• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new DmC CG Trailer

What are current pre-order estimates?

well I might have to wipe the egg off my face because I'm honestly not sure how accurate the sites were that I'd been looking at. I saw some posts about preorders elsewhere but it turns out it was just VG Chartz - I was all bummed because It went from being out of the top 40 preorders last week and had jumped up significantly. So maybe there is hope.

I was tempted to ask how my local gamestop was doing, I probably will when I go in later this week to buy
DMC HD Collection

This game is trash, this isn't DMC!
Am I doing it right Gaf? Anyways this is the first game I'm buying this year. Can't wait.
Also I think this is the first video where the likes are much higher than dislikes.

Trigger

I'll give this a whirl. The trailer was pretty terrible though. So much of that trailer screams "faux baddass". It's the kind of thing you expect some boring suit in an office to make.

chrono01

As a game, DmC doesn't appear to be fundamentally broken [I've yet to play it, but I've seen numerous videos]. If it was titled something like "Demon Slayer" or something, it would have been fine.

But this isn't the Devil May Cry we know. I think that's where the majority of people's complaints/frustration stem from. I know that's what's pushing me a way from purchasing it. Every time someone would refer to "Donte" as "Dante", or bring up Vergil, it would simply pull me out of the experience because they're not the characters I know/love. The combat seems simplified, as well, and the constant "F*** You!" kind of irritates me.

I might...MIGHT pick up a copy later on if it gets a price-drop. Other than that, it seems I'll be passing on it. Why even reboot Devil May Cry in the first place? Say what you want about Devil May Cry 4, but it sold...incredibly well. I would have been happy with a Devil May Cry 5 with Dante as the main protagonist again. We didn't need to go back to the start. ~_~

As a game, DmC doesn't appear to be fundamentally broken [I've yet to play it, but I've seen numerous videos]. If it was titled something like "Demon Slayer" or something, it would have been fine.

But this isn't the Devil May Cry we know. I think that's where the majority of people's complaints/frustration stem from. I know that's what's pushing me a way from purchasing it. Every time someone would refer to "Donte" as "Dante", or bring up Vergil, it would simply pull me out of the experience because they're not the characters I know/love. The combat seems simplified, as well, and the constant "F*** You!" kind of irritates me.

I might...MIGHT pick up a copy later on if it gets a price-drop. Other than that, it seems I'll be passing on it. Why even reboot Devil May Cry in the first place? Say what you want about Devil May Cry 4, but it sold...incredibly well. I would have been happy with a Devil May Cry 5 with Dante as the main protagonist again. We didn't need to go back to the start. ~_~

Yep. I wonder if this was AngelMightWeep or something, would there be as much dislike for it?

Like if they said this was a game NT with the help of the DMC team. Would people be as mad?

People say that they hate Ninja Theory and all but i don't remember Enslaved being hated this much (if anything no one gave a damn about it..lol).

We will see how it sells. i'd imagine AngelMayWeep wouldn't do as well as this tho. Dat brand recognition goes a long way (see Resident Evil Operation blah blah...didn't that do like 2-3 mil?)

Yep. I wonder if this was AngelMightWeep or something, would there be as much dislike for it?

Like if they said this was a game NT with the help of the DMC team. Would people be as mad?

People say that they hate Ninja Theory and all but i don't remember Enslaved being hated this much (if anything no one gave a damn about it..lol).

We will see how it sells. i'd imagine AngelMayWeep wouldn't do as well as this tho. Dat brand recognition goes a long way (see Resident Evil Operation blah blah...didn't that do like 2-3 mil?)

But this isn't Devil May Cry. It's DmC, some reboot of the game made by another developer (this isn't branded as DMC5). I don't understand how people haven't been able to understand that it IS different and to just move on if you don't like its direction... obviously DMC wasn't selling all that well and Capcom wanted to get away from that series for a moment. Maybe this will even revitalize the franchise and cause more people to check out the actual DMC series, which may result in new DMC games made by Capcom exclusively. The DMC series was obviously not a sacred exclusive thing to Capcom anymore...

chrono01

But this isn't Devil May Cry. It's DMC, some reboot of the game made by another developer. I don't understand how people haven't been able to understand that it IS different and to just move on if you don't like its direction... obviously DMC wasn't selling all that well and Capcom wanted to get away from that series. Maybe this will even revitalize the franchise and cause more people to check out the actual DMC series, which may result in new DMC games made by Capcom exclusively.
It IS supposed to be Devil May Cry, though. The simple name-change doesn't make it a separate series. Dante/Vergil are still the main characters, although that's really where the similarities end [outside of weapon names and possible other references].

Also, the Devil May Cry series was still selling well. In fact, the last installment [Devil May Cry 4] sold over 2 million copies which made it the fastest selling Devil May Cry title to-date.

If it ain't broke...

But this isn't Devil May Cry. It's DmC, some reboot of the game made by another developer (this isn't branded as DMC5). I don't understand how people haven't been able to understand that it IS different and to just move on if you don't like its direction... obviously DMC wasn't selling all that well and Capcom wanted to get away from that series for a moment. Maybe this will even revitalize the franchise and cause more people to check out the actual DMC series, which may result in new DMC games made by Capcom exclusively. The DMC series was obviously not a sacred exclusive thing to Capcom anymore...

The game is called DmC: Devil may Cry. It has many of the characters and weapons from the original. Yes it's a reboot but you would be blind to say that it wasn't trying to be a DMC game.

Please tell me you can see why fans of a franchise would be upset with a new reboot of something they like? I know some people around here are convinced that this game can exist alongside the original franchise, but I am not convinced at all.

And DMC4 was the best selling game in the DMC franchise, so check yoself.

DMC4 sold really well tho.

and if this sells well, why would Capcom go a different route?

My earlier posts about hating was me joking as I am interested in this game. But the fans do have a point in that if this is successful then this will become the actual series and the one they love will die.

It's definitely a valid concern.

What are current pre-order estimates?

The only accurate estimate I can find is the amazon sale rankings and much as I hate to say it the game is doing rather well in europe on both platforms.

In the US its doing well on PS3 and Ok on 360.

Also, anarchy reigns seems to be doing well in Europe as well, though not selling quite as fast.

jett

D-Member
What was his name again? I keep forgetting.

tumblr_me0g4g6Wdi1qh54z7o2_250.gif

The game is called DmC: Devil may Cry. It has many of the characters and weapons from the original. Yes it's a reboot but you would be blind to say that it wasn't trying to be a DMC game.

Please tell me you can see why fans of a franchise would be upset with a new reboot of something they like? I know some people around here are convinced that this game can exist alongside the original franchise, but I am not convinced at all.

And DMC4 was the best selling game in the DMC franchise, so check yoself.

Yea DMC4 was the best seller, but it being the best seller doesn't mean it's a profitable series for Capcom to focus on or one they wanted to focus on (obviously they didn't).

And I totally understand being upset when your favorite series is turned away to a developer that you do not care for, but I don't understand holding that grudge for over a year and constantly having to reiterate your disdain for it.

But also, it is a reboot. If Ninja Theory was solely put on to make Devil May Cry 5, I'd understand it even further. But it is its own contained game, even w/ its similarities. It'd be like SSM passing God of War to say Bottle Rocket and calling it GOW: The God of War (redesigning all the characters ect.), I'd be bummed that we aren't getting GOW4, but I couldn't care less if the core franchise is still intact. (I'm not comparing the quality of DMC to GoW)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Lost what left of faith on this reboot after the horrible demo,and this boring trailer do absolutely nothing for me.

vazel

Banned
I'm not exactly sure what happened there. The city is controlled by an underworld of monsters and Dante is gonna shake shit up?

ezekial45

Banned
The only accurate estimate I can find is the amazon sale rankings and much as I hate to say it the game is doing rather well in europe on both platforms.

In the US its doing well on PS3 and Ok on 360.

Also, anarchy reigns seems to be doing well in Europe as well, though not selling quite as fast.

From what I understand, Capcom doesn't like to release hard info about their pre-order numbers. The only indication we have from them is that the pre-orders went up after that demo, which they said during a Q&A. Which of course was a given.

I'm not exactly sure what happened there. The city is controlled by an underworld of monsters and Dante is gonna shake shit up?

Mix together They Live, Dark City, and Inception -- with a plot of demons controlling mankind, and you've got DmC.

It sounds pretty cool to me.

Yea DMC4 was the best seller, but it being the best seller doesn't mean it's a profitable series for Capcom to focus on or one they wanted to focus on (obviously they didn't).

And I totally understand being upset when your favorite series is turned away to a developer that you do not care for, but I don't understand holding that grudge for over a year and constantly having to reiterate your disdain for it.

But also, it is a reboot. If Ninja Theory was solely put on to make Devil May Cry 5, I'd understand it even further. But it is its own contained game, even w/ its similarities. It'd be like SSM passing God of War to say Bottle Rocket and calling it GOW: The God of War (redesigning all the characters ect.), I'd be bummed that we aren't getting GOW4, but I couldn't care less if the core franchise is still intact. (I'm not comparing the quality of DMC to GoW)

I was simply pointing out that you mentioned lagging sales, when DMC4 was doing just fine. If capcom doesn't see it as profitable, that's their call - though I don't think they've been doing too great decision-wise regarding ANYTHING recently.

It's not holding a grudge, it's the fact that this game has been in development for that long. I frequent gaming sites and you cannot escape shit like "most talked about DMC of all time!" or how DmC controls better than previous entries - Glowing previews of this game don't just admire DmC, they knock the old franchise. It sucks. Call it a grudge if you want, but every time a new trailer comes out I start vomiting all over again.

And last I checked, GoW wasn't rebooting with Ascension - Did I miss the big redesign of Kratos where he wears a studded leather jacket and takes Artemis on a date to see The Clash, only to be interrupted by THE MAN ?

Anteater

I liked that trailer, maybe because I'm comparing it to the very first one which I thought was incredibly bad (but seems interesting on the story side), it could be better, but I thought dante and the "devil trigger" looks a bit cooler there than he does in the actual game.

I'd rather watch action sequences like that than some of the ingame stuff I've seen so far though, or at the very least have some cool action scenes when dante pick up new weapons.

Aretak

I feel like it might have looked awesome when it was in my mid-teens, but now it just seems like it's trying way too hard to be edgy and cool. I miss the goofy style of the previous games.

bon

How many times in this game does he knock soda cans out of random people's hands? Stop telling me what to drink Dante!!

Kinyou

so if all those events which take place in that cg video - the road breaking up, floors falling away, demons, etc - are all in dantes head, then did he knock the little girls drink out of her hand for no reason?
Yeah... not really sure how it works. It's some dimension thing, so it's not just in his head. But the road isn't actually breaking apart either.

...or it really is just in his head and the game ends with him being locked up in an asylum.

Dahbomb

While Devil May Cry 4 wasn't as looked upon as..."fondly" as Devil May Cry 1/3, I still really like the extended trailer uploaded prior to its release. Something about the way the voice acting and background music blends together. Even after all of these years, I still enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BKPvbMF3M
So good.gif

One of the things I regret about DMC4 was that Capcom totally abandoned the original "evil bad ass" Dante they showcased at the start of the game. Dante slicing up and stabbing those humans was a big WTF moment for most fans. Imagine if Dante had actually turned full heel for the game... minds would've been blown.

And watching this trailer again I realized that even Nero is 10x more bad ass than Dante is in DmC. Real talk... look at all that bad ass swag shit he is doing in the trailer.

Carbonox

While Devil May Cry 4 wasn't as looked upon as..."fondly" as Devil May Cry 1/3, I still really like the extended trailer uploaded prior to its release. Something about the way the voice acting and background music blends together. Even after all of these years, I still enjoy it.

I loved the DMC4 trailers.

Makes me want to play through the game again.

Edit: I just wish we could/can see DMC5. I want to see Nero again with a full weapon and whatever else setup. So much can be done with him.

jett

D-Member
Speaking of, I remember Nero getting his share of hate as well before and after the release of the game. I imagine some people still don't like the guy. :p

Zomba13

I loved DMC4 (yeah, it wasn't as good as DMC3 but really, only Bayonetta is). Nero is 1000 times the Dante this nuDante is. I always liked Nero, worst bit about him was his style was limited (in that he couldn't switch weapons like Dante, not that he can't do awesome combos).
Also love the song in the trailer (The DMC4 one I mean). I just do.

DmC trailer is pretty lol though. All CG, fair enough. There are plenty of other in-game trailers for the game right?
Everything about it made me chuckle a bit. Dante being bad ass and non-conformist walking down the stream as all the other sheeple pass him by. Knocking the girls drink out of her hand (which is totally fine because everything in the city is EVIL THE MAN DEMONS).
I still lol everythime nuDante says "My name is Dante." I feel I've heard that in like, every trailer/teaser for this game, like they are trying to get us to accept it. Like he's trying to convince us. "Hey guys. Seriously guys. I'm Dante. Honestly! It says so sewn in my underwear! It must be true! Why don't you guys believe me ;_; "

JoeFenix

I loved the DMC4 trailers.

Makes me want to play through the game again.

Edit: I just wish we could/can see DMC5. I want to see Nero again with a full weapon and whatever else setup. So much can be done with him.

That trailer was so godlike, the first minute and a half, talk about making a statement!

Here's what this game is all about, kicking ass with style and having a blast while doing it. None of that stupid "fuck you" shit.

The animation and the fight choreography is so much better than what we're getting with this new game that it's not even funny. Look at those Nero Devil Bringer finishers, they still get me hyped after nearly 5 years.

I want the fun and excitement back!

Dahbomb

Speaking of, I remember Nero getting his share of hate as well before and after the release of the game. I imagine some people still don't like the guy. :p
People still do and there are legit issues with the character still. Capcom basically pulled a Raiden with DMC4 but had the courtesy to at least put a good chunk of Dante game play in the game.

For the longest time it was very unclear if Dante would even be playable in the game. Having Dante replaced by some unknown guy that was trying hard to be like him rubbed the fans off the wrong way. It was also very weird having a character that looked so much like Dante complete with the white hair and his origin story was practically non-existent in the game... most likely saved for a sequel game because DMC4's story is very incomplete.

Not to mention the whole Nero/Kyrie emo love story was cringe worthy and not what people come to play DMC for. I hope that is the last time we see anything like that in a DMC game unless it's Sparda/Eva in a Sparda game.

Also a lot of people thought he was like a vessel for Vergil or at least Vergil's soul would be in him. That trailer where he says "I need more power" cemented it for most fans including myself. It was very disappointing that Vergil was non-existent in the full game. Even his Devil Trigger looked so much like Vergil's.

That said I still like Nero. He looks good design wise, he is voice acted well, has solid game play and a fun personality. I don't mind him being part of the franchise but he needs to have his origin story explored more before he is fully accepted in the Sparda legacy.

Nero is the only likeable character in DMC.

Old Dante looks cool, but is an insufferable Poochie that you want to kick in the balls.

Vergil looks even cooler, but is a dick and kind of bland.

New Dante...yeah...

Nero actually kind of feels like a human being, sometimes.

Nero is the only likeable character in DMC.

Old Dante looks cool, but is an insufferable Poochie that you want to kick in the balls.

Vergil looks even cooler, but is a dick and kind of bland.

New Dante...yeah...

Nero actually kind of feels like a human being, sometimes.

Too bad you have to split up "Old Dante" into DMC Dante, DMC2 Dante (haha right), DMC3 Dante (curhayzee) and DMC4 Uncle Dante.

And boy are people split on what "Old Dante" should be like.

EDIT:
Dahbomb said:
That said I still like Nero. He looks good design wise, he is voice acted well, has solid game play and a fun personality. I don't mind him being part of the franchise but he needs to have his origin story explored more before he is fully accepted in the Sparda legacy.

This absolutely.

Too bad you have to split up "Old Dante" into DMC Dante, DMC2 Dante (haha right), DMC3 Dante (curhayzee) and DMC4 Uncle Dante.

And boy are people split on what "Old Dante" should be like.

I will clarify that I've only played DMC3 and 4. But Dante is definitely forced "cool" goofy annoying in those games.

I will clarify that I've only played DMC3 and 4. But Dante is definitely forced "cool" goofy annoying in those games.

I could see how people took him that way - I've seen a lot of dislike for DMC4 Dante especially on NeoGAF. I liked him however. I read him as bored since he was so massively outclassing everyone else in the game. So he came off as a rightfully cocky guy.

I did, however, play 3 before 1, so I assume that definitely has something to do with my affinity for Uncle Dante.

Carbonox

I love Dante's attitude and humour in DMC4. By that game he was at the point where he's essentially a God, and treated every encounter with complete nonchalance, way more than DMC3.

When Nero was pounding his head in to the ground during the beginning of DMC4, I was surprised he didn't actually laugh out loud.

However, my favourite Dante is DMC1 Dante. Great mixture of everything without going too far in either personality. Raging Dante is also best Dante. When he tells Mundus to silence and rebounds his laser beams away, I had chills. But I digress, I have to try and find something appealing about Donte now. Hopefully he has some redeeming qualities cos everything I've seen and heard of him so far is boredom.

I read him as bored since he was so massively outclassing everyone else in the game. So he came off as a rightfully cocky guy.

Yeah, that's what they're going for.

But I think it's bad writing to make a Superman character who's so invincible and has no consequences to anything that happens to them.

Dante could be just as strong without being able to constantly take impalings and survive them.

He could possibly be capable of understanding the concept of danger, a serious situation, and maybe even stop talking down to every character he encounters like a prick. Then I'd hate him less.

There's still another half of the game we haven't seen.

There's 20 missions overall and we've seen about 8-9 of them.

Boss fights are classed as missons in this game.

we have seen up to mission 12 at the very least.

From what I understand, Capcom doesn't like to release hard info about their pre-order numbers. The only indication we have from them is that the pre-orders went up after that demo, which they said during a Q&A. Which of course was a given.
like I said, The sales rankings are the only accurate data available, however, from the pace of amazon sales rankings, you can get a rough idea of how well the game is doing elsewhere, without hard numbers.

Being within the top 100 with over a week to go is a very good sign in many european countries.

jett

D-Member
Personally this series has always had its fair share of shitty characters, Dante included. Nero is probably the most believable/likeable of the bunch, like Dahbomb said.

Obligatory DMC3 trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1c74euB5w
I would love a DMC5 with Dante/Vergil and even Nero. I liked Nero a lot.
I'dbecoolwithjustaDMC5onlyDantethatbeatsDMC3SE

I don't really want any more multiple characters unless they're developed after most of the game is set in stone, like both of Vergil's appearances.. Otherwise we are in danger of ending up with two gimps, like in DMC4.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm pretty sure the Night Club is Mission 13. Since bosses are their own mission, that would mean we've seen up to Mission 14.

Dahbomb

Lady was great in DMC3 but reduced to an eye candy Bond girl type character in DMC4... without the sex.

But I think it's bad writing to make a Superman character who's so invincible and has no consequences to anything that happens to them.
This is the truth and probably had a big hand in why Capcom wanted to reboot DMC. They had written Dante's character into a corner with no where to go. In DMC3 he had an antagonist who was at least on par with him so it was actually an engaging part of his story in that game. In DMC1 he had to face Mundus who Dante couldn't defeat by himself he had to use Sparda's power to bring him down... Vergil already had suffered under Mundus so that was an actual instance of danger for Dante.

DMC2 and DMC4 Dante were too strong for their own games... game play and story wise. It added 0 tension to their story and no real character development. While I don't like the anime... it suffered from the exact same problem. Dante didn't even need to Devil Trigger in the anime to beat his foes.. he was so much stronger than anyone else in that universe.

Only way they can put tension in DMC again with old Dante is to bring back Vergil somehow. Give Vergil the Sparda sword... let's see how Dante handles that. It's either that or they have to heavily expand the lore/universe and start bringing in more dimensions/worlds where stronger demons live or some shit.

Top Bottom