• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

FluxWaveZ

I never understood Nagito's popularity. Dude was just creepy and insane. Not even likeable. Well, to me.

Nagito is the best character in the entire series.

I'd rather have more malicious, mysterious characters pushed by ulterior motives than friendly characters who get along with everyone. DR2 and V3 were full of this, while I liked DR1 a lot for how much a lot of them didn't get along.

Kyoko's English VO was really good (Same VA as Kaede). I tweeted the VA way back after playing DR1 and she was appreciative. She was relatively unknown at the time. Now she's in P5 etc. Much deserved.

Who does she voice in P5? :O

I love stuff like this. I tweeted the guy who voice acted Phoenix Wright in the Layton crossover (ended up apparently being from my city lmao) and he was super nice about it too.

LiK

Im glad they didn't go down the obvious route of having her be a killer. It wouldn't have made much sense because she controls through love instead and she didn't want to leave. It would have been a nonsensical move that ruins the character for the sake of moving the plot along like they did with Miu.

Eh I dunno. You can maybe argue that it could have been obvious, but that would have depended on the way they executed it.
I was hoping she'd have some kind of fucked up true nature exposed.

A crazy demented Angie would've given me nightmares.

He's was the reason why 2-5 was the best case in the series. His insanity is what makes him a great character. Yeah, he isn't likable, but he is still the most interesting character in DR2 due to how he affects the rest of the characters in that game.

It's also why Kokichi is a great character in DRv3, but to a way lesser extent.

I guess I just hate those nightmare faces they make. *shudders*

Who does she voice in P5? :O

I love stuff like this. I tweeted the guy who voice acted Phoenix Wright in the Layton crossover (ended up apparently being from my city lmao) and he was super nice about it too.

Ann

PK Gaming

Nagito is popular because he's the single best DR character. The intrigue, tension and general insanity he brought to the game alone make him a legend, and his presence during the trials made them play out differently from the other games. He isn't my favorite character, but he's the best one. Tons of depth too, if you're willing to dig into it.

His fanbase being absolute garbage doesn't preclude him from being good.

I'm shocked that the female character that falls for someone other than the MC isn't that popular. SHOCKED.

Same thing happened with Peko didn't it?

Well no, I'm pretty sure people actually liked Peko in Japan

The issue is that Maki is pretty basic. Even if you discount her crush on her Kaito (and you can literally NTR him in the Love Hotel mode, so lol), she doesn't stack up well with the rest of the cast. Like by the end Shuichi and Yumeno are sufficiently different as characters, but she doesn't have much going for her other than "love redeems" and "be less of an ice queen."

Also "ultimate assassin" is such a low tier twist, lol.

Honestly I found Miu consistently entertaining, even if a bit one-note. I think I'd have liked it if they made her more interesting by actually doubling on the Keebo/Miu coupling. It's apt and could've been funny.

She got screwed over in CH4 :c

That said, her biggest issue (for me) is that like Kiyo (and Kirumi/Ryoma to some extent) the moment she did something out of the ordinary for her, she fucking died.

Don't know how much of it was deliberate but really, V3's intermediary trials (2-3-4 and to some extent 5) are too predictable from a narrative standpoint, which weakens them.

LiK

They did a good job with making Nagito seem normal at first. They sorta wanted to give off the same vibes with Rantaro at the beginning of V3 too. But I knew that was too obvious.

I felt so bad for Gonta. His English VA made me wanna cry when he found out he killed Miu.

PK Gaming

They did a good job with making Nagito seem normal at first. They sorta wanted to give off the same vibes with Rantaro at the beginning of V3 too. But I knew that was too obvious.

I remember getting spoiled about his insanity, so I was really upset going into DR2 (since I assumed it would happen in Chapter 5/6)

Then it happened in Chapter 1 and I knew I was in for the wildest fucking time.

I remember getting spoiled about his insanity, so I was really upset going into DR2 (since I assumed it would happen in Chapter 5/6)

Then it happened in Chapter 1 and I knew I was in for the wildest fucking time.
He really changes the game immediately, and even has his own development like when he starts detesting people.

I felt so bad for Gonta. His English VA made me wanna cry when he found out he killed Miu.
😭😭😭

I couldn't feel for Gonta honestly. His speech pattern was so grating to me (especially after learning that that was a decision on the localization's part and is not how he actually speaks) that I felt nothing when he died.

LiK

I couldn't feel for Gonta honestly. His speech pattern was so grating to me (especially after learning that that was a decision on the localization's part and is not how he actually speaks) that I felt nothing when he died.

It didn't bother me but I liked his performance overall. It was good casting. His Punishment was just as underwhelming as Kiyo's, imo

kewlmyc

Well no, I'm pretty sure people actually liked Peko in Japan

The issue is that Maki is pretty basic. Even if you discount her crush on her Kaito (and you can literally NTR him in the Love Hotel mode, so lol), she doesn't stack up well with the rest of the cast. Like by the end Shuichi and Yumeno are sufficiently different as characters, but she doesn't have much going for her other than "love redeems" and "be less of an ice queen."

Also "ultimate assassin" is such a low tier twist, lol.

Fair points. She was the least developed out of the final 3 survivors. Part of me still believes she isn't as popular as Kyoko (who took a similar role to her in DR1, as the female with the most plot focus after the "main love interest" dies), mainly due to the whole liking Kaito thing. She's not even disliked, just in the dead middle in terms of popularity. I'm guess Kodaka just was expecting her at the top of the list, but didn't get that. This is the guy that expected Miu to be dead last, so obviously he a bad judge of popularity.

Also, do the Love Hotel scenes even count? Everyone wants a piece of Shuichi in them, even to the point a lot of them act OOC.

I thought I'd feel this way about him due to "Caveman speak" for stupid people being such a bad cliche, but his VA really sold it in Chapter 4. Turned me around on the character.

BUT GONTA DON'T REMEMBER! GONTA WON'T KILL!

T_T

Ugh ;_;

I think the part that got me the most was when Shuichi said "I'm going to go over everything one more time. You just let me know when you feel convinced, OK?" (something like that) and Gonta was bawling and just said "OK..."

MY HEART.

What? Really? Mind blown. So they made Gonta speak like a Tarzan parody on purpose in the English version? Huh. Is there any kind of distinct speech pattern or accent for him in the JP version?

What? Really? Mind blown. So they made Gonta speak like a Tarzan parody on purpose in the English version? Huh. Is there any kind of distinct speech pattern or accent for him in the JP version?
Don't think so- my friends who know Japanese and/or French told me that Gonta was supposed to be more effeminate than an outright buffoon. Gonta is apparently kind and impulsive, but not dumb.

GSR

Not that I recall, other than him referring to himself in the third person. He also used some more polite speech patterns sometimes IIRC? Nothing like Kirumi but he had the whole "Gonta is a gentleman" thing.

Jeffrey

I'm glad in this game for the most part it's not slapping you in the face about hope and despair (until near the end).

Got a bit silly in 2 and despair girls lol.

Gonta is adorable but I kinda wish he did something with his strength besides move the manhole.

It's keebo at the end that opened up all the doors lol.

What happens at the end if you voted or chose hope answers or played the mini games?

Does it go to a bad end?

NotLiquid

It kinda dawns on me that out of the five scrum debates in the game, two of them (Chapter 3 and Chapter 5) were kinda pointless since Shuichi's side was in the wrong.

Like, for real, if the "vote now" crowd won in Chapter 3, we'd be none the wiser.

EDIT: Also, Miu is the only character who never sided with the protagonist in any scrum debate. Ryoma as well but then he's only present in one trial while she's present in three.

saturnine

I have a really hard time consolidating my thoughts on the characters. I have grievances, especially when it comes to some of their motives, but they can all be countered by the "it's all a lie script!" twist. While I like the moral of the story — looking forward to and enjoying a DanganRonpa game is kind of fucked up — I fear they might have pushed their luck too far by writing the whole experience as being entirely artificial.

That said, taking the characters at face value, my thoughts :

Shuichi : The best protagonist in the main games thanks to how his character develops, but that's not saying much. Really like how he channeled his inner "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" in the finale. Bonus points for the snazzy outfit.

KAITO MOMOTA, LUMINARY OF THE STARS : Cool dude. Stupid dude. Only part of going along with Kokichi's plan that made sense is protecting Maki. Not much else to say really. Minus points for wearing fucking slippers, like what the hell dude.

Rantaro : Wasted character. The whole "mysterious dude hiding behind a smile" could have been a really cool juxtaposition to Kokichi. One of the best designs in the cast too.

Ryoma : Really cool and chill dude, but he didn't have much else going on either. Could have been a voice of reason in class trials, but the game wasn't exactly lacking in this department anyway.

Gonta : The Sweetest Soul of them all. Sure he was a bit one note, but who cares. His chapter was pure bullshit.

Kibo : Eh. Some humorous moments, but a bit of a mess of a character. A real kid turned into a robot? Or not? Who got his personality erased at the end? But not entirely? Otherwise, useless for most of the game. Pretty cool facial expressions though!

Korekiyo : Another waste of a character. Dude was a bit of a nutjob but he seemed like he had a very good head on his shoulders during class trials without being nefarious. Could have went against expectations that shady looking characters MUST be killers.

Kokichi : Oh man. I was on board with him being a wild card until chapter 4. Pushing Gonta to commit a murder though? That made no fucking sense, especially considering his backstory. Dude was supposed to be the ultimate supreme leader of a band of tricksters. This whole chapter is a big shit stain mark on both the game and his character, completely derailing him from "shady dude fighting his own way" to "you know what, fuck his murderous ass". A shame for what is one of the best written characters in the game.

Angie : Creepiest character with zero redeemable feature. The cult brainwashing student council plot went nowhere fast, and her with it.

Kirumi : Like Kiyo, a cool-headed character (with a much less interesting personality) wasted on a really stupid motive that was a lie. The only good execution in the game.

Tenko : Got fridged the second she started developing an actual personality. Source of a few humorous jokes at least.

Himiko : I really like the parallel between her and Shuichi. A character introduced as being meek and uninvolved (one because of laziness, the other because of self-depreciation) that starts to grow once their love interest gets fridged. Sadly, that's the only thing of note for her.

Maki : Nice character, with an actual arc, and a good surprise in seeing her not fall for the MC (though even that gets nullified because it's all a lie).

Miu : An acquired taste, but I found her absolutely hilarious. Her love key scene had me in stitches. Sadly, she was one of the main characters in the worst chapter, with a non-existent motive and a pointless death.

Tsumugi : A boring "good" character before the reveal, but that was on purpose because it was a lie. A boring antagonist after the reveal. Bonus point for letting me appreciate how the artstyle of the characters improved since the first game, I guess.

Kaede : Waste, once again I invoke thy name. Setting aside how fridging the first female protagonist in the mainline games is a bad look, they did her so fucking dirty. Breaking the rules of narration, sure, but breaking the rules of their own game? On the first trial? With zero repercussion in the grand scheme of things? First grade bullshit, for a cheap protagonist switcheroo twist. If the writers wanted me to feel angry at how unfair this bullshit is, I guess they got what they wanted, but not necessarily toward the intended recipient. If you want to write a killing game and have me care about the characters, you have a single rule to respect above all else : life is precious. You can't throw it on the ground and trample it just for the sake of a twist. I've always disliked how Mukuro died in the first game, and Kaede is that turned up to eleven.

With all that said, here's my issue with this cast : not enough actual antagonists. For a narrative built around the theme of truth vs lies, almost everyone was straightforward, trusting and on the side of truth except for a single little asshole (and the culprits of each case, but even then that's not consistent.)
Compare that with the first cast, full of assholes, shady characters and hot-blooded morons, which created an ambience of distrust and paranoia.
The game isn't helped by the abysmal motives of each blackened. We went from :

- I almost got killed and decided to take my chance to get out of this hell
- I snapped from the pressure
- I did it in cold blood for money
- I snapped from the pressure and killed myself

to

- I snapped from the pressure (but didn't actually kill anyone) / I broke the rules just becuz
- I did it to MAKE JAPAN GREAT AGAIN
- I did it TO SEND SOULS TO MY DEAD SISTER THAT INHABIT MY BODY
- I wanted to do it because...? / I was suggested to do it at the exact time I was conveniently brainwashed by accident / I suggested someone to do it instead of defending myself from a plan I knew beforehand because...? (Seriously, this case is the worst)

There's a reason why the murders in the first game were so heartwrenching : they were the results of people being pushed past their breaking point. They were relatable. They were fundamentally human. The only one that works in DRV3 is Kaede's, but it was actually bullshit. And again, all my criticism is meaningless, because it was all a lie anyway.

Man, the more I think about this game, the more bummed I get. The story of a bunch of mostly nice people getting killed for bullshit reasons. It was aesthetically pretty dope at least.

It's been so long that I don't remember what her motive was.

Was literally just gonna post this lol.

She was going to use her money from gambling and the motive to buy an old European Castle and then have a harem of vampire butlers

e086f3b5940ca299dac68d7a48557d2c029b4b45_hq.jpg

Zeroro

It's been so long that I don't remember what her motive was.

From what I remember, she basically just wanted to use the money that was presented as a motive to buy a castle and be showered in affection by a bunch of handsome dudes, lol.

EDIT: Sorta right!

NotLiquid

Funny thing, replaying some of the older chapters kind of makes me realize Danganronpa games have a habit of turning some of the more capable characters into absolute assholes in Chapter 3. In DR1 there was a little more pretext for it based on the given motive and their previous behavior in the game, while DR2 actually has a surprisingly poignant twist that ends up playing into the overarching plot of the game, especially how one of the most helpful characters in the cast does a complete 180.

But in V3, Korekiyo doesn't really have that excuse. He doesn't come across as an asshole. He's just fucking weird, and I hate it. Like, I actually really liked how he was as a character in the trials and during the investigation. He was obviously a little "out there" but I felt like that was another case of the game just playing with our assumptions that he may or may not be a lunatic. Then the way he's calculating, keeps his composure and, much like Shuichi, actually stays on the right track during everything (he's one of the few non-deuteragonist characters who rejects the student council), actually makes him a surprisingly engaging character.

But then, y'know, the whole "actually I wanted to kill the girls because my dead sister lol" twist gets dropped that has nothing to do with the motive, completely out of nowhere and is just the first time the game has such a boring reveal that alone kind of ruins his character. I know people take the piss out of Kirumi's motivations but at least that had some clever, or at least funny metaphors with the whole "maid" being the person serving their country. It was way more interesting than when DR2 tried doing the same with the "muh master's tool" crap. But Korekiyo's twist is so bad I'm surprised they didn't have him remove his hat and show that he has "DAMAGED." tattooed on his forehead.

Jigorath

Banned
I remember the Celeste case being really obvious that she was the culprit and it made the rest of the cast look like braindead morons for not realizing that immediately.

LiK

I remember the Celeste case being really obvious that she was the culprit and it made the rest of the cast look like braindead morons for not realizing that immediately.

I only remember that the case was very convoluted and the investigation section was longer than expected. It was like a whirlwind. It's been a while tho.

Yeah I remember realizing she was the one who did it pretty early on.

Lmao. I just reminded myself of her punishment. I don't know why it made me laugh so hard. It just came out of the blue to the point where i was like "where the fuck did that truck come from"

Jigorath

Banned
Celeste led everyone on a 20 minute wild goose chase where people kept dying. It was like some Scooby Doo shit. "Hey look the culprit's on this floor... Oh we just missed him. He must have went upstairs. Come on let's go!"

And then she tried to pin the crime on a guy who's too stupid to tie his shoes?

LiK

Celeste led everyone on a 20 minute wild goose chase where people kept dying. It was like some Scooby Doo shit. "Hey look the culprit's on this floor... Oh we just missed him. He must have went upstairs. Come on let's go!"

And then she tried to pin the crime on a guy who's too stupid to tie his shoes?

Yea, it was pretty hilarious.

NotLiquid

Yeah I remember realizing she was the one who did it pretty early on.

Lmao. I just reminded myself of her punishment. I don't know why it made me laugh so hard. It just came out of the blue to the point where i was like "where the fuck did that truck come from"

Both Celeste and Mikan have some of the least catharsis in their punishments, which is funny because outside of Korekiyo they're also the most abhorrent killers in the series. But I guess that's the point - the fact that the game isn't giving us the satisfaction of a worse punishment, and also the fact that they either die in the complete opposite ways they hoped, or that it's an embarrassing way for their characters to go out on.

Which makes it all the more surprising that they decided to make Korekiyo's death so "satisfying". Usually those kinds of punishments go out on a whimper, but no, they really emphasized how despair-inducing it was for the blackened this time around.

Now I'm bummed out thinking about Kaede's punishment. Didn't think they could top Chiaki, but they did.

Now I'm bummed out thinking about Kaede's punishment. Didn't think they could top Chiaki, but they did.

Ugh. Yeah that one was really upsetting :(. Chiaki was brutal too, especially because I had all that time to spend my free time with her up until that point.

For me, the most brutal execution was the baseball guy in the first game (i think he was the first punishment too). like it actually made me feel sick to see it. What a way to start the series LOL

LiK

Baseball guy's death still one of the most brutal punishments. I really wish they kept up the brutality of all the punishments. Every game starts strong and then the later ones are just kinda weak.

Baseball guy's death still one of the most brutal punishments. I really wish they kept up the brutality of all the punishments. Every game starts strong and then the later ones are just kinda weak.

Yeah, I find that's happened with every game thus far.

That one though really got me. It was fucking brutal to watch. The non-pink, full red blood at the end on the ball too. Ugh.

ibyea

Banned

Wasn't the reason Leon's punishment is so brutal is that it is a leftover from the initial conception of the series, which had a more horror-esque vibe?

NotLiquid

That was kinda something I think V3 got a bit more right. I was kinda shocked that Kirumi's punishment was so visceral. Like, when the saw blades started popping up I actually got some DR3 flashbacks of the quite frankly, excruciating moment where Chiaki was forced to endure Junko's death maze. I half expected her to end up dismembered by the end of it. Gonta's punishment was also really cruel compared to previous Ch 4 punishments.

In a way I think punishments kinda lose the shock value after the first one, which is why they focus more on "gag" ones after the fact. But in general I think V3 did well with cruel and unusual deaths, not necessarily making every one of them gory, but still disturbing.

LiK

may I reminded you mondo got turned into butter

True.

Wasn't the reason Leon's punishment is so brutal is that it is a leftover from the initial conception of the series, which had a more horror-esque vibe?

I don't know since I didn't read up on the making of the game. But I can see that. It just seemsit's been a trend in every game where the first and second punishments are much more brutal and gruesome than the latter ones. V3 seems to follow the trend.

I love how the Abridged series joked about how obviously OoC Celeste was during that entire case.

"OK gang, let's split up and search for clues."
"Who are you?"

By the way, Mikan still has the worst "execution."

His was also the only time that they showed actual red blood in the game series, right? Or am I missing another time? I always thought there was some significance to that but I was probably reading into it too much.

LiK

His was also the only time that they showed actual red blood in the game series, right? Or am I missing another time? I always thought there was some significance to that but I was probably reading into it too much.

The old Hope's Peak classroom also had red blood. That def stuck out.

Not gonna lie, the pink blood always took me outta it. I guess they didn't want to make it too gruesome but it does take away the horror when blood is pink.

Top Bottom