• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

GoldStarz

I think I might have been too harsh, so genuinely sorry about that. That said, I 100% stand by what I said. Every character in DR3 is worthless, every character is creatively bankrupt, they all have bad designs and laughably weak motivations.

Well, everyone save Juzo.

The only characters I can think of with weak motives are Tengan, Ryota, and the DoA crew. Everyone else has believable enough motives for what they do. I also can't really see where you get them all being poorly design, most of the designs are solid and it's not like they changed character designers or anything.

The only creatively bankrupt decision of DR3 was to kill every new character off from the get go so that they could give the old characters a sappy ending.

ChrisD

A fighting game without Himiko is wrong. I want her to have a spammable fireball and say "magic" in every line.

Add in a lazy (slow) Shoryuken with super low hit priority that she makes a "Nyeeeh" sound with and you've already created a Himiko FG character.

FStubbs

Found this on reddit, maybe something else pointing towards their audition tapes being faked.

bme84sa.jpg
Geez Kaede is beautiful

That's a great find. She has sets in there and everything - it's a full studio and who knows what she could fake in there.

FStubbs

Off the top of my head, at one point in chapter 1 they reference a trial that we haven't seen ourselves, so you can infer that there have been more killing games from that.
There's also a bit more fourth wall breaking than usual even before the final chapter? Like the first scene of the game is Kaede introducing herself as the protagonist, so the idea of it going meta generally may occur to the player, even if not to that extent.
There's also how ridiculous some of the flashbacks are even by Danganronpa standards, but honestly this is the same series where Komaru gets possessed by a ghost randomly for plot exposition, so your mileage may vary there.
Other than that though... the theme of truth and lies? If you took that to its logical extreme, everything being potentially a lie is definitely a pretty reasonable conclusion to come to. Although again, mileage may vary.

IIRC Komaru said she's susceptible to being possessed by ghosts, which means it's common for her. Maybe if Hope's Peak had a 79th class she would've been Ultimate Medium.

It really bugs me how everyone talks about the faking stuff even though the game spends like two hours thoroughly explaining why they wouldn't have had to and couldn't fake it. Tsumgi's room has a classroom set too- maybe the opening where none of them were ultimates was faked too?! Nobody at the beginning of the game outside of like Rantaro remembers the killing game or auditioning because they got hit by the black light. Kaede barely even remembers her own name. They shouldn't have even been there without the flashback light but the Monokubs messed up. I dunno why Rantaro remembers anything at all but maybe Black lights get less effective or he's just intuitive.

The problem with the twist is that there was no hints for it from what I can tell.

Anyone notice anything that hinted to the twist?
Mostly the opening. The game forces you to watch a trailer for the first three games and anime that ends with "But wait, there's more! Danganronpa V3!" Kaede introduces herself as the protagonist and you see them all as normal mind wiped students, you see them get their new Ultimate personalities and even clothing. The opening reel has "Team Danganronpa" in it which isn't a thing.

Outside of that there are a lot of clues that this is the same world in which Hope's Peak was a thing before chapter 5. The only thing that stands out to me for the whole V3 twist after the prologue is when Shuichi and Maki find pictures of all the old Danganronpa murders in Shuichi's lab, and they start out as illustrations because they're from the fictional murder games before being photos from the TV show. I guess Kaito not knowing anything about Junko would count too since Kokichi would have told him if he knew. And I mean the opening to Chapter 6 pretty explicitly says there exists an outside world where kids dream of joining a killing game.

I kind of feel the need to go on a quick rant about Kokichi. I'll start off by admitting this might be a bit biased because I don't think there are any fictional characters I hate nearly this much, but it's driving me insane how some people come to the conclusion that he's not some malicious little shit because of the revelations at the end of the game about his group and his attempt to end the killing game by fooling Monokuma during chapter 5.

Someone on Tumblr pointed out the localization messed up by changing the wording in his motive video, which apparently originally said he was morally opposed to murder, to which I can only think (if that is what it really said) that must have been another one of his fucking lies. Maybe I can believe he didn't ever want to murder anyone himself, but saying he's opposed to it entirely seems like a load of bullshit when you look at how many times he tried to incite everyone else to do something. The incident with the motive videos, outing Maki's true identity to the others, and the entirety of chapter 4 all fly right in the face of that, especially chapter 4. Even if he was trying to stop Miu from killing him there were other ways he could have gone about thwarting her plan without resulting in her death, the most obvious being calling her out directly or just not going into the virtual world at all, but the instant he got Monokuma and the motives involved there's no way he wouldn't realize that it would result in someone being murdered again.

If his last moments and the revelations at the end really were supposed paint him in a more positive light and redeem him to any extent like some people believe, then I feel like Kodaka flubbed writing that as fucking hard as he possibly could.

They've got the same bodies as their original selves, but they're minds and personalities are completely different. An idealist might think to look past that and say that they could re-enter their old lives without a problem, but realistically, both they and their family would be living with total strangers, assuming their parents accept to take them back in the first place. This still applies to them with the ending they got since they're still not back to how they were before.

I don't know what you mean. If you're talking about the pictures used to represent the people, then that's probably just because it would've been way too much of a strain to just design a bunch of heads that don't really have any purpose other than being background decoration

At the very end, when there's a hole in the fictional world and the camera pans out, you see the exterior as "team danganronpa" all over the place, I interpreted it as the outside of the "videogame" world.

Is there any picture of the killing files in suichi's room? I don't remember the transition from illustrations to photos

Sorian

Banned
At the very end, when there's a hole in the fictional world and the camera pans out, you see the exterior as "team danganronpa" all over the place, I interpreted it as the outside of the "videogame" world.

Is there any picture of the killing files in suichi's room? I don't remember the transition from illustrations to photos

There's no picture of the actual files. They talk about it the first time you enter his lab, you can also click the shelf on the left side of the room to get a repeat of most of that original dialogue.

NotLiquid

It really bugs me how everyone talks about the faking stuff even though the game spends like two hours thoroughly explaining why they wouldn't have had to and couldn't fake it. Tsumgi's room has a classroom set too- maybe the opening where none of them were ultimates was faked too?! Nobody at the beginning of the game outside of like Rantaro remembers the killing game or auditioning because they got hit by the black light. Kaede barely even remembers her own name. They shouldn't have even been there without the flashback light but the Monokubs messed up. I dunno why Rantaro remembers anything at all but maybe Black lights get less effective or he's just intuitive.

There is no "blackout light". That's a forged memory. If the characters completely forgot who they are, if they have different personalities all of a sudden, etc. why does Tsumugi claim that their first reaction to being chosen in that prologue event is excitement and joy over getting to take part in the killing game? That implies that their memories weren't tampered with in that prologue. Even if you believe that they willingly signed up for it, you have to take the prologue as evidence to the fact.

If it weren't for this game including it's epilogue I don't think I'd have entertained the idea that the characters didn't willingly sign up for it, because "hoping" for something else is what the game effectively disassociates by it's ending because it doesn't really matter who they were before their experiences in the killing game, but who they are after it, and the people they managed to influence. If the game wanted to make a conclusive point about itself, it should've just had them all die, since they were already willing to die to make their point, and abandon any concept of hope/despair. Instead it follows up on the idea of discovering truth among lies, which is infinitely more fun to speculate about when the context of V3 is such a clusterfuck of contradictions.

LiK

There is no "blackout light". That's a forged memory. If the characters completely forgot who they are, if they have different personalities all of a sudden, etc. why does Tsumugi claim that their first reaction to being chosen in that prologue event is excitement and joy over getting to take part in the killing game? That implies that their memories weren't tampered with in that prologue. Even if you believe that they willingly signed up for it, you have to take the prologue as evidence to the fact.

If it weren't for this game including it's epilogue I don't think I'd have entertained the idea that the characters didn't willingly sign up for it, because "hoping" for something else is what the game effectively disassociates by it's ending because it doesn't really matter who they were before their experiences in the killing game, but who they are after it, and the people they managed to influence. If the game wanted to make a conclusive point about itself, it should've just had them all die, since they were already willing to die to make their point, and abandon any concept of hope/despair. Instead it follows up on the idea of discovering truth among lies, which is infinitely more fun to speculate about when the context of V3 is such a clusterfuck of contradictions.

That's my takeaway from this entry. It was a wild ride and mainly a big WTF moment for DR vets.

CrazyDude

You are assuming that their excitement event and the prologue are the same event.

NotLiquid

You are assuming that their excitement event and the prologue are the same event.

It is literally the exact same event, but with a retcon showing Kaito/Shuichi/Kaede expressing happiness interspliced into the conversation before Monotaro resumes the dialogue. Where and how else could that scene have happened? This is after they gain the ultimate attire. Did they suddenly just lose it again just to re-enact it? Are you suggesting they redid the prologue three times?

GoldStarz

It is literally the exact same event, but with a retcon showing Kaito/Shuichi/Kaede expressing happiness interspliced into the conversation before Monotaro resumes the dialogue. Where and how else could that scene have happened? This is after they gain the ultimate attire. Did they suddenly just lose it again just to re-enact it? Are you suggesting they redid the prologue three times?

You have exactly zero evidence that the first prologue and their kidnapping isn't part of the show.

I kind of feel the need to go on a quick rant about Kokichi. I'll start off by admitting this might be a bit biased because I don't think there are any fictional characters I hate nearly this much, but it's driving me insane how some people come to the conclusion that he's not some malicious little shit because of the revelations at the end of the game about his group and his attempt to end the killing game by fooling Monokuma during chapter 5.

Someone on Tumblr pointed out the localization messed up by changing the wording in his motive video, which apparently originally said he was morally opposed to murder, to which I can only think (if that is what it really said) that must have been another one of his fucking lies. Maybe I can believe he didn't ever want to murder anyone himself, but saying he's opposed to it entirely seems like a load of bullshit when you look at how many times he tried to incite everyone else to do something. The incident with the motive videos, outing Maki's true identity to the others, and the entirety of chapter 4 all fly right in the face of that, especially chapter 4. Even if he was trying to stop Miu from killing him there were other ways he could have gone about thwarting her plan without resulting in her death, the most obvious being calling her out directly or just not going into the virtual world at all, but the instant he got Monokuma and the motives involved there's no way he wouldn't realize that it would result in someone being murdered again.

If his last moments and the revelations at the end really were supposed paint him in a more positive light and redeem him to any extent like some people believe, then I feel like Kodaka flubbed writing that as fucking hard as he possibly could.

Honestly, Ouma isn't malicious, he's just an idiot. He's trying to stop the killing games but his logic and morality is so warped that his conclusion is "I'll play the bad guy"

NotLiquid

You have exactly zero evidence that the first prologue and their kidnapping isn't part of the show.

The first prologue was clearly a clerical error that wasn't meant to happen. Monosuke and Monotaro are both confused by the state the students are in, and both the former and Monokid point out that Monophanie was supposed to implant their Ultimate Talents/Personalities before they got out of the lockers. The implication is clearly that the prologue we first experienced was intended to be the actual start, but that their screw up forced them to reboot and have them to go through the locker business again. There's more evidence pointing to that as opposed to it not being the case, because anything else wouldn't make sense, regardless of whether they were willing participants or not.

GoldStarz

The first prologue was clearly a clerical error that wasn't meant to happen. Monosuke and Monotaro are both confused by the state the students are in, and both the former and Monokid point out that Monophanie was supposed to implant their Ultimate Talents/Personalities before they got out of the lockers. The implication is clearly that the prologue we first experienced was intended to be the actual start, but that their screw up forced them to reboot and have them to go through the locker business again. There's more evidence pointing to that as opposed to it not being the case, because anything else wouldn't make sense, regardless of whether they were willing participants or not.

And your evidence that wasn't scripted is?

NotLiquid

And your evidence that wasn't scripted is?

There is no concrete evidence to it not being scripted, nor is there any evidence for it being scripted, because the game clearly wants that answer open to interpretation. So here's a better question - why would it be scripted? What would Team DR gain from scripting it other than raise some explicit plotholes later down the line? If this game's prologue and epilogue didn't exist then everything we find out in the final chapter could easily have been taken at face value and everyone would be none the wiser for it.

And keep in mind, my response was to the notion that the event of the students being happy about being accepted into the killing game happened separately from the actual prologue, which it couldn't have based on what the game shows us, because that'd require for them to have gone through another prologue. The game very clearly wants it's audience to think that after they got the attire, they were all game and ready to roll.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Random thought but V3 could also mean victory to 3 people, aka the 3 sole survivors: Maki, Shuichi, and Himiko lol.

Zakard

Am I the only one who would have loved it if the ending stopped much sooner that it did? I thought the concept of the Ultimate Despair in form of being a fictional character was brilliant. I think the ending went far too long and did go nowhere really...

BTA

I like this theory.

I mean, they did say it was Victory prerelease for whatever reason.

As things started to be revealed at the end, I was really hoping the cast end up being prisoners who signed up for the killing game to get out of their sentences, since the prerelease info had said it was a prison/they were criminals or something like that?

As things started to be revealed at the end, I was really hoping the cast end up being prisoners who signed up for the killing game to get out of their sentences, since the prerelease info had said it was a prison/they were criminals or something like that?

If they hadn't leaned 1000% on the meta angle by the end, your latter point would easily be my biggest grievance with the whole game. The school's called The Ultimate Academy For Gifted Juveniles also (and I can only relate to the actual plot by theorizing that perhaps the participants were, beyond having problems (Shuichi's obsession, Kaede's misanthropy), criminals also), but that fact isn't even acknowledged besides the banners hanging below the Monokubs in the Class Trials and one of the 'Kubs calling the Academy by name once. From then on, it's always referred to as the "Academy". Smells of a dropped plotline to me.

Edit: Perhaps V3 can also be interpreted as "Victorious Three", as explained above.

GoldStarz

Kodaka told a lot of lies in pre-release, it was part of the promotional gimmick. Also, I mean, he obviously can't reveal that it means 5
in the ones place because 50 is L, and I'm forever salty they didn't call it DanganRonpa LI3

That was a misinterpretation based on the school's name original name, 才囚学園 (Saishu Gakuen) which when translated means "Gifted Inmates Academy". This made people think that the cast were in a juvenile detention school rather than the truth that school was just intended to keep the students trapped in the Killing Game from the start.

I finished the game 2 days ago and I think I figured out a theory that could explain a lot of stuff in the game. Everyone participating on the killing game is a clone of a real person. That means that:

1. Everybody is eager to participate because they aren't risking their lives.
2. When Monokuma gives them the necronomicon he is sure that he could revive someone. If the players are clones, they just could make a new one instead of actually reviving someone that died.
3. The interviews are real, but they are done with the originals that know they are going to be cloned for the game.
4. The last line of Tsumugi about being a CopyCat refers to the fact she knows she is not the original. Tsumugi is the clone of one of the producers or writers and has all the memories of the original.
5. The machine that Shuichi uses to create the flashback light can be used to create the clones also. That's why the game doesn't let you play around with the different options and have you create a clone, they want to save the clone twist for the next game. Also, the things created by that machine spawn in the locker, just like players.
6. Because the players are clones and they aren't killing "real people" the killing game is allowed to shown across the world.
7. The Rantaro that records the message is a clone created for the 52th game. He is shown to be very calm because they are going to use a new clone for the 53th game.
8. The video they are shown at the last trial and the prologue are both real. The difference is that the prologue we see is for the clones that were created with the wrong set of memories and don't know they ultimate talent and the video is done showing the original finding out that they've been selected for the 53th game.
9. The clones are created with enhancements so they can perform their ultimate talents, no way it's all auto suggestion. They also can add things like the illness that Kaito had. No one would accept being part of killing game if the writers could just be assholes and give you some incurable disease, but if they gave that to your clone, you wouldn't be so mad.
10. K1BO is based on a real human, but they make a robot instead of using a clon.

So, what do you think?

I finished the game 2 days ago and I think I figured out a theory that could explain a lot of stuff in the game. Everyone participating on the killing game is a clone of a real person.

I think it holds water, I guess? But as with all other theories surrounding the ending, we don't have definite evidence to give credence to this specific possibility. Danganronpa has never dabbled with clones besides that weird Mukuro army (or sect? I don't know) in Killer Killer, but we can at least infer that V3's real world is advanced enough to deploy swarms of nanocameras - how much of a jump is from that to cloning is everyone's guess.

But if true, the survivors would have an even harsher reality to face depending on how much of what Tsumugi said was actually true. It is an interesting idea, but a theory nonetheless.

AwShucks

My spoiler review for this thread. I loved it...once it started getting going. Honestly first two chapters were good because of Kaede and Kirumi, but then they both died. So I was salty and hated the student council thing. That ended and it only went uphill from there. I find the ending both silly and hilarious. I would love it if they made another one and called it whatever the fourth logo said. The only thing about the ending I got ahead of time is I suspected the flashback lights were fake memories.

I think the characters are weaker overall compared to the first two games. There are some highlights for me but the ending really made me remember how good most of the other characters were.

And my one issue with gameplay would be that per usual DR, things come out of left field. Solving a case is near impossible before it starts. Though I did sometimes figure out the how but not the who.

Steel

Banned
2. When Monokuma gives them the necronomicon he is sure that he could revive someone. If the players are clones, they just could make a new one instead of actually reviving someone that died.

The necronomicon could just as easily been a flashback light that makes the user think that they are the deceased person that they're trying to summon, and that could have been used as a motive, since the person that was replaced is now dead and someone might want revenge against the replacer or something.

5. The machine that Shuichi uses to create the flashback light can be used to create the clones also. That's why the game doesn't let you play around with the different options and have you create a clone, they want to save the clone twist for the next game. Also, the things created by that machine spawn in the locker, just like players.
9. The clones are created with enhancements so they can perform their ultimate talents, no way it's all auto suggestion. They also can add things like the illness that Kaito had. No one would accept being part of killing game if the writers could just be assholes and give you some incurable disease, but if they gave that to your clone, you wouldn't be so mad.
10. K1BO is based on a real human, but they make a robot instead of using a clon.

These points however are pretty strong. 5 would also explain why, in the prologue, people donj't get to the gym all at once and it seems like the group has been having people file in a couple at a time from Rantaro's reaction to the 15th and 16th people coming in.

Not to mention that it would explain the bit at the very beginning of the prologue where Kaede's self narrative is talking about having no form, no substance.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I finished the game 2 days ago and I think I figured out a theory that could explain a lot of stuff in the game. Everyone participating on the killing game is a clone of a real person.
I'm not willing to replay all of Ch6 yet, but I could've sworn they basically suggested this in the game itself. At least that was my impression when I closed the game and before reading anything on the internet.

FluxWaveZ

It is just me or Keebo was right in all scrum debates? Maybe that foreshadowed that the audience was watching.

The audience was watching through Keebo, so they wouldn't be operating with too much more information other than the nature of the game.

88Titan88

I did not like the ending AT ALL. Can't shake off the bad "it was all a dream" disappointing feeling I hate.
The game was amazing, though! Chapter 5 was my favorite.

FStubbs

I finished the game 2 days ago and I think I figured out a theory that could explain a lot of stuff in the game. Everyone participating on the killing game is a clone of a real person. That means that:

3. The interviews are real, but they are done with the originals that know they are going to be cloned for the game.
4. The last line of Tsumugi about being a CopyCat refers to the fact she knows she is not the original. Tsumugi is the clone of one of the producers or writers and has all the memories of the original.
6. Because the players are clones and they aren't killing "real people" the killing game is allowed to shown across the world.
7. The Rantaro that records the message is a clone created for the 52th game. He is shown to be very calm because they are going to use a new clone for the 53th game.
8. The video they are shown at the last trial and the prologue are both real. The difference is that the prologue we see is for the clones that were created with the wrong set of memories and don't know they ultimate talent and the video is done showing the original finding out that they've been selected for the 53th game.

So, what do you think?

Those are such amazing points and would make so much sense. It also neatly ties in with "Kaede has a twin sister" that Team Danganronpa never was able to use.

ffvorax

So, what do you think?

I agree like 100% with this.

At first a was a bit disappointed with the last chapter twist, but then I realized that is much better than it looks at first sight...

Top Bottom