• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

Interesting idea, but hooking this up to a HDTV isn't going to look great. Is this going to use the old red/yellow cables or what? I might check it out if they can get SE on it, like a new chrono trigger, final fantasy or something.

I have some bad news for you, no reputable publisher will license any valuable IP for this.

BibiMaghoo

I would buy this to have some modern games on a cartridge. That would be awesome. Don't Starve would be a must if it's possible.

Ziffles

Hope no one was actually expecting custom retro hardware:

[Update: Kennedy tells Ars via e-mail that though the team is "still in the process of juggling capability with price," the Retro VGS will be built on an "FPGA combined with ARM architecture... This isn't going to be a "toy" but will be a very sophisticated piece of solid state hardware. The RETRO VGS will have infinite developer expandability and longevity and should last peoples lifetimes which has been something very important to my team."]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWTKs77jH8U

The only way I could see something like this having the slightest chance of success would be if all of the following were true:

1) The system is dirt cheap. If it's $99, that's already too expensive.
2) The company behind it is going to support it extensively with high quality exclusive software of their own creation. If not a new Nintendo or Sega, they at least need to be a new Hudson or SNK.
3) The controller is quality. Comfortable with no lag.
4) They're willing to pay for quality 3rd party exclusives.

Honestly, I don't see any company that isn't already huge having a chance at this.

Hope no one was actually expecting custom retro hardware:

[Update: Kennedy tells Ars via e-mail that though the team is "still in the process of juggling capability with price," the Retro VGS will be built on an "FPGA combined with ARM architecture... This isn't going to be a "toy" but will be a very sophisticated piece of solid state hardware. The RETRO VGS will have infinite developer expandability and longevity and should last peoples lifetimes which has been something very important to my team."]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWTKs77jH8U

I'm calling it right now- their Kickstarter is going to talk about how their console will be "disruptive" to the industry status quo and redefine how we play games. When I watch their pitch video I'm going to take a shot every time they use the term "revolutionary."

I'll probably throw a dollar at them so I can make snarky remarks in their comments section later.

kswiston

I know people have fond memories of their childhoods, but why would you want a system that plays "retro" indie (phone) games on cartridges in 2015?

GulAtiCa

As a collector who loves cartridge consoles, this does peak my interest. I already buy brand new SNEs, Genesis, Dreamcast, etc games that are still being made today. I am certainly the target audience.

Pizza

i want this to not be a spectacular clusterfuck but i agree with everyone that this will be a spectacular clusterfuck

Same here! If games like Shovel Knight and Canabalt get released in cartridge form ill have to bite, even if the thing is clearly on it's way to ouya status. It's too cool not to have imo! I'd be extra happy if the devs released some sort of way to make a cart like the Everdrive and make steam-equivalent store to buy games for cheaper than cartridge-price. then your computer drops those games into your cartridge and you're golden.

putting online purchases onto a cart seems like a cool way to make the game-specific carts limited run items without ruining everything

Even if the licenses for 16-bit sequels to major IPs were within the affordability of a KS, 16-bit development at the quality of SNES and Genesis games is not. High quality sprite work is not cheap or easy. Neither are other aspects. I can only see ugly as sin indie games getting made for this, and the demand for those in cartridge format can't be that high.

While I'm all for the idea in principle, I don't see how it will work in practice.

Tigress

Why the fuck would I want to spend money on another new console when the devs could just release their games on Steam/Xbox/Playstation/WiiU?

This. And why would I want to go back to being limited to 16 bit games only with my console? Not to mention cost of the cartridge making the games more expensive on top of that.

And if the game has a bug, well, good luck updating it. Sure, that means they have to try harder but that doesn't mean it won't happen. This also makes it more expensive/pain for developers so I see this not working out for developers either. I thought one reason PSX won over Nintendo was because developers liked CDs better than cartridges (not as expensive for one).

Same here! If games like Shovel Knight and Canabalt get released in cartridge form ill have to bite, even if the thing is clearly on it's way to ouya status.

And I think this is the most realistic expectation even if you do want something like this. Get it cause you find it is cool but don't expect it's going to take off at all.

CTLance

No GPU and sound chip info, no hype from me.

If this was a cheap throwback to the early days with sprite engines, VBlank interrupt shenanigans, bank switching, palettes out the wazoo and stupidly specific helper chips like highly programmable but at the same time severely gimped sound hardware I might be interested, if only to fuck around with it like some gargantuan interconnected nerd puzzle.

If it's just a generic ARM SoC with a 3D GPU being forced to pull 2D duty and a normal generic "just do most of the stuff in software" approach to functionality, then I can't even put into words just how not interested I'd be.

(And if it was a throwback, which dev in their right mind would spend time and money on programming for that dead end of a system. It makes no sense.)

So I'm suspecting it will be a normal ARM SoC with some very minor tweaks. Which is something I'm not exactly thrilled about. Forcing it down the "no net, physical release and mostly pixel" route will not exactly make me any more hyped.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I want Nintendo to go back to making and manufacturing N64 games.

yeah, that sounds like a good way to lose a little money

Nintendo should really go in the opposite direction. Release a $60 machine, brand it the Virtual Console, and sell classic games that way.

Ziffles

I'm calling it right now- their Kickstarter is going to talk about how their console will be "disruptive" to the industry status quo and redefine how we play games. When I watch their pitch video I'm going to take a shot every time they use the term "revolutionary."

I'll probably throw a dollar at them so I can make snarky remarks in their comments section later.

Oh shit I missed the second part. I bet they'll say it's "hackable" too.

And how exactly is it going to have "infinite developer expandability" if the games must come on flash cartridges?

Rolf NB

I'm shocked and awed by how misguided this is. Hasnt Ouya's recent failure already proven that things like this are only ever going to bomb, hard?

Well ... good luck anyway.

Big One

Banned
I like the idea of physical indie releases on a budget console.
I somewhat like cartridges cause nostalgia.
Eh on 16bit. Needs more 32bit.
If they do end up using actual 16bit they need HD support imo. That way we can get some people to develop true HD 16bit games. That'd be sweet.

I love the idea of picking up the rights to make new games for series that haven't seen a sequel in many years but I would also prefer that the content isn't limited to an exclusive console. I hate having to get several platforms for games that interest me and of course I don't "have to" buy anything, but I mean from an accessibility stand point exclusives are pretty frustrating. I also like the idea of a modern cartridge based console, I think the best of both worlds would be to put games on this console for an exclusive time period and after that time bring the game to other platforms. I never got an Ouya because 2 or 3 games wasn't enough to justify that particular purchase to me, but I'm so happy that Towerfall, Duck Game and Amazing Frog have all come to PC.

Ziffles

I just... fuck

I mean, you can get a credit card-sized Raspberry Pi 700mhz machine for $35, and the Tegra 3 1.4ghz quad-core OUYA was $99. What the hell are they going to do with ARM to make it "retro"? Are they going to downclock the shit out of it just for the sake of limitations? Are they just going to use the Nintendo DS ARM chip setup? Oh boy!

Good god the more I think about this the more brain-meltingly stupid it becomes.

Eh on 16bit. Needs more 32bit.
If they do end up using actual 16bit they need HD support imo. That way we can get some people to develop true HD 16bit games. That'd be sweet.

If they end up using an ARM CPU like they claim, then it will be a 32bit system at the least. Even the Atari Jaguar was mostly a 32bit system, as the audio and GPU chips are CPU were both 32bit, though it also has a 16bit Motorola 68000 in it as well.

I think something more along the lines of an early 32bit system would be better (32x, Jaguar) choice.

So I'm suspecting it will be a normal ARM SoC with some very minor tweaks. Which is something I'm not exactly thrilled about. Forcing it down the "no net, physical release and mostly pixel" route will not exactly make me any more hyped.

Yeah just being another ARM device takes the way the appeal of it as a hobbyist game console. Why get this, when you could buy a Raspberry Pi 2 and put it in your own custom case?

Though I suppose having a cartridge slot would be one of the few draws.

baphomet

If they end up using an ARM CPU like they claim, then it will be a 32bit system at the least. Even the Atari Jaguar was mostly a 32bit system, as the audio and GPU chips are CPU were both 32bit, though it also has a 16bit Motorola 68000 in it as well.

I think something more along the lines of an early 32bit system would be better (32x, Jaguar) choice.

Yeah just being another ARM device takes the way the appeal of it as a hobbyist game console. Why get this, when you could buy a Raspberry Pi 2 and put it in your own custom case?

Though I suppose having a cartridge slot would be one of the few draws.

This will be far more powerful than any retro system. It will basically be running emulators of different systems, and probably android ports of newer games would be my guess. There will not actually be any retro hardware outside the jaguar case molds.

Tain

I just... fuck

I mean, you can get a credit card-sized Raspberry Pi 700mhz machine for $35, and the Tegra 3 1.4ghz quad-core OUYA was $99. What the hell are they going to do with ARM to make it "retro"? Are they going to downclock the shit out of it just for the sake of limitations? Are they just going to use the Nintendo DS ARM chip setup? Oh boy!

Good god the more I think about this the more brain-meltingly stupid it becomes.

Yeah, it's actively bothering me lol

SerTapTap

This is crazy stupid frankly. I get what they're getting at, but seriously no. He have platforms getting easier than ever to develop for and distribute to, and this is just a massive step back in every single way. Like making an SDK and "printer" for an existing retro console to help devs port to a real retro system would be one thing, but this is nuts.

Extra effort, insanely limited install base, insanely limited system for absolutely no reason, fake carts (an SNES cart is not just flash memory like a USB stick/memory card, that's why 3DS and Vita games have loading times). The recycled chassis and controller are admirable ideas, but all in all this makes less sense than Ouya. Zero reason to work on this when you could target Android TV or a "couch ready" prebuilt PC.

I can't find it now, but I also recall some devs working on an imaginary 8(?) bit "console" you develop digital games for with strict (artificial) restrictions, honestly that makes a lot more sense. Make a retro SDK, not a console. Or print "carts" of PC games. This? Crazy.

I'd say there's a 0 percent chance of RCR making it to this console. These are the same guys that (wisely) chose not to port their game to Wii U because the WiiWare version would be the same and works on Wii U in Wii mode anyways.

I say this with love, but Brian Provinciano is one crazy dude and I think there's a possibility he'd do it, but they'd probably have to pay him or do the work--he did say the actual legit 8 bit version of RCR was too damn much work (but he WAS making one and got pretty far), he also released on almost every platform his own damn self, released TWO physical releases of crazy low print runs, AND released a wiiware version knowing he would literally never see a dime from it. He's a crazy dude and it's pretty awesome.

yeah, that sounds like a good way to lose a little money

Nintendo should really go in the opposite direction. Release a $60 machine, brand it the Virtual Console, and sell classic games that way.

I don't really care about the business side. I just want what I want.

I'm all for physical releases of previously digital-only games, but eehhh. An entirely new system is really unappealing.

Why not 'Kickstart' as a publisher for existing consoles? More and more indie games are getting the retail treatment these days (especially in Europe) and that's fantastic. The niche collector market is already there (just look at lengths some Vita fans go through to secure physical games). Why not target the existing market?

Is this...hipster game technology? Like what is the actual draw of this?

No. You must be thinking of this.

hipster_videosport.png

fernoca

Like it, keeping an eye out. As long as the games are there and good ones, not the flood of "retro" games that are either horrible clones ...or just horrible.

Afrodium

Banned
These guys are stupidly optimistic if they think that developers will revive old IPs for this console and not also release the games as digital downloads on platforms people also own. The indie market would make sense of it didn't make any sense for indies to pay for all of the added expense of physical media. It's just a bad idea all around. It's a fun concept but makes no practical sense at all.

Jaeger

I had a long post ready, but honestly it just comes down to the system being really ugly. It's why I didn't get a Jaguar the first time. I think it's a big misstep using Atari shells and carts for this project. I like the idea, but I don't want that thing on my shelf.

Big One

Banned
If they can get the rights to put a new Actraiser on that system that would be pretty damn sweet. but it's probably something shit like Bubsy.

Green Yoshi

These guys are stupidly optimistic if they think that developers will revive old IPs for this console and not also release the games as digital downloads on platforms people also own. The indie market would make sense of it didn't make any sense for indies to pay for all of the added expense of physical media. It's just a bad idea all around. It's a fun concept but makes no practical sense at all.

Unless you don't start the production before you have enough orders for a physical version. It's a niche, but I think there are some collectors out there that want to put games as Braid, Shantae and Thomas was alone into their shelves.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

A stripped down version of the Wii hardware (no disk drive) with net access to all Wii (and Wii U?) VC titles would probably sell REALLY well during the Christmas season. Sell it for $50 with a few games and a Wii remote/classic controller. Those Atari clones seem to sell every year...

Hermii

Sounds really stupid to me. If you want modern indie games why not buy them on any other platform? If you want old games there are plenty of 16 bits game consoles on eBay.

So this is essentially going the be a jaguar shell with a raspberry pi in it, to allow you to play a jaguar cartridge with an sd card in it using a substandard third party wii controller?

As financially stupid making a true 16bit console would be for them at least there might be a niche market for that sort of thing but this, surely not.

Top Bottom