• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I've been in prison for the last three turns of Tales of the Arabian Nights. Meanwhile, my buddy got robbed by some girl he attempted to purchase as a servant, because he didn't have Beguiling and instead had Seduction. It's less game and more hilarious story of insane shit happening to you.

Also played some Downforce, which tends to revolve around me saying "zoom zoom zoom" like a Mazda commercial.

Played Viral at lunch today. Really fun area control game.

I've actually played five of my gen con purchases already, which is actually kind of crazy for me. For reference, I still have unopened games from gen con three years ago. Playing my games over lunch is both healthier and more cost efficient than eating out every day of the week. More fun, too.

Played Viral at lunch today. Really fun area control game.

I've actually played five of my gen con purchases already, which is actually kind of crazy for me. For reference, I still have unopened games from gen con three years ago. Playing my games over lunch is both healthier and more cost efficient than eating out every day of the week. More fun, too.

Would you recommend it? I love the theme, and the art is pretty cool.

Pulled the trigger on the mage knight mass drop, will pick up the character expansion next pay check. Looking forward to 1000 years learning how to play

EYEL1NER

Just got Tortuga 1667 in a few days ago. I received shipping notice today for the deluxe version of Walk the Plank and my eagerly-anticipated BattleCON Trials. I can't wait for BattleCON, especially after seeing the unboxing video last week and seeing how the tuckboxes work. Finally, a boxed BattleCON product that is easily playable after unwrapping it. Trials is gonna be my go-to box until more tuckboxes are made available (via DriveThru Cards or L99 store) or the big box storage solution gets reworked and can come out.

Now that the dust from Gen Con has settled and I've been able to figure out what all got shown off there from videos and reviews, I've come up with a partial list of stuff I want and will keep an eye on:
-Go Nuts for Donuts
-NMBR 9
-Ex Libris
-The Climbers
-Flip Ships
-Mountains of Madness
-Fallout

Would you recommend it? I love the theme, and the art is pretty cool.

I would! Everyone that played it really liked it. Mechanically it has some really cool things I haven't seen in an area control game before, and after the first few rounds and wrapping your head around how things work, you start to see how you can combo your two plays each round. It's really fun, and more than worth the insanely reasonable asking price.

Just got Tortuga 1667 in a few days ago. I received shipping notice today for the deluxe version of Walk the Plank and my eagerly-anticipated BattleCON Trials. I can't wait for BattleCON, especially after seeing the unboxing video last week and seeing how the tuckboxes work. Finally, a boxed BattleCON product that is easily playable after unwrapping it. Trials is gonna be my go-to box until more tuckboxes are made available (via DriveThru Cards or L99 store) or the big box storage solution gets reworked and can come out.

Now that the dust from Gen Con has settled and I've been able to figure out what all got shown off there from videos and reviews, I've come up with a partial list of stuff I want and will keep an eye on:
-Go Nuts for Donuts
-NMBR 9
-Ex Libris
-The Climbers
-Flip Ships
-Mountains of Madness
-Fallout

BattleCON is getting a big box solution?

A buddy of mine ended up winning a copy of Rising Sun at GenCon and he brought it to play tonight. Here are some really brief thoughts:

First off, the way we played it, the "Diplomacy" aspect of the game is completely over-hyped. Yes, there is table talk in the game, but the ability to betray your alliance is very limited. You only really have two time times when betrayal can happen and there is very few times when it is optimal to do so. Making alliances is also very beneficial for both parties because depending on the actions you select it can be powerful.

The blind bidding mechanism actually works and doesn't want to make me pull out my hair **cough**Revolution**cough**. The idea is that battles are resolved with blind bidding. You bid on each stage of the battle, the person who bid the highest gets to perform the action. Once the battle has completed whomever has the most "force" in an area wins the battle and takes the province. So while you do lose your bid no matter what the outcome of the battle, the winner has to pay out everything he put in to the loser(s). So you end up recouping some of the cash you spent. It's a really smart way to do blind bidding.

Finally, the game is actually dead simple to play. Each game is broken up into three rounds. Most of the time you are drafting and performing various actions like purchasing cards or moving units. Combat only happens at the end of each round, so you end up resolving combat once. Combat is different, interesting, and resolves rather quickly. As I said earlier, the blind bidding works and is different than what you would expect in a game like this.

I really liked the game. It took us a total of 2 hours to play a four player game. Most of us were new to the game and we picked it up quickly. It is also a beautiful game to look at. Not surprising but the minis are great and the board is beautiful.

Anyway, here is a picture of it mid game. I think we were on the first round at this point.

Edit: Actually it's the second round.

pfQx4j5.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's pretty awesome to have won a copy of that! Also cool to hear that you can get a 4 player game in in 2 hours.

Unrelated, a buddy of mine is going to help do the art on my game! Really excited since he's got a really unique art style that I think will work great for what I'm going for.

EYEL1NER

BattleCON is getting a big box solution?
Nah, not anytime soon. A storage solution was talked about I believe as far back as the War: Revised campaign and was set as a stretch goal for the Fate campaign but not reached. It was set at a really high amount though because Brad wasn't really ready to work on one and didn't know what route he wanted to take. It was something a lot of people desired though and talk about one being made continued. He finally had a prototype for one made and sent to him. He did a video of an unveiling for it in a Trials campaign update but was really dissatisfied with it. The material was thin, there was stablilty concerns because of the weight, and the box was very large, especially with him accounting for room for future expansions. He said it didn't really live up to what he envisioned and opened it up to comments and criticisms. It seems like some people want just tuckboxes, some people want a small box or long skinny boxes that can store just the characters people want to take with them so it's portable, and then the group I fall in is the one who will buy anything he puts out but prefers a large box that will hold everything (weight be damned, I'll carry a 25lb box into game stores if it looks good and contains every character; I want all characters available to me at all times). He wound up scrapping that plan and is still working on it. He's mentioned that there are different routes that he could go down but I don't think anything will materialize for a while.

Sucks too, because my BattleCON doesn't get played because of it. Well, I also have no one to play it with, but there is no practical and easy way to even sort and store Devastation, let alone all the rest. My copy of the old version of War was sorted, sleeved, and bagged individually by fighter, so I have played that, and then Fate is a small-enough box with only ten fighters that it's easy to pull what's needed from it, but War Revised and Dev are a nightmare. That's why Trials will become my go-to box, since every fighter and their kit will be sorted into individual tuckboxes (which is the plan going forward with the future Wanderers and the new version of Devastation which will be broken down into small boxes and released seperatly). People have been asking if L99 could just put up files for tuckboxes for everyone but I don't know if that will be done. They've sold promo cards (Mother's Day Adjenna and the Tatsumi & Juto World Champion 2015 prize promo) on Drive Thru Cards, so my hope is that there will be a way to buy tuckboxes through there at some point real soon in the future. I am pretty sure that one tournament, in 2015 maybe, had a custom storage solution given away to the winner but I've never seen it.

But that's why I mentioned a big box that may be reworked. I don't think it's a priority right now and has maybe been put on the backburner, but I don't believe Brad has scrapped all plans for ever doing anything for a storage solution. He's acknowledged that the game, Devastation in particular, is very unwieldy. Opening that box for Dev is a shock because of how much stuff is in there. People with a lot of creativity and free time come up with storage solutions (like the famous 'character select screen' tuckbox layout) but I don't have time or resources to do it, so I'm still waiting for something.

A buddy of mine ended up winning a copy of Rising Sun at GenCon and he brought it to play tonight. Here are some really brief thoughts:

First off, the way we played it, the "Diplomacy" aspect of the game is completely over-hyped. Yes, there is table talk in the game, but the ability to betray your alliance is very limited. You only really have two time times when betrayal can happen and there is very few times when it is optimal to do so. Making alliances is also very beneficial for both parties because depending on the actions you select it can be powerful.

The blind bidding mechanism actually works and doesn't want to make me pull out my hair **cough**Revolution**cough**. The idea is that battles are resolved with blind bidding. You bid on each stage of the battle, the person who bid the highest gets to perform the action. Once the battle has completed whomever has the most "force" in an area wins the battle and takes the province. So while you do lose your bid no matter what the outcome of the battle, the winner has to pay out everything he put in to the loser(s). So you end up recouping some of the cash you spent. It's a really smart way to do blind bidding.

Finally, the game is actually dead simple to play. Each game is broken up into three rounds. Most of the time you are drafting and performing various actions like purchasing cards or moving units. Combat only happens at the end of each round, so you end up resolving combat once. Combat is different, interesting, and resolves rather quickly. As I said earlier, the blind bidding works and is different than what you would expect in a game like this.

I really liked the game. It took us a total of 2 hours to play a four player game. Most of us were new to the game and we picked it up quickly. It is also a beautiful game to look at. Not surprising but the minis are great and the board is beautiful.

Anyway, here is a picture of it mid game. I think we were on the first round at this point.

It looks gorgeous.

Olorin

Played Vikings Gone Wild for the first time last weekend. Fun combination of deckbuilding and town building. Some cards seemed way more powerful than others though, and I won by a landslide.
Also played some Nosferatu, Century, Codenames and Dixit. (The gold foil cards in Dixit Revelations sure are pretty)

Unrelated, a buddy of mine is going to help do the art on my game! Really excited since he's got a really unique art style that I think will work great for what I'm going for.

Nice! I hope it turns out well.
My girlfriend is going to do some of the art for my game, but I'll need another artist as well.

Nah, not anytime soon. A storage solution was talked about I believe as far back as the War: Revised campaign and was set as a stretch goal for the Fate campaign but not reached. It was set at a really high amount though because Brad wasn't really ready to work on one and didn't know what route he wanted to take. It was something a lot of people desired though and talk about one being made continued. He finally had a prototype for one made and sent to him. He did a video of an unveiling for it in a Trials campaign update but was really dissatisfied with it. The material was thin, there was stablilty concerns because of the weight, and the box was very large, especially with him accounting for room for future expansions. He said it didn't really live up to what he envisioned and opened it up to comments and criticisms. It seems like some people want just tuckboxes, some people want a small box or long skinny boxes that can store just the characters people want to take with them so it's portable, and then the group I fall in is the one who will buy anything he puts out but prefers a large box that will hold everything (weight be damned, I'll carry a 25lb box into game stores if it looks good and contains every character; I want all characters available to me at all times). He wound up scrapping that plan and is still working on it. He's mentioned that there are different routes that he could go down but I don't think anything will materialize for a while.

Sucks too, because my BattleCON doesn't get played because of it. Well, I also have no one to play it with, but there is no practical and easy way to even sort and store Devastation, let alone all the rest. My copy of the old version of War was sorted, sleeved, and bagged individually by fighter, so I have played that, and then Fate is a small-enough box with only ten fighters that it's easy to pull what's needed from it, but War Revised and Dev are a nightmare. That's why Trials will become my go-to box, since every fighter and their kit will be sorted into individual tuckboxes (which is the plan going forward with the future Wanderers and the new version of Devastation which will be broken down into small boxes and released seperatly). People have been asking if L99 could just put up files for tuckboxes for everyone but I don't know if that will be done. They've sold promo cards (Mother's Day Adjenna and the Tatsumi & Juto World Champion 2015 prize promo) on Drive Thru Cards, so my hope is that there will be a way to buy tuckboxes through there at some point real soon in the future. I am pretty sure that one tournament, in 2015 maybe, had a custom storage solution given away to the winner but I've never seen it.

But that's why I mentioned a big box that may be reworked. I don't think it's a priority right now and has maybe been put on the backburner, but I don't believe Brad has scrapped all plans for ever doing anything for a storage solution. He's acknowledged that the game, Devastation in particular, is very unwieldy. Opening that box for Dev is a shock because of how much stuff is in there. People with a lot of creativity and free time come up with storage solutions (like the famous 'character select screen' tuckbox layout) but I don't have time or resources to do it, so I'm still waiting for something.

All that makes sense and I agree, I can get a friend and my brother to play battlecon with me, but all I have is dev and it's so unweildy we spend more time finding the fighters we want to play then actually playing.

JSR_Cube

Thanks for the impressions. Looking forward to giving this a try. I skipped Godfather and went with this for my next Eric Lang game. Looks like it will work better with my group anyway.

elyetis

All that makes sense and I agree, I can get a friend and my brother to play battlecon with me, but all I have is dev and it's so unweildy we spend more time finding the fighters we want to play then actually playing.
Without going the more expensive ( time and money ) way of making your own tuckbox+box, just putting fighters+token in bags can do the trick.
The problem is really only that it look ugly as hell and you can't tell who is who when it's still in the box
That being said I really really hope we will get a decent way to get official tuckbox for all the characters, the unboxing preview of BattleCON: Trials in looked soooo good ( and practical ).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK - change of plans with KD:M.

My friend is going to sell his 1.3 Core + 1.5 Upgrade (and possibly his Flower Knight + Gen Con promo mini). He decided that he doesn't want it for some reason. I have secured a Kickstarter so I don't want it. If anyone is interested (or you KNOW someone interested), hit me up. I'd be taking care of the shipping and stuff, so you'd be dealing with me and not some stranger not on GAF.

I'd post this in the BST thread, but I have a strange feeling zero people would know what that is (or understand the price).

E: Just so I don't have to type it over and over, here's what he's got:

KD:M + 1.5 Upgrade
Flower Knight Expansion
Spring Death Dice
Sci-Fi White Speaker
Pinup Detective Twilight Knight
Pinup Warrior of the Sun

Keasar

I tried sometime ago to make those tuckboxes by the character select screen guy but here in Sweden, printers seem to be much rarer that can do jobs like that. :/

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they just sold tuckboxes online that you fold yourself and then fit into all the old boxes. No big box solution would work anyway (it would be WAY too heavy and the structural integrity would never work with anything but wood/metal).

Without going the more expensive ( time and money ) way of making your own tuckbox+box, just putting fighters+token in bags can do the trick.

The problem is really only that it look ugly as hell and you can't tell who is who when it's still in the box

That being said I really really hope we will get a decent way to get official tuckbox for all the characters, the unboxing preview of BattleCON: Trials in looked soooo good ( and practical ).

Yeah I bagged dev, but my box looks like yours and it's a mess to sort through. Anyone got a link to these printer tuck boxes?

Blizzard

Banned

This is my Devastation of Indines using cheap envelopes:

devhiy0m.jpg

It's super silly-looking but sorted and very effective.

elyetis

This is my Devastation of Indines using cheap envelopes:

devhiy0m.jpg

It's super silly-looking but sorted and very effective.
Oh that's... like a reaallly good idea actually. Sure I would loose the ability to recognise the character by picture alone ( I'm really not good with names ), but it's far cleaner. Then maybe just add some color coded sticker or something to easily see the Flight/complexity level...

Castef

Banned
So, after the recent release of the Potion Explosion expansion (The Fifth Ingredient) I can announce my next game, being published at the Essen 2017 fair (and, shortly later, in various countries).

The publisher is dvGiochi, makers of Bang! and Dark Tales.

The game is Minute Realms, a quick realm-building game for 2-5 players.

This is the box.

DIY7OKRXcAAu8ny.jpg

I hope players will like it. :)

Oh that's... like a reaallly good idea actually. Sure I would loose the ability to recognise the character by picture alone ( I'm really not good with names ), but it's far cleaner. Then maybe just add some color coded sticker or something to easily see the Flight/complexity level...

1-6 in the corner, b for bosses was my plan

Vyse24

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen or heard about this game called Hero's Crossing? They had a booth at Play NYC last week showing off the game and it was drawing a lot of interest. They said it's gonna be on Kickstarter soon and targeting a $50 price.

I mean It looks fun, and I like the concept of it. I just wish I had a chance to try it out to see if it would be something I'd actually be in to.

For the curious: https://www.heroscrossinggame.com/

Blizzard

Banned
Was the first game any good? The $20 tier seems tempting if it was.
It's very lightweight but fine in my opinion as a 15-minute filler game or intro to worker placement. The presentation is super cute with the mints.

I've heard the solitaire mode with 4 different personalities is decent but haven't tried it yet.

Experien

Fantasy Flight Games is releasing Rebellion expansions on August 31 and the new Destiny expansion on September 14.

What are they doing for Force Friday? Is it just going to be announcement of something?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Fantasy Flight Games is releasing Rebellion expansions on August 31 and the new Destiny expansion on September 14.

What are they doing for Force Friday? Is it just going to be announcement of something?

New 2-player duel deck / starter for Destiny, is the rumor

It's very lightweight but fine in my opinion as a 15-minute filler game or intro to worker placement. The presentation is super cute with the mints.

I've heard the solitaire mode with 4 different personalities is decent but haven't tried it yet.

Sounds good will check it out. Was looking for a light easy intro worker placement game to present to my parents since so far anything too complex they're too afraid to try. Coop and qwixx are the only games they've bitten on (and enjoyed)

yeah and FLGS are already taking blind preorders for them lol

Sheeple don't need to know anything other where to send their money :p

Keasar

My entire family was absolutely delighted with the presentation of the small mint-sized wooden tablets. :p

So at least that part draws people in.

Experien

What does the Rebellion expansion add? New stuff or just more stuff?

New miniature units (rebel rockets, imperial tanks, etc), bunch of leaders, new leaders have minor support dice that are green (like a small Diplomacy symbol to indicated such a thing), more mission cards, more special assignment cards.

I feel like having more heroes will be the biggest addition with Chirrut, Krennic, Death Trooper, and Saw who is good but depending on what action card you get can initially harm you like make you use support and go back in the track.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Not that I don't think that should exist, but ugh, no. Lame use of a Force Friday Announcement.

I dunno, their biggest game right now, with a new Last Jedi themed character set and much better entry point into the game for folks right around a new set coming out? feels like a solid thing to me.

For anyone who hasn't tried Destiny, it'll be a rad way in

I finally got around to learn the rules for Dark Souls and set up solo 2 characters game against Winged Knight. The complaints and criticisms for this game is valid, that said the game is surprisingly tactical and kind of fun. I feel if they let the game cook for a little more they would have solid game. The foundation is good it just need more fine tune and polishing, sadly this is another rush to Kickstarter before the game was ready. I also don't feel the game is really meant to play with more players and characters. The boss fight is the most fun and memorizing the boss pattern and try to maneuver your characters around is very satisfying.

May be someday they will do 2.0 version and fixed the glaring problem with loots and the grind fest. I think more souls reward might help speed up the game also.

Sounds good will check it out. Was looking for a light easy intro worker placement game to present to my parents since so far anything too complex they're too afraid to try. Coop and qwixx are the only games they've bitten on (and enjoyed)
Sheeple don't need to know anything other where to send their money :p

I'd pass on mint works unless the size/mint factor is really important (travel a lot?). It just isn't an interesting game, you go for the "get mints" space unless there is something good to buy. Then you buy it.

Arguments about genre aside, for parent intro to worker placement/action selection I would try fresco.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd pass on mint works unless the size/mint factor is really important (travel a lot?). It just isn't an interesting game, you go for the "get mints" space unless there is something good to buy. Then you buy it.

Arguments about genre aside, for parent intro to worker placement/action selection I would try fresco.
I've never tried Fresco, but I will say that my nearly 70-year-old mother picked up Mintworks quickly and won the game, enjoying the process.

Fresco also looks like it has massive space and components involved, including screens for hidden information. I agree that for someone who plays games often or repeatedly, or doesn't do solitaire, Mintworks can easily run out its welcome. But for someone casual or older it's a really nice choice.

I've never tried Fresco, but I will say that my nearly 70-year-old mother picked up Mintworks quickly and won the game, enjoying the process.

Fresco also looks like it has massive space and components involved, including screens for hidden information. I agree that for someone who plays games often or repeatedly, or doesn't do solitaire, Mintworks can easily run out its welcome. But for someone casual or older it's a really nice choice.

You can basically play without the hidden screens and I recommend you do to cut out the fiddliness (let alone two screens!). I agree it requires more space, but not that much more once you lay all the cards out for mint works and have a few people playing.

Admittedly I haven't played mint works with older people, but I have played it quite a few times with my kids and they found it too thin. It just feels like the intro to a bigger game and left us unsatisfied. This works for some genres, I feel it doesn't for worker placement. Having actual options and something to "work towards" is really the point.

I also feel the theme of fresco is more inviting to casual players. You are just mixing paints and painting after all, and also have surprise sudden nudity to laugh over. I feel you would have a harder time explaining the different building types in an intuitive way with mint works.

Also the damn book doesn't fit in the tin.

Top Bottom