• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

BTA

So, if we were to get a Danganronpa fighting game in the future, what characters should be in it? I think we now have an extensive enough cast where such a thing is possible.

I think 6 characters per game would be a good place to start:

DR1
Makoto
Kyoko
Mondo
Sakura
Genodice Jack
Junko

DR2
Hajime (with Chiaki assists)
Nagito
Akane
Peko
Nekomaru
Gundham

DRV3
Maki
Kaito
Tenko
Gonta
Kirumi
Keebo

Narrowing down V3 is hard because over half the cast would fit very well in a fighting game lol.

I think it’d be weird to not have a protagonist for V3 repping. Plus there’s no way we wouldn’t get Tsumugi as a copy/clone character or something.

also I feel like they’d pick Togami (and a few other DR1 cast members) before they’d pick Mondo

FluxWaveZ

Either way, no brand new fighting game with the brand power of Danganronpa would have an initial roster of 18 playable characters.

Though this spin-off has been wished for since the release of DR1, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

GoldStarz

So, if we were to get a Danganronpa fighting game in the future, what characters should be in it? I think we now have an extensive enough cast where such a thing is possible.

DR1
Makoto
Kyoko
Mondo
Sakura
Genodice Jack
Junko

DR2
Nagito
Akane
Peko
Nekomaru
Gundham

DRV3
Maki
Kaito
Tenko
Gonta
Kirumi
Keebo

Narrowing down V3 is hard because over half the cast would fit very well in a fighting game lol.

Komaeda and Naegi would just be clones of each other, Ibuki or Saionji would make way more interesting picks for that slot.

Also, why did you pretty much go for the straightforward fighter types for most of them? You can have the cast fight in weird or unorthodox ways, have some fun with it, y'know.

Also DR3 and DRAE should have some Reps, DR3's plot might be shitty, but they still have some pretty interesting characters there.

selo

I'm also in the "I loved the twist/ending" bit camp. I loved DR1, liked DR2, didn't mind UDG and loved this too. I'd put it on par with DR1, liked them both equally. Like others have said, I hope we can get new danganronpa games every 3-4 years, they don't have to be connected to the previous games at all, just keep staple things. I assume its going to be harder and harder to shock people though

FluxWaveZ

Komaeda and Naegi would just be clones of each other, Ibuki or Saionji would make way more interesting picks for that slot.

I think Nagito and Makoto would be very different characters. They're very different characters already and their talents manifest themselves in very different ways.

Like, in terms of gameplay, Makoto Naegi = Phoenix Wright (UMvC3), while Nagito Komaeda = Faust (GG) + Adachi (P4AU).

This is the list I had made a while back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147148442&postcount=5515

I think it’d be weird to not have a protagonist for V3 repping. Plus there’s no way we wouldn’t get Tsumugi as a copy/clone character or something.

also I feel like they’d pick Togami (and a few other DR1 cast members) before they’d pick Mondo

If Byakuya would be a character, I can totally see him being a puppeteer controlling Toko/Genocide Jack lol.

I actually don't like the idea of Kaede or Shuichi being fighters for some reason. Maaaaaaybe Kaede, but Shuichi is honestly a bit pathetic, even moreso than Makoto. At least Makoto would make a fun joke character with his bad luck.

Also, why did you pretty much go for the straightforward fighter types for most of them? You can have the cast fight in weird or unorthodox ways, have some fun with it, y'know.

Well, it was hard narrowing things down! For V3 alone, I was also considering Himiko, Kiyo, Ryoma, and Tsumugi.

But seriously, you can't just leave out Nagito from something like this.

GoldStarz

We'd probably get a Danganronpa RPG before a fighting game.
Fighting game has been brought up more than an RPG and they already have a mini RPG going on in V3's post-game anyway.

I'm also in the "I loved the twist/ending" bit camp. I loved DR1, liked DR2, didn't mind UDG and loved this too. I'd put it on par with DR1, liked them both equally. Like others have said, I hope we can get new danganronpa games every 3-4 years, they don't have to be connected to the previous games at all, just keep staple things. I assume its going to be harder and harder to shock people though

So far it's been every two years since 2010, with V3 only technically not making it (due to DR3's development)

I think Nagito and Makoto would be very different characters. They're very different characters already and their talents manifest themselves in very different ways.

Like, in terms of gameplay, Makoto Naegi = Phoenix Wright (UMvC3), while Nagito Komaeda = Faust (GG) + Adachi (P4AU).
Personality-wise yeah, but the only major difference between their abilities is how it present itself: Komaeda's is immediate and predictable (Good > Bad > Good > Bad; effects immediately visible) while Naegi's isn't predictable or immediate.

CrazyDude

If Byakuya would be a character, I can totally see him being a puppeteer controlling Toko/Genocide Jack lol.

I actually don't like the idea of Kaede or Shuichi being fighters for some reason. Maaaaaaybe Kaede, but Shuichi is honestly a bit pathetic, even moreso than Makoto. At least Makoto would make a fun joke character with his bad luck.

Well, it was hard narrowing things down! For V3 alone, I was also considering Himiko, Kiyo, Ryoma, and Tsumugi.

But seriously, you can't just leave out Nagito from something like this.

Shuichi is a lover, not a fighter.

FluxWaveZ

Personality-wise yeah, but the only major difference between their abilities is how it present itself: Komaeda's is immediate and predictable (Good > Bad > Good > Bad; effects immediately visible) while Naegi's isn't predictable or immediate.

And that's significant. They'd have Makoto's gameplay revolve more around the fact that he was the first protagonist of the DR series, so the base mechanics of the mainline games would apply to him. Basically like Phoenix Wright in Marvel.

In turn, Nagito's would have the most to do with "luck," with items used purely through luck just like Faust. He'd also revolve around messing with the opponent, which is in line with his deceptive and cunning personality. So part of that would be item-based setplay, and another part of that would be buffs/debuffs (perhaps randomized, like Elizabeth's DP in P4A, but if its effects were up to chance).

GoldStarz

Shuichi is a loser, not a fighter.

I fixed it. Kaede would totally kick someone's ass if she had to though, you could make her the "protagonist fighter" let Spike-Chun put their money with their mouth is when they say they consider her a "true protagonist" alongside Saihara.

And that's significant. They'd have Makoto's gameplay revolve more around the fact that he was the first protagonist of the DR series, so the base mechanics of the mainline games would apply to him. Basically like Phoenix Wright in Marvel.
Do we really have to turn Naegi into the protagonist again? That's one of the reason DR3 was so bad, because they tried to make Naegi into The Protagonist of the World while also not wanting to admit that he might be flawed in any way.

Gradon

I would adore a fighter but they're generally big budget games, would Spike be able to pull something like that off? It would definitely have to be a small cast at fist.

Also after finishing DRV3 I've obviously been looking at fan videos and I think I've found the best one. It's full of spoilers covering all chapters of the game, it's really beautiful and sad:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfJcvXsK6c

Edit: oh I don't know how to embed videos on mobile.

FluxWaveZ

Do we really have to turn Naegi into the protagonist again? That's one of the reason DR3 was so bad, because they tried to make Naegi into The Protagonist of the World while also not wanting to admit that he might be flawed in any way.

Gameplay-wise, I think it fits him entirely. I love the gameplay loop of Wright in UMvC3. So unique and fitting for his character. Including Makoto makes it a perfect 1:1, but with Danganronpa specific elements, mainly through the mini-games.

As I said in the link, though, he'd have a bit of Zappa from GG in him, with a more significant use of Truth Bullets and "phases." He wouldn't have the typical "protagonist" style gameplay like a Yu Narukami, Ragna, Sol or what have you. That'd be someone else.

For story, I have no idea and it wouldn't really matter to me. They could come up with whatever nonsense they'd want to justify the existence of a fighting game in that universe.

Found this on reddit, maybe something else pointing towards their audition tapes being faked.

bme84sa.jpg

NotLiquid

Found this on reddit, maybe something else pointing towards their audition tapes being faked.

bme84sa.jpg

ayyyyyyy

This also just made me realize that if Tsumugi lied about her cospox or if there was another "loophole", she could've easily been the one performing in those tapes.

LiK

Damn, now that I understand the loop of the Talent and Monokuma Test and have access to U cards, it's been fairly addictive. Played way too late last night. Finally beat the 50 floor last boss after a couple of retries.

bme84sa.jpg

Excellent.

bme84sa.jpg

So if you guys think this is fake, do you think their reactions to being in the killing game was fake as well? Just before they had their talents and memories injected into them, Kaito and the others were saying "Sweet, we made the cut?"

bme84sa.jpg
It's a wood floor. They probably had them come in for auditions anyway, and even if it were faked they could have done it in any other room of the school. Seems like a complete nonsense theory.

They probably weren't faked, and they definitely weren't there against their will (except maybe Keebo?). Makoto tells us at the beginning of Chapter 6 that he can't wait to audition for the killing game once he's old enough- they don't need to kidnap people or anything lol. So at that point why fake audition tapes instead of using the actual audition tapes?

Why do people even want the tapes to be faked? We know our main characters were originally huuuuge fans of this sicko killing game, of course they were giant assholes.

NotLiquid

So if you guys think this is fake, do you think their reactions to being in the killing game was fake as well? Just before they had their talents and memories injected into them, Kaito and the others were saying "Sweet, we made the cut?"

I feel like it's very deliberate how their reactions to being chosen are never actually shown through footage or anything. After they got their new memories and abilities, they don't actually remember the initial prologue so there's no real point to tell them how happy they were to have been chosen. It's only something the audience remembers, making it an easy lie for her to make. The audience did see the prologue itself because the game was supposed to start at that point, but Monophanie forgot to throw in their new identities, implying that the entire prologue was a clerical error on Team Danganronpa's part that accidentally aired to the audience.

Why do people even want the tapes to be faked? We know our main characters were originally huuuuge fans of this sicko killing game, of course they were giant assholes.

We don't know if that's the case though. The game raises an explicit possibility that it could've all been Tsumugi's lie. If they were fans, they should've easily sussed out what was going on in the prologue, but only Rantaro and Kaede had a suspicion what it was all about.

I feel like it's very deliberate how their reactions to being chosen are never actually shown through footage or anything. After they got their new memories and abilities, they don't actually remember the initial prologue so there's no real point to tell them how happy they were to have been chosen. It's only something the audience remembers, making it an easy lie for her to make. The audience did see the prologue itself because the game was supposed to start at that point, but Monophanie forgot to throw in their new identities, implying that the entire prologue was a clerical error on Team Danganronpa's part that accidentally aired to the audience.

We don't know if that's the case though. The game raises an explicit possibility that it could've all been Tsumugi's lie. If they were fans, they should've easily sussed out what was going on in the prologue, but only Rantaro and Kaede had a suspicion what it was all about.
You mean like that the whole "Danganronpa is a fictional series with a huge fan base" part is a lie? The thing the whole game is based on? Because otherwise it makes 0 sense to commit a crime and kidnap participants for a massively televised show where everyone will see their kidnapped loved ones immediately when you can just recruit any of the millions of high school aged fans you have. Just in case you're still not convinced for some reason they show you video evidence.

NotLiquid

You mean like that the whole "Danganronpa is a fictional series with a huge fan base" part is a lie? The thing the whole game is based on? Because otherwise it makes 0 sense to commit a crime and kidnap participants for a massively televised show where everyone will see their kidnapped loved ones immediately when you can just recruit any of the millions of high school aged fans you have. Just in case you're still not convinced for some reason they show you video evidence.

If the TV show is as big of a phenomenon as Tsumugi implies it is then everyone in the prologue should have immediately sussed out that what they were embroiled in was the killing game. That's an evident contradiction, and yet only Rantaro and Kaede seem to have a clue. The prologue itself features a lot of inconsistencies in regards to their actual personalities that Tsumugi claims they have, as the Ultimate version of every character is just really exaggerated ones of the initial behavior the audience gets to see in the very opening.

That and there's the whole line of thought Shuichi entertains in the epilogue how, despite the possibility that they may have been fans, that doesn't necessarily mean they would've signed up for it willingly, which is a sort of metatextual take on the idea that, even if you as a real person may enjoy these games, it doesn't mean you would want to be a part of a real life one. Maybe Danganronpa doesn't get many actual real life "applicants" - and even if they signed up willingly, if these characters have loved ones as you say, I highly doubt they'd be okay with seeing them throw away their lives for some dumb entertainment. They could easily fake tapes to show those people that it's what they wanted, but I highly doubt that excuses anything other than Team DR wanting to convince people that they have the moral high ground, even if that's not the real story.

At the end of the day you can trust that to some extent, V3 is a televised reality show. But how far reaching and how they go about doing it is up for debate, and that's where V3 continues Danganronpa's lingering sense of ambiguity of the state of the world outside the "killing game".

If the TV show is as big of a phenomenon as Tsumugi implies it is then everyone in the prologue should have immediately sussed out that what they were embroiled in was the killing game. That's an evident contradiction, and yet only Rantaro and Kaede seem to have a clue. The prologue itself features a lot of inconsistencies in regards to their actual personalities that Tsumugi claims they have, as the Ultimate version of every character is just really exaggerated ones of the initial behavior the audience gets to see in the very opening.

That and there's the whole line of thought Shuichi entertains in the epilogue how, despite the possibility that they may have been fans, that doesn't necessarily mean they would've signed up for it willingly, which is a sort of metatextual take on the idea that, even if you as a real person may enjoy these games, it doesn't mean you would want to be a part of a real life one. Maybe Danganronpa doesn't get many actual real life "applicants" - and even if they signed up willingly, if these characters have loved ones as you say, I highly doubt they'd be okay to risk their lives for some dumb entertainment. They could easily fake tapes to show those people that it's what they wanted, but I highly doubt that excuses anything other than Team DR wanting to convince people that they have the moral high ground, even if that's not the real story.
You think a series with 53 entries and a huge budget isn't a big deal, even though the intro to Chapter 6 tells us that Danganronpa is the only thing that gets them through their day to day lives? And we see Makoto saying he wants to join? an a gain they'd get shut down immediately if they kidnapped and murdered people.

Y'all are in denial.

NotLiquid

You think a series with 53 entries and a huge budget isn't a big deal, even though the intro to Chapter 6 tells us that Danganronpa is the only thing that gets them through their day to day lives? And we see Makoto saying he wants to join? an a gain they'd get shut down immediately if they kidnapped and murdered people.

Y'all are in denial.

Which is why the tapes exist so they don't have to take any accountability in it all.

This is a series where we're meant to believe a single high school girl managed to brainwash an entire high school and bring the world to total ruin through terrorist ideology and super powered future technology of mass destruction that hadn't even been developed yet. The idea that they could've kept up a TV show for 53 series through lies, deception and media gullibility is like, the least hardest thing to believe in this series. I'm not saying it's the absolute truth, but it is a theory that has enough of a foothold, and something the game absolutely wanted people to ponder about since it obfuscates a lot of clear answers about the circumstances with a lot of lies. That's what the game is about, how lies can change the world and become a truth of their own.

Also, Makoto is like a seven years old. He doesn't know any better, he's got his head in the clouds.

PK Gaming

There is literally nothing, nothing that prevents them from completely differentiating Makoto and Nagito from each other. Saying that they would just be clones of each shows a profound lack of understanding of how fighting game movesets work. Even if we assume the fact that Makoto's Ultimate Talent is real (hint: it's not) making them play differently from each other would be trivial.

Also DR3 and DRAE should have some Reps, DR3's plot might be shitty, but they still have some pretty interesting characters there.

Agreed. How could they pass up adding shittier versions of established characters, a racist caricature, the most generic teacher ever and a host of deviantart tier characters?

I would at least want Seiko from 3. Really liked her design
wish she lived.

I would also want Komaru.

Can’t say for V3 as I still haven’t played it but from 1+2.

1)Makoto
Kirigiri
Byakuya(These three would get in no matter what I think.)
Leon
Sakura
Ishimaru
Celestia
Genocide Jack

2)Hajime
Saionji
Soda
Gundam
Ibuki
Akane
Nekomaru

CrazyDude

Which is why the tapes exist so they don't have to take any accountability in it all.

This is a series where we're meant to believe a single high school girl managed to brainwash an entire high school and bring the world to total ruin through terrorist ideology and super powered future technology of mass destruction that hadn't even been developed yet. The idea that they could've kept up a TV show for 53 series through lies, deception and media gullibility is like, the least hardest thing to believe in this series. I'm not saying it's the absolute truth, but it is a theory that has enough of a foothold, and something the game absolutely wanted people to ponder about since it obfuscates a lot of clear answers about the circumstances with a lot of lies. That's what the game is about, how lies can change the world and become a truth of their own.

Also, Makoto is like a seven years old. He doesn't know any better, he's got his head in the clouds.

Makato isn't seven, he is obviously in middle school or high school, he's wearing a school uniform. Also by the same token, it's just as believable that they would enthusiastic about joining the show. You wouldn't need to show a tape anymore after 53 season to convince anybody. Even if they showed the tapes, people saw them getting kidnapped, it would have raised alarms with or without the tapes being shown. The government wouldn't allow a killing game unless their were insane public enthusiasm for them, and if that's the case, you shouldn't have trouble finding volunteers like Makato.

NotLiquid

Makato isn't seven, he is obviously in middle school or high school, he's wearing a school uniform. Also by the same token, it's just as believable that they would enthusiastic about joining the show. You wouldn't need to show a tape anymore after 53 season to convince anybody. Even if they showed the tapes, people saw them getting kidnapped, it would have raised alarms with or without the tapes being shown. The government wouldn't allow a killing game unless their were insane public enthusiasm for them, and if that's the case, you shouldn't have trouble finding volunteers like Makato.

So why didn't it raise any alarms then? Tsumugi claims "the world outside is totally peaceful". Why isn't something as severe as kidnapping raising eyebrows? That's the opposite of peaceful. I felt that was just part of the game's social commentary. There's plenty of instances in the real world where people just don't care when they see sketchy stuff going down on the streets, or turn a blind eye to real problems.

We don't know what the "outside world" of V3 is. We don't know how their government works. Just because there's public enthusiasm doesn't mean they'd suddenly allow it. Has TV shows like Danganronpa desensitized people? Possibly, but in that world there's people like Kaede who was clearly distraught at how mankind can be really shitty, which makes her signing up for the killing game all the more nonsensical. I've already said this once but no matter what, even if things look like they're operating well, a company as big as Team DR, a corporation easily conceivable to be built on lies, would've needed contingency, because it's clear that the smoke and mirrors they set up in this game completely fell apart.

PK Gaming

DR1
Makoto
Kyoko
Mondo
Sakura
Genodice Jack
Junko

DR2
Nagito
Akane
Peko
Nekomaru
Gundham

DRV3
Maki
Kaito
Tenko
Gonta
Kirumi
Keebo

Chiaki being Hajime's assist is a no
Shuichi, Kaede, Kokichi and Tsumigi not being playable characters is a BIG no

Fighting ability shouldn't be the sole reason for a character's inclusion. Giving a non-fighting character a moveset is trivial (look at Smash). It should come down to how interesting and unique they would be in practice.

I would at least want Seiko from 3. Really liked her design
wish she lived.

I would also want Komaru.

Can’t say for V3 as I still haven’t played it but from 1+2.

1)Makoto
Kirigiri
Byakuya(These three would get in no matter what I think.)
Leon
Sakura
Ishimaru
Celestia
Genocide Jack

(nods)

2)Hajime
Saionji
Soda
Gundam
Ibuki
Akane
Nekomaru

uz0pPxA.png

LiK

The RPG has so many hilarious interactions. But I'm skipping through most of them since I need to get through the grind. Might actually enjoy it in the future once I get more U cards to level up. Gonna be seeing the same scenes for some characters anyway when I level up the U cards.

DR1
Makoto
Kyoko
Mondo
Sakura
Genodice Jack
Junko

DR2
Nagito
Akane
Peko
Nekomaru
Gundham

DRV3
Maki
Kaito
Tenko
Gonta
Kirumi
Keebo

If we get a fighter I'd rather they have a new roster, and call it Danganronpa 8 or something.

CrazyDude

So why didn't it raise any alarms then? Tsumugi claims "the world outside is totally peaceful". Why isn't something as severe as kidnapping raising eyebrows? That's the opposite of peaceful. I felt that was just part of the game's social commentary. There's plenty of instances in the real world where people just don't care when they see sketchy stuff going down on the streets, or turn a blind eye to real problems.

We don't know what the "outside world" of V3 is. We don't know how their government works. Just because there's public enthusiasm doesn't mean they'd suddenly allow it. Has TV shows like Danganronpa desensitized people? Possibly, but in that world there's people like Kaede who was clearly distraught at how mankind can be really shitty, which makes her signing up for the killing game all the more nonsensical. I've already said this once but no matter what, even if things look like they're operating well, a company as big as Team DR, a corporation easily conceivable to be built on lies, would've needed contingency, because it's clear that the smoke and mirrors they set up in this game completely fell apart.
So then the government is suddenly alright with the killing game as long as they see a tape of people saying they want to be part of the show? Kaede saying that people are shitty doesn't say whether she would or would not join the killing games. She doesn;t say that people are shitty because of the killing games. Their are plenty of killers who have said that as their reason for killing in the first place.

Chiaki being Hajime's assist is a no
Shuichi, Kaede, Kokichi and Tsumigi not being playable characters is a BIG no

Fighting ability shouldn't be the sole reason for a character's inclusion. Giving a non-fighting character a moveset is trivial (look at Smash). It should come down to how interesting and unique they would be in practice.

(nods)

uz0pPxA.png

My DR2 choices were mostly because I like them or think there would be a fun move set. I know Hiyoko probably wouldn’t be a popular choice but I love dance battlers.

NotLiquid

So then the government is suddenly alright with the killing game as long as they see a tape of people saying they want to be part of the show? Kaede saying that people are shitty doesn't say whether she would or would not join the killing games. She doesn;t say that people are shitty because of the killing games. Their are plenty of killers who have said that as their reason for killing in the first place.

I'm not sure what "government" would be okay with a corporation dealing with assisted murder unless there were a hefty amount of smoke and mirrors involved but then as said we don't know anything of V3's outside world. As time goes on then yes, I'm sure Team DR would have much more of a foothold in society to stand on, but that doesn't mean they aren't prone to immoral practices or that they haven't been selling lies to it's audience, especially when considering it's what Tsumugi does. And the point about Kaede's attitude isn't to say she wouldn't be a killer with that mentality; it's that her innately displaying a distaste for the nature of people, particularly in response to her being kidnapped, and especially in a world Tsumugi claims is "peaceful", is an oxymoron. If we assume that the killing games are such a fixture on mankind, especially when she's one of the few who seems to know what they're involved in, there's even a possibility that her cynicism may be because people are so perversely obsessed with them to begin with. She might know of them but maybe she's someone who hates the show.

LiK

Remember that Tsumugi said the entire world is at peace and the killing game is the most popular show. Who knows if that's even true.

Question that may have been discussed already : what do you guys think about Shirogane's "cosplay pox" when she impersonates Kaede in Ch.1 vs how she says in Ch. 6 they're all fictionnal characters ?

Did she lie and got this reaction from something else ? (or more simply make up ?)

Is it a plot hole ?

Did she consider them and herself at that moment (Ch1) real characters and thus got the reaction ?

Is it all the three answers at the same time ?

Question that may have been discussed already : what do you guys think about Shirogane's "cosplay pox" when she impersonates Kaede in Ch.1 vs how she says in Ch. 6 they're all fictionnal characters ?

Did she lie and got this reaction from something else ? (or more simply make up ?)

Is it a plot hole ?

Did she consider them and herself at that moment (Ch1) real characters and thus got the reaction ?

The way I saw it, since the V3 cast are based on the interviews from real people she actually cant cosplay them. She never shifts to a V3 character at the end.

Steel

Banned

Is it a plot hole ?

The way I saw it, since the V3 cast are based on the interviews from real people she actually cant cosplay them. She never shifts to a V3 character at the end.

She never shifts to V3 character but she mentions that she limits herself to characters from the first two games because that's all the participants know about, implying she could cosplay as anyone from the previous 52 games.

Additionally, she mentions that she herself is a fictional character.

GoldStarz

Shirogane probably just can't cosplay as characters that are portrayed by real people, there's no need to blow it up into a huge debate.

Is it a plot hole ?
If you come across something that doesn't sound like it adds up for this game, the answer is probably: yes.

Agreed. How could they pass up adding shittier versions of established characters, a racist caricature, the most generic teacher ever and a host of deviantart tier characters?

I obviously wasn't talking about the fucking "Just Here to Die" characters and also Kodaka is reusing an idea? Boy that sure is new for this series, it's not like we have three games that have the same story beats every single game regardless of how much they make sense. I'm not trying to argue that the cast is super fleshed out or anything since obviously they're not, but there are still some more interesting characters here than in some of the games.

Is it a plot hole ?

She's a fictional character that can only cosplay fictional characters, ergo Danganronpa 1 & 2 characters, which were characters from fictional forms of entertainment. Danganronpa 53 had real characters, as it transcended beyond video games and anime to become a reality TV show.

sungahymn

Neo Member
I just realized that the ending finally gives Monokuma some context to his bloodlust. He's not just a psychopath, he's a mascot with very good business sense.

Just finished it, I'm kinda "meh" about the ending.
At first I was interested, because it was "you're fictional characters" supposedly in a videogame, but from what they say after, they're real person in a reality show based on works of fiction (first 2 danganronpa games) playing fictional characters.
Dunno.
Also, if this interpretation is correct, I don't get 2 things:
- The whole "there's no outside world for you, your memory were erased etc.". If they're real persons, they have real parents and a life outside the reality, the life they had before entering. So why they shouldn't be able?
Or the meaning was "you're real characters blablabla" BUT again, in a fictional world (the videogame itself, so they don't exist outside that).
- If it's the "reality show" thing, why the "outside world" looks like "outside the videogame"?

GoldStarz

At first I was interested, because it was "you're fictional characters" supposedly in a videogame, but from what they say after, they're real person in a reality show based on works of fiction (first 2 danganronpa games) playing fictional characters.
Dunno.
- The whole "there's no outside world for you, your memory were erased etc.". If they're real persons, they have real parents and a life outside the reality, the life they had before entering. So why they shouldn't be able?
Or the meaning was "you're real characters blablabla" BUT again, in a fictional world (the videogame itself, so they don't exist outside that).
They've got the same bodies as their original selves, but they're minds and personalities are completely different. An idealist might think to look past that and say that they could re-enter their old lives without a problem, but realistically, both they and their family would be living with total strangers, assuming their parents accept to take them back in the first place. This still applies to them with the ending they got since they're still not back to how they were before.

- If it's the "reality show" thing, why the "outside world" looks like "outside the videogame"?
I don't know what you mean. If you're talking about the pictures used to represent the people, then that's probably just because it would've been way too much of a strain to just design a bunch of heads that don't really have any purpose other than being background decoration

PK Gaming

I obviously wasn't talking about the fucking "Just Here to Die" characters and also Kodaka is reusing an idea? Boy that sure is new for this series, it's not like we have three games that have the same story beats every single game regardless of how much they make sense. I'm not trying to argue that the cast is super fleshed out or anything since obviously they're not, but there are still some more interesting characters here than in some of the games.

I think I might have been too harsh, so genuinely sorry about that. That said, I 100% stand by what I said. Every character in DR3 is worthless, every character is creatively bankrupt, they all have bad designs and laughably weak motivations.

Well, everyone save Juzo.

Dunno.

It's the first one is correct. They have parents but they're still people they never met before, and everyone and everything they "knew" before doesn't actually exist. So they don't really have any world to go back to.

Just remembered the files in Shuichi's room started with illustrations (DR1 + 2, the fictional killing games) and generally transitioned to photos (the reality show) x_x

She's a fictional character that can only cosplay fictional characters, ergo Danganronpa 1 & 2 characters, which were characters from fictional forms of entertainment. Danganronpa 53 had real characters, as it transcended beyond video games and anime to become a reality TV show.
Tsumugi isn't a fictional character at all, but they go to great lengths to stress that people like Kaede are essentially fictional characters so it should have been fine. It's either a plot hole or Tsumugi was lying about the pox. Or like they can give you some bullshit about how the character doesn't count even if they're fictional as long as they have a kind of real world form (so like Robin Hood wouldn't work I guess).

PK Gaming

I doubt Tsumigi (manager) actually has cospox. Cospox was a stupid gimmick invented for Tsumigi (cosplayer)

The intent was to draw suspicion away from her. Something like "woahhh she's the ultimate cosplayer but her powers are useless!" It's too bad Tsumigi doesn't even try at all to hide her suspicion so it ends up being a waste.

Top Bottom