked a room. It'll be my first Con.

The stuff they've done at the PAX conventions for tabletop has been pretty good, so they're definitely on the right track. If they expand that, it'd be nice.

Taborcarn

The stuff they've done at the PAX conventions for tabletop has been pretty good, so they're definitely on the right track. If they expand that, it'd be nice.

I saw some Dice Tower footage from this latest PAX East and the tabletop stuff seemed pretty good. The price isn't too high so even if I just end up playing a handful of games with some people I know who are also planning on attending it'll be worth it.

What's been happening with Gencon? I knew some people in my group that went last year. Undesired changes? Drama?

Just gotten way too big/crowded. It's a struggle to get a good hotel room, lines, events hard to get into cause they fill up so fast, lines, harder to get exclusives, lines.

Origins is just super chill in comparison, tons of gaming to be had with zero hassle.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the Hogwarts impressions. Going to skip it - it's $40 at the local Half-Price Books NIS. However, even though my wife is a big fan of the series, the game sounds like it wouldn't be much fun for her.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So there are probably a lot of Burgle Bros. players/fans in here and SUSD just put up their glowing review: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-burgle-bros/

But does anyone else sort of feel like the shine wore off after maybe 5-10 plays? I really loved it at first what with the art style and theme and simple-but-deep mechanics, but over time to me it just started to feel like a pretty cold puzzle game with little room for improvisation or creativity. I find myself going back to Pandemic and its offshoots instead for similar situations, which is sort of the opposite of what the review says but maybe I'm alone in this feeling.

Blizzard

Banned
So there are probably a lot of Burgle Bros. players/fans in here and SUSD just put up their glowing review: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-burgle-bros/

But does anyone else sort of feel like the shine wore off after maybe 5-10 plays? I really loved it at first what with the art style and theme and simple-but-deep mechanics, but over time to me it just started to feel like a pretty cold puzzle game with little room for improvisation or creativity. I find myself going back to Pandemic and its offshoots instead for similar situations, which is sort of the opposite of what the review says but maybe I'm alone in this feeling.
I mean, there are only 3 different maps if I recall correctly? There are so many games and such limited time that I'd be shocked if I ever got to 5 plays, let alone 10 plays, with my game group.

ultron87

Glad to see PAX Unplugged didn't instantly sell out like normal PAX. I'm definitely thinking about it, especially we know someone we can stay with in Philly. Just need to check with some other people.

Three out of town board game conventions in a year isn't too much, right? Right?

I haven't played it that much to find out, but we loved the game. The room randomization and character abilities should give it a good bit of variety really tho

Yeah it should work. I enjoy the game casually, too.

One base set has the neutral dice, action cards, and enough heroes for two people to play. The boosters get you two additional heroes and their matching dice.

Are the action cards the same? Or they can be different? I ask this since the boosters only contain heroes, I wanted to know if the "customization" aspect was only for which heroes and how many dice for them you take or if even the action cards can be different (and in this case, where do you get them??)

Big One

Banned
So I recently acquired the Arkham Horror LCG and enjoying it quite a bit! It's the first narrative card game I've ever played, and the mechanics are fantastic as well. It took a bit to learn due to all the shit that goes on in it, but I think I've more or less figured it out.

I started out doing some co-op games but I didn't really understand the rules at the time so I'm not really counting those. My first campaign was a Solo campaign with Roland, and that's when I REALLY learned how to play. I cheated a bit (on accident) but the experience allowed me to understand the basic mechanisms and card interactions and etc.

I did another co-op game this time with Skids and Agnes and with full knowledge of the rules...I think I did pretty good? I'm unsure how well I did, but the end result had Agnes with 3 mental trauma, 2 physical trauma, and Skids with 2 mental trauma, 2 physical trauma.
I ended up throwing Lita into the beast to save our skin but felt pretty bad about it. I probably would've been better off resigning cause we didn't get any VP from the mission.

Luckily I don't have the Dunwich Legacy yet, cause going into that with those battered up characters would've been tough (yeah, yeah, I know you can start anew with it buuut...). Speaking of, how easy is it to complete Night of the Zealot + Dunwich Legacy (+expansions) + the 2 extra scenarios and come out alright?

Karkador

Banned
Are the action cards the same? Or they can be different? I ask this since the boosters only contain heroes, I wanted to know if the "customization" aspect was only for which heroes and how many dice for them you take or if even the action cards can be different (and in this case, where do you get them??)

In the game, you have your personal pool of heroes that you bring to a match, and only you can use them. However, you also bring two action cards into a match, and they go into a communal row (4 action cards total) that either player can use. So the customization has an interesting factor there, in that you might bring a very nice action card to the table that could also help your opponent.

The fact that your "deck" customization is essentially only 8 cards is what really makes Dice Masters an ideal casual "tcg style" game for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Luckily I don't have the Dunwich Legacy yet, cause going into that with those battered up characters would've been tough (yeah, yeah, I know you can start anew with it buuut...). Speaking of, how easy is it to complete Night of the Zealot + Dunwich Legacy (+expansions) + the 2 extra scenarios and come out alright?

It's definitely possible, but iirc it's more a variant than anything so you will get some awkward situations where either you just have too much damage to make it through or maybe you're even overpowered.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool, Shut Up & Sit Down are holding a con in Vancouver, Canada from 6-8 Oct this year.

Hmmm, I wonder how driving through the Rockies would be at that time of year?

Tickets on sale here.

That's gonna be dope. I can't go there this year but depending on how well it goes off might consider going there next year instead of BGG since it's a bit closer and also SUSD is a little more my vibe than BGG just in general (no offense intended to the dude I once played with a BGG.Con who talked about "that little injun" when playing Colt Express but it brings in all types).

Neverfade

wait how did you try it (just starter deck games? someone handed you a deck? cause the game is sooooo goood)

Lightly modified starters. Its just... too light maybe? I know there's a lot of tactical decision making and whatnot, and I get that a big appeal is to get in and bang out a bunch of games real quick -- I dunno. It just didn't click.

My wife got me the two starter decks recently, and we enjoyed it well enough. Not going to buy any boosters though. We are going to use it as something to bring along on travels to play in our hotel room etc.

For a more deep and engaging star wars head to head experience I still vastly prefer the LCG.

Hell yeah. SWLCG the GOAT.

In the game, you have your personal pool of heroes that you bring to a match, and only you can use them. However, you also bring two action cards into a match, and they go into a communal row (4 action cards total) that either player can use. So the customization has an interesting factor there, in that you might bring a very nice action card to the table that could also help your opponent.

The fact that your "deck" customization is essentially only 8 cards is what really makes Dice Masters an ideal casual "tcg style" game for me.

I see, but I still don't understand, where you get the actions card from if the boosters only contain heroes?

Karkador

Banned
I see, but I still don't understand, where you get the actions card from if the boosters only contain heroes?

They include 10 in a starter set, which I'd say is a decent amount of variety. If you want more, the action cards are different across the different starter releases (X-Men, Justice League, TMNT, etc).

The game is intended to be mixed and matched, though you might have to explain to yourself why Batman is casting magic spells from D&D.

sneaky77

I played Ethnos last night, which appears to be pretty hot right now from what the store owner said, it was very enjoyable and quick, I think it took about an hr with 6 players and 3 of us had never played before. A mix of area control, set collecting and hand management

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Well Day 1A for Destiny starts today at 13:30.. I have both HanRey and JabbaDooku ready to go and still undecided. I've been practicing on JabbaDooku for 3 weeks straight but probably have 50+ games of HanRey under my belt. I was worried that burst was going to be a problem with lots of HanRey and ReyPoe, so I brought some to the party... now I'm just thinking it won't matter what I play.. and that good rolls and strong play will win no matter what. Hmmm

Top Bottom