• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Driveclub footage looks stunning

I would prefer that in the future there would not be any discussion about framerate and resolution. Both should be fixed @ 1080p/60 fps and from there, developper chooses what he wants to put inside.

Oh, and again Evolution : bring on Motorstorm on ps4. From Pacific Rift, the best imho.

...I really don't notice a huge difference between 30/60fps in racing games. Shooters and action? Yes. Racing? Not really.

Also, people are sorely underrating NFS in here. Looks beautiful as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I will give it a try as long as they dont add super long unskippable cut-scenes ala forza 5 and NFS rivals.

Rivals unskippable cut-scenes and tutorials was so bad I wanted to through a brink through my tv in the first 5 mins!

My favourite part of NFS rivals was the unskippable tutorials followed by forced connection to EA servers which weren't working in the UK yesterday, so I had to quit.

Just lock it at 30 and go graphical bang or lock it at 60 and go for okay graphics and the better gameplay experience.

Footage looks good.

Yeah, some of these same users I swear we should almost separate the threads.

Sorry, but there is no way in heck I could be okay with Forza gfx. I went beyond that with Hot Pursuit on PC a long time ago and I am not going back.

I love frames but if it means holding resolution and a massive pile of effects 30FPS is the way to go for launch. Too many people here living on the poor end of the gfx line. Sorry, but drivability at 30fps isn't going to kill you. Graphics do matter and I want to see some beautiful locations. I don't want tremendous jaggies, horrid shadows, and terrible pop-in and lighting. Why people sac a few frames to make their picture almost unbearably horrid looking is just odd to me.

And if you want that------------>Forza thread that way.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
I consider the 60fps whine and the PC try-hard gloating on the same level.

Both are things I love 60fps gaming, and PC gaming, but it's one thing to enjoy and prefer them, it's another to whine and gloat every chance, destroying all discussion when we're talking about gaming systems that are excellent value and performance per dollar.

Driveclub is going to be great fun, as all games have been for the past decades running at whatever framerate they were on, and whatever system they were on.

Nozem

It looks great, no doubt. But I still have worries if the game actually will be fun.

I mean it's semi-realistic racing, nothing that we couldn't do on the PS3 (hell, even the PS2). It just looks better, but there's nothing really special about it apart from graphics. Motorstorm was so fresh and exciting compared to this.

I do like how they keep the post processing to a small amount of effect in Drive club and let the lighting and cars speak for the game.

orioto

Good Art™
It looks great, no doubt. But I still have worries if the game actually will be fun.

I mean it's semi-realistic racing, nothing that we couldn't do on the PS3 (hell, even the PS2). It just looks better, but there's nothing really special about it apart from graphics. Motorstorm was so fresh and exciting compared to this.

oh dat next gen gameplay, where it is!!

Well it is a racing game. I think the game has craploads of imprvements over anything we have played in racing currently besides maybe Project Cars.

Graphics and physics go a long way in video games. Sound as well.

Azric

Banned
As someone who owns Forza 5, I can definitely say Drive Club now looks better for sure. Cars are the only good thing about Forza.. I hate the environments and crowds. Also the jaggies..damnit.

sirap

This looks bananas. Also, don't really care about this running at 30fps. I'm not a good enough driver to take advantage of that 60fps smoothness :p

Banned
Yup. I don't know why people want devs to go 60 fps. A stable 30 is perfectly smooth and fine for me. And if I get visuals like DriveClubs' I say to hell with 60, (At least in a car game) I want bells and whistles.

Because this is a game developed from the ground up purely on the PS4, It should be technical showpiece for the system.

Racing games are one of two main genres that benefit massively from smooth 60fps motion, It'd be a much better experience for it.

Nozem

And what if you can have the crazy idea that changing the environment and light in a game actually changes your experience ?

Hey, if that's all it takes for you to be excited about this game, then that is great for you. But it's not a good enough selling point for me.

I think this game is a giant waste of an opportunity to bring something really special (like Motorstorm was) to the PS4.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Doesn't have to be "next gen", just not something we've done a thousand times before.

The actual sport of car-racing also hasn't changed substantially for decades, and yet millions of people are still mesmerized daily by high-powered sportscars racing on tarmac. I'm really curious what they should have done just to make it "different".

Evolution set out to create a gloriously semi-photorealistic arcade-style racer with deep social hooks and a lighting system that makes jaws drop. Fun, awesome resonsive gameplay and great visuals were probably priority one, two and three.

Let's hear your ideas on how they could have turned these ideas around. Make the cars fly? Box-shaped powerups so you can drop banana peels? Loop-de-loops on the track?

Hey, if that's all it takes for you to be excited about this game, then that is great for you. But it's not a good enough selling point for me.

I think this game is a giant waste of an opportunity to bring something really special (like Motorstorm was) to the PS4.

Buy the new NFS or wait for next year's version?

Nozem

Let's hear your ideas on how they could have turned these ideas around. Make the cars fly? Box-shaped powerups so you can drop banana peels? Loop-de-loops on the track?

I have no idea, I would be a terrible game designer. But as a consumer, I see no reason to buy this game other than "really pretty graphics".

Maybe I'm just not the target audience, and that's fine. But obviously I'd rather see something from Evo I would like to play, like Motorstorm was.

Bikola

I hope it's in 3d as well, Evolutions studio have always done 3d with their racing games, i don't see why Drive club wont be 3d.

Yup. I don't know why people want devs to go 60 fps. A stable 30 is perfectly smooth and fine for me. And if I get visuals like DriveClubs' I say to hell with 60, (At least in a car game) I want bells and whistles.

The folks at Evolution should have never changed tack and mention they were aiming for 60fps halfway through development. Now every thread about DriveClub gets bogged down in whiny frame rate chatter. It's becoming insufferable.

Portugeezer

I clicked without reading and thought GT5 can't compare to next gen... it's Forza 5?

537.gif

The folks at Evolution should have never changed tack and mention they were aiming for 60fps halfway through development. Now every thread about DriveClub gets bogged down in whiny frame rate chatter. It's becoming insufferable.

Lol, so true.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Preach.

Clearly the real reason Driveclub got delayed was because they didn't want this to destroy GT6 this week.

Seriously though this game looks better and better. Seems crazy to me that they're giving this away for free on PS+ in any form.

Marketing. A friend comes over to your house who doesn't own a PS4, notices you have one, and asks if it's any good. You load up the free version and blow him out of his socks then tell him it's free. Boom another PS4 sold.

True to an extent ("don't make less graphics for more frameratez"), but it seems like threads about most games like this - though, perhaps, DC in particular - gets bogged down with these tired back-and-forths about fps. So, even if Evolution just clearly stated from the beginning that it would be 30fps and nothing else, we'd still have this shit going on.

Is DriveClub set in the future???...whats with that stone pillar building and the object floating to the left of it???

channel 4 ident

Wait is it not 60fps? There goes any possible chance of me buying it.

you're gonna miss out on a great looking fun racing game because of 30 extra frames a second.
i honestly dont know why 60 is such a big deal - it's nice, yes, but it's far from needed. games play perfectly fine at 30fps with no issues.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wait is it not 60fps? There goes any possible chance of me buying it.

30fps is actually FASTER: You can drive the same distance in 30 frames as you would in 60 frames.

That's HALF the number number of frames used up for the same length of track!

Therefore one 30 fps frame is FASTER than one 60 fps frame!

Top Bottom