• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny TV commercial

kyser73

I can't tell you how much I hate the current trend of Sony's adverting where they use those weak ass songs about community to market their stuff.

I started watching the Destiny trailer and heard those first guitar riffs and stopped.

That would be because this is an ad about the PS4 sharing function.

That big thing they spend 1/3 of the ad talking about.

Maybe if you'd watched the ad you'd know.

Song does not fit with the game imo :/

Dissonance. The whole point is using a catchy song that's easy to remember/sing/hum, and use footage that makes you feel like what's visually expressed doesn't match the sound presentation.

So then you'll remember "that PS4 ad with the cutesy song, with sci-fi shooters." And if you get suckered into humming or remembering that song, that's another 'It's that PS4 song."

From what I understand this aired during The Walking Dead. That's very smart

An Infamous gameplay commercial also aired on FOX during Bob's Burgers. They finally understand that they need to advertise their games.

I see infamous commercials 4-6 times a day. I frequent ESPN and ID channels

What are you talking about. I have seen infamous commercials almost every commercial break. So far on CN and Spike

Well, good. I'm glad they're out there then. The game deserves a big push. I'm usually on Cartoon Network (Adult Swim) and Comedy Central which is why I was a bit surprised to have not seen any but it must just be an anomaly. It's good to hear Sony is doing their due diligence at least somewhat.

1) Seems way to early to be pushing this game. Maybe if they had stuck to the original beta launch date of early 2014 (i.e. now) this spot would make more sense.

2) The juxtaposition of "shiny happy music" with robots! war! 'splosions! pew!pew!pew! is getting really old now. I bet Destiny will have some great music in its score. Why not preview some of that in the spot?

3) Still excited to play the game later this year, but hopefully Bungie makes a strong showing at E3 with a lot more information and playable builds considering how close it'll be to the beta (if the beta is in July or August).

Oh this is perfect.

You're dead wrong. This is the game that's going to move systems for them.

No, he's right. Destiny is 6 months away. That is after E3 and everything from them which this ad will be long forgotten by then. It's nice they are advertising it but it will be lost and pointless in the long run.

Mory Dunz

I've seen a lot of ads when the music doesn't "match" the content shown, and they can be pretty good if done right.

This ad was definitely not one of those...

2) The juxtaposition of "shiny happy music" with robots! war! 'splosions! pew!pew!pew! is getting really old now. I bet Destiny will have some great music in its score. Why not preview some of that in the spot?

Exactly.

Veive257

Neo Member
It was good enough to get the attention of my non-gamer wife who said it looked good.

Here I was happy enough to get her watching Cosmos.

Theecliff

Banned
1) Seems way to early to be pushing this game. Maybe if they had stuck to the original beta launch date of early 2014 (i.e. now) this spot would make more sense.

3) Still excited to play the game later this year, but hopefully Bungie makes a strong showing at E3 with a lot more information and playable builds considering how close it'll be to the beta (if the beta is in July or August).
I've seen a lot of ads when the music doesn't "match" the content shown, and they can be pretty good if done right.

This ad was definitely not one of those...

Exactly.
+1 to this, on both counts.
I think that might be because it's an ad to show off the sharing feature on PS4 by Sony, not a proper ad for the game by Activision - hence why it's a bit goofy and light on content. I doubt this is the start of the real marketing push for the game, it's just been included in these sets of ads to remind people that it's coming.

I doubt this is the start of the real marketing push for the game, it's just been included in these sets of ads to remind people that it's coming.

I don't think there's ever been a AAA release-- at least not within the last 5 years or so-- that I wasn't beaten over the head with to remind me of the imminence of its release or its promised gloriousness. TV spots, ads in videos, banners, ads at the bus stop, billboards, "skins" for busses, etc.. Point is I don't think people needed reminding that there's a game called Destiny slated to come out at some point in the future. When it's actually ready for people to play, I doubt we'll be able to escape from the marketing even if we wanted to.

If they're doing it to try and snatch some of that "robots! future stuff!" mindshare away from Titanfall's release... I don't know if this is the right way to do it. Personally, I'd rather they highlight the Share fucntion with games that are already released or locked into the release pipeline.

As much hype as Titanfall gets, Destiny is probably the biggest upcoming game from any studio that has been announced. Not surprised to see advertising for it underway.

edit: like others have said though, to me it looks more like a PS4 ad than a Destiny ad.

Saw the Destiny one while watching Hulu last night. At the end it when it said "Product not yet rated" I said to myself "No shit!". It got my hype meter up a notch though even if most of it was old footage.

Slixshot

Banned
Seems too early for this one when they can shine more light on Infamous tho.

*adjusts beanie*

I'm just sayin'

Beanie bros unite!
fist-bump-adventure.gif

Llamadeus

Banned
I went to Best Buy last week and saw a Destiny ad looping endlessly on TVs at the Playstation gaming section and near the entrance of the store.

I thought it was a little weird for it to be advertised so early, but FPS are what sell the most right now aren't they? Seems this is the one Sony is betting on for the PS4.

Wizman23

Banned
Microsoft must have really pissed off Bungie considering the amount of middle fingers they're receiving.

its a marketing deal and has nothing to do with MS. MS already has Destiny sales on lockdown because of Bungie's ties to Halo. I'll be shocked if the Playstation consoles have better Destiny sales then the Xbox consoles.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Titanfall is coming out this week so it seems reasonable they would want to remind people they got big shooters coming too.

KoopaTheCasual

I can't help but laugh when people thought that Titanfall would have a bigger marketing campaign than Destiny. Activision themselves said they want this to be the biggest new IP of all time, and the leaked contract between them and Bungie was insane. Prepare to be sick about hearing the word "Destiny" before the game even launches. It's gonna reach that level of media saturation before launch.
This is still coming out on Xbox ONE right? RIGHT?!?

<panic mode initiated>
I know you're joking, but while this will move more PS4s, it will also move a lot of XB1s. I fully expect this to be "the" game to set the tone for the generation, even if it's cross-gen.

weevles

Seems like this is more of a PS4 "look at what you have to look forward to" ad.

Must be something to do with Sony and Activision trying to plug each other's relationship more than anything else.

Baleoce

We usually berate Sony for not marketing games well enough. They need to get a jump on this game and market it first, and this is what they're doing. They know this is going to shift consoles if they get the marketing right. Get it in peoples heads that this is the platform to get it on. I don't see anything wrong with it personally.

El_Chino

Sony really pushing Destiny to make it seem it's PS4 only (at least I think that's how the average Joe would perceive it)

quest

Not Banned from OT
Very smart move to get the game out there now. The holiday season is always tough competition especially for a new IP. Great idea to get the game of the radar of the general public before E3. This is how to handle a new IP launching in the fall. Sony could really learn a lesson from this for their own first party studios new IPs.

its a marketing deal and has nothing to do with MS. MS already has Destiny sales on lockdown because of Bungie's ties to Halo. I'll be shocked if the Playstation consoles have better Destiny sales then the Xbox consoles.

Considering the install base difference + the specific Sony push, I'd be surprised if it doesn't sell higher on PS4.

Top Bottom