• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New direct feed Final Fantasy XV, Type-0 HD screenshots

Squishy3

A parry system, huh? I wonder if people will claim it doesn't work like people claimed about the Metal Gear Rising parry.

wmlk

7hLpSqE.jpg

5aNhVhc.jpg

Just to show off how impressive Type-0 HD is as a remaster.

A parry system, huh? I wonder if people will claim it doesn't work like people claimed about the Metal Gear Rising parry.
People complained about parries in MGR?

I know it's not your typical parry, but damn...

If FFXV's parry work like that then I'm already hyped to try it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They've made a huge improvement since that earlier blurry ass screenshot with scaling artifacts. Image looks a lot more crisp.

Final-Fantasy-XV_2014_09-17-14_002.jpg

Final-Fantasy-XV_2015_01-25-15_005.jpg

Yeah true. There's still plenty of time until the final release so I think they can pull it off on PS4. FFXIV is 1080p on PS4.

wmlk

Yeah true. There's still plenty of time until the final release so I think they can pull it off on PS4. FFXIV is 1080p on PS4.

FFXIV isn't the most demanding game I bet.

It remains to be seen how competent S-E is with stuff like this. Hope they can do it.

If GTAV is 1080p, there's no reason why this cant't be.

FF14 can be pretty demanding, but it's also incredibly impressive tech-wise. That game is optimized incredibly well, and reaches 60-fps in most instances on PS4 (obviously you can't account for all areas, due to crowds/etc. Especially Mor Dhona..).

I have faith in SE when it comes to technology and leveraging that. If nothing else, at least we know their games are pretty and run well.

wmlk

If nothing else, at least we know their games are pretty and run well.

The benchmarks seemed to be OK on my crappy laptop.

Square has had massive failures with their internal engines.

There are conflicting accounts on how competent the Luminous Engine is but they're making an entirely new version suited for FFXV. I hope it does well, but who really knows at this point. Having the Luminous team should help.

The benchmarks seemed to be OK on my crappy laptop.

Square has had massive failures with their internal engines.

There are conflicting accounts on how competent the Luminous Engine is but they're making an entirely new version suited for FFXV. I hope it does well, but who really knows at this point. Having the Luminous team should help.

Yeah. FFXIV is a bit of a special case, too, but considering how well-optimized that engine is, it seems that Square probably has good heads on its shoulders...now at least.

when they gonna change that HUD?
is awful

That.....the HUD is damn good. It's very minimalist and practical without getting in the way or obscuring animations or whatnot. Looks good.

Squishy3

People complained about parries in MGR?

I know it's not your typical parry, but damn...

If FFXV's parry work like that then I'm already hyped to try it.
Yeah, some people had trouble with it and concluded it must be the game's fault. Kind of the same thing with the bit at the end where you have to blade mode the pieces of metal the final boss throws at you and people learned they'd been using blade mode wrong the entire game. :p

It's probably not going to be towards+attack (it could be, but obviously won't know until people get hands-on.) so some people might be able to grasp it easier than the parry system in Rising.

Skilletor

FF14 can be pretty demanding, but it's also incredibly impressive tech-wise. That game is optimized incredibly well, and reaches 60-fps in most instances on PS4 (obviously you can't account for all areas, due to crowds/etc. Especially Mor Dhona..).

I have faith in SE when it comes to technology and leveraging that. If nothing else, at least we know their games are pretty and run well.

FF14 isn't 60fps in most instances on PS4.

This is the second post I've seen in a few days with people saying that. I don't know why anybody thinks that's the case.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-final-fantasy-14-ps4-face-off

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It remains to be seen how competent S-E is with stuff like this. Hope they can do it.

If GTAV is 1080p, there's no reason why this cant't be.

XIV is pretty demanding, even on a high end PC just for the sheer amount of things being rendered on screen.

Dunan

Probably not the right place to ask but is there a specific edition called the 'day one' edition for Type-0(some games specifically had that title) or is it just the first print of the game? Not sure what to pick up as I really would love to procure that FF XV DL code...would probably just be best to get Col ed(so expensive though -_-')

In Japan, the one that comes with the FF Type-0-themed PS4 is distinct from the regular edition. It also comes with a download code for Episode Duscae (what does this word mean, anyway? It's not in my dictionary) and an exclusive PS4 theme. Not sure if these codes are exclusive to the Japanese PSN or if they work worldwide.

Yeah, some people had trouble with it and concluded it must be the game's fault. Kind of the same thing with the bit at the end where you have to blade mode the pieces of metal the final boss throws at you and people learned they'd been using blade mode wrong the entire game. :p

It's probably not going to be towards+attack (it could be, but obviously won't know until people get hands-on.) so some people might be able to grasp it easier than the parry system in Rising.

I don't know why I still get impressed at that stuff... I love the parry in that game. I do admit it wasn't until the Bladewolf fight that I learned how to use it. But once I did... Oh yeah.

Blade Mode also took me a while, but never had complaints either... People should stop blaming games for this stuff =X

In Japan, the one that comes with the FF Type-0-themed PS4 is distinct from the regular edition. It also comes with a download code for Episode Duscae (what does this word mean, anyway? It's not in my dictionary) and an exclusive PS4 theme. Not sure if these codes are exclusive to the Japanese PSN or if they work worldwide.

Duscae is the name of the region they are in the demo.

As someone who has only seen the screens in the OP, I fear "streets=hallways" in FFXV. Areas look a little more open, but still feel confined.

I don't like the IQ at all here, AF, AA and draw distance are very bad. but it's a work in progress (lets hope they can improve it in the upcoming months)

The top screenshot is there to show that there has been improvement since the first batch of screenshots.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The top screenshot is there to show that there has been improvement since the first batch of screenshots.

the lower screen is still having the same issues as the top one have, just look at it, low AF, bad AA and low draw distance on both. I don't see the improvements when these issues stay the same between the two.

Falk

that puzzling face
the lower screen is still having the same issues as the top one have, just look at it, low AF, bad AA and low draw distance on both. I don't see the improvements when these issues stay the same between the two.

But the lower screen is the older one.

You rused yourself.

That's really interesting. So battles are not random but only initiated by the played when they confront an enemy? that's pretty cool. Do you only play as those 4 generic anime guys, or do you get other cast members? I assume you'll get other people, but that would suck if you get stuck with only them.

Playable character is only Noctis actually =P, the rest is apparently controlled with something like Gambits from FFXII. (edit: Noctis is the one the player is controlling in that video, if that was not clear)

They did say you get other party members though (these 4 are the main ones).

KoopaTheCasual

That's really interesting. So battles are not random but only initiated by the played when they confront an enemy? that's pretty cool. Do you only play as those 4 generic anime guys, or do you get other cast members? I assume you'll get other people, but that would suck if you get stuck with only them.
They confirmed that there will be "guest" party members. So these 4 will probably be closest tied to story, but you'll get more members.

If I had to guess, guests would be regionally based.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
But the lower screen is the older one.

You rused yourself.

so? I said "both" have the same image quality problems (low AF, lack of AA and bad draw distance) the IQ are bad in both. in my first post I didn't even know which is new and old because I just commented on the IQ , and in the 2nd one said I didn't see any improvement anyway, what I see is bad IQ in "both" (and the problems are in the all of the screens on 4gamer.net link as well).

Dark_castle

Then you can just skip the game, because they are indeed the core party members in the game, plus several other guest party members.

so? I said "both" have the same image quality problems (low AF, lack of AA and bad draw distance) the IQ are bad in both. in my first post I didn't even know which is new and old because I just commented on the IQ , and in the 2nd one said I didn't see any improvement anyway, what I see is bad IQ in "both" (and the problems are in the all of the screens on 4gamer.net link as well).

I'm not really seeing the lack of AA or bad draw distance in the new shots and the IQ is actually pretty good and much improved from the older screenshots.

There's been a noticeable improvement from the older screenshots in those two regards, and its quite clear in the two pictures you replied too.

benzy

I don't like the IQ at all here, AF, AA and draw distance are very bad. but it's a work in progress (lets hope they can improve it in the upcoming months)

?

The aliasing is massively improved, care to point out the bad jaggies in that shot? Draw distance doesn't have much to do with image quality, and the AF is difficult to tell with the added DOF blur. There can definitely a bit more work done but it's a considerable step up from the old screen that had aliasing all over the specular highlights.

I think they should just make the field color green to blend in the grass because I doubt they'll be able to increase the draw distance of the grass that much.

TheXbox

FFXV looks amazing in those screens but in motion there was some straight fugly pop-in during the driving bits of the demo. Monsters fading in, grass popping up, the works. That stuff is definitely par for the course in open-world games but it looked especially bad here. Hope they iron that stuff out before release. I'd take a hit to the resolution if it meant driving wouldn't look so gross.

Xenus

Type-0 impresses the hell out of me in most picture so much so that the occasional one they do show with a teriible texture I'm like wow that texture is awful. Oh right this is a remaster of a PSP game..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Type-0 impresses the hell out of me in most picture so much so that the occasional one they do show with a teriible texture I'm like wow that texture is awful. Oh right this is a remaster of a PSP game..

Type-0 visually is really mixed imo. Some of it looks really good but parts like the enemy and summon models stick out like a sore thumb.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
...What?!

You're saying there's a chance?

PC + this game = goodbye real world.

Seems pretty realistic given the location.

You don't see such open fields teeming with much animals in real life, unless it's some savanna.

Just making a guess. They'll want to capitalize on the packaged versions then get people to double dip. Or at least that's what Rockstar is doing amiright.

Type-0 visually is really mixed imo. Some of it looks really good but parts like the enemy and summon models stick out like a sore thumb.

Really? Which one(s)?

I think the summons have some of the best models in the game and the most touched up, IMO.

...What?!

You're saying there's a chance?

PC + this game = goodbye real world.

Is there a chance? Sure. There's always a chance.

But don't expect it.

Have they made an official statement on this?

It WAS supposed to be in the FFXIII universe originally, after all.

Final Fantasy XV has never been apart of the FFXIII universe.

And yes, Tabata has already stated that terms like l'Cie aren't used in the game.

Dark_castle

Have they made an official statement on this?

It WAS supposed to be in the FFXIII universe originally, after all.

Yes, in a recent interview with Tabata. Though this decision actually dates back to when Nomura was still in charge. I remember he said XV will largely be a story of its own and possibly have no l'cie and other terms from other FNC titles.

Top Bottom