• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores - March 07

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
DenogginizerOS said:
Without reading the actual reviews, why are so many putting so much into these scores? Since when is the score good enough to decide. Just because LP got a 6.5 doesn't mean the 8 and 7.5 are supposed to be ignored.

cause if its < 9 gaf thinks its a bad score...

doesnt effect me either way, i disliked both of lost planets demos

theBishop said:
Please show me Nintendo's exclusive contract with Square.

it is possible for a 3rd party to support more than one platform

Except that NOTHING on the PSP from Square has warranted that they make more games for it, other than a reasonably successful VP Lenneth - but nowhere near the success of Final Fantasy III, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, Dragon Quest Heroes, or Children of Mana.

DenogginizerOS said:
Without reading the actual reviews, why are so many putting so much into these scores? Since when is the score good enough to decide. Just because LP got a 6.5 doesn't mean the 8 and 7.5 are supposed to be ignored.

because NeoGaf is full of idiots and EGM review threads are usually a good place to find them.

"WHAT! HOW COULD THEY SCORE THAT GAME IVE YET TO PLAY SO LOW? EGM ARE SO BIAS I HATE THEM!"

So.....

Trace Vs. Hotel Dusk= 6.5/5.5/6.5 - 8.0/8.0/10

PW1 VS. PW2= 7.0/6.5/8.5 - 6.0/8.0/7.0

Just to clarify, I saw the Hotel Dusk score coming.

HotelDuhh.jpg

:lol :lol

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!:D :D

LevelNth

Banned
GDJustin said:
Rogue Galaxy: 7.5, 7.0, 8.0
Phoenix Wright 2: 6.0, 8.0, 7.0
Hotel Dusk: 8.0, 8.0, 10
Metal Gear Port Ops: 9.5, 9.0, 9.0

*Square Enix whipping up new PSP titles because of it's "success"
*Capcom bringing games to PlayStation Network, including remake of Street Fighter 2
All of these make me = :D

Can't wait to see Sucker Punch's new PS3 game too. And it's funny to see just how hard the 1UP/EGM crew are jamming down their readers' throats the rumor that PS3 exclusive titles are going multiplatform. I wonder if they'll tell us a sixteenth time soon?!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I don't usually give a shit about EGM scores, but a 10 for any game deserves some attention. Wow.

BorkBork said:
I don't usually give a shit about EGM scores, but a 10 for any game deserves some attention. Wow.

I think EGM should give your avatar a 10. I'd love a Swedish Chef game where he goes on a murderous rampage. I'd even pay $4.99 for it with purchase of a Value Meal.

LevelNth

Banned
dillenger said:
Rogue Galaxy's review makes you grin? :l
Well, considering they didn't score DC2 that much higher (I think the highest was only 8.5), I wasn't expecting them to give RG much credit, especially since this is 4 years later.

It's still going to be RPGOTY for 07 regardless, and that's all that matters. :)

Amir0x

Banned
LevelNth said:
Well, considering they didn't score DC2 that much higher (I think the highest was only 8.5), I wasn't expecting them to give RG much credit, especially since this is 4 years later.

It's still going to be RPGOTY for 07 regardless, and that's all that matters. :)

no Blue Dragon will win that by default because nobody is going to have a long enough memory for a game that came out in January, unless it's generation defining ala Resident Evil 4 :p

LevelNth

Banned
Amir0x said:
no Blue Dragon will win that by default because nobody is going to have a long enough memory for a game that came out in January, unless it's generation defining ala Resident Evil 4 :p
Then I will make them remember.

DJ Sl4m

Edit: regarding LP

Sorry, but I find it a little hard to believe a demo we all played and loved is really a stinker without us knowing.

Ok, I assume the game is short, if it has the same amount of gameplay time as gears of war, it should be fine.

The controls were fine as well, if the review complains about them then maybe it's the reviewers problem. I haven't heard anyone who played the demo complain about controls, Capcom would have had to totally rework the controls for this to be a knock against the game.

DJ Sl4m

Safe Bet said:
Capcom must have really ****ed up the final version of Lost Planet because the Demo aint no ****ing 6...

That's what I'm saying, I highly doubt it's anything lower than an 8.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hotel Dusk is now on my radar.

It's funny how bad scores generally don't phase people that are already interested in a game, but how good to great scores can make people (like myself) gain interest in something that didn't previously appeal.

Now I have to actually find out what the game is about and how it plays!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Safe Bet said:
Capcom must have really ****ed up the final version of Lost Planet because the Demo aint no ****ing 6...

Capcom f*cked up nothing. It's a decidedly old-school action/shooter, looks pretty, has big bosses and things blow up real good. Day one purchase.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Except that NOTHING on the PSP from Square has warranted that they make more games for it, other than a reasonably successful VP Lenneth - but nowhere near the success of Final Fantasy III, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, Dragon Quest Heroes, or Children of Mana.

Yeah, but VP:L was a simple port of the PS1 game. And the other was a FF/DQ themed version of Monopoly (and I think a port of the PS2 version). It's hardly fair to compare sales of those to original, high profile games.

And by your logic, Capcom shouldn't make any DS games, because nothing has sold as well on it as Monster Hunter Freedom/Portable.

DJ Sl4m

bob_arctor said:
Capcom f*cked up nothing. It's a decidedly old-school action/shooter, looks pretty, has big bosses and things blow up real good. Day one purchase.

EGM also was the lowest reviewer of all credible places for Dead Rising too.

Find the review out of place: Dead Rising review
EGM.jpg

I'm not even going to get into the DoA4 or COD3 review comparisons. CoD3 is the shit online, they must have only played SP, which is only half the game.

EGM the new GameSpot of 2007 for 360 reviews ? :lol

castle007

Banned
Hotel Dusk: 8.0, 8.0, 10 :D :D :D

Phoenix Wright 2: 6.0, 8.0, 7.0

:(

and :lol at the SE and PSP rumor

edit:

buttonbasher said:
PW1 VS. PW2= 7.0/6.5/8.5 - 6.0/8.0/7.0
I guess PW2's score isn't bad at all compared to EGM's review of the first one.

Brashnir

Kusagari said:
Didin't EGM have a rumor like 2 months ago that Dead Rising 2 would come to PS3 over 360?

EGM's rumor section is about as reliable as picking a random poster on GAF and having them make up 10 rumors for you on the spot.

Nameless

dillenger said:

Knowing EGM, and how they operate it certainly makes me grin. With all the reports of Rogue Galaxy having an unoriginal/cliche'd story, simple battle system etc.. etc.. One would think it was a prime target for EGM's nitpicking of death, but those are good scores. I expected 6s with maybe one 7.0

Kreed

Rlan said:
Wasn't Super Swing Golf meant to be good?

The game could have gotten more polish and the controls take getting used if you're coming from Wii Sports Golf, which I think is the main problem people have with the game outside of the presentation. That being said I'd classify it as a good game. Not a GREAT game (Zelda) but a good game.

Amir0x

Banned
i wonder if they went to print with those rumours BEFORE SquareEnix announced Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War for PSP...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
interesting that the 1up reviewer prefers shooting bugs to shooting pirates -- i thought the bug level in the demo was dull while the pirates level was ridiculously, replayably good.

.dmc

Banned
Unbiased Basturd said:
What are the complains about Wiiplay?

It's shallow as hell, I unlocked the 9games in one sitting and haven't put it back in my Wii since. I know it's 2nd biggest selling Wii 'game' in Japan but I still seriously feel that it's only because people want an extra controller and it's hard to say no to the added value of 9 games for $10. That and the fact that Nintendo seem to have bundled 90% of Wiimotes with WiiPlay (in Australia at least, so I'm making assumptions about the rest of the world), so it's difficult not to buy it.

People shouldn't have any expectations of WiiPlay, it's an amusing diversion for 30mins and decent value, but the low scores are spot on.

ethelred

LevelNth said:

Sorry, DQIX already claimed that. But hey, it's still Level 5, you win either way.

Busty

Banned
Would someone be kind enough to either repost or show me where I could find the EGM rumours from Feb 2007 issue?

Had a look around with the search bar but couldn't find the FEB issue, just the Jan 2007 one. But I did find this....

From the SEPT 2006 issue apparently....

Elios83 said:
Sony has made an agreement with Capcom to make Resident Evil 5 and Dead Rising 2 exclusively on PS3.

.....and now this month's it's....

GDJustin said:
*Microsoft paid capcom alot for Dead Rising 2 exclusive.

Oh EGM, how you toy with us so.....

Thanks in advance

A Link to the Snitch said:
FF and DQ are obviously more popular than VP. CoM is arguable, I guess, but that still doesn't disprove the rumor.

ethelred

dillenger said:
What a joke

I'm not sure what the joke is, but DQVIII was RPGOTY in 2004, DQVII pretty much was in 2001, and DQIX will be in 2007. That's how it works with new DQ releases. But hey, like I said, Level 5 fans get to rejoice either way!

Rogue Galaxy probably will be right up there in the running for PS2 RPGOTY, though Persona 3 will give it quite a bit of competition.

.dmc said:
People shouldn't have any expectations of WiiPlay, it's an amusing diversion for 30mins and decent value, but the low scores are spot on.

Wii Play is basically a training app to get new players accustomed to using the Wii controllers, not a standalone minigame collection like WarioWare or even a compilation like Wii Sports. There's some depth to a few of the games - Billiards and Laser Hockey most notably - and there's quite a challenge to obtaining all Platinum medals, but it doesn't hold up as a full game.

If you try and crack the Platinums, or if you have other players round regularly, you'll likely get a fair amount of enjoyment out of it, but don't look at it expecting anything more than a little bonus on top of your Wiimote purchase & you won't be disappointed.

Yoboman

theBishop said:
BTW, that MGS score is proof EGM are worthless for reviews.

Why, you ask? Because they gave Daxter an average of 7.3 and Syphon Filter Dark Mirror a 6.6.

I'm a few hours into MGS, and i feel comfortable saying Daxter and SF are right on par. Giving MGS a 9.2 average is total bullshit if Syphon Filter only gets 6.6.

Kojima-colored glasses, or automatic PSP dismissal (in the case of the other reviews)? you decide.
Why bring down every other review because of two crappy ones?

Ignatz Mouse said:
Well, one good thing may come of this--

Perhaps people will quit putting down Resistance based on its sub-9 review average.

Why would you expect that to happen? Also, that's the second time you've brought up a PS3 game in a Lost Planet review discussion. It's not going to change the impulses of people who only judge games on the numerical score they've received, no matter what console they're released on. It didn't happen with Chromehounds, why would it happen for any other game?

Fady K

So a PSP game is GOTM??

Yay for MGS:pO and Hotel Dusk. But WTF at Lost Planet, Wii Play, and Phoenix Wright 2.

dillenger said:

Actually dillinger, the RG review numbers from EGM are really good (not that I like the mag one bit) because Shadow Hearts Covenant, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, Baten Kaitos Origins, and even our Xenosaga 3 scored the same or lower (BK0) :( Which means if we loved the mentioned RPGs wed probably love RG. Wait for other scores like Gamespots, IGNs, and Gamespy.

ethelred said:
Sorry, DQIX already claimed that. But hey, it's still Level 5, you win either way.

I would agree that it would be the best selling RPG or even game in Japan in 2006. But the best RPG, i dont know, just because its DQ doesnt mean it will be. Hey, were still not halfway through the first month of the year. Maybe DQIX wont even be in the top 5.

Fady K

ethelred said:
I'm not sure what the joke is, but DQVIII was RPGOTY in 2004, DQVII pretty much was in 2001, and DQIX will be in 2007. That's how it works with new DQ releases. But hey, like I said, Level 5 fans get to rejoice either way!

Rogue Galaxy probably will be right up there in the running for PS2 RPGOTY, though Persona 3 will give it quite a bit of competition.

DQVIII wasnt RPG of the year in 2004, ask people who played the key RPGs of 2004 and theyll tell you that the best RPG of 04 is SHADOW HEARTS: COVENANT by far :D

As for DQVII being the best RPG of 2001...id agree...best RPG of 2001 on PSone

Tiktaalik

Interest in Hotel Dusk x 1000!!!

*Neversoft will develop the next Guitar Hero
Hmmmm lets "fix" things that aren't broken. Good idea suits!

Really high scores for MGS:pO. A bit surprising since the controls make me go ARRRGGGGHHH!!! but I'm only a few hours into the game so we'll see....

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Cosmonaut X said:
Wii Play is basically a training app to get new players accustomed to using the Wii controllers, not a standalone minigame collection like WarioWare or even a compilation like Wii Sports. There's some depth to a few of the games - Billiards and Laser Hockey most notably - and there's quite a challenge to obtaining all Platinum medals, but it doesn't hold up as a full game.

If you try and crack the Platinums, or if you have other players round regularly, you'll likely get a fair amount of enjoyment out of it, but don't look at it expecting anything more than a little bonus on top of your Wiimote purchase & you won't be disappointed.

Pretty much. Like you said, it's for new players. There's no way I would have bought this game if didn't come with the extra controller. It really should have been combined with Wii Sports and included as a pack-in game with every Wii in every territory.

Top Bottom