• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crash Bandicoot design spotted at Vicarious Visions office

I wonder if Crash will ever be done well again.

Also, this guy:

cgOND.jpg

bigace33

Yikes, looks even worse than the old design. Meh, never been a big fan of Crash anyway. I only liked Crash Team Racing out of all the Crash games.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Eh, I don't dislike it. Of course it's not really proof that a new Crash Bandicoot game is in development, these studios often hang up concept or early promo art on the walls just because it looks nice.

Kurtofan

I was ready to go "ugggh" at a possible grimdark Crash ala SkySpyro, but instead went ":3 :3" at this adorable creature :3

Takao

Banned
He reminds me of the old Chuck E. Cheese design. He looks plump, but at least he looks like Crash Bandicoot. Spyro is still a goblin.

You know you're old when Crash is someone elses childhood hero.

That aside, Crash = Naughty Dog. The rest is just total failure. I wonder why Sony let go the only mascot they've ever had. It's not like the rights were worth like billions at the time.

Mr Jared

Let's be real. Crash has always been ugly looking.

Yeaaaah.. I love the first 3 Crash games, but his design is classic 90's awful. He's wearing jorts, after all. That said, I found this image online of his redesign history-

I always thought the 2007 redesign, tribal tattoos aside, was actually pretty cute. In-game he didn't talk and was kind of goofy. It was actually a pretty good modern interpretation of his character from the 90's but I know it gets a TON of hate.

He may have featured in a few decent games, but Crash has ALWAYS been a poor character in my opinion. He lacks the charm of many of the old school rodent mascots.

Fox Mulder

You know you're old when Crash is someone elses childhood hero.

That aside, Crash = Naughty Dog. The rest is just total failure. I wonder why Sony let go the only mascot they've ever had. It's not like the rights were worth like billions at the time.

Sony never owned the rights.

Yawnier

Banned
I wonder if Crash will ever be done well again.

The only other developer besides Naughty Dog who personally, I thought did an okay job with Crash was Traveller's Tales.

The Wrath of Cortex was very 'meh', but Crash Twinsanity was a good game developed by them. Not as good as the ones on the PS1 developed by ND mind you, but it still was an enjoyable game for what it was, IMO.

I really think TT could have made a really good Crash game after Twinsanity hadn't they the duty of developing a million Lego titles for Warner Bros for the past 6 - 7 years or so.

I don't think it looks all that bad. The eyes are a little odd, but it looks far better than the look he had on the PS1. Glad they dropped the tribal tats from the later redesigns too.

Takao

Banned
This design is universally more recognizable as Crash Bandicoot than the last reboot Activision canned.

DjRoomba

Banned
How the hell do you make a modern Crash game?
Crash sucks yall, some seem to forget how ridiculously linear and primitive it was. The whole 3 games were straight paths fa christ sake lol.
Maybe the only chance of revival is endless runner on ipad.

Santiako

How the hell do you make a modern Crash game?
Crash sucks yall, some seem to forget how ridiculously linear and primitive it was. The whole 3 games were straight paths fa christ sake lol.
Maybe the only chance of revival is endless runner on ipad.

This is the worst post of the history of internet.

Lijik

There was nothing wrong with the original crash bandicoot design, why has he been butchered so much.

I remember the redesign for Crash of the Titans was because the proportions of the original Crash wasn't working out for the combat animations the team wanted to do. Then I guess they redesigned everyone else so it wouldnt look weird. And added tribal tats because ya gotta have dat attitude

Rubius

This is the worst post of the history of internet.

Crash is bad. At least the first one, didnt play 2 and 3. And the main reason why, is because its like Donkey Kong Country, pretty much the same difficulty, but to save, you have to FUCKING FIND 3 DAMN BARREL IN A LEVEL.
Or what? Well you die, and go back 3 level. I really dont like Crash, I'm stuck in the final island without the will to push hard enough to finish the game. Maybe next month. Maybe.

WillyFive

The design looks very retro, straight out of the 90's.

I always thought the 2007 redesign, tribal tattoos aside, was actually pretty cute. In-game he didn't talk and was kind of goofy. It was actually a pretty good modern interpretation of his character from the 90's but I know it gets a TON of hate.

Yeah, it was a very good redesign. Too bad it wasn't featured in any game good enough to redeem the series.

The problem with later variations on Crash's look wasn't necessarily the "ugliness" of the character- this was never a particularly good looking character- but it was the inability of the PS2/Wii games' developers to make him as insanely expressive and cartoonish as Naughty Dog did. He was a character designed to be twisted and contorted and thrown around, in a way (the ridiculous death animations are tantamount to that), whilst later games (around the 2007 one) seemed to try and make him a more traditional mascot, one that's visually appealing in a static pose (which is so not Crash at all).

This new design seems to follow that trend. :/

RobbieNick

Actually in terms of character design, I really like this. He looks both tough and cuddly at the same time. I will say he has less of a wild look in his face, so he seems less deranged.

That's what WereSonic looked like? Like really?
I'm okay with Sonic the Werehog if only because his personality didn't change when he transformed. They could have easily turned him into an angry, hulkish Shadow and I'm glad they at least held back that much.

.la1n

Less interested in how they approach the new design and more interested in whether it's a worthy entry, I just want one good Crash game post Naughty Dog - I know it's a lot to ask.

Top Bottom