• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores (Issue 221)

ram said:
eh - they add stuff, that was only planned for the ps3 port of the game (lead was the xbox360 since the beginning) :lol

bioshock ps3 next year.

What?

The game was moneyhatted, Irrational Games even said so.

Ouch at scores for NHL 2k8, wow at the FIFA score.

Milky really sticking his neck out with FFT vs PH. :lol

Other than that, bleh. Game Informer kills EGM with exclusives and timeliness of reviews.

AniHawk said:
Did I miss something? Was there a sale that happened with the franchise recently? I can understand the DS, as Microsoft doesn't have a handheld, but the Wii?

Ani is right, MS isn't going to start farming out their franchises to the Wii. The DS is a big enough cash cow without coming back to bite them in the arse, and it could be used to create brand awareness for eventual 360 games *cough* Diddy Kong Racing 2 *uncough*.

Tieno

VP rumor sounds made up to pad out the rumor section and to still keep it a rumor section (as in not everything is true and is going to happen).

Concept17

egmfan89 said:
NBA Live 08(Ps3/360): 6.5 (Bryan), 6.5 (Todd), 7.5 (Garnett)
Stranglehold(360 reviewed)- 7.5 (Joe), 8 (Matt), 7.5 (G. Ford)
Fifa 08(PS3/360): 9 (Todd), 9 (John), 8 (Andrew P.)-Game of the Month (Tie)
Skate (PS3/360): 9 (Nick), 8 (Jennifer), 6.5 (Todd)
FF Tactics: The Lion War (PSP): 8.5 (Jeremy), 8.5 (Milky), 8 (Shoe)
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (PSP): 8 (A. Fitch), 8 (Brooks), 6.5 (Nick)
Castlevania: The dracula X Chronicles (PSP): 8 (Jeremy), 9 (Shane), 8 (Mark)

Wrap Up-
Tony Hawk Whatever- Better than Skate
HL 2 Orange Box-basically say it's perfect
Beautiful Katamari-should be an XBLA game

A shame about Live, the demo was pretty good imo, although it would be hard to surpass 2k.

Stranglehold is right where I would place it.

The Fifa demo is awesome, the game is great... probly the best sports [demo] I've played this year.

Good scores all around for anticipated psp games...

And there is no way Tony Hawk even touches Skate.

TF2 is worthy of full price alone... plus Portal and Ep2... best deal of the year imo.

Katamari should always have been XBLA/psn/whatever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The Zelda '8' has to be about the game being stupidly easy. Pity points for having solid puzzles.

AMIRITE?

AniHawk

Tieno said:
VP rumor sounds made up to pad out the rumor section and to still keep it a rumor section (as in not everything is true and is going to happen).

I dunno. I can see some cool Wii-DS functionality in there. Maybe they'll port over Banjo-Kazooie 3 someday.

AniHawk said:
Did I miss something? Was there a sale that happened with the franchise recently? I can understand the DS, as Microsoft doesn't have a handheld, but the Wii?

I'm saying that in theory it makes sense. VP is waste of Rare, and selling the franchise makes sense since nobody buys it on 360.

TDG

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS): 8 (Milky), 9 (Jeremy), 9 (Shane)-Game of the Month (Tie)

So worse than Minish Cap?
That's probably what they had in mind when making those scores. That's what they wanted to convey to the readers.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Not care about what Todd gives Fifa, but Johns opinion about soccer I care more about, what did he say about it?

I was still gonna get it for the Pro camera alone, but Im curious. From the PES demo, its still way better than Fifa, but the graphics are a bit on an eyesore in comparison ALTHOUGH the faces look WAY more like their real life counterparts in PES.

Akia

egmfan89 said:
Rumors:
Goty version of bioshock on 360 with stuff that was gonna be in the nixed ps3 version

YES! Steam dl plz!

I feel bad PS3 owners this is like pouring salt over a wound

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Huh, two pages and no one has hung Mielke up on a cross for his 8 for Zelda DS? You guys pounced on Play's reviewer like wild dogs but not a word here. Interesting... :lol

AniHawk

Kintaro said:
Huh, two pages and no one has hung Mielke up on a cross for his 8 for Zelda DS? You guys pounced on Play's reviewer like wild dogs but not a word here. Interesting... :lol

Probably because people trust EGM over Play. What did I tell you in that thread? It was all Play-bashing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kintaro said:

Several people have already commented on that

sk3tch

Kintaro said:

:lol @ comparing Play to EGM.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so... Matsuno is working on an Ogre Battle type strategy game with Monolith Soft for Wii? it all makes sense now.

I'm all for Ratchet and Clank going back to more platforming than shooting, but please don't get rid of the customizable control schemes that UYA and Deadlocked had. Not having to hold a shoulder button to strafe is ace.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ani is right, MS isn't going to start farming out their franchises to the Wii. The DS is a big enough cash cow without coming back to bite them in the arse, and it could be used to create brand awareness for eventual 360 games *cough* Diddy Kong Racing 2 *uncough*.

Nintendo owns the copyright to Diddy Kong Racing.

egmfan89

You people reply too fast, so I probably won't get to much, but I'll try to get as many specifics as possible. I haven't read the SR2 cover yet, but if I read it before tomorrow I'll get the tidbits posted ASAP. As for bioshock, Q-Mann also mentions moneyhatting involving it being 360 exclusive. And yeah, Nomad thing is ps2, I just saw it as PSP since it was close to the DS section of the wrap up.

FrankT

egmfan89 said:
You people reply too fast, so I probably won't get to much, but I'll try to get as many specifics as possible. I haven't read the SR2 cover yet, but if I read it before tomorrow I'll get the tidbits posted ASAP. As for bioshock, Q-Mann also mentions moneyhatting involving it being 360 exclusive. And yeah, Nomad thing is ps2, I just saw it as PSP since it was close to the DS section of the wrap up.

Ding, Ding, Ding

MS makes a smart move this generation. I'll assume with that they have locked up the sequel or prequel for that matter.

derder

Obviously someone here just sucks at Skate. I can't wait to actually read what he wrote. There is no justification for this score if he actually played it.

Kingpen

They are FOS on the NHL2k8 score.... no way that game is a 4-5 game. It is packed full of content and better then last years. The control scheme they bitch about is one of about 5 different control schemes you can choose from to play with.

egmfan89

mysticstylez said:
They gave similar reviews for Dark Mirror, mostly whining about the lack of a 2nd analog stick.

Actually, they listed AI as the main problem, though Nick complains about controls. By the way mysticstylez, did you get the issue too?

Busty

Banned
Viva Pinata on the Wii would surely signal the end of MS and Rare's 'civil partnership', though Rare wouldn't develop it would perhaps be a sign that they are no longer fit into MS overall portfolio. I can certainly see the point of putting the IP on the DS, but on the Wii?

It seems to that increasingly MS aren't entirely sure what they should do with Rare. I'm sure if MS stayed the course and really commited to diversifying the 360's first party output Rare could give them some really strong IP that would get some traction at some point.

But it seems to me that after the massive investment they put into the VP TV series and the game's less than stellar returns in sales maybe MS have gotten cold feet with the whole notion of appealing to the whole family rather than just the 18-35 year old man on LIVE.

KillerNapkin said:
I'm saying that in theory it makes sense. VP is waste of Rare, and selling the franchise makes sense since nobody buys it on 360.

Rare aren't doing the 360 version of the Party game so I doubt that they'd be doing the highly dubious Wii version either.

egmfan89

derder said:

Obviously someone here just sucks at Skate. I can't wait to actually read what he wrote. There is no justification for this score if he actually played it.

Tony loving is his main point, saying Skate takes too much work for little reward, and you can't get off your board.

derder said:

There is a lot of justification.

You can't get off your board, getting off your board would make it better to get to certain spots.

Camera angle doesn't give you the best view of whats in front of you, .

Some tricks require movements so similar to others that it's hard to pull them off (curse you 360 Nollie)

Pedestrians that are blind and deaf, cause they sure as hell don't move if they see you or hear you coming.

skate.reel is a fuckin mess, that doesn't work half the time.

traveler

Not Wario
KillerNapkin said:

What? Viva Pinata was my favorite 360 game up until Bioshock's release. I think it's honestly Rare's best game since the original Banjo Kazooie. (But I was never a big Perfect Dark or Goldeneye player. :p)

Top Bottom