• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM and GFW scores and such

Drinky Crow said:
game pundits hate the ps3 because they resent massively parallel architectures wed to budget gpu solutions. man, this one egm reviewer i talked to said he secretly loved the ps3 much as a wachowski brother likes getting a riding crop up his pooter from an obese woman in leather, but he felt that in the greater interest of preventing the spread of out-of-order execution programming matrices and asynchronous bus timing models that would ultimately be constrained by fillrate opportunities, he had to adopt the log cabin republican approach: bash ps3 games in print whenever possible. sorry, folklore: spe chaining algorithms cost you those 4 points.

Seriously this is fantastic.

Drinky Crow said:
because as white man said, in terms of implementation and mechanics, it's a brokedown horse of a game. it also has a terrible -- TERRIBLE -- localization effort, with a gibberish plot and hilariously stilted dialogue. the linear levels and crude beat-em-up gameplay, as well as the repeating locales, are tiresome and largely demand very, very little from the player. it is ultimately a museum game - a game where you ooh and ahh as you tread small linear areas back and forth -- and those are possibly the most divisive games out there, since they demand complete immersion yet offer very poor gameplay mechanics. if you're on the "immersion" side, you'll probably love the game and hardly mind the flaws. if you're on the "mechanics" side, games like this will frustrate and ultimately bore you completely. 9. 5. simple!

Playing through the demo, I couldn't see what the hype was about either. The gameplay seemed like lightweight Zelda mixed with elements of Pokemon with some motion control thrown in.

Oh, and the 8+ pages of whining over Ratchet's solitary sub-9 score and using that as justification for EGM/1up's bias against the PS3 in favor of the 360 might have been the most pathetic thing I've read on these boards, particularly when the whiners felt the need to bash to some degree Halo 3, Bioshock, Gears of War, Orange Box, Mario Sunshine and several other top-tier games.

Darji said:
then whats the problem to let the people do the reviews who are actually love this genre instead of the ones who dont even understand the games they are going to review. (hint at NWN2)

I know we've all moved on from babbling with Darji, but I couldn't resist this callout. NWN2 review? Really? That's your example of someone who doesn't know the genre? Same Jeff Green who started as the RPG editor of CGW in 1996?

Yea, okay. It is to laugh.

Kittonwy

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
that would be a truly wonderful sentiment if most reviewers were actually credible authorities on games in general. but they are not, and as a result we get the latest round of "lol a koei rehash" slamfests (while they treat the latest "ea sports rehash" with almost untenable gravitas) and snarky eye-rolling segues describing their inappropriate disaffection for dungeon crawlers. in the real world, game reviewers are generally no more than strident genre fans and nostalgia addicts with often irrelevant college degrees -- if they even have a degree when apparently participation in a popular fansite will suffice. you wanna talk about proper criticism in a sub-industry that quietly exults the dave halversons of the community (even as they vocally condemn them), and to whom a classical education is completely irrelevant as long as you can name the associate producers and scenario designers on zoe2? yeeeeeaaaah.

Can you adopt me please drinky?
angry.gif

Darji

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
you're almost implausibly stupid. have you even played the "new" r&c? if anything, it embodies the oft-repeated if rarely justified complaint that next-gen is just last-gen in high-definition. much as i hate nintendo and their ill-begotten nostalgia-addled fanboy ilk, super mario galaxy is wholly evolved in terms of mechanics. r&c is straight-up r&c 5 with a glossy coat of super-de-duper high-resolution varnish. i'm shocked that r&c 5 is getting the stellar scores it is -- if any book or film dared be as unambitious as it is, it'd be skewered as mediocre and derivative. fortunately for insomniac, games are different beasts, and many of us -- myself included -- don't mind more of the same.

As i said i played the demo and as I also said i believe that Mario galaxy will be a new revolution but I compared it with Mario sunshine which got very high scores even it didnt change anything at all compared to mario 64.

And that goes for many Sequels you see these days. Why should a game change much when its a blast as it is? There is no reason to believe that games nowadays are only AAA titles when they have multiplayer or other stupid changes.

Mario Sunshine and several other top-tier games.
:lol :lol

Sorry but what makes sunshine outstanding? Absolutly nothing.

Darji said:
As i said i played the demo and as I also said i believe that Mario galaxy will be a new revolution but I compared it with Mario sunshine which got very high scores even it didnt change anything at all compared to mario 64.

And that goes for many Sequels you see these days. Why should a game change much when its a blast as it is? There is no reason to believe that games nowadays are only AAA titles when they have multiplayer or other stupid changes.

This would be great reasoning, if time didn't exist.

SantaC

The castellan lovefest annoys me. Not that he is a bad poster, but uh comon. A following for one person is so distgusting.

Kittonwy

Banned
AZ Greg said:
Every month its the same song and dance. J-Rzez, fortified_concept, and the crew continue their crusade against the the anti-Sony Ziff Davis. Ignoring praise handed out by 1UP and EGM, they focus on the scores of PS3 exclusives and decide that they are too low even though they haven't played the game at the time the review goes up.

The best part is that the scores from EGM and 1UP are generally right around the averages for these games and in some cases higher.

Resistance:
Gamerankings: 87.3%
EGM: 85%
1UP: 85%

Motorstorm:
Gamerankings: 82.7%
EGM: 80%

Ninja Gaiden Sigma:
Gamerankings: 86.8%
EGM: 86.7%
1UP: 90%

LAIR:
Gamerankings: 56.8%
EGM: 55%

Warhawk:
Gamerankings: 83.9%
EGM: 80%
1UP: 85%

Heavenly Sword:
Gamerankings: 81.3%
EGM: 83.3%
1UP: 80%

Wow, EGM/1UP are really missing the boat with their PS3 reviews. /Sarcasm

I expect Ratchet's average to end up closer to EGM's 8.5 then their 9.5. But keep ignoring that 9.5 as that score doesn't serve your agenda.

IF the scores were completely independently assessed, without knowing what kind of scores other sites are giving, but sometimes when one site gives a lower than expected score, it just opens the floodgates for other sites to give a similar score, I wonder if smaller sites would want to rate a game significantly higher than what a major site gives, and if major sites aren't aware of each other's scores.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SantaC said:
The castellan lovefest annoys me. Not that he is a bad poster, but uh comon. A following for one person is so distgusting.

You gotta admit, though, it's better for someone such as Drinky to have a following, than most of the people here. <3 Drinky

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
underfooter said:
I'm actually liking what DrinkyCow has to say in this thread.

As an object lesson in how condescension doesn't work in all-lower-case?

I kid, I kid. What's your degree in, Doug? Run-on sentences?

D2M15 said:
As an object lesson in how condescension doesn't work in all-lower-case?

I kid, I kid. What's your degree in, Doug? Run-on sentences?

english lit, with a focus on faulkner. or did you mean my other degree in computer science, with a focus on routing protocols?

DevelopmentArrested said:
This coming from the guy who claims Ratchet ToD is a 9+ game without having played it. :lol :lol Hypocrite.

to his, er, credit, it's a pretty safe assumption based on the demo that r&c 5 plays like every other ratchet and clank game. i wouldn't give any of them a 9 or better, mind you, but given his tastes and insomniac's cookie cutter approach to sequel development, he's probably already played r&c 5, even if he hasn't, if you catch my drift.

Darji

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
This coming from the guy who claims Ratchet ToD is a 9+ game without having played it. :lol :lol Hypocrite.
i am saying that because almost everyone who played it says that this rachet is one of the best rachets ever so yeah.

Oh and i can even tell you how a new Halo would play. Almost exactly like the old ones. Beacuse the consitent great gameplay makes a IP famous. Like God of War for example. Part 2 is gameplaywise exactly the same only with a few changes. But is that a bad thing? No definitly not.

Drinky Crow said:
to his, er, credit, it's a pretty safe assumption based on the demo that r&c 5 plays like every other ratchet and clank game. i wouldn't give any of them a 9 or better, mind you, but given his tastes and insomniac's cookie cutter approach to sequel development, he's probably already played r&c 5, even if he hasn't, if you catch my drift.

roffles.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
FabCam said:
I seriously don't get the scores for Folklore. It got 9's and 5's. How can the game vary so much.

Because it was a horribly average game that Sony artificially raised to the level of "Triple A Saviour of the PS3". While most saw through and gave the game the scores it deserved, some took the bait.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
McBacon said:
Because it was a horribly average game that Sony artificially raised to the level of "Triple A Saviour of the PS3". While most saw through and gave the game the scores it deserved, some took the bait.

Are you kidding?

Drinky Crow said:

I'm struggling to understand your point here. Sequels almost never deviate from the generic conventions of predecessors, in video games, literature or cinema. There is a formula (usually very clearly defined) and it's stuck to. I know many GAFers regard SMG as untouchable but aside from interesting level design it still looks like a 3D Mario game. Sticking with the Plumber SMS was the very definition of cookie cutter sequel yet it still recieved (and deserved) high scores (despite the fact that the one addition it did make almost broke the game).

Darji said:
Sorry but what makes sunshine outstanding? Absolutly nothing.
You've whined for 8+ pages about a Ratchet and Clank game getting a sub-9 score, and then you talk trash about Mario Sunshine?

This seriously does not compute. Sunshine was tied with Up Your Arsenal for the spot of highest rated platformer last gen.

Mario Sunshine: 91.6%
R+C: 89.3%
Going Commando: 90.7%
Up Your Arsenal: 91.6%

But let me guess: Mario Sunshine didn't deserve its high scores?

Darji

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
You've whined for 8+ pages about a Ratchet and Clank game getting a sub-9 score, and then you talk trash about Mario Sunshine?

This seriously does not compute. Sunshine was tied with Up Your Arsenal for the spot of highest rated platformer last gen.

Mario Sunshine: 91.6%
R+C: 89.3%
Going Commando: 90.7%
Up Your Arsenal: 91.6%

But let me guess: Mario Sunshine didn't deserve its high scores?
i was comparing 1Up review scores and if i am not mistaken Sunshine got a 9.5 at 1UP.

When did Ratchet games start being these automatic 9+ game where every score below 9 is ridiculous? If this game is like the older Ratchets (and all indications are it very much is) scores in the 8s seem perfectly reasonable. Sure some people might like it more (for example, I think the Sly Cooper games were underrated) but how is an 8.5 so outrageous? Ratchet games to me (and as I recall to many, many others) have always been very good but just a bit short of greatness.

Darji

Banned
i am quoting some quote from the official thread:

They've totally nailed the controls, and more importantly the camera, and there's not a single time throughout the entire game where I felt like I was fighting either of them. For a 3D platformer, that's a pretty huge accomplishment.

1up:

Unfortunately, this sequel does suffer from an assortment of minor issues that keep it from reaching the standards set by its predecessors. Most troubling is the camera: In previous games, it didn't even require a second thought, but here I was frankly frustrated by how often I had to fight the camera for dominance. One memorable segment finds Ratchet on a pirate ship trying to blow up an enemy ship's cannons. For some reason, the camera locks to a distant, side-view perspective that makes it stupidly difficult to lock on to the cannons. This isn't the only time the camera controls are taken out of the hands of the player, but it's the most egregious.

also from:
AltogetherAndrews
No, it was mostly crap. And let's be fair here; if you are someone who has trouble identifying that leap from the PS2 Ratchet games to this one, in terms of graphics quality, then you have no business talking about graphics in the first place.

And nevermind that there is no mention of character/creature design and animation. But who has time for such mentions when one can talk about it not feeling like it really pushes the PS3? Important stuff first, that's what 1up is all about.

Sorry but this is just a stupid Review and They should get all the hate they earn and thats a shitload of hate.

freethought said:
I'm struggling to understand your point here. Sequels almost never deviate from the generic conventions of predecessors, in video games, literature or cinema. There is a formula (usually very clearly defined) and it's stuck to. I know many GAFers regard SMG as untouchable but aside from interesting level design it still looks like a 3D Mario game. Sticking with the Plumber SMS was the very definition of cookie cutter sequel yet it still recieved (and deserved) high scores (despite the fact that the one addition it did make almost broke the game).

cookie cutter? first, let's set the context: the three canonical mario three-dee platformers (including smg) have been spread out over the last 11 years. conversely, the last FIVE ratchet and clank titles have been over the past 5. (six if you count deadlocked, which i don't.) second, super mario sunshine changes up the mechanics from sm64 in a number of significant ways: the gameplay elements and controls added by the water pack/nozzles and the rather significant linear platforming "special" levels. the ratchet and clank games, on the other hand, change nothing regarding the core mechanics and controls, and simply tack on wackier weapons and more irritating mini-game sequences. super mario sunshine had more diverse level designs and mechanics, to boot. add it all up, and there are far more changes and extension to the core gameplay from sm64->sms->smg than there is in the untrammeled sequence of r&c->r&c5. r&c5 really *is* nothing more than the original with a new glossy 704p-upscaled coat of paint, with a few new weapons and mini-games tacked on. the same cannot be said of either sms -or- smg -- period.

is that a bad thing? that's up to you. reviewers find themselves obligated -- for good and ill -- to protest a lack of innovation, which i often -do- think is terribly misguided. on the other hand, you worthless motherfuckers have made me defend nintendo, and for that i hope you get scrotal eczema.

Darji said:

1up:

also from:
AltogetherAndrews

Sorry but this is just a stupid Review and They should get all the hate they earn and thats a shitload of hate.

You're using a random quote to contradict the 1up Review? This entire debate has to be a fraud, right? No one can be this stupid.

Gigglepoo

Captain Glanton said:
You're using a random quote to contradict the 1up Review? This entire debate has to be a fraud, right? No one can be this stupid.

It scares me that he capitlizes "They." Sounds like an angry band of closet goblins or something equally terrifying.

^^ Indeed..

Personally I'd put Shadowrun at about a 7.
Actually I could get behind in 8. Lacking in features sure but the core gameplay is solid as hell.

Darji said:
the first quote is from a review. But yeah 1UP even gave Shadowrun a 8.0
All I'm saying is that opinions vary. You seem to think that every Ratchet and Clank game has to score above a 9 or the world will end.

The series has consistently scored in the mid-8 to low-9 range. Given that, these review scores are right in line with how the series has historically scored.

I missed the part where Insomniac suddenly became EAD. They're a good developer, yes, but aren't these the same guys who made the god-awful Spyro games back on the PS1?

traveler

Not Wario
Darji said:

1up:

also from:
AltogetherAndrews

1. You do realize some people have trouble with some controls and some don't?
2. The "pushes the PS3" comment was a throwaway one tacked onto the end of the sentence, not some big point he was making that took away space from other points. (And since when have character/creature design been bigger discussion points than a game's setpieces, controls, story, etc.?)
3. I dunno why that graphics comment is in there; Joe clearly thinks the game looks fantastic, as indicated by this:

Joe said:
Furthermore, the move to PS3 has been good to our lombax pal. Levels are huge, detailed, and beautiful, and Ratchet himself is now noticeably furry -- a nice touch.

The PS2 comment afterwards is a common "diminishing returns" sentiment among all next-gen games and he hardly let's that stop him from calling the graphics beautiful. It's, once again, a case of the pathetic fanatics searching for every last word they can use in their argument. (See: making a mountain out of a molehill)

4. You're trying to point out bias and using AltogetherAndrew's post as evidence? :lol

Darji

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
You maybe didnt know but most fans of a genre or game have more knowledge about these things as a reviewer who doesnt know shit. And alone the graphic comment is just stupid.

Furthermore, the move to PS3 has been good to our lombax pal. Levels are huge, detailed, and beautiful, and Ratchet himself is now noticeably furry -- a nice touch. Of course, the PS2 games looked so great to begin with that it's harder to find that huge leap that some PS3 games can offer; Future looks fantastic, to be sure, but I experienced only a few of the "holy crap" moments that make one pause and think that the PS3's abilities are really being pushed.

Rachet is one of the best looking games so far and now this?:lol :lol

traveler

Not Wario
Darji said:
You maybe didnt know but most fans of a genre or game have more knowledge about these things as a reviewer who doesnt know shit. And alone the graphic comment is just stupid.

Because Joe Rybicki, formerly of OPM, (God Rest Its Soul) isn't a fan of the Ratchet series? And how the hell can you say that "fans of a genre" know more than a reviewer when the reviewer has actually played the damn thing and they haven't?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
skip said:
yay for gaming
It seems ridiculous that he is that serious, but you might want to tell Joe to be on the look out for suspicious characters outside the 1UP offices. You know, so he doesn't get the Ratchet fan's love knife.

biased for the ps3, maybe! if i worked at 1up -- and i never would or will although i think skip is a very handsome man -- you'd see a LOT lower scores for some of the dross you sony fanboys treat so reverently.

Redd

Strange really those were some great scores for Ratchet and Clank. I'm sure anyone that was going to get R&C still will. I doubt many people were on the fence waiting for these scores to buy R&C but this is gaf so....

Top Bottom