• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dunkirk trailer

Daft_Cat

wL5Tz8i.gif

Lol. I just visited like several movie threads at random, and you're throwing shade in every single one.

Tookay

I'm a big fan of Nolan, but something about the camerawork and action in this looks real... stilted. Like something out of a pre-Saving Private Ryan era.

Nickiepoo

Is this an ILM scene?

Nope, Double Negative. I was the crowd artist for these beach shots (mostly aerial) and while there were a huge number of extras some of the head-level shots also had CG guys to pad them out.

The first shot in the trailer was one of my major ones and is entirely CG, crowd wise. But if any of you have sharp eyes you'll see that it's different from the prologue version, which was using DMP crowds alongside the CG.

I'm a big fan of Nolan, but something about the camerawork and action in this looks real... stilted. Like something out of a pre-Saving Private Ryan era.

Saving Private Ryan was all about handheld, claustrophobic intimacy to capture the visceral nature of boots on the ground warfare, and pretty much every war film since then has aped its style.

Nolan is going for more David Lean-esque wide framing emphasizing scale and distance, and has more painterly framing. I don't think that's a bad approach at all considering what the story is about.

FTF

Yup, hyped now. Those visuals and iq were pretty damn amazing. I need to see this on a real imax screen for sure.

Nope, Double Negative. I was the crowd artist for these beach shots (mostly aerial) and while there were a huge number of extras some of the head-level shots also had CG guys to pad them out.

The first shot in the trailer was one of my major ones and is entirely CG, crowd wise. But if any of you have sharp eyes you'll see that it's different from the prologue version, which was using DMP crowds alongside the CG.
Cool to hear, thanks for your crowd service!

I'm curious to see if Americans see a WW2 movie that doesn't seem to have any Americans in it

I'm betting on no

Looks good though, something about Nolan's dry and cool style is a good match for the setting

I think it's less about not having any Americans in it, and more about the movie is not about Americans. LOL Beyond the brand of Nolan directing and good will his name has with American audiences, I think this film will be a tough sell to America especially since it's being put in the thick of other Summer Popcorn Blockbusters. I'm not so sure people want to watch such a serious historical war film in July.

This trailer makes the film look way more like a straight ahead action flick.

If they cut another trailer together that emphasizes that aspect over the "historical drama" stuff, I bet people pack in there pretty decently.

If this movie has a "hallway fight" type moment, they need to probably sneak a couple seconds of whatever that is into the marketing.

This trailer makes the film look way more like a straight ahead action flick.

If they cut another trailer together that emphasizes that aspect over the "historical drama" stuff, I bet people pack in there pretty decently.

If this movie has a "hallway fight" type moment, they need to probably sneak a couple seconds of whatever that is into the marketing.

What film that debuts the same weekend do you think beats the other? Dunkirk or Valerian.

effzee

I think it's less about not having any Americans in it, and more about the movie is not about Americans. LOL Beyond the brand of Nolan directing and good will his name has with American audiences, I think this film will be a tough sell to America especially since it's being put in the thick of other Summer Popcorn Blockbusters. I'm not so sure people want to watch such a serious historical war film in July.

We will see how much his name carries weight. Plus Inception worked in the middle of more common or usual summer movies.

Anyway regardless of how good the movie is or how well it does, I know from some of the shots that scenes in tight spaces with water closing in are going to make me tense as hell. I'm not usually claustrophobic but water scares the shit out of me.

We will see how much his name carries weight. Plus Inception worked in the middle of more common or usual summer movies.

Anyway regardless of how good the movie is or how well it does, I know from some of the shots that scenes in tight spaces with water closing in are going to make me tense as hell. I'm not usually claustrophobic but water scares the shit out of me.

I have no question the film will be amazing. This film comes across as a passion project for Nolan. Despite Inception being considered a huge risk at the time, it's a Sci Fi film set in the present with a great premise, great practical and special effects,Nolan coming off the highly successful Dark Knight Trilogy and more importantly Leonardo Di Caprio as a leading man. You can't really compare that to this film and the timing of it.

Dunkirk will handily beat Valerian at the box office.

I think it's going to be close, with Spider Man or War for the Planet of Apes still winning the weekend in their 3rd week or 2nd week, respectively.

Rktk

Someone said "sterile" before and I think that's a problem with most of his films. There is a cleanness to everything that leaves me cold, I think Nolan is a very good director but I have had trouble connecting emotionally with his work.

4Tran

It's not war. It's survival. Don't expect any battles like Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge. That's not what Dunkirk was.
But there was a ton of fighting on the Dunkirk perimeter. French and British defenders would fight so hard that they ran out of ammunition. We haven't seen much of this from the film, but it'd be easy to incorporate if Nolan was interested in it.

But there was a ton of fighting on the Dunkirk perimeter. French and British defenders would fight so hard that they ran out of ammunition. We haven't seen much of this from the film, but it'd be easy to incorporate if Nolan was interested in it.

This film is mostly focusing on the men stranded on the beaches though. Nolan wanted to focus on the psychological torture these men went through. Not knowing if they were ever going to be rescued and stuck on the beach getting picked off from the skies. This film is basically going to be non-stop suspense with a race against time. Most of the action seems like it'll be coming from the dogfights.

4Tran

This film is mostly focusing on the men stranded on the beaches though. Nolan wanted to focus on the psychological torture these men went through. Not knowing if they were ever going to be rescued and stuck on the beach getting picked off from the skies. This film is basically going to be non-stop suspense with a race against time. Most of the action seems like it'll be coming from the dogfights.
That may be the goal, but in doing so, Nolan would also be perpetuating the myth of Dunkirk and failing to tell the complete story by the same token. Those men wouldn't be waiting on the beach if it weren't for all of the heavy fighting covering their evacuation. The Battle of Dunkirk was possibly the hardest fought battle in Western Europe until 1944 so there isn't much excuse for ignoring that aspect of it.

Aurongel

So now people are advocating the use of shaky cam for shake cam's sake? Saving Private Ryan isn't the template from which all war movies should be made.

That may be the goal, but in doing so, Nolan would also be perpetuating the myth of Dunkirk and failing to tell the complete story by the same token. Those men wouldn't be waiting on the beach if it weren't for all of the heavy fighting covering their evacuation. The Battle of Dunkirk was possibly the hardest fought battle in Western Europe until 1944 so there isn't much excuse for ignoring that aspect of it.

You're right, the evacuation wouldn't be possible without those men fighting off the opposition. However, I fail to see how that would be perpetuating a myth on Nolan's part by not focusing on that aspect. That aspect of the event can be explained with a few snippets of dialogue without actually showing it. Besides, we do get glimpses of some soldiers evading fire within the city so we may get some of that in the film as well. I'm just saying that's not what Nolan wanted to focus on. The actual evacuation is what this film is centered on and it's going to be told from three different perspectives. Think of the film as more Fury Road than any other WWII films. It's going to be a lean film with little dialogue and suspenseful action pretty much throughout. But I can see how someone might be a little disappointed if it's not like Saving Private Ryan.

You're right, the evacuation wouldn't be possible without those men fighting off the opposition. However, I fail to see how that would be perpetuating a myth on Nolan's part by not focusing on that aspect. That aspect of the event can be explained with a few snippets of dialogue without actually showing it. Besides, we do get glimpses of some soldiers evading fire within the city so we may get some of that in the film as well. I'm just saying that's not what Nolan wanted to focus on. The actual evacuation is what this film is centered on and it's going to be told from three different perspectives. Think of the film as more Fury Road than any other WWII films. It's going to be a lean film with little dialogue and suspenseful action pretty much throughout. But I can see how someone might be a little disappointed if it's not like Saving Private Ryan.
Have you seen the movie or something?

But Nolan can't pull off action choreography.

Fight choreography. Everything else his fine. Nolan has a great sense of scale and spectacle which is important for this particular story. Most of the action is going to be from the dogfights and the ships being bombed. As well as soldiers scattering on the beach from attacks coming from the skies and trying to avoid drowning from the sinking ships.

No, but you can read interviews of Nolan talking about the film and if you've seen the prologue you can get a more accurate representation of the tone of the film that you may not get from the marketing so far. Also, this is based on a historical event.
Well there is a difference between saying "I took inspiration from one of the best movies of the last decade" in a hype interview and actually pulling off a Fury Roadesque movie.

But I hope you're right.

Well there is a difference between saying "I took inspiration from one of the best movies of the last decade" in a hype interview and actually pulling off a Fury Roadesque movie.

But I hope you're right.

He didn't compare it to Fury Road. Those who saw the prologue and read his interviews did. But if you don't care for that comparison, then just think of the third acts in most of his recent films where hes cutting between different perspectives while building towards the climax. Sort of like Inception, however it's not just the third act but the whole film.

You can read this interview if you want
http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/exclusive-interview-christopher-nolan-on-why-dunkirk-is-like-nothing-youve-ever-seen-before-752098

Nolan is a good director with a unique flair. This trailer looks great.

I do think WB is being cocky releasing this in July though. Unless there is some sort of fantastical element to the film that they plan to market closer to release, I think July is a bad idea. I'll see it either way though.

I think the editing on these trailers has been pretty ass but I have total confidence the movie will be amazing .

Btw just realized that Prometheus had a better RT percentage than Interstellar , lol....what a joke .

Random but yeah...

I think the editing on these trailers has been pretty ass but I have total confidence the movie will be amazing .

Btw just realized that Prometheus had a better RT percentage than Interstellar , lol....what a joke .

Random but yeah...

You can't really compare RT percentages towards different movies and gain anything meaningful out of it. It doesn't work like that.

4Tran

You're right, the evacuation wouldn't be possible without those men fighting off the opposition. However, I fail to see how that would be perpetuating a myth on Nolan's part by not focusing on that aspect. That aspect of the event can be explained with a few snippets of dialogue without actually showing it.
The myth is about downplaying the non-evacuation parts of Dunkirk and in ignoring the non-British roles. Just showing the evacuation is exactly the sort of thing that perpetuates the myth. It'd also be a bit like a film about Midway that doesn't show the battle.

Pilgore

Neo Member
As someone who has been an extra for this movie, I think you folks are gonna love it. Some craaaazy practical FX and stuntwork goes down in this.

Rktk

Not Memento, although if the remake goes to plan it will probably have the sterile look.

I agree, I think Memento is unlike most of his other films, it has a grit to it that isn't present elsewhere although I haven't seen any film he made prior to Memento.

Brinbe

Real talk, nothing about this has looked the least bit enticing to watch at all and reading through the comments in this thread, I'm glad I haven't been the only one to feel this way lol. Maybe the actual movie will be good though? I'll wait for those reviews to hit.

Pilgore

Neo Member
Is that you?

Haha, nope! That was in Dunkirk, France. I did extra work in The Netherlands.

About the trailer, I'm not blown away by it either but I think most Nolan movie trailers are underwhelming compared to the movies they're made for.

He makes movies with the big-screen in mind, preferably IMAX (seriously though, if you can, go see it IMAX).

Looks... incredible, though I agree the trailer is... odd. Then again, it could be just conditioning to traditional trailers as that certainly wasn't one. Took me two watches to be totally on board.
Can't wait to take my son to see this :)

The 5 minute sequence that they showed in cinemas was straight up action with barely any dialogue, and he has said he's going for a more focused visual approach rather than lots of exposition like in his other movies. I'd love if this became the Fury Road of WW2 movies.

YAAAAAAAAASSSSS

Top Bottom