• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
I trimmed 2 tiny diagonal bits off the corners of the book so it locks in place nicely. :p

My old conservative mom would not have appreciated nudity either, so that's good to know, haha.

EYEL1NER

If the Force Friday FFG item winds up being a Destiny product, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. A local X-Wing player asked a store owner who is hyping up Force Friday if it is X-Wing related and he said "The magic 8-Ball points to that being 'likely.'" They also have a lot of Destiny players already, a bunch of the X-Wing crowd started playing Destiny, but rather than have some Destiny events, they are running a special X-Wing matches they created all day on Friday and Saturday and made it clear that X-Wing players should bring their stuff and play the game. X-Wing night is already on Thursday night and there has been an OP event scheduled for Saturday for a number of months now, so like I said, I'll be bummed if it's something else (especially bummed if it is Destiny of all things).

If the Force Friday FFG item winds up being a Destiny product, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. A local X-Wing player asked a store owner who is hyping up Force Friday if it is X-Wing related and he said "The magic 8-Ball points to that being 'likely.'" They also have a lot of Destiny players already, a bunch of the X-Wing crowd started playing Destiny, but rather than have some Destiny events, they are running a special X-Wing matches they created all day on Friday and Saturday and made it clear that X-Wing players should bring their stuff and play the game. X-Wing night is already on Thursday night and there has been an OP event scheduled for Saturday for a number of months now, so like I said, I'll be bummed if it's something else (especially bummed if it is Destiny of all things).

Eh stuff being embargoed for force friday is typically just new movie related, so it's likely just stuff like new TLJ ships for X-Wing, and possibly TLJ related content for their other games like new Destiny set with TLJ focus, or TLJ RPG stuff, etc. Not sure we are gonna see any new actual games being announced.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I would mentally prepare yourself now then....

EYEL1NER

Well I don't know what I'm really expecting. Something for X-Wing would be nice but I haven't fully bought into the idea that it is X-Wing because of the price; the only things they release at that price point are large ships or the two-ship Ace/Veterans packs. If it is X-Wing, then it is almost 100% assuredly tied into the new movie. The most common rumors for X-Wing though are 1) A TLJ Core Set (price is too cheap, unless it is only a two-ship core set instead of three, but that price point doesn't take into account all the extra cards, dice, and cardboard that a core set has), or 2) Some kind of TLJ ship pack containing Kylo's TIE Silencer and maybe the new A-Wing (they haven't released an Ace/Veteran pack containing ships from multiple factions, closest they got was their Most Wanted pack that had some Scum retrofit cards to kick off the a Scum faction).

So I've been pulling for one of the "some new one-off game" tumors, but most of those don't feel right either. Star Wars Catan has been floated as a potential candidate, but the price doesn't fit and that is a game that deserves a much-wider release (would sell a ton, but I can't say I care because I've never even played regular Catan). The Star Wars game with the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game system is the most-interesting theory I've seen, and seen repeated multiple times. I think it is the most-unlikely though, because the failure of Epic Awful Fantasy was recent and that only freed up the brothers who own the system to start shopping it around for another theme even more recently. I think the timeline is too short, but they've worked with FFG before and FFG has a ton of artwork available to use. The $29.99 price is wrong for that too, if it would be comparatively priced with Warhammer Quest ACG.

A Destiny product is the least-exciting prospect for me though, and that is even taking into account the possibility that it could wind up being something RPG-related, like a TLJ Starter Box for a new Resistance/First Order RPG setting.

Anyone have experience with hosting ar a coffee shop? Our host is out for a bit due to becoming a dad and we need a new location.

We were thinking a coffee shop nearby. What is everyones experience with this?

zeeaykay

Anyone have experience with hosting ar a coffee shop? Our host is out for a bit due to becoming a dad and we need a new location.

I think as long as they have the space and everyone buys something to eat or drink it shouldn't be a problem! With bigger groups I've played more at bars that have large tables, but my girlfriend and I play games like Raptor and Patchwork occasionally at our coffee shop and no one minds.

Just don't plus Twilight Imperium for 7 hours and only buy a cup of coffee between the whole group.

Experien

I first did it at my house and then a library. Tried other locations but most people didn't spend money and the owner of the coffee shop never told the employees about us staying past their early closing of 8pm and kicked us out constantly so we stopped going there.

If staying during business hours, should be fine.

Karkador

Banned
There's been some discussion between myself and another GAF user about what the new OT should aspire to be. Not sure if they're gonna make it, and I'm not necessarily interested in making it, though I could possibly help with some things.

We did have a couple of ideas:

• More focus on organizing online play / game nights. I'm very reluctant to suggest Tabletop Sim after discussions we've had about it on here, but there are more legit means to play.
  • Discord server? I don't know anything about setting these up.
  • A process for posting our own game reviews in the thread, which then get indexed in the first post. This way, lurkers and new people can quickly find "what do you guys think about _____" and "what game should I get and why" posts and we repeat ourselves less.
    This would require a fair amount of upkeep for the OP, I suppose, unless someone else who wants to reserve a post at the start and take care of that.

Other ideas welcome

Excelsior

would also like to see some discussion about upcoming/new games. there are so many kickstarter games, for example - it'd be great to discuss them!

There's been some discussion between myself and another GAF user about what the new OT should aspire to be. Not sure if they're gonna make it, and I'm not necessarily interested in making it, though I could possibly help with some things.

We did have a couple of ideas:

• More focus on organizing online play / game nights. I'm very reluctant to suggest Tabletop Sim after discussions we've had about it on here, but there are more legit means to play.
  • Discord server? I don't know anything about setting these up.
  • A process for posting our own game reviews in the thread, which then get indexed in the first post. This way, lurkers and new people can quickly find "what do you guys think about _____" and "what game should I get and why" posts and we repeat ourselves less.
    This would require a fair amount of upkeep for the OP, I suppose, unless someone else who wants to reserve a post at the start and take care of that.

Other ideas welcome

A dedicated sample list of 2 player games (co-op & vs). That has to be one of the most asked questions in this topic.

Also, perhaps a list of child/family and solo games.

Blizzard

Banned
Just picked up Secrets - excited to check it out! Love a me a hidden role game.
Please post impressions once you've played it! I just saw it mentioned but I can't find anywhere selling it in the U.S. besides eBay.

*edit* I found it on Amazon, but I also found a mixed review that suggested there's not much agency towards winning. I'm guessing groups that like lying and random chaos could still enjoy it, though.

Manga gaf has a running list user reviews of games so that people who are looking for something new to read can see what other posters who share similar taste to them are also talking about. Might be a good idea for board game gaf too.

Draxal

FFG announced what looks like a partial Game of Thrones reskin based on the L5R world today.

l5b01_layout.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/30/battle-for-rokugan/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Manga gaf has a running list user reviews of games so that people who are looking for something new to read can see what other posters who share similar taste to them are also talking about. Might be a good idea for board game gaf too.

Actually that could be fun - have people help come up with a list of games that are "If you like ___, you should try ___!"

Karkador

Banned

That is a good idea.

Anything you guys wanna pull from other communities, feel free to suggest it.

I also received a suggestion to keep these lists on a shared google doc, so that it doesn't fall on one person to update it. What do you guys think about that vs. having links in the thread itself? Pros and cons?

Aaron

Please post impressions once you've played it! I just saw it mentioned but I can't find anywhere selling it in the U.S. besides eBay.

*edit* I found it on Amazon, but I also found a mixed review that suggested there's not much agency towards winning. I'm guessing groups that like lying and random chaos could still enjoy it, though.
Shut up and Sit Down has a really good review of it. Make sure to watch to the end where he gives solid reasons to be ho-hum about it.

One of our Meetup is at coffee shop and it work good if you have small group, I would say 12 people max unless you have a mega size coffee shop near you. The one we go to our host would call in the morning to reserve one of the big table. I would suggest you ask the manager first about having Meetup there. I actually really like the coffee shop experience as there are less noise from CCG player and have coffee and snacks. Someone above mentioned hours so keep in mind if you want to play at coffee shop it probably good to have it earlier in the day. Our group meet at 1030 and played until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That is a good idea.

Anything you guys wanna pull from other communities, feel free to suggest it.

I also received a suggestion to keep these lists on a shared google doc, so that it doesn't fall on one person to update it. What do you guys think about that vs. having links in the thread itself? Pros and cons?

Google docs are rad as hell and perfect for this sort of thing. I say go for it.

Also allows people to create tabs for specific reasons to help guide people along.

ultron87

I like the Google Doc idea. Should probably just hide the link to edit it behind a quote tag so we can't get mercilessly trolled by rival video game forum board game communities.

Draxal

I just don't see L5R being all that good of an investment for FFG, it's not exactly hot, it's target audience is heavy on the nostalgia fans of the old card game. L5R's other games never really went anywhere.

Tbh I think this is fine, its pretty much Shogun or that cmon Asian themed board mini game that came out recently, it's almost generic which I'm hoping is a good thing.

aegs other big L5r game was clan wars and it was kinda of a disaster, rank and file fantasy games are dying for a reason and that one was a horrible Warhammer fantasy clone with unimpressive minis

As for the card game, Aeg fucked up the story pretty badly and they're doing a harrrd reboot to get them out of that story quagmire.

Spookie

I just don't see L5R being all that good of an investment for FFG, it's not exactly hot, it's target audience is heavy on the nostalgia fans of the old card game. L5R's other games never really went anywhere.

It's a theme which hasn't been tapped. Regardless of it's history it's more intriguing to me than say: fantasy elves again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I knew 3 people who played L5R and got SUPER excited to show new people the game. Nobody stuck with it beyond an "intro" game. The theme just doesn't resonate.

zulux21

I mean I pretty regularly check the kickstarter stuff, but I only look at certain types of games, and I don't know if anyone else cares.

I mean the two that have caught my interests right now are

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...is-the-official-card-game?ref=profile_starred

there she is... which looks like a cute co op game but I haven't looked in detail as I usually don't until the last 2 days.

and
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/337407318/the-little-flower-shop?ref=profile_starred
the little flower shop. which looks cute, and is from dr. finn games thus caught my interest but again I haven't really looked into it much.

so I mean I can post about stuff that catches my interest but I am not sure how much that will help anyone else lol.

It's a theme which hasn't been tapped. Regardless of it's history it's more intriguing to me than say: fantasy elves again.

I'm talking about them actually expecting these to sell well? The theme will come off as very generic to the casual observer, and the L5R fanbase is just not that huge, and it's all centered around the card game. I just find it odd for them pushing the franchise into other games like this

I'm talking about them actually expecting these to sell well? The theme will come off as very generic to the casual observer, and the L5R fanbase is just not that huge, and it's all centered around the card game. I just find it odd for them pushing the franchise into other games like this

I take it they are trying to build their own IPs (terrinoth, netrunner, etc.) instead of trying to push external ones (sw, lotr, warhammer when they had them). It's the only way to keep moving forward now that asmodee is a bigger company.

EYEL1NER

at what point does a new topic become mandatory?
I was under the belief that threads over 20,000 posts had new threads created because 20,000 posts/200 pages caused some kind of strain on the servers or something. I could have sworn I read that there was some kind of 'issue' with threads that just accumulate tens of thousands of posts and new threads were the only fix. That was a while back though, so maybe something else was done to not require it anymore. I think maybe it might just be a preference for the shotcallers that threads just don't go on forever and eventually have a new spot where people can jump in. One huge never-ending thread can kind of lead to a community in that thread that others sometimes don't feel like they can break into (not that I feel like this thread has that problem, but there are definitely some large OTs where it has happened).

I was under the belief that threads over 20,000 posts had new threads created because 20,000 posts/200 pages caused some kind of strain on the servers or something. I could have sworn I read that there was some kind of 'issue' with threads that just accumulate tens of thousands of posts and new threads were the only fix. That was a while back though, so maybe something else was done to not require it anymore. I think maybe it might just be a preference for the shotcallers that threads just don't go on forever and eventually have a new spot where people can jump in. One huge never-ending thread can kind of lead to a community in that thread that others sometimes don't feel like they can break into (not that I feel like this thread has that problem, but there are definitely some large OTs where it has happened).

It breaks the search engine or some shit iirc

EYEL1NER

It breaks the search engine or some shit iirc
That sounds like something I've read before. I was trying to find an old thread or post where someone would have said "From now on, new threads at 20K posts" but I'm failing to turn up anything. I keep getting nothing but hits from lots of OTs where someone posted about needing a new thread at the almost-20k mark, even when I try to exclude a lot of terms that would lead me to those results.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So during the great floods this weekend, I was trapped at someones home with only Mistfall to play. I played a lot solo and that game is actually really, really good. Shame that I missed basically double the content by not catching it on kickstarter, or the standalone expansion. Really nicely done encounters and card combo play mixed in with an adventure type feel.

So during the great floods this weekend, I was trapped at someones home with only Mistfall to play. I played a lot solo and that game is actually really, really good. Shame that I missed basically double the content by not catching it on kickstarter, or the standalone expansion. Really nicely done encounters and card combo play mixed in with an adventure type feel.

I've just gotten to the point where I don't support games on Kickstarter or at retail that cordon off huge amounts of content. A promo character or set of cards is one thing, but an entire extra box of expansion modules, or what have you, completely drops the game off my radar. There are too many good games released every year for me to deal with that shit.

Top Bottom